Sign in to follow this  
djjon

HELP NEEDED URGENT

Hi all

We had a Philips 42fd9953 plasma screen, soon to be sent back where it came from. Picture quality is not exactly great on moving faces...Anyway.....

Looking at replacing it with the LG RT42PX10.

Anyone know anything about it?

Thanks

Jonathan

Hi all

We had a Philips 42fd9953 plasma screen, soon to be sent back where it came from. Picture quality is not exactly great on moving faces...Anyway.....

Looking at replacing it with the LG RT42PX10.

Anyone know anything about it?

Thanks

Jonathan

Dude honestly go the extra and get the Hitachi

I had the same Philips and sent it back inplace i have the Sammy 46" LCD RPTV

I checked out the LG a couple of weeks ago and my conclusion was that it aint that good,even for the price.I have checked out alot of low end plasmas over the last couple of months as i wanted a plasma but wasnt prepared to spend 6 or 7K.I agree with glenncol about getting the Hitachi if you can afford it of course.In terms of low end plasmas they really arent worth it IMHO if you carnt stretch the budget for a quality plasma display like me then you should wait and save more money for a better display or get something else.I have seen the Fujitsu 42VHA30 plasma which i think is the best SD plasma ever in my opinion for $6.5K with free desk top stand and $500 Myer voucher.Good luck and good move getting rid of the Philips.

Cheers Ryan

I can back up Ryan's statement on the Fuji 42VHA30. It's a lot of money (mine was 6.3K) but nothing underneath comes close in picture quality and you could spend a lot more for no real improvement.

a got a 4 nec vp4 the other day for $5500 each it had a better picture then the similar fujitsu for $6500.the new lg my price was $4250 but the customer wanted nec.

:blink: Guys I have had an LG RT-42PX10 for two weeks now and love it.Please ignore some of the F.O.S responses to some of these forums.Its features and pictures are fantastic (anyone who has seen it has been impressed) and I think some are struggling to justify other much more expensive and lesser quality options.The only imperfection so far is a very slight out of synch sound with both SonyDVD andDGTec STB. Any suggestions from anyone with what I do about that (We're talking very slight here)?I havent even approached the manufacturers to see if it can be adjusted.

Yeah but this display only has a resolution of 852 x 480, which is less than I get on my PAL CRT. Why would anyone spend $5K on an inadequate piece of equipment like this? Being an early adoptor is one thing, but ???

If you want a plasma, wait 12 months until we get proper HD res displays for today's sub-SD prices, or buy a Hitachi (1024x1024 - the closest you can et to HD for a reasonable price).

John

I agree with Jonathon. I have had my LG RT42PX10 for 3 days now and am happy with it. It look crystal clear in about 4 shops I went to, and they were not playing animated DVD's but normal movies that you see the quality. I cannot see the justification in price to buy other brands such as Fujitsu or Hitachi. At least LG manufactures their own panels and do not buy off each other such as Fujitsu, Hitachi, Sony and Phillips do.

I have a few questions though;

1. I have an older Pioneer DVD player. I was told that progressive scan DVD's would give a better picture and was told no Pioneer DVD player at the momenth does progressive scan (except for the very expensive models). I have noticed a difference between the quality of my DVD and the one I saw in the shop. My picture does not seem as clear, I assume the explanation is "noise" but not sure what that means!? Would this be because of the progessive scan? I have connected via component video with Acoustic Research cables.

2. I have connect my Austar satellite to the plasma via S-video as thats all there is on the box to choose from (except normal yellow RCA). It again seems like there is "noise" and the picture is not 100% clear. You notice it more on close up on faces where the picture seems fake and colours do not seem to blend. Is this because of the connection and/or Austar output?

3. Is there anything such as an S-Video to Component cable to make the above Austar picture better?

Mossy

Today I received my new LG RT-42PX10 and so far it's great.

It's only an SD unit but I can't tell from where I'm sitting(LOL). In fact I'm actually sitting much closer to the unit than is recommended in the user guide and even the analog PAL reception looks good. I can't tell that it has a lower vertical resolution than my Philips 80cm(4:3) crt tv. In fact, the plasma's screen size is 20mm higher than the Philips so the reduced resolution should be even more noticable, but it isn't. I also have a TEAC SD STB, a Strong SD PVR and a Panasonic combo VCR/DVD connected. All give excellent picture quality (haven't tried the VCR yet though).

I've compared many Plasma's over the last few weeks from the Pioneer HD to the TEAC SD. I found the Teac and Sony model(s) in particular to give an inferior picture to the LG. In fact with the LG next to a Sony that cost 50% more, the Sony looked terrible even though they were both being fed the same HD signal.

So far I have 2 minor quibbles about the LG. It only has 2 RCA A/V inputs (as well as componant/RGB/DVI), I new about this before purchase, and the auto screen aspect ratio sometimes gets it wrong and you need to manually select the correct aspect ratio.

Now you also get a free LG HD STB with the purchase, but it's by redemption so I need to send away for it.

