Sign in to follow this  
PaulM1503559663

Foxtel on 2 TV's from 1 STB

Could someone please tell me if I have the idea right? I will be getting an antenna person in to do the manual labour, but I want to be sure that we are both on the same wavelength. :wacko:

I am wanting to provide both a FTA antenna feed, and an RF feed from a non-iQ Foxtel STB to a TV in another room.

After reading through this, I take it that I will need to run a quad shield cable from the Foxtel box to one of two "IN" sockets of a 2-to-1 splitter (which is actually a 1-to-2 splitter in reverse). The other "IN" should be the feed from the antenna. The "OUT" should go to the room with the other TV (presumable ending at a wall plate). I then daisy chain the RF cables first through my FTA STB, then to the TV which I tune into the Foxtel RF channel.

Is this all OK?

As far as I know this 'splitter' is called directional coupler - it has TAP, IN, OUT ... I am not sure if normal 2-way splitter will work, but this coupler looks exactly the same as "T"-type 2-way splitter.

it will allow you to combine RF signal from your Foxtel and your antenna ...

Can't remeber how to connect it but I should have these couplers in the van and can go and have a look.

ask your antenna guy when he will be doing the job

cheers

Edited by Sidor

As far as I know this 'splitter' is called directional coupler - it has TAP, IN, OUT ... I am not sure if normal 2-way splitter will work, but this couple looks exactly as "T"-type 2-way splitter.

it will allow you to combine RF signal from your Foxtel and your antenna ...

Can't remeber how to connect it but I should have these couplers in the van and can go and have a look.

ask your antenna guy when he will be doing the job

cheers

Thanks again, Sidor.

I presume you refer to the fact that there is only one yellow composite video port on the rear of the STU. What is connected to the two SCART connectors. Presumably one (the TV SCART) is conncted to your TV via composite or component. Whats on the VCR SCART, if nothing then get an adaptor from Dick Smith (P6675) $15, this will give you access to composite video and L&R audio.

Cyril

Hi, Just to be clear then, We have the cheap STU unit not IQ so If I buy the AV Sender unit all i would do then is connect the AV sender Transmiter to the VCR Scart. ? So it is ok to have both scart conncetions on at the same time ? This would also then mean that the Main tv where the Box is does nto have to be on ?

Slav

Hi, Just to be clear then, We have the cheap STU unit not IQ so If I buy the AV Sender unit all i would do then is connect the AV sender Transmiter to the VCR Scart. ? So it is ok to have both scart conncetions on at the same time ? This would also then mean that the Main tv where the Box is does nto have to be on ?

Slav

That is correct

Hi

I've been reading through this thread - it is really excellent and I think it has enabled me to devise a solution to my problem.

If I could, I just wanted to check with one of the experts that my solution is going to work.

I currently have 3 tvs (standard CRTs) and a computer (with dvb usb tuner) running from my rooftop aerial via a four way split. I have a foxtel unit on my main tv and am transmitting it wirelessly to just one of the tvs. The reception for the transmitted foxtel is OK, but gets a lot of interference. So what i want to do is have a good foxtel signal available on all of my tvs.

My plan is: run coax cable from the RF output on my foxtel STU to a reversed two-way split in the roof, and run the coax cable from the rooftop aerial to the other input on the split. From the output of the split I will run coax cable to my existing four way split. I will then add an infrared unit to allow remote access from other rooms

Will this work? Will the signal be strong enough? Will I be able to view foxtel on my computer?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi

I've been reading through this thread - it is really excellent and I think it has enabled me to devise a solution to my problem.

If I could, I just wanted to check with one of the experts that my solution is going to work.

I currently have 3 tvs (standard CRTs) and a computer (with dvb usb tuner) running from my rooftop aerial via a four way split. I have a foxtel unit on my main tv and am transmitting it wirelessly to just one of the tvs. The reception for the transmitted foxtel is OK, but gets a lot of interference. So what i want to do is have a good foxtel signal available on all of my tvs.

My plan is: run coax cable from the RF output on my foxtel STU to a reversed two-way split in the roof, and run the coax cable from the rooftop aerial to the other input on the split. From the output of the split I will run coax cable to my existing four way split. I will then add an infrared unit to allow remote access from other rooms

Will this work? Will the signal be strong enough? Will I be able to view foxtel on my computer?

Any advice would be appreciated.

That sounds about right,dont forget to get pictures on the other tv's you need to tune in the channel.

That sounds about right,dont forget to get pictures on the other tv's you need to tune in the channel.

