Hitachi C47-WD5000

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

I've just done a full Manual Convergence of the 47" Hitachi. Looking good!

Can someone please give me step by step instructions on how to turn off the Edge enhancement?

To disable edge enhancement on all inputs;

Enter service menu and set menu items:

147 to 0 and press Enter to save

148 to 0 and press Enter to save

149 to 0 and press Enter to save

150 to 0 and press Enter to save

Turn TV off or press Menu button to exit service mode.

Re enter service menu and check that values have been save correctly.

Regards,

Owen

Read the manual dude.

I feel I should not post that information, as it may encourage people without the service manual to play around.

Accessing the service menu without the manual is VERY hazardous, as the Hitachi menu is quit unfriendly, with no plain English used.

All menu items are only numbered from 0 to over 600.

Regards,

Owen

You are a bad, bad boy playing around without knowing what you doing FIRST.

The remote has many functions that are not obvious, so stay the hell out of there until you have read and understand the manual.

Convergence needs to be done for each video mode, not each input.

First time Poster :}

Looking at purchasing the C57 in the next day or so in Perth. JB Hifi in Cannington is the place that put me onto it. Went in there to buy a Projector....... What a fool I could have easily been.

Anyone know a retailer in Perth I should go and see about the best deal.

AND THEN come the nagging questions to the forum about setup and calibration and the getting YELLED AT about touching something I shouldn't have ...... Oh what fun the next 2 weeks will be.

Jason

• 1 month later...

Hi Owen

After reading the thread attached to this post I decided to order the C47WD5000. Then, after ordering and reading a subsequent post, manged to change the order (at no cost) to a C47WD7000, mainly because of the PC RGB input and the USB input.

However, the C47WD7000 seems to suffer from the same poor factor settings as the C47WD5000. I've changed the settings to those posted by nitin, which is an improvement, but will experiment some more.

My question is, when you say remove the lower front panel, you do mean the whole front speaker grill, which on the C47WD7000 is 12 screws?

Also, according to the manual and my initial trials, the USB connector does not accept a USB memory stick as I had hoped, but requires the connection of a camera or a card reader! What's the difference between a USB memory stick and a USB card reader??

Another question is that when the set is turned off, there appears to be a white discoloured spot about the size of a saucer at the top centre of the screen, any advice if this is an issue? Many thanks for the info in the previous posts.

Kearns5,

The first thing you should do is turn down the Contrast control to about 25.

The default setting is WAY too high and will potentially damage the CRT’s and give you eye strain.

You then adjust the Brightness control so that blacks are only just black , but not gray.

Convergence adjustment is easy to do, but you will need to remove the lower front panel to get at the service convergence button. It only requires a few screws be removed.

You can get a service manual here:

http://www.hcsd.com.au/html.html

You can hire for about $17 per month or purchase for about $90.

I can tell you how to get into the service menu and disable edge enhancement, but correcting colour will be very difficult without a colour analyzer.

Any good service tech should have a colour analyzer and understand how to use it to adjust gray scale. All CRT displays need this adjustment.

Disabling edge enhancement, correcting colour balance and perfect convergence are very important for a top quality picture.

Once these adjustments are done the Hitachi will be fare more impressive then the little Sony CRT.

It is best to let the TV run in for about 100 hours before doing a calibration.

Regards,

Owen

Gday newby,

I don’t know anything about the 7000 and have not ever seen one.

The first thing I want to stress is, don’t attempt to get into the service menu or adjust ANYTHING without FIRST obtaining, reading and understanding the service manual. To do so is EXTREAMLLY foolish.

I don’t mind helping people out, but I don’t want to help them get themselves in the sh*t.

You must also take note of all original menu settings BEFORE you change anything.

Also the insides of CRT TV’s have VERY dangerous high voltages (over 30,000 volts), so if you do not know what you are doing you could kill yourself. YOU HAVE BEEN WORNED.

Now that I have got the lecture over and done with, if the 7000 is like the 5000, the main problems with setup are edge enhancement or SVM (Scan Velocity Modulation) and colour temperature (grey scale).

SVM can be disabled in the service menu but it is not documented correctly and is not easy to find.

Colour adjustment is a can of worms and requires experience, skill and patients.

As a start, get the service manual and send me a copy of the service menu listings so I can compare it to the 5000 and see if I can find the settings you need to change.

Regards,

Owen

Guest Snoozer

I recently purchased the older C47WD5000 and managed to achieve a satisfactory picture without purchasing the service manual. If you set the Picture Mode setting to "Favorite" then there is another page of picture options available, just scroll down past the "Reset" option. If you set all of these options to "Off" then the PQ is improved dramatically. There is one option in particular that is simply called VM which I suspect is the Edge Enhancement feature that Owen mentioned. Turning this off has a big impact.