Cheers,

Rob

hello,

Do yourself a favour and compare any SD plasma you are looking at with the NEC VP4 plasma.

It has the some of the best contrast ( LG has some of the worst)

The most colour steps on the market, which you will acctually notice more on animated film, so Nemo and the like are goods to test plasmas on.

And also compare the natural skin tones, Lg's are generally red.

Put this together with a 3 year warranty out of the box and tou have one of the best value plasmas around. considering retail is $5999...

TVDOOD

No mate.LG clarity and skintones are fine.Channel 9 HD test pattern picture is as close to perfect as I could want. However on weak or poor quality inputs faces can occasionally look a bit like a weather map but never for very long.With prime quality signals its fantastic

I think I'm going to have to retract my previous support for this LG. The picture lagging behind the sound and the patchy looking skin tones (as Richard described as a weather map effect) is NOT what I spend 5 grand to have. Last night I set up my CRT TV on the same STB as the plasma and the picture on the LG lagged noticably behind the conventional TV, so the sound was in sync on the conventional TV but not on the plasma. As as the "weather map" effect goes, this seems to happen not only on skin but other graduated surfaces of different shades of similar colour, as if the display is working with a limited range of colours. I have what I believe to be a very strong signal so in my opinion it's not signal strength related. The same signal into my conventional TV produces properly graduated colours. Also the plasma doesn't have anywhere near as much detail in the picture as my conventional TV. I didn't notice this until I had them side by side. For instance peoples hair on the LG is almost like a plastic mask over their heads. I think this is due to the same lack of colour graduation that is so noticable on skin.

I'm starting to hate this LG and wish I'd never bought it. I'm going to see what my retailer says about it today.

Rob

Rob,

You are spot on mate, the colour steps or grey scale is very poor out of the LG's.

From my research it is the worst out of any Name brand on the market, although it does sell at a low price. But as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for...

If you are considering other brands an NEC has the best available for not that much more money. It retails for $5999 but you should be able to sqeeze a salesman to about $5500..Not that much more than the LG..

If you want to test this in any plasma put on Finding Nemo and check out the colour graduation in the water behind the main characters.

TVDOOD

Rpant

Just so you don't feel so bad I can confirm that I did the same thing as you.

I bought the RT-42PX10 last Thursday. Set it up and by Saturday rang the retailer to pick it up on Tuesday - for a refund. Like you, I was initially impressed by the PQ (at the store) but after viewing several of our DVD's there's no way I can live with it! You have to see Twister to truely appreciate the poor picture processing. In some scenes the actors look as if they have clowns make-up.

I'm going to Megamart next week to buy a different TV. I'm going to steer away from the plasma'a altogether. The LCD's can be similarly crappy.

I'm going to decide between either the Samsung SP47Q7HRX - any details other than the list price,about $4,000 are sketchy - or the 47" Hitachi. Both are CRT RPTV's, and both can display a HD resolution as well. Retravision have the Hitachi on special at the moment for just under $3,300.

I will have a look at the Samsung LCD RPTV's but I'm a bit suss on how they will handle the image processing as well. I'm taking Twister to test them out.

I can also confirm that I set up my 68cm LG TV next to the plasma and it ate it up for pictuer quality. It's just a smaller screen.

I'll add some comments later.

a got a 4 nec vp4 the other day for $5500 each it had a better picture then the similar fujitsu for $6500.the new lg my price was $4250 but the customer wanted nec.

I had a look at the NEC and Fujitsu side by side tonight at Mega Mart

I dont know why the NEC looked a little fuzzy compared to the Fuji

I was offered the NEC at $5000 including desktop stand and i can get the Fuji for $5800 including stand

Ive had my LG plasma LG RT42PX10 for 2 days. Watching DVDs i dont have a problem with it. Its only when i start watching TV channels that i start not too like this plasma.

Like others i have notice that the sound is not in sync. Noticed this last night while watching Rove Live. Its only just out. But the funny thing is its not all TV shows for some reason. Why would this be?

Why would LG sell a plasma like this? Surely they know about this problem.

DO you think that the HD box that LG will be providing will make any difference to this?

I saw this LG plasma hooked up to a HD set top box at JB today and they had the channel 9 HD demo going. Looked excellent!!

Also is there anyway to make the colour bands blank instead of grey?

cheers

Ive had my LG plasma LG RT42PX10 for 2 days. Watching DVDs i dont have a problem with it. Its only when i start watching TV channels that i start not too like this plasma.

Like others i have notice that the sound is not in sync. Noticed this last night while watching Rove Live. Its only just out. But the funny thing is its not all TV shows for some reason. Why would this be?

Why would LG sell a plasma like this? Surely they know about this problem.

DO you think that the HD box that LG will be providing will make any difference to this?

I saw this LG plasma hooked up to a HD set top box at JB today and they had the channel 9 HD demo going. Looked excellent!!

Also is there anyway to make the colour bands blank instead of grey?

cheers

What HD Box you running?

