Sign in to follow this  
PaulM1503559663

Foxtel on 2 TV's from 1 STB

I thought you could use a remote through an IR extender with the new foxtel digital STB. If not I will have to retink my whole setup! The kids will be pretty pissed off.

Is anyone out there tried or using an av sender or IR extender with a digital foxtel remote? Does it work? I am on cable.

I have an IQ and use a IR sender (bought from Jaycar about 4-5 years ago) and it works OK. It has two units so only works from one aditional room, I got another set about a year ago to use in another room ( 2.4 Ghz) but the cordless phone and the Microwave caused interferance.

I thought you could use a remote through an IR extender with the new foxtel digital STB. If not I will have to retink my whole setup! The kids will be pretty pissed off.

Is anyone out there tried or using an av sender or IR extender with a digital foxtel remote? Does it work? I am on cable.

PaulM, you most likely have all of the details you need by now, but I will say what I have done anyway :)

I ran cable (red, yellow, white) from the back of one Foxtel box to a tv in another room, and use a Remote Sender to change channels. This way i don't lose any picture and sound quality from interference form Cordless phone, wireless internet, microwave etc.

This is the remote extender I use http://www.hometheatre.net.au/ir1810.htm. I purchased it from Jaycar, but i am not sure they still stock it.

Cheers,

Alex

I ran cable (red, yellow, white) from the back of one Foxtel box to a tv in another room, and use a Remote Sender to change channels. This way i don't lose any picture and sound quality from interference form Cordless phone, wireless internet, microwave etc.

Alex, can I ask what kind of TV you have in the 2nd room, and how good you rate the picture quality.

It looks like you are only sending a composite signal (the yellow cable) and I have heard it said that LCD's generally don't handle a low level signal (especially from Foxtel) very well.

I have a similar setup running to my old Panasonic CRT and the picture quality on that is fine, but I would like to upgrade to a widescreen LCD, but as I use it mainly for Foxtel I am worried about poor picture quality. I did try it once with a cheap LCD and it was pretty dreadful, but I have also tried it temporarily with my lounge room 42"Hitachi plasma, and that was OK - but 42" is too big for the family room, so it will have to be a 32" LCD.

Really appreciate your input. Thanks

Alex, can I ask what kind of TV you have in the 2nd room, and how good you rate the picture quality.

It looks like you are only sending a composite signal (the yellow cable) and I have heard it said that LCD's generally don't handle a low level signal (especially from Foxtel) very well.

I have a similar setup running to my old Panasonic CRT and the picture quality on that is fine, but I would like to upgrade to a widescreen LCD, but as I use it mainly for Foxtel I am worried about poor picture quality. I did try it once with a cheap LCD and it was pretty dreadful, but I have also tried it temporarily with my lounge room 42"Hitachi plasma, and that was OK - but 42" is too big for the family room, so it will have to be a 32" LCD.

Really appreciate your input. Thanks

Chask, those cables only run from the Foxtel box in our bedroom to a small 15" LCD in my office, so the picture isn't that important, but it is still fairly clear.

We have Foxtel IQ directly conneted to our 50" Pioneer

Sorry I am not of much more help.

Hey all,

This is one of the best threads on this forum and has given me some great answers to my little setup hassle/issue. I will divulge said issue and then outlay my proposed solutions - however I am sure that collective wisdom might point be in more intelligent directions.

Here is diagram to explain my setup.

http://picasaweb.google.com/weatherhead/Mi...886337377011890

We have our main TV/home theatre in one room (where all of the inputs of FTA/Foxtel come to) and kitchen in a neighboring room. We always planned for a TV in our kitchen but when we did our renovation - we were thinking small 19" samsung with a small dodgy SD STB. So in our kitchen our antenna/networking guy installed a FTA outlet and hooked up a direct coax link to the main room where the incoming foxtel connection was. The thinking was this: in kitchen the FTA rf would go into STB which would output to tv as composite (video/audio) and then in the main room we would plug the foxtel RF out into the direct coax link and then in kitchen connect direct coax link (carring foxtel signal) into RF (aerial input) on LCD and tune in TV.

