HELP NEEDED URGENT

I just picked up an LG RT-42PX10 for the bedroom today, the sales guy at HN even told me that to get a great pic out of it get a progresive DVD player (and I have one) and also make sure you get GOOD quality cables. (I ended up getting the Monster componant cable set at $279) ouch, but damned if I can see ANY of the problems that other people have had here..

If you buy a decent Plasma, make sure you use VERY good quality cables etc..

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not read all this thread, BUT ... moving to properly-done progressive-scan from interlaced should make the big difference. On plasma, there shouldn't be any noticeable difference between good $40 component cables and anything with "monster" in the name. (The "monster" refers to price). Only if you're projecting a big (100 inch+) image should you even begin to notice the minor differences in such cables, and then only if there is a longish cable run, and enough equipment/wires about to cause interference.

Bought the Pioneer DV-373 today to replace the 535. Problem Solved! Almost all instances of banding are now non-existant, and the picture looks crisper in progressive mode. There is still some evidence of the banding (especially in fades in/out) but after inspecting the frames on the computer - using CRT - i've put it down to the actual mpeg encoding and not having a high enough bitrate to play with.

I'm very happy with this solution, as the new player is also alot quieter, and has seamless layer changes (wan't expecting this!). I was a little skeptical at first, but now can say without a doubt that the LG plasma definitely shines when dealing with a progressive signal.

As for the $300 cables - No thanks, i'm not that big a sucker.

Thanks again to everyone in this thread :blink:

I've read all the above posts but I gotta ask are all plasm's really inferior (the SD type) to CRT's?

If I get my $4500 back from Harvey's what is my best option for changeover?

Cheers

Craig

SD Plasma's have a vertical resolution of 480 lines whilst CRT tubes have a resolution of 576lines, even a 20 year old black and white TV has a higher resolution than a SD plasma!

However because of the much better inputs on a plasma (DVI/Component) compared to a 20year old TV (RF) you wont notice the difference, however on all new CRT TV's with component inputs it should give you a much better picture then a SD plasma.

Staden if may point here. This incorrect assumption regarding SD Plasmas seems to repeat and repeat. :blink:

It is simply NOT correct.

When you refering to PAL TV they are interlaced and COME no where the native resolution of a SD plasmas as they are PROGRESSIVE not interlaced.

The standard PAL sets handle 576i NOT 576p which is ENHANCED defintion or Channel &'s HD mode!

So if all things are are taken into account it is effective approx 80% gain from interlaced TV's gain due to its progressive native panel on ALL SD plasmas.

This is your error right here:

576i / 2 does not equal native 576p. Neither is a 576i display GREATER then 480p vertical display.

I've carried out all the tests.

Get computer plug it into a PAL TV at 1024 * 768.

Now plug the same computer via DVI or VGA input at the same resolution into a Plasma.

Compare and report back to me. You'll soon change your mind TOTALLY.

Now the PAL TV will be almost unreadable. The plasma will be readable but with a pronounced screen door effect on the static desktop..but it will picture perfect and READABLE and from a distance AS SHARP as a computer monitor.

DA

I'll second DA's comments.

I'm sure staden didn't actually do a side by side comparison of a 20 year old black and white TV and a SD plasma fed from the same source.

Perhaps we could organise a shoot out. Has anyone got a 20yr old B&W TV? :blink:

I was just saying that the 20year old tv has a higher resolution. So why by a modern cutting edge TV that has a lower resolution then an old TV.

Most reasonable TV's these days do progressive scan anyway.

And also you wouldn't be feeding a progressive signal into the SD plasma as you would have a SD set top box. And SD is 576i not 576p, so you are showing a interlaced picture, on a progressive panel.

And it seems that some plasma makers have realised this fact and are only producing hi-def plasmas (Panasonic)

I was just saying that the 20year old tv has a higher resolution.

Even if your 20yr old TV could display 16:9 it is unlikely it would be capable of more than about 350 TV lines. As the SD screen has 480 horizontal pixels per picture height, it has better horizontal resolution.

