What are the connectivity options?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful what scart to s-video connector you get I have the UEC 1000D Foxtel box and something is not right I haven't bothered to check the cause as I'm booked for 15th March change over the converter I have is the one with the input/output switch I get an inverted 90% b/w picture with portions in odd colors eg. shadows on faces turn to orange to my surprise the inline composite---->s-video converter works well

Also I believe component is being looked at and if it is done will be made available by firmware update to the box via download

Harry

I may well be wrong on this[hope so!] but I never seen or heard of component comming from scart! I don't think scart connections are good for component signals IMHO

cheers laurie

You can have component over Scart. It uses the three wires for RGB. The device that is outputting via the Scart plug usually has a setting where you can tell it whether these 3 wires are RGB or YUV. The PACE box can support this but it needs a software upgrade to provide the setting.

Harry

I may well be wrong on this[hope so!] but I never seen or heard of component comming from scart! I don't think scart connections are good for component signals IMHO

cheers laurie

Welll the Teac DVB 300 Set top Box has a firmware upgrade which enables component output via SCART. They use the same pins as RGB, so a SCART to RGB adaptor works.

I have done it and it works well.

There is no difficulty in providing Component out of a SCART connector. The video channels are simply Y/G, Pr/R, Pb/B, the Y channel carries the Sync as usual so the fourth composite feed on the SCART is not required and can be used to feed a VCR or what ever.

Remember that MPEG video is infact component, just before the video is sent to the DAC's in the decoder there is a component to RGB transcoder normally done digitally for precision. Most of the newer MPEG decoders can simply bypass the transcoder and provide a component output. This simply requries a software switch to allow this, as most of the STB's are Euro marketed the need for this is often overlooked by manaufactures, hence in future we should see the ability to switch between formats as the norm, ie software allows for it out of the box.

As for a SCART connector being inadequate for component, well that is complete bunkum. A while ago I worked on a project involving a STB design, and there was some comment as to the quality of a SCART connection, so I dragged the network analyser out and did some performance checks. The usefull bandwidth of most SCART interfaces exceeded 20MHz (only need around 5MHz for 576i) and more importantlly the typical return loss was good (>30dB to 4MHz) and typically remained >25dB to around 10MHz. This was tested on several SCARTed STB's and DVD's using commonly avaiable commercial cables. This is not a lot different (if any) to using a RCA connection.

Cheers

Cyril

Now I believe Svideo will be available via the scart output (will need a scart to svideo adaptor..should be supplied). Also I believe component is being looked at and if it is done will be made available by firmware update to the box via download (as it done with other STU updates).

Harry et al.

Yes you are correct. At present (for the last 5 years) I have the UEC660 satellite STB and currently watching FOX channels on S-video. To make it work you need a standard SCART converter with an S-video plug available at Dick Smiths for about $19, and then you need to set the SCART output to S-video in the Menu/advanced options area of the STB. The options there are RGB, S-video and composite. I havnt tried the RGB output, but I assume that it could be made with a SCART plug and wired on connections that most handymen with soldering etc skills could handle. I would have to revisit the manual to see if component connections are also there, not sure at this point.

I have also seen a drawing of a SCART connector in a users manual for a european TV with all the pin connections at a customers house. I remember that just about every pin has some function, if required I will go back to customer for a copy and post it here if anyone wants it.

So for Fox now saying the new box etc is a digital upgrade, dont believe it, it is no different to the existing satellite service, with the exception of the ability to switch angles and have movies on demand by the interactive option.

Dick Smith have a SCART to Component connector for around $25.00.

I may be wrong, but I think that it will depend on how the SCART in the STB is in fact wired (?). 'Cause I think that at a minimum SCART could output only Component.

I think we need some experimenting on the new STB to find out exactly what is/can come out of the SCART connector. My worry is that Fox are very shy on this subject, which raises the hackles of suspicion.

In my conversations with Fox, when I ask "is there a component facility via the SCART " and " is there a difference in the SCART to TV and the second 'SCART to VCR" the response is something like:

"the picture quality will blow you away, the box is nice and slim and a great silver colour"...I am NOT joking, guys.

keep the pressure on.

Colin

Cause I think that at a minimum SCART could output only Component.

I think you mean Composite, and yes this (Composite) is the minimum output configuration of a SCART connector.

As far as what interfaces the SCART connectors on the new Fox box's is, from all accounts, Composite, S-Video, and RGB. I see no reason for Fox to not offer a software upgrade in future to allow for Component as this is very very likely to be a feature of the MPEG decoder they are using.

It is quite normal that the VCR SCART will only support Composite, and that would agree with the PACE flyer, but then unless you have a DVHS or SVHS VCR there is no advantage in feeding anything other than Composite to it.

Cheers

Cyril

Hi guys im a sat foxtel user and i recently bought a scart to component converter from hantrex. Can someone explain to me why when i run it thru the TV output on the foxt STB i get a red screen and when i go thru the VCR out put i get a colour picture.

Cyril,

Yes, (blush) I meant composite.

I have a Panasonic AE300 projector that takes RGB, S-Video, component & Composite. My TV has a SCART and composite connector.

I will experiiment with the STB connectivity once I get installed: 10 March.

This will be a challenge for me, as I know only basics: especially with RGB.

Will be fun trying, and fun sending the Dick Smith sales bods insane.

Thanks for your correction.

Colin

cosi,

you said when you ran the scart to component into your VCR that you get a color picture.

Just about every VCR won't take component inputs, only composite.

So are you sure your cable is scart to component? Or is it really scart to composite. Component uses three cables, composite uses one.

Peter,

On the back of my foxtel STB there are two Scart outputs.

One labelled TV and the other VCR.

When i run the Scart output from the back of my Foxtel STB to my component the picture is red. (I have a scart to component converter).

But when i run the same connection thru the VCR output on the back of my Foxtel STB everything is fine.

cosi,

It sounds like ytou haven't configured the first scart interface correctly for component. To do this you need to go into the setup menu on your Foxtel box, then advanced setup, enter the PIN 9949 and change the setting for the first scart port to match the way the second one is set up (if that one's working fine).

John

When i run the Scart output from the back of my Foxtel STB to my component the picture is red. (I have a scart to component converter).

But when i run the same connection thru the VCR output on the back of my Foxtel STB everything is fine.

I would say the VCR output is only composite, hence why it looked fine?

Is your SCART to component converter an active RGB to YUV converter, or simply a pinout adapter? If it is only a pinout adapter, then the YUV option for the TV connector *should* work (if chosen in the setup menu), but I am only speaking from experience with a DVD player with SCART out here (and hacked firmware to support YUV instead of RGB from the three RGB SCART pairs).....

guys and gals,

Here are the pin connections for a scart plug. Taken from a diagram of a Grundig TV.

1. Audio right O/P

2. Audio right I/P

3. Audio left O/P

4. Audio earth

5. Blue earth

6. Audio left I/P

7. RGB Blue I/P

8. switching voltage

9. Green earth

10. ----

11. RGB Green I/P

12. ----

13. Red earth

14. Earth

15. RGB Red I/P (also chroma for s-video)

16. RGB switching voltage

17. video earth

18. RGB switching voltage earth

19. video O/P

20. video I/P

21. Shielding earth.

S-video uses video O/P and Chroma along with respective earths.

As can be seen there is composite, S-video, and RGB available from the Scart plug.

I have confirmed that s-video is available on the old UEC 660 satellite box on both the TV and VCR plugs.

Havnt had time to try RGB yet.

Brian

THE CONVERTER I AM USING IS THE FOLLWOING SEE BELOW:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RