"ABC SA" not ABC Adelaide this time

Hi,

Rescanned the Toshiba last two nights and manage to pick up (in upper Magill area) ABC SA - channel 38, SBS on channel 41. On the Toshi, the field strength didn't even budge but the quality jumps up and down and stabilizes for a while with a 19-24 S/N DB rating. Same duplication of our metro ABC but if my antenna is pointing to Mt Lofty, what area would I be picking up "ABC SA"? Am I getting the back-end of any installations they may have for country at Lofty? I'm jusing a Caravan size directional antenna to pick it up...

During the day, obviously I just get the "Bad or No Signal" message - see if I can get it again tonight...

The following channels are transmitted from The Bluff. (North East of Pt Pirie)

ABNS (ABC) 38

SBS 41

Central TV (Commercial) 44.

Channels 39 & 47 are spare.

TV antenna band 5

Central TV has a supplementary licence so it can transmit its own signal (Southern Cross) and WIN's program.

AlanH

Wow! That's being picked up by the ars-end / ass-end / bum-end / wrong end, of my antenna! Or getting one wild reflection from somewhere... Not bad getting that in Adelaide. :blink:

Thanks for that AlanH! Do you know how many Megawatts / Kilowatts they are pushing?

Cheers :P

Digicruiser,

Congraqtulations. Just be mindful that the signal strength may vary with the weather and the time of day.

ABNS38 ABC 599.5 H DA 240kW 33 6 19S 138 9 45E

Television Tower via Wirrabara THE BLUFF

SBS41 SBS 620.5 H DA 240kW 33 6 19S 138 9 45E

GTS44 Commercial 641.5 H DA 240kW 33 6 19S 138 9 45E

The maximum allowed power in their desired direction is 240 KW

The minimum power is likely to be towards Mt Burr (Near Mt Gambier)

If you can give me your latitude and longitude I can use the figures above to give you an antenna direction and distance to the transmitter.

AlanH

Thanks for that, aware of that as I do a hell lot of radio stuff and like to get the impossible sometimes - like picking up a British Volmet station on a decent SW radio where they are only pushing 1 Kilowatt - all about conditions around the place - what a catch!

Elevation 167 m, S 34.90823, E 138.68490

GDA Datum

This of course is measured several houses up to protect my location 8-)

Thanks for that and for the info! :blink:

The following channels are transmitted from The Bluff. (North East of Pt Pirie)

ABNS (ABC) 38

SBS 41

Central TV (Commercial) 44.

Channels 39 & 47 are spare.

TV antenna band 5

Central TV has a supplementary licence so it can transmit its own signal (Southern Cross) and WIN's program.

AlanH

Wow! That's being picked up by the ars-end / ass-end / bum-end / wrong end, of my antenna! Or getting one wild reflection from somewhere... Not bad getting that in Adelaide. :blink:

Thanks for that AlanH! Do you know how many Megawatts / Kilowatts they are pushing?

Cheers :P

Way back in another life they/I say you could pick up Tassie VHF stations from the "Bluff" during summer due to "skip" effect.