Hey guys, I have the same skin solarization issue on the LG. Has anyone called LG to complain? Perhaps it can be solved with a software upgrade or it was a bad batch?

As a side note does anyone know what the cinema option does? The manual does not have much info on it.

I was looking at the LG and NEC 42" (106cm) plasmas side-by-side [and on special] in a store yesterday. The LG PQ was marginally better than the NEC, but neither were a patch on HD clarity through my cheap desktop 17" LCD.

They were much bigger though! :blink:

Hey guys, I have the same skin solarization issue on the LG.  Has anyone called LG to complain? Perhaps it can be solved with a software upgrade or it was a bad batch?

As a side note does anyone know what the cinema option does?  The manual does not have much info on it.

I had always been interested in getting a plasma at some stage, but it was because of this person and the F1GP, that I decided I needed one!

So I've been researching since, including lurking around here.

In finally deciding on a purchase, I took into account:

Opinionated comments and biased anti-korea opinions (LG, Samsung)

Varying plasma setups in different shops

Different sources between plasmas displayed

Different display settings between displayed plasmas, eg, brightness, dig noise reduction, etc.

Operating System useability / ease of use

Features and variety of inputs...

The list goes on. I actually ended up making a spreadsheet that I used to make it easier to compare apples with apples.

It wasn't until late last night, at good ole Megamart, that I finally had an area to myself - no customers, no annoying opinionated sales people.

I had confirmed a suspicion of mine, they were all on customised user settings.

So I went and set them all back to basics - standard screens, normal color temp, etc. I turned their respective "signal processing" on, checked they were all using the same inputs, then stepped back...

Interesting that the ones they preferred to sell, no longer looked as good, side by side.

At the time, LG was leading the pack due to their offerings/flexibilty in functionality, OS GUI ease of use, manufacturing, etc, etc - but I noticed the LG was a bit hazy in physical comparison. That's when I realised I forgot to set the brigtness, etc, to similar settings across the "benchmark".

Once done, it was a pretty impressive picture (the brightness was a fair way up).

The real test happened when the uninformed, unbiased, "it's just a tv" girlfriend turned up. She sat back on the worn out couch and after a long moment of silence, pointed out one that she felt looked the most realistic.

It was the LG...

So I decided, in reality, I won't have more than one brand of plasma at home side by side, to notice the small differences between and I was able to get the LG for $4048 + their new HD STB. Almost $6krrp worth.

That's pretty good bang for your buck in my books.

It'll keep me happy for a couple of years until HD is broadcast more and HD PDP's become more developed and the resultant economics makes them cheaper.

Until then, I should be happy watching SD Foxtel Digital and SD DVD's.

This was my first post here, so sorry if it's dragged on. I just hope it's been useful to someone.

:blink:

Just an update on my earlier posts...

I've had this LG for nearly 2 weeks now and I have to admit it's growing on me. I'm satrting to get past the intermittant voice sync issue and the sometimes very noticable picture solarization effect. This effect is also noticable on other parts of the picture, not just skin, but it is more noticable on some programs and hardly there at all on others. Maybe it's got to do with the quality of the source material, I don't really know. Over the last week or so I've been going to every shop I can find to compare plasmas and I've come to the conclusion that they ALL have this problem to some extent, some like a couple of Sony's I saw looked even worse than the LG. Even the top of the range Sony and Pioneer HD's had signs of this.

When I first complained to my retailer he was really good and said that LG's service was far better than most and they would fix the problem or I could return it. He contacted LG for me with my 2 problems. LG responded that they knew of the sound sync problem but it's only 0.3 seconds and it should be fixed in a year. (I assume they mean in future models). The picture problem they couldn't understand what I meant, so I took a digital picture of it and emailed it to the retailer who forwarded it to LG. They responded by saying they will send a tech out to my home to check and I should get a phone call soon to arrange a suitable time. That was over 1 week ago and I've heard nothing from LG or the retailer.

So much for LG's great service!!!

If I had found a Plasma that I new didn't have these problems, then I would have pressed them harder for a resolution, but I don't want to change to another brand at extra cost just to find out it's not any better.

So the bottom line is I'm keeping the LG(I probably haven't a choice anyway), as it can produce what I consider a good picture and it does "mostly" enhance my viewing pleasure compared to my old 80CM CRT. One thing that did surprise me is that the pictures from my VCR look better on the plasma, I suspect the lack of detail in the plasma picture doesn't show the noise I used to see on the CRT's.

P.S. I know it's early days, but has anyone received the bonus STB yet? It looks nice on LG's website.

glenncol - im not running any HD box. I only got the LG plasma on tuesday. And I sent away for the free HD box on wednesday. So 8 weeks to go :blink:

I get the out of sync both with my foxtel and just through the antenna.

I get the out of sync both with my foxtel and just through the antenna.

If you run the sound straight into an amplifier and don't use the built in speakers does the problem still exist?

Adam

I use a Opentel STB with optical out & AV2 SVIDEO on the Plasma, I think I have experience lip sync issues twice and just assumed it was the broadcast.