Fuji Sd Plasma

Thanx for the info Billy,i will go back to encel and check that out. Like you Rahul i am also a fan of the 6 series panas but in terms of a SD panel i think the fuji is still a little better and also what caught my eye was that Myer had it for $6.5K with free stand and $500 Myer voucher.And Peter i am a huge fan of the Hitachis i remember when they were $12K, i knew they had come down but didnt know it was to that extent is $6.5K the going rate everywhere or is that a super price? If thats the case for around the $6.5K mark is the Hitachi the best display to buy???

By the way im gonna buy with what i know and learn from you guys as i am sick of salesmen talking s@#t and contradicting themselves and each other which confuses the hell out of me. I really appreciate your help guys.

Cheers Ryan

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Fujitsu is only a SD display but the ability to accept a HD signal is a huge plus. It allows you to connect a HD set top box to feed it HD signals. The plasma will still only display 480 lines of this signal but the more information it has to work with the better the final PQ.

Yeah, but I've got an HD STB and a 10 year old 4:3 CRT TV. I can watch the HD service too.

I get more resolution viewing HD (or SD) on my Sony telly, than Ryan will get on his 853 x 480 plasma.

Cheers

JB

Yeah, but I've got an HD STB and a 10 year old 4:3 CRT TV. I can watch the HD service too.

I get more resolution viewing HD (or SD) on my Sony telly, than Ryan will get on his 853 x 480 plasma.

Cheers

JB

But arent all plasmas progressively scanned (except ALIS panels) ? Your old 4:3 CRT TV I am assuming would be interlacing the image. So in theory you will see more lines at any one time on a plasma right?

Correct me if I am wrong...

Rahul

[quote :- Yeah, but I've got an HD STB and a 10 year old 4:3 CRT TV. I can watch the HD service too.

I get more resolution viewing HD (or SD) on my Sony telly, than Ryan will get on his 853 x 480 plasma]

Can't argue with that, but resolution forms only one part of the PQ equation.

My 68cm. 4:3 crt came no where near the PQ of my old 480 line Panasonic plasma.

Your old 4:3 CRT TV I am assuming would be interlacing the image. So in theory you will see more lines at any one time on a plasma right?

OK, so in one 50th of a second, there are more "lines" on the plasma. Over a 25th of a second, all is equal.

One could argue that any de-interlacing of a 576i50 image would negatively impact the vision quality on a plasma, whereas no de-interlacing is required for a conventional PAL CRT monitor.

There are a heck of a lot of arguments, myths, and bovine excrementary byproducts put out about how resolution can magically be doubled by using low resolution plasmas which are not interlaced, but the way I see it is that the TV is provided with 576 scan lines of visible picture, the display device can only resolve 480 TV scan lines. There's not a great deal of magic that's going to easily overcome that one.

Cheers

JB

Ok guys i will go on a plasma testing mission this weekend. I will go back to encel and look at the Fuji,and ill also go and look at the Hitachi and Panasonic 6 series which i heard the 7 series is coming so maybe the sixes will come down a little more in time to come.If there are any others that i should look at please let me know.Also when viewing these displays would should i be testing?What do i need to tell the sales guy in terms of set up?Is there a general criterior to follow when testing a plama display etc.

Cheers Ryan

I went and checked out the SD Fuji and HD Fuji this afternoon,they were set up identicaly and were side by side and yes i could tell the difference but still not worth anywhere near an extra $2K. I also got offered a HD Philips for $6K, i remember looking at these a while ago and they were $9K and i also looked up some info on the net and they get fantastic reviews as opposed to the SD model.Has any one had any experience with the Philips? I will definately check out the Pana's and Hitachis on the weekend.And yes i will be checking out all displays with some footy,dvd action etc thanxs for the advice.

P.S It was very painful talking to the sales guy at good guys. I know absolutely stuff all about plasmas but i was a genius compared to him,and they have to realise if you carnt answer a question ,say so ,just dont make something up!!!

Cheers Ryan

Your old 4:3 CRT TV I am assuming would be interlacing the image. So in theory you will see more lines at any one time on a plasma right?

OK, so in one 50th of a second, there are more "lines" on the plasma. Over a 25th of a second, all is equal.

One could argue that any de-interlacing of a 576i50 image would negatively impact the vision quality on a plasma, whereas no de-interlacing is required for a conventional PAL CRT monitor.

There are a heck of a lot of arguments, myths, and bovine excrementary byproducts put out about how resolution can magically be doubled by using low resolution plasmas which are not interlaced, but the way I see it is that the TV is provided with 576 scan lines of visible picture, the display device can only resolve 480 TV scan lines. There's not a great deal of magic that's going to easily overcome that one.

Cheers

JB

Disagree completely with the statements. Progressive rendered PAL 576i will look cleaner, sharper, have far less artefacting and should be virtualy vitually lose less.

I think you have to satisfy yourself and sit down with a good progressive DVD PAL player and view at least 1/2 movie in one session with that experiment, then view the other half in interlaced 576i and then report on that.

Until you do such an excercise your arguments will be academic and naive theory.

This is the real trade off between interlaced and progressive. Resolving a 'resolution' is not in anyway related to whether there is physical scan line count. Resolving has more to do with the 'broke' line patterns, moire effects, artefact chop of fine details, the tooth saw effect, jumpy drawing of text (which you CANNOT poosibly call lose less between the interframing interlaced (A/:blink: mode.

I maintain anything progressive (physical) then should be always doubled when comparing to interlaced scan line resolving.

I conclude then that despite an SD Plasma maybe physically only 480p vertical, in real terms this should be doubled in reality to something like 960i amply capable in resolving but with performance rendering hit caused by interlaced. As you can see in doing these simplex sums we therefore can not still call such SD plasmas true HD. But a panel with 720 or 768 vertical in our little exercise could be termed in one sense definitely be HD more then capable.

Finally the only true, really true HD would be a display that can run at either:

100HZ... double that of 1080i @ 50Hz or a truly progressive panel with physical 1080 res. vertical.

Regards

DA

Ive been doing some more research on the Philips HD plasma and as mentioned earlier i found some reviews which were quite favorable,but searching through the forums i was unable to find anyone who has this display or any info on it.Im sure that most reviews are acurate,obviously depending on the source, but i would also like some input from any of you guys.

Cheers Ryan