The debate about vertical resolution is based on an incorrect assumption - namely that SD has 576 lines of resolution.

Here's a quote from Broadcast Engineering that explains it:

"Vertical resolution is related to, but not equal to, the number of active scanning lines. In interlaced television, the vertical resolution is equal to the number of active lines multiplied by the Kell factor, usually taken to be 0.7. The resulting "statistical" vertical resolution is expressed in lines per picture height (LPH) and is independent of the transmission bandwidth. In the 525/60 scanning standard, the vertical resolution is equal to 0.7 x 485 = 339LPH."

The same applies to 576i, i.e. it has 403 LPH vertical resolution.

The whole article is here

now you are getting complicated. :blink:

My point was PAL TV resolution is 576 lines, so why buy an expensive TV that will only display 480 lines???

A cheap TV for around $800 will show 576lines of progressive scan picture. So when you are paying $5000 you should spend a bit extra to get a TV that is up to the current standard, and should be capable for future standards.

HI Staden

That is whole point. Plasmas are not just marketing hype as you imply. It is entirely different technology.

All we are saying it is entirely incorrect to compare 576i to 480p true progressive.

This idea is only SD into Plasma is proven by thr many exxperiences of UPSCALING to 576p for example THEN displaying on the Plasma.

Anyone by carefully connecting verious componets to a SD Plasma will get more then satisfactory results then a CRT based smaller screen in SD.

The theory also applies to progressive widescreen displays > 100cm. The result will be more impact then lesser sized CRT displays.

Regards

DA

Yes, to my eyes the quality increases when you disable the XD™ engine. I also noticed the screen flicker brighter every now and again with it enabled while watching various DVDs - especially noticeable in the "black bars" on widescreen movies.

One such movie i experiment with was True Lies, and I took note of the times when it happened, and then replayed those frames and found that it did it on the same frame(s) every time. I can only assume this has something to do with the XD™ thing sampling the picture at this frame and adjusting the brightness to compensate for something?? The algorithm must be poor because it flickers for only 1 to 2 frames in a scene and is very noticeable.

btw, this is all through component connection, using my old player DV-535 - i will test it out on the new DV-373 to see if it makes any difference - assuming i can recall what scenes exhibit the effect!

• 3 weeks later...

Please Help,

I have just prurchased a new LG 42" Plasma model No. RT42PX10. I am noticing a screen flicker between the brightness and darkness. The problem is intermittent and affects the whole screen. The best way to describe it is that it seems as if the brightness and darkness is stuck between settings and flickers between the 2. (Hope that makes sense)

I have contacted LG about this which they then replaced my panel.....which I imediatly sent back as the flicker was still present and the solarisation of the panel was terrible. Virtually unwatchable. My original set was sent back to me. They told me I was getting some local interference from my house.

What they didn't know was my brother in law bought the same model. I went to view his set and again it has the dreaded flicker.

It is very noticable when you make your own settings and drastically pull back all the lg factory settings,

Contrast - 45, Brightness - 58, Colour - 20, Sharpness - 55

XD Engine on and high definition channel 7 or 9 loop.

It is also very noticable at night when ambient light levels are low.

It happens when on HDTV 1080i connected via DVI

Foxtel connected via RCA

DVD connected via Component

TV via RF

All connection are with high grade cables

By turning XD engine off it is drastically reduced but still present.

Round three see's me talking again to LG who have now stated that it is some sort of brightness modulation and it is inherrent in all plasma screens. There is no fix and I will have to go back to the retailer for any further dicussions ????

My questions are

1. Is anyone else seeing this ???

2. Has anyone ever heard of this with other models of plasma ???

3. Any answers ???

Thanks for taking the time to read this and please let me know if you are experiencing a similar problem.

LuckyLuke - Unlucky at the momement

Yes frozenpea,

I read your post, seems LG may have a problem with their panels. I went back to Harvey Normans today and showed them what I meant. Nobody actually noticed it before. I had them set up a HD set top box with component connection and hey presto...... They now know what I'm talkin about.