This is exactly the info i'm after also , however what type of splitter will be appropriate? and what type of amp ? i'll be having about 8 outlets . Does it work the same on cable foxtel as satellite foxtel ?

This is exactly the info i'm after also , however what type of splitter will be appropriate? and what type of amp ? i'll be having about 8 outlets .

The above approach may work OK, but the disadvantage with using a simple splitter in reverse is that it 'mixes' everything in to the other signal. Including unwanted signals and noise etc.

The better way is to use a mixer, which essentially filters the inputs to itself based on a couple of frequency ranges (selected when you choose the right filter characteristics). Think of it like a combiner with filters in it. So one input might take the FTA (Free To Air) channels up to CH36, then the other input might take CH40 upwards. You put the Foxtel box on this input and set a high channel number on the box's output.

The mixer would go upstream of the 4 way splitter. The antenna with FTA would go in one leg, the Foxtel box into the other.

The above approach may work OK, but the disadvantage with using a simple splitter in reverse is that it 'mixes' everything in to the other signal. Including unwanted signals and noise etc.

The better way is to use a mixer, which essentially filters the inputs to itself based on a couple of frequency ranges (selected when you choose the right filter characteristics). Think of it like a combiner with filters in it. So one input might take the FTA (Free To Air) channels up to CH36, then the other input might take CH40 upwards. You put the Foxtel box on this input and set a high channel number on the box's output.

The mixer would go upstream of the 4 way splitter. The antenna with FTA would go in one leg, the Foxtel box into the other.

Your a wealth of knowledge Charlesc , would you have any examples of the 'mixer' ?

...would you have any examples of the 'mixer' ?

macca013, grab a copy of the Laceys.tv catalog in pdf form here.

Page 58 talks about this type of application, the mixer is bottom left page 24. Laceys are in Melbourne; they usually sell to trade. Contact them, and let me know how you go.

macca013, grab a copy of the Laceys.tv catalog in pdf form here.

Page 58 talks about this type of application, the mixer is bottom left page 24. Laceys are in Melbourne; they usually sell to trade. Contact them, and let me know how you go.

Charlesc , i've contacted them and they've designed me something , they're very helpful . Basically the FTA antenna and the RF output from the foxtel go into a mixer as you suggested then to an amplifier then to a splitter and out to the tv's , i don't have the equipment yet but sounds good , will let you know how i go . Thanks for the help

...i don't have the equipment yet but sounds good , will let you know how i go.

Excellent, sounds like you are on the way to a working result.

That approach of getting the Foxtel signal up to the input on an existing splitter to get out to all the TVs is a good one. Saves having to try and use the radio link stuff, which invariably gets interference.

Newbie here... pls be gentle...

Current setup:-

Smart wiring in the house

Living Room

Wall plate with 3 connectors:-

1) Foxtel Paytv to STU - working

2) FTA (from antenna) to LCD with built-in HD tuner - working

3) Connection to feed back signal back to main distribution unit

Have RF out from STU to Connection #3 and can get FTA (analog) and foxtel on other tvs in the house ok.

When i connect the FTA cable into the RF in of the STU, all channels (analog

and foxtel) go "bad".......

Reading this thread, does it seem to be interference between FTA and the Foxtel RF output??

Want to be able to get FTA (analog+ digital) + Foxtel on the other tvs (mix of old and new tvs)....

Do i need to use a reverse 2to1 splitter to "merge" the FTA + foxtel signals back up connection #3?

thanks

Want to be able to get FTA (analog+ digital) + Foxtel on the other tvs (mix of old and new tvs)....

Don't all the TVs that have digital Tuners in them get Digital TV?

Don't know your system details but for old TVs (that don't have digital Tuners inbuilt) you are going to need:-

A Digital FTA STB that feeds back into main distribution unit on RF channel (eg has RF modulator).

OR Use your Foxtel box output channel to view the Free To Air Digital channels (assuming you get them on Foxtel in your area).

OR Digital FTA STB for each old TV to get different Digital FTA channels on different TVs.

OR A device/STB(s) somewhere that puts one or more FTA digital channels on a RF channel(s) (RF modulator).

Hi Guys

Had a read of all the pages but i am still confused how my foxtel is going to work or not

Here is what i have

1. 2 HDTV

2. One 1yr old Foxtel Box

3. New Foxtel Connection with Box

Question: will i be able watch 2 different channels on both the TV's irrespective of the fact that i only have one foxtel connection. (i dont want to pay for extra connection setup for the other TV)

Thanks a lot guys Appreciate all your help.