Simple....

But before all this work could be put into place we bought a better LCD tv with an inbuilt HDTV tuner (silly..).However using this setup I now have direct a FTA (coax RF) which would be plugged into RF socket on the LCD tv and then tuned in via built-in HDTV tuner. I also have foxtel being linked via coax direct link through RF as well and no additional input to plug it in to... (only one rf input on the LCD tv)

I did some reading and found there was no real way to turn an RF signal into a composite without some massive ugly box....

So my intention now was.....

Main room -FTA into Foxtel STU RF in >>RF out from Foxtel STU (carrying both Foxtel & FTA) into Coax Direct RF link>> then in kitchen plug Coax Direct RF link into LCD RF (aerial).

Now my quandary is - will the LCD HDTV tuner recognise the foxtel RF channel? My guess is no....but again I am not the world's authority on this....

Any tips/pointers/arrows of abuse greatly appreciated as always. Maybe a better solution?

Cheers

Dann

Edited by weatherhead

If your LCD also has an inbuilt analogue tuner as well as the HD one it should find the RF signal ,tho you will have to be on the analogue tuner to view them.

HMM did that make sense

If your LCD also has an inbuilt analogue tuner as well as the HD one it should find the RF signal ,tho you will have to be on the analogue tuner to view them.

HMM did that make sense

I think it does (from Samsung specs)

TV Tuner

Multi-channel Preview

Split screen, picture-in-picture (PIP)

Analogue Channel Presets

100 channel(s)

Digital TV Tuner

DVB-T

dann

I have austar, but the principle will be the same. Looking at 2 TV's from 1 set top box. Have read about connections from stb to aerial etc. My question is to do with the aerial splitter. The one i have has 1 inlet (connected to aerial) with 4 outlets (to TV). So where do i connect the cable from the STB? Is there a special part i should purchase to do this?

Vesta

Edited by Vesta1

I have austar, but the principle will be the same. Looking at 2 TV's from 1 set top box. Have read about connections from stb to aerial etc. My question is to do with the aerial splitter. The one i have has 1 inlet (connected to aerial) with 4 outlets (to TV). So where do i connect the cable from the STB? Is there a special part i should purchase to do this?

Vesta

You need to by a 2way splitter and use it in reverse,IN the 2aerial outs connect the rf from the austar box and the rf lead from the tv antenna in the roof,then connect the aerial in on the 2way to aerial in on the 4way splitter.

Once its all connected you have to tune the channels on the tv's to get the pic.

I have been reading all the posts regarding Foxtel in 2 rooms and I am still none the wiser.

We currently have one AV sender with 2 seperate receivers which kind of works. In the family room the reception is terrible with a lot of interferance, the one in the bedroom is much better, I just have to move it every now and then which fixes the interferance.

The house we are in is rented so I really don't want to go running new cables etc, so the AV sender will stay for the bedroom.

My big question is can I use the current RF cabling in the house to run Foxtel to the family room.

There is a splitter in the roof....somewhere...and it is a powered amplified system.

I am not too concerned if the remote doesn't work as it never has with the AV senders anyway.

I have been reading all the posts regarding Foxtel in 2 rooms and I am still none the wiser.

We currently have one AV sender with 2 seperate receivers which kind of works. In the family room the reception is terrible with a lot of interferance, the one in the bedroom is much better, I just have to move it every now and then which fixes the interferance.

The house we are in is rented so I really don't want to go running new cables etc, so the AV sender will stay for the bedroom.

My big question is can I use the current RF cabling in the house to run Foxtel to the family room.

There is a splitter in the roof....somewhere...and it is a powered amplified system.

I am not too concerned if the remote doesn't work as it never has with the AV senders anyway.

Just connect the RF output from the Foxtel box to the input of your distribution amp and Foxtel will appear on all TV's that are fed from that amplifier.

The tricky part will be that your system will probably be wired like this:-

Antenna connected to the splitter in the roof which feeds however many outlets you have

You need it to be wired like this

Antenna connected to Foxtel (and FTA STB if you have one) then out of Foxtel into the splitter in the roofspace which feeds all of your outlets.

