A TT to call my own

There have been a number of very good direct drives made over time (Technics being a good example, though other companies have done it well too) and a number of very dodgy belt drives. And vice versa.

The Technics TT's have been maligned. A leading retailer almost laughed when I told him recently that my TT was a Technics direct-drive from the late 1970's. He instantly told me it was so bad he didn't want to sell me a replacement cartridge for it because "I would be wasting my money". You'll hear the motor running "brrrrrr" all through your records.

I fitted the cartridge and played the TT. The background was as black as audible black could be. Beautiful dynamics, quiet patches were not coloured by any background noise (apart from the odd pop and click that vinyl is renowned for).

So from my experience, direct drive turntables are not that crap after all, and the torque is simply amazing. You can clean your records with a brush without the platter stopping as in most belt or string-drive turntables.

Oh and mine is semi automatic, so it lifts the arm at the end of the record and places it back on its holder. All without any noise. You don't see that even in your $50,000 turntables these days.

GG

• Like 1

Gryphon Guy, I personally prefer belt drives but really the difference is in how well the TT is made. A well made DD makes for a great TT and I reckon that guy you talked to is nuts. Everything I've read about the better Technics DD turntables says they're very good and don't have motor noise. Wonder what he thinks about an SL10?

Anyway I'm not just here to comment on that. There's a decent looking Yamaha here: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Yamaha-Turntable-Model-YP-211_W0QQitemZ170344017719QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Electronics_Home_Audio_Turntables?hash=item27a94b6f37&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Don't know anything about it but it looks ok and has a very attractive price at the moment.

There is a manual on The Vinyl Engine and the description is as follows:

From The Vinyl Engine

Description

Features of the Yamaha YP-211 include a powerful multi-pole synchronous motor, belt drive for low wow and flutter, auto-return and auto-cut features designed for optimum operating convenience and a sensitive S-type static balance tone arm with cueing lever and inside force canceller.

The cabinet has slim attractive styling and a fitted free setting hinged dust cover

Specifications

Motor: 4-pole synchronous motor

Platter: 300mm die-cast aluminium

Speeds: 33 and 45rpm

Drive system: belt drive

Signal to noise ratio: better than 52dB

Wow and flutter: better than 0.08% WRMS

Type: S-type static balance

Effective length: 215mm

Overhang: 15mm

Cartridge weight: 5 to 11g

Dimensions: 435 x 150 x 361mm

Weight: 6kg

Might be worth a look.

DS

Gryphon Guy, I personally prefer belt drives but really the difference is in how well the TT is made. A well made DD makes for a great TT and I reckon that guy you talked to is nuts. Everything I've read about the better Technics DD turntables says they're very good and don't have motor noise. Wonder what he thinks about an SL10?

Anyway I'm not just here to comment on that. There's a decent looking Yamaha here: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Yamaha-Turntable-Model-YP-211_W0QQitemZ170344017719QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Electronics_Home_Audio_Turntables?hash=item27a94b6f37&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Don't know anything about it but it looks ok and has a very attractive price at the moment.

There is a manual on The Vinyl Engine and the description is as follows:

From The Vinyl Engine

Might be worth a look.

DS

Thanks, I'll see if they will post because that is a huge distance away from me :nana

"The Technics TT's have been maligned. A leading retailer almost laughed when I told him recently that my TT was a Technics direct-drive from the late 1970's. He instantly told me it was so bad he didn't want to sell me a replacement cartridge for it because "I would be wasting my money". You'll hear the motor running "brrrrrr" all through your records."

That dealer is obviously from another planet ;). What a load of bollocks..nothing wrong with the Technics DD's at all!.. were good performers for the $$$, and the SL-D's still sell well 2ndH.. at least over here...Never encountered any hummmmmm or brrrrrr on any that I have used... even with Grado's mounted!.....Still use an SP25 .. reliable as.. quiet as... though not quite in the sound league of decent belt drive!

Still no luck, no one wants to post to melbourne. Another thing that grinds my gears is how people needlessly jack up prices by bidding days before the end for no reason. TT that start at $20 end up $200 because of this bs.

Nah its just like a western gun fight,.

A big flurry at the end with only the last guy standing.

16KG... I'm astonished. I'll keep my eyes on that one, cheers.

Looks very similar to the Kenwood KD-500 (Heavy "granite" plinth, Direct Drive) and also may go for similar money by the looks of things:o

Guest kitazan

Hi,Deathmask a friend recommended to me to buy a Rega Planar 3 T/T second hand which I did,was lucky enough to find one in our local paper paid $450 for it if you can save a bit more it will be worth it there is more about it on the Rega web site

Hi,Deathmask a friend recommended to me to buy a Rega Planar 3 T/T second hand which I did,was lucky enough to find one in our local paper paid $450 for it if you can save a bit more it will be worth it there is more about it on the Rega web site

Cheers, I unfortunately can't finance that much. Just bought tickets for an overseas holiday ($890), paid my car rego ($510), have to still fix a crack in my car's radiator ($300-500) not to mention all my other regular bills :) $150 for a TT is being totally decadent at the moment with whats in my bank account.

The Optonica, is a very interesting T.Table (i had forgotten about them) & certainly better than the Pioneer DDs (except the PLC-590) that are currently sought after.

I'll watch that auction with interest!!

• Like 1

Cheers, I unfortunately can't finance that much. Just bought tickets for an overseas holiday ($890), paid my car rego ($510), have to still fix a crack in my car's radiator ($300-500) not to mention all my other regular bills :love $150 for a TT is being totally decadent at the moment with whats in my bank account.

Then put it on hold and save up for something good.

It might be OK. For $50 you might even be able to get your money back later. However, I wouldn't expect it to be great, but may serve fine as an interim disc spinner if you really need one now.

Still no luck, no one wants to post to melbourne. Another thing that grinds my gears is how people needlessly jack up prices by bidding days before the end for no reason. TT that start at $20 end up $200 because of this bs.

LOL. So you reckon if all bids were put in in the last few minutes the price would stay lower?

Doesn't make sense to me, and I often bid early when interested in an Ebay item. Sometimes a late bid can come unstuck, as I have found out on many occasions.:love

Chris

• Like 1