Hitachi C47-WD5000

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hi guys thanks to you all for your input into this Hitachi tv, I have had the C57-WD5000 for sometime but never had the kohunas to mess with it. I have since bought the service manual, done convergance and changed the relevant menu items, still not brave enough to mess with the lenses yet. Picture looks much better and red push is reduced, I have noticed a big improvement when using HTPC which leads me to my question.

I am sending the HTPC through component input into my Yamaha amplifier and subsequently into the TV. I can only seen to get a picture of 1088x612, the TV still sees this as HD. This gives me a picture with a black edge of about one inch around the entire desktop. The typping is not crystal clear but since the mods are so much better.

I have seen Owen mention previously that he uses 1920x1080, when I attempt to utilise this resulution even with overscan reduced to the minimum I cant view the desktop.

Can someone please assist with how I can utilise more resolution of this fabulous TV. Thanks in advance for not treating me like a noob even though this is my first post.

The TV has overscan as you know, some of it can be removed with the picture width and hight adjustments in the serviced menu, but you can remove much horizontal overscan with severely compromising goniometry.

I got around this to a large extent by repositioning the CRT frame, but you probably read that.

A custom overscan corrected desktop resolution should do the trick and around 1700x1000 is roughly what you will wind up with, maybe a bit less.

You may be able to remove all the vertical overscan with some work on the geometry and only need to correct for horizontal overscan. This is a good idea as it allows the PC to deliver 1080 lines without vertical scaling, which is important for 1080 interlaced video.

If I where you I would not route video through the Yamaha, go direct to the TV.

I've recently bought a HD Dvd player and it looks great on the Hitachi at 1080i. However, this models HD scan mode has two functions, HD through and HD non-through mode. The instruction manual says that one is "actual" HD but the other isn't. This is confusing. Which one are you using Owen? If I change from favourite to theater or dynamic mode it switches between these HD modes. Any advice?

I've recently bought a HD Dvd player and it looks great on the Hitachi at 1080i. However, this models HD scan mode has two functions, HD through and HD non-through mode. The instruction manual says that one is "actual" HD but the other isn't. This is confusing. Which one are you using Owen? If I change from favourite to theater or dynamic mode it switches between these HD modes. Any advice?

Use HD through mode, it bypasses the displays procesing.

Owen, Since my last post I have got the Hitachi to 1772 x 984 and this fills the screen (not perfectly but near enough after scan adjustments), but I am concerned about showing stuff in 1080i. I have noticed the typing on the screen is not perfectly clear, is this a convergence issue or just down to individual pixel size on the screen, or is it something I am just not thinking of. Can I do any overscan adjustments through the service menu, or is this something that can only be corrected by moving the lenses closer to the screen. I am really not confident enought to do that at this point (mainly because if I balls it up I will get a divorce). BTW I got the HD DVD player for my Xbox360 and with the inital adjustments it looks spectacular, pity I only have King Kong to watch on it. Thanks again, Jason.

Owen, Since my last post I have got the Hitachi to 1772 x 984 and this fills the screen (not perfectly but near enough after scan adjustments), but I am concerned about showing stuff in 1080i. I have noticed the typing on the screen is not perfectly clear, is this a convergence issue or just down to individual pixel size on the screen, or is it something I am just not thinking of. Can I do any overscan adjustments through the service menu, or is this something that can only be corrected by moving the lenses closer to the screen. I am really not confident enought to do that at this point (mainly because if I balls it up I will get a divorce). BTW I got the HD DVD player for my Xbox360 and with the inital adjustments it looks spectacular, pity I only have King Kong to watch on it. Thanks again, Jason.

CRT RPTV’s don’t have any pixels, each CRT has a continuous layer of a single colour phosphor. An electron beam draws lines on that smooth pixel free phosphor surface, hence no pixels.

To get good text quality lens focus, electronic focus and convergence all need to be spot on.

To get convergence and focus dialed in you need a PC generated convergence grid with a Red/Blue and Green/Blue patterns. Green is the master colour and is adjusted to get best geometry, then blue is then aligned to green and then red to blue or green.

The built in convergence patterns are not adequate for adjustment of 1080 convergence, but thankfully the Hitachi allows you to display an external source (PC) while in convergence adjustment mode.

Philips have a nice free test pattern generation program that has the patterns you need.

http://en.download.hr/index.php?file=416

If you cant find it I can send you a copy.

Remember that each display input mode (576i, 1080i 50 and 1080i 60) needs to be converged separately.

To make text bigger and easier to read, us a 120dpi desktop and Large fonts, (extra large fonts can case problems with applications).

Overscan (picture size) is adjustable in the service menu, but you will find that significant adjustment of picture width will throw the geometry way out.

Picture height adjustment is very flexible, so you can probably adjust out all or most the vertical overscan and run 1080 vertical res from the PC. That would allow you to run 1772x1080 or similar so no vertical scaling is needed for 1080 source.

I have some questions about lens stripping...

1. I've read through the links Owen posted on lens stripping and I'm still a little confused. Do you strip the red lens (on the left) from 1:30 to 4:30 and the blue lens (on the right) from 7:30 to 10:30, or is it the other way around? This way the strips are closer to the greens lens right?

2. Do I need to re-do the entire greyscale balance after lens stripping?

Thanks for any advice :blink:

This image from www.keohi.com illustrates lens stripping...

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/experttips/.../poststripe.jpg

It shows the reverse to what Guy Kuo says at this link...

http://www.keohi.com/KeohiHDTV/experttips/...enstriping.html

I'm unsure which portion of the lenses to cover, the outer edge of the blue and red lenses or the inside. Please help.

It's the outer edge. i.e. The side (edge) of the lens with the shortest distance from lens to screen - hence results in the need for reduction of intensity.