Sign in to follow this  
PaulM1503559663

Foxtel on 2 TV's from 1 STB

If you are not concerned about Quality and Stereo on the other TV or TV's in my case I use an Uplink from the RF out of the STU. Basically I have an uplink of coax cable that links the RF output of the STU into the House's antenena system. This gives me the ability to watch Foxtel on any TV in the house. I have then added a IR redirector system that sends the IR signals from the other rooms to an emiter attached to the FOxtel box to change the chanels. Works well for me but can be costly for the IR option.

Hi Brightspark,

Would you have a link to these items?

And do you think they would be available from Jaycar?

Thanks

Thanks, but i am looking for the dual input splitter which i cant find.

There's no such thing, you reverse a normal splitter so the outputs become the inputs, the output then goes to your original splitter. :blink:

If you like I can provide a diagram, email me if you would like one.

Gadget

My current set up is:

1 external antenna (appears to be using a masthead amplifier, but im not sure its doing its job)

currently connecting successfully to 3 TVs

Room1: Foxtel, HDTV tuner

Room2: TV

Room3: TV

What i would like to do is add to the existing setup so that i can feed

Room1: HDTV tuner, FM Radio, TV, Foxtel Digital (and 2nd HDTV tuner later)

Room2: TV (with Foxtel Feed via antenna)

Room3: TV (with Foxtel Feed via antenna)

Im only putting this all up here so that the most suitable splitter and antenna setup can be suggested.

Thanks

There's no such thing, you reverse a normal splitter so the outputs become the inputs, the output then goes to your original splitter. :blink:

If you like I can provide a diagram, email me if you would like one.

Gadget

I see what your saying! :P

So then these splitters dont limit the way the signal runs?

With your suggestion i would have to use a 2->1 splitter to feed 2 signals (FTA tv and the other the decoded Foxtel signal) into a single cable then use a multiple splitter to run them off the other TVs? Then just tune all the TVs into the Foxtel Channel right?

How would you go about amplifying the signal strength since there will be alot of outputs to TVs and HDTV tuners plus a FM tuner!

Thanks

So then these splitters dont limit the way the signal runs?
Correct
With your suggestion i would have to use a 2->1 splitter to feed 2 signals (FTA tv and the other the decoded Foxtel signal) into a single cable then use a multiple splitter to run them off the other TVs? Then just tune all the TVs into the Foxtel Channel right?
Correct
How would you go about amplifying the signal strength since there will be alot of outputs to TVs and HDTV tuners plus a FM tuner!
If your antenna signal is ok, then a line amp can be placed between the Foxtel STU and the reversed splitter. If your antenna signal is affected by the additional splitter then fit the line amp between the reversed splitter and the original splitter feeding the TV's.

You should only need an amp to compensate for the loss in the splitters and the lower signal from the Foxtel STU.

Gadget

gadget, can i do it this way?

place the reversed splitter between the wall socket and the Foxtel STU? so that they Antenna lead coming down will also carry the Foxtel signal back up to the roof and out to the other TVs?

gadget, can i do it this way?

place the reversed splitter between the wall socket and the Foxtel STU? so that they Antenna lead coming down will also carry the Foxtel signal back up to the roof and out to the other TVs?

No

Hey doing that you should be able to Broadcast Foxtel to the rest of the street out of your roof. :blink:

lol!

Maybe i can sell discount subscriptions to my neighbours, and tell them its Digital TV now, right on their 34cm tv!

I think i will be using a couple of the GME amplified splitters to get the signal around.

Most Foxtel STU's will output about 68dBuV of signal, the return feed or up link cable will lose .2dBuV per meter. If the return feed is 10 meters long then you will lose 2dBuV there, the reversed 2 way splitter will lose about 4dBuV. The cable between the reversed splitter and the new 2 way splitter will not be very long, so we won't worry about that one. The new 2 way splitter required to feed the SA124R Distribution amps will lose about 4dBuV. That gives us an input to the amps of 58dBuV, the SA124R Distribution amps have 10dBuV gain, this make the signal level 68dBuV at the beginning of the cable runs to the TV's.

Remember the RG6 coax will lose about .2dBuV per meter, if each run is 10 meters you will have a signal of 66dBuV at the TV. The target range is between 60dBuV and 70dBuV. If the numbers add up you should have good Foxtel PQ at the TV's.

The figures I have quoted are for band 5 UHF and have been approximated for ease of calculation, if you don't have a field strength meter then you can't check these figures, but it will allow you to work out the loses in the cables you have and whether the SA124R Distribution amps are the best way to go or not.

Gadget

Gadget, thats very analytical! I havent had the need to go to that depth, but it was appreciated!

How about this scenario?

The end result that I would like to achieve is have the Roof Antenna feed 4 primary connections (SA124) being 2 HDTV tuners, FM tuner, and leading into the Foxtel STU (all in Room 1)

From the Foxtel STU into the VCR then back into the roof and to the 2nd splitter (4way amplified splitter SA124) which will feed TV room 2 and 3. TVs 2 and 3 should then be able to view all Free to air TV channels, a VCR channel and Foxtel channel independently if I have understood this correctly.

What benefit does the SA124R have over the SA124?

You still need to crunch the figures to see if you'll have enough signal at TV's 2 & 3.

The VCR output is also approx 68dBuV.

You may not need the SA124 from the antenna feed, it depends on the signal strength from the antenna. You can't just stick an amp in a hope for the best, the input signal to an amp is very important especially with DTV.

Foxtel STU's, VCR and most STB's don't like more than 75dBuV input.

SA124R, Remote power supply (Has power injector that plugs into a TV socket in a room) F Type connections.

SA124, Requires 240v power in the roof, Pal connections.

Gadget