Sign in to follow this  
Ryan1503559697

Fuji Sd Plasma

Hello everyone, i think i have narrowed my selections for a new display to a Fujitsu SD plasma, the newer 30 series with 1.07 billion colours,after viewing it again at Encel i was very impressed.I said to the sales guy that i could tell the difference between the low res panel and high res panel but it was very minute and definately not worth an extra $2K.I told him i had veiwed them side by side at another store of which he said they dont have them side by side anymore as he reckons that sales of the high res models would drop dramatically.Reading some stuff on the forum i have noticed a few people have said that the Fuji SD plasma would be the only SD panel that is worth getting.I think i will be able to get it for around the low $6K mark.Could be a stupid question but am i better off with a quality SD panel like this say over a comparably priced high res model which around the same price wouldnt/would be better?Eg would a Philips/hitachi etc of 1024 by 1024 be that much better?

Cheers Ryan

Thanx Aqua read that link especially the review of the fuji plasma they rated it extremely highly, looks like its the one for me.Has anyone brought one or knows anyone who has and how much did they pay?As i mentioned earlier i reckon ill be able to get encel down to the low-mid $6K mark.

Cheers Ryan

Reading some stuff on the forum i have noticed a few people have said that the Fuji SD plasma would be the only SD panel that is worth getting.I think i will be able to get it for around the low $6K mark.

Sorry I don't know much about the Fujitsu's, but I noticed in the MYER brochure in the letter box today (in Sydney) that Myer has the P42VHA30 for $6499 "bonus stand" and "bonus $500 Myer gift voucher"

Yeah i seen that add but i wasnt sure if it was the older series if its not then dam thats a good deal i will investigate thanx again aqua.

Cheers Ryan

Ryan,

Do a quick search on the UK avforums.com web site in the plasma section. There seems to be quite a few treads on the Fujitsu.

There is also quite a few threads

Ryan,

I couldn't open the Fujitsu plasma site, but found some interesting info on elitescreens site here and if this is same set advertised by Myer then Myer's price seems very good indeed.

By the way, I agree with cummo, it's worthwhile to check out the

http://www.avforums.com/

as there is much valuable info on all plasma there.

I would favour a HD over SD when it comes to such a large outlay, mainly 'cause I would want it for DVDs which I HOPE will come in HD within a couple of years, certainly I hope in the lifetime of the set I buy.

I wish you luck with your decision.

Thanx guys great site saved that to my favorites.I couldnt find any reviews on the current 30 series only the 20 series.I just read something interesting in smarthouse magazine about the Fuji P42VHA30 it states. Quote"is compatible with 1080i and 720p HDTV and 480p signals from a DTV set top box" Isnt it SD???

Sorry im confused.

Cheers Ryan

something interesting in smarthouse magazine about the Fuji P42VHA30 it states. Quote"is compatible with 1080i and 720p HDTV and 480p signals from a DTV set top box" Isnt it SD???

Sorry im confused.

The article probably means it will receive certain HD signals. Displaying these signals is another matter.

If the set is 852 x 480 pixels it cannot display in HD.

Yes, it is confusing, and can even get more confusing.

Ryan,

Go to avforums.com/, use the search engine and type 'fujitsu' and select 'plasma and lcd forum'. There is quite a large thread dedicated to the display you are looking at.

Ryan,

If you are considering a plasma with 853 x 480 pixels, then bear in mind these facts.

853 x 480 panels are made for the NTSC standard definition market (480 pixel height pictures)

PAL countries have pictures 576 pixels in height.

These panels (853 x 480) have 96 "scan lines" worse vertical resolution than the standard definition signals from the TV stations.

While these panels are often quoted as being "HD ready" or "HD compatible", they are not HD devices and "downconvert" the image to fit their low resolution screens.

These panels are lower resolution than older CRT television sets.

Yeah they're nice and flat, yeah they're only 4 inches deep, they are not high def, they are not even capable of resolving standard definition.

They are inferior to our television resolution standards.

I wouldn't touch one with a 305 cm* bargepole.

Cheers

JB

(metric equivalent of 10 foot bargepole)

yeah sorry cummo i previously went into some other linc,anyway checked out the forum heaps of posts about the fuji and anything else in the world about electronics.It gets very good reviews which confirms my thoughts.

Cheers Ryan

Ryan,

John Barber has, as always, ably clarified what I meant by "Yes, it is confusing, and can even get more confusing".

What JB has stated is good to digest, but you must decide what you want, and by taking note of the info by JB, at least you will know when you do buy, that you made an informed decision.

although JB is "technically" correct about resolution, I think you should give it the ultimate test, commonly know as the EYEBALL test. From a normal viewing distance, assess the PQ. The bulk of digital transmissions are SD, so 99% of the time you will get no benefit from the extra money spent on a HD display. Same goes for DVD's, the PQ will not appear different unless you stick your nose up against the glass.

Spend the extra $2-3K on some dirty great big speakers, or go on a huge DVD shopping spree and buy every movie you ever wanted, or get a second smaller LCD for the bedroom. You will get much more enjoyment and benefit from these than watching Kerry-Anne for an hour each morning in high-definition!