Still don't know if this is inherent through all plasma panels as LG have stated and they have agreed to let me swap it over. Only prob is the next best plasma they have on display is the NEC 42"..... no speakers, no tuner....... Have to buy another HDSTB and is more expensive.

Does your panel flicker through all modes.... AV1,2...DVI...Component etc.

Pretty dissapointed at the momement with the whole thing and can not beleive LG are continuing to sell to unsuspecting people. 4 out of 4 panels I have now viewed all have the same problem. And 1 was purchased through a totally different distributor.

Does anyone have any experience with the Hitachi or Fujitsu 42" SD 850x480 models or links to any good reviews ???

I am just interested if anyone else has this problem on other models or brands aswell.

I only experienced the flicker with XD enabled. Because i put it down to the XD pretty early on, I've never had the chance to see if it flickers during anything other that DVDs through Component2.

I am surprised that disabling XD doesn't solve the problem for you, because I haven't seen the problem rear it's head since turning it off over a month ago.

Can you give an example of where it flickers during a particular DVD? Perhaps one of us who aren't suffering the problem can check it on our panels.

I've had this model for a couple of months and haven't had any flicker problems, with XD off or on through any connection. I have a progressive scan dvd player and the LG HDSTB.

Appears you've seen this problem on several different plasmas and if you have seen the problem outside your home setup, that discounts a piece of your gear causing the problem. Don't know if plasmas can be a part of a bad batch or not, but despite all the bad press this model has had from some people, since receiving my STB and rectifying the audio lag problem I have been able to get it set so that I am very happy withy the picture produced. I agree that some plasmas may be able to produce a slightly better picture but that also comes at a price.

Please note,

I am not unhappy with the picture quality on the lg screen, when connected to the HD set top box the picture quality is fantastic.

I am more concerned that maybe I have a bad panel or pc board which is causing the problem.

This is why I am curious to hear from anyone else having the problem.

I have turned off XD engine and it is drastically reduced, may flicker a couple of times in a night.

It also happens on all connections.

Maybe I have to live with it ???

LuckyLuke,

Yes, I am aware of the flicker you are talking about and have noticed it on some programs. It is particularly evident on some Foxtel channels (eg ESPN, Discovery) where the general picture quality is quite poor (NB I only have an RCA connection to Foxtel). However, the flickering I see is not as bad as you describe (slightly annoying at first, but now I don't really notice it).

As a few people have said, disabling the XD gets rid of this flicker totally, but I like leaving the XD on.

However, digital free to air programs viewed via the LG STB (via DVI), there is no flicker at all even with the XD on. My progressive scan DVD (via component), also no problem, even with XD on.

In general, I find this plasma as good as any SD plasma I have seen at the stores, even the ones $1500 - $2000 more, so I would stick with the LG if you can.

Yes frozenpea,

I read your post, seems LG may have a problem with their panels. I went back to Harvey Normans today and showed them what I meant. Nobody actually noticed it before. I had them set up a HD set top box with component connection and hey presto...... They now know what I'm talkin about.

Still don't know if this is inherent through all plasma panels as LG have stated and they have agreed to let me swap it over. Only prob is the next best plasma they have on display is the NEC 42"..... no speakers, no tuner....... Have to buy another HDSTB and is more expensive.

Does your panel flicker through all modes.... AV1,2...DVI...Component etc.

Pretty dissapointed at the momement with the whole thing and can not beleive LG are continuing to sell to unsuspecting people. 4 out of 4 panels I have now viewed all have the same problem. And 1 was purchased through a totally different distributor.

Does anyone have any experience with the Hitachi or Fujitsu 42" SD 850x480 models or links to any good reviews ???

I am just interested if anyone else has this problem on other models or brands aswell.

See my post from Aug 6th - swapped LG for Hitachi SD. Much happier with picture.