So you are probably going to need one extra RF cable running from the roofspace splitter to your Foxtel box, which as you said you didn't want to run cables may or may not be possible.

Hope that made sense! :wacko:

Just connect the RF output from the Foxtel box to the input of your distribution amp and Foxtel will appear on all TV's that are fed from that amplifier.

The tricky part will be that your system will probably be wired like this:-

Antenna connected to the splitter in the roof which feeds however many outlets you have

You need it to be wired like this

Antenna connected to Foxtel (and FTA STB if you have one) then out of Foxtel into the splitter in the roofspace which feeds all of your outlets.

So you are probably going to need one extra RF cable running from the roofspace splitter to your Foxtel box, which as you said you didn't want to run cables may or may not be possible.

Hope that made sense! :wacko:

Kind of. Currently the system is Antenna to masthead amplifier then to the splitter and then to 2 rooms. the family room has the power supply for the amplifier.

I was kind of hoping I could just plug into the RF outlet on the foxtel STB and then tune in the other tv in the family room.

I might try it anyway, is there any chance of damaging the foxtel STB with the powered amplifier?

Kind of. Currently the system is Antenna to masthead amplifier then to the splitter and then to 2 rooms. the family room has the power supply for the amplifier.

I was kind of hoping I could just plug into the RF outlet on the foxtel STB and then tune in the other tv in the family room.

I might try it anyway, is there any chance of damaging the foxtel STB with the powered amplifier?

You shouldn't damage the Foxtel STB as the power being sent from the family room is going directly to the Masthead amp.

You can try to tune but it won't work, the outlet at the main point where the Foxtel STB is will be fed from an output of the splitter, it isn't capable of sending signal in the other direction as well. You need the extra RF cable. :unsure:

You shouldn't damage the Foxtel STB as the power being sent from the family room is going directly to the Masthead amp.

You can try to tune but it won't work, the outlet at the main point where the Foxtel STB is will be fed from an output of the splitter, it isn't capable of sending signal in the other direction as well. You need the extra RF cable. :unsure:

Rather than daisy chaining them as suggested would I be better off fitting a dual input splitter (if there is one) to the input of the existing splitter or alternatively a distribution box of some sort with input from the Foxtel STB and the antenna?

if that is possible I might then be able to tune my Topfield (currently in the family room) to the RF foxtel feed. Not that I need it as I currently have foxtel running through my DVD recorder anyway.

At least this way I am only running one cable which is not too bad.

Rather than daisy chaining them as suggested would I be better off fitting a dual input splitter (if there is one) to the input of the existing splitter or alternatively a distribution box of some sort with input from the Foxtel STB and the antenna?

if that is possible I might then be able to tune my Topfield (currently in the family room) to the RF foxtel feed. Not that I need it as I currently have foxtel running through my DVD recorder anyway.

At least this way I am only running one cable which is not too bad.

You could do that but depending on the signal strength in your area you could end up making the signal weaker, adding another splitter will cause signal loss (the fact that you have a masthead amp in the first place suggests the signal isn't great)

the signals you get at the outlets will be the same, just with the addition of Foxtel which you will be able to tune into any peice of equipment with an analogue tuner.

If your lucky you might be able to fiddle the AV sender into a position where it will relay the Foxtel remote signal back to the STB (you'll no longer need it for picture)

Could someone please tell me if I have the idea right? I will be getting an antenna person in to do the manual labour, but I want to be sure that we are both on the same wavelength. :wacko:

I am wanting to provide both a FTA antenna feed, and an RF feed from a non-iQ Foxtel STB to a TV in another room.

After reading through this, I take it that I will need to run a quad shield cable from the Foxtel box to one of two "IN" sockets of a 2-to-1 splitter (which is actually a 1-to-2 splitter in reverse). The other "IN" should be the feed from the antenna. The "OUT" should go to the room with the other TV (presumable ending at a wall plate). I then daisy chain the RF cables first through my FTA STB, then to the TV which I tune into the Foxtel RF channel.

Is this all OK?