After disabling VM I found I could raise the level of sharpness back to zero (from negative 30 or something) and improve the PQ further without introducing weird artifacts.

The colour settings could probably be improved with the service manual as some shades of red and blue are overly bright. However, I'd probably make things worse once I started playing with it. I also found the auto-focus did a satisfactory job with the convergence and I have only a small amount of colour fringing towards the outer edge of the screen, which is not noticeable at normal viewing distance.

I paid only $2370 for this beast and I have to say it one of the best purchases I ever made. If it weren't for Owen's comments on this forum I probably wouldn't have given it a second glance in the store!

Glad you are happy with your Hitachi Snoozer, but I have to tell you that you have not seen it working at more then 70% of it’s potential.

You can play around in the user menu as much as you like, but you will never get what I consider a top class picture.

Edge enhancement cannot be disabling in the user menu, and the colour adjustments are next to useless.

The service level manual convergence is MUCH better then the Magic auto convergence system.

Add in some other tweaks like removing overscan, geometry errors, optical and electrostatic focus and lens striping and you transform an ordinary image into one that a HD Plasma cannot match.

Unless you have seen a fully tweaked CRT RPTV, it is difficult to imagine just how good the picture can be.

Owen

Glad you are happy with your Hitachi Snoozer, but I have to tell you that you have not seen it working at more then 70% of it’s potential.

You can play around in the user menu as much as you like, but you will never get what I consider a top class picture.

Edge enhancement cannot be disabling in the user menu, and the colour adjustments are next to useless.

The service level manual convergence is MUCH better then the Magic auto convergence system.

Add in some other tweaks like removing overscan, geometry errors, optical and electrostatic focus and lens striping and you transform an ordinary image into one that a HD Plasma cannot match.

Unless you have seen a fully tweaked CRT RPTV, it is difficult to imagine just how good the picture can be.

Owen

Owen,

I bought the C57-WD5000 3 months ago and also purchased the service manual from HCSD. I have change the settings in menu'1 147, 148,149,150 to 0 and still not yet done a manual convergence. Is there any other settings which I can play around with to acheive better picture quality.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I just bought a C57-WD5000 a few months ago on layby, was to pick it up last week but they stopped selling that model and have upgraded me to the C57-WD7000.

My question is, has anyone seen the difference between these 2 models. in person?

I know rule of thumb is, newer model should be better, with more features, but thats not always the case.

I paid $3400. plus I bought a hd set top box and a few other things which was extra.

any advice would be great

thanks in advance

I think my hitachi needs to be converged again, I cant be bothered doing a manual convergence for now (it took me ages last time) so I tried the magic focus button.

But no matter if I press it for one second or hold it down, it keeps going into static mode rather than starting the magic focus. any ideas?

on the subject of crt,can anyone enighten me on colour temp,warm.std etc.thanks for any info stubbey.

The cool setting is the best, but even cool is WAY to warm with VERY excessive red output on my Hitachi and others that I have seen.

Colour is a BIG problem on the Hitachi and the gray scale needs to be completely readjusted in the service menu with the aid of measurement equipment.

The user menu colour adjustments can not fix the problem as they are for the colour decoder, not the RGB level gains and cuts.

Cop ya later,

Owen

apollox goods buy buddy the new one has 12 point convergance instead of i think it was 9 point it also has the remot blaster great feature if you want to lock your equipment away and i think it also has manual convergence aswell

and has usb input i could go on all day

but there is one sad part its the last of the 57 crt rptv from hitachi there pulling the pin on the 57 i guess do to price there must be more money in a 6000-11000 plasma than a 3000 HUGE rptv ie transport and so on

but be sure it kicks the 57" 800 pana all over the room...lol :blink:

Yes he should.

Other things to attend to are.

1. Reduce overscan.

2. Electron beam and lens focus.

3. Adjust geometry.

4. Full 117 point manual convergence

5. Disable Velocity Scan Modulation (edge enhancement) for all modes in service menu (VERY IMPORTANT)

6. Apply lens strips to equalize colour across the screen

And if you really won’t to get serious, line the interior of the cabinet with light absorbing cloth.

With all this done correctly, the Hitachi will provide a remarkable image that cant be bettered by current digital displays of comparable size.

Owen

hi,the57wd7000 is going for $2500 in perth,i wonder if this tv has the same quality as the 5000 model,it is made in china,as a lot of tv's are,owen is the 5000 made in japan?because the 7000 seems like bloody good value to me.cheers stubbey.