The bulk of digital transmissions are SD, so 99% of the time you will get no benefit from the extra money spent on a HD display.

Hi metrographics,

You are absolutely correct about the vast majority of broadcasts being in SD.

The problem is that these 853 x 480 plasmas are not even capable of displaying SD resolution natively.

I agree that the eyeball test is the most important of all, and while this is somewhat subjective, personally I still find these plasmas lacking.

My strong warning to Ryan was intended to clearly and unambiguously inform that the devices he may be considering are inferior to PAL resolution images.

If the decision to buy one is made despite this warning, then at least Ryan, or anyone else, knows what they are getting and are aware of potential shortcomings with the product.

This is to counter the misleading advertising/displays of these "HD Ready" devices which can be confusing, as Ryan noted.

Cheers

JB

[quote :- My strong warning to Ryan was intended to clearly and unambiguously inform that the devices he may be considering are inferior to PAL resolution images.

If the decision to buy one is made despite this warning, then at least Ryan, or anyone else, knows what they are getting and are aware of potential shortcomings with the product]

John is correct stating it can be a shortcoming but only if you can notice any difference between the Fujitsu and a good quality 576 line display like a high end Loewe. If the scaling process just crops the pal 576 lines signal back to 480 lines, then I would consider this a large shortcoming of the display. If you do a detailed comparison between the 2 displays and cannot see any lost detail, than it is not a shortcoming. Just like flicker in a display, it is only a shortcoming if the owner notices it.

The Fujitsu is only a SD display but the ability to accept a HD signal is a huge plus. It allows you to connect a HD set top box to feed it HD signals. The plasma will still only display 480 lines of this signal but the more information it has to work with the better the final PQ.

If you ever want to watch sports on your TV or fast action movies it might be worth seeing what they look like on the Fuji before you hand over your money.

Normal TV looks a hell of a lot different than an animated DVD Demo that they have running in the shop....Especially football

I must agree with JB in that people need to be aware beforehand, so there expectations are realistic. When I got my plasma home I was a little disapointed in the resolution.

I quickly realised that I was nearly doubling the size of the image to 106cm from my old 63cm CRT without increasing the resolution. Of course I was doing all this comparing with my nose up against the glass. When viewed from my normal distance, I cannot see any pixels and am extremely happy with the sharpness and clarity. Things like colour balance and contrast are way more important.

I still love my plasma and would not go back to a CRT...

I quickly realised that I was nearly doubling the size of the image to 106cm from my old 63cm CRT without increasing the resolution. Of course I was doing all this comparing with my nose up against the glass. When viewed from my normal distance, I cannot see any pixels and am extremely happy with the sharpness and clarity.

Another often overlooked factor, the difference between two displays viewed at three feet often disappears when veiwed from normal viewing distances.

Thanx guys for all the input.My problem is that i believe that fujitsu makes excellent plasma displays and viewing both the high and low res models i found almost no difference in PQ! Its about $2k difference in price and honestly even if it were only $1K i still couldnt justify buying it.And the PQ on the low res one was out standing. For around the same price as the sd fuji (around $6.5K) what HD screens do i have to choose from as this is my budget. I suppose in a nutshell i have $6K to $7K to spend on a plasma what would you guys suggest???

Cheers Ryan

You can get the Hitachi for around $6500. It is an ALIS 1024 x 1024 display, which is much better than 852 x 480 SD.

like anything, the choices are between...

---> PRICE

---> PERFORMANCE

---> RELIABILITY

Pick any 2 (you can never have all 3)

"i believe that fujitsu makes excellent plasma displays and viewing both the high and low res models i found almost no difference in PQ! "                                                                     

Only suggestion I have is, what signal was input to both the high and low res models when you do not see a great difference. Are they both fed a sd signal, which the high res up scales? You wouldn't expect to see much difference.

Are they both fed a hd signal, and the low res down scales? You should see a worthwhile difference for your money here.

View the high res model hooked up to a hd stb and see what you think.

Thanx guys for all the input.My problem is that i believe that fujitsu makes excellent plasma displays and viewing both the high and low res models i found almost no difference in PQ! Its about $2k difference  in price and honestly even if it were only $1K i still couldnt justify buying it.And the PQ on the low res one was out standing. For around the same price as the sd fuji (around $6.5K) what HD screens do i have to choose from as this is my budget. I suppose in a nutshell i have $6K to $7K to spend on a plasma what would you guys suggest???

Cheers Ryan

Have you considered the Panasonic 6 series plasmas? The TH-42PA20A retails for $6599. You should be able to haggle a much better deal than that though. It has a built in analogue tuner and comes with speakers. The great thing about Panasonic plasmas is that they have excellent black levels (contrast ratio of 4000:1).

The TH42PWD6AY is also available. It doesnt have the tuner and speakers. It is not listed on the Panasonic Australia website. It is available through elitescreens.

For a comparison of Plasma TVs go to www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com or search up reviews on www.ecoustics.com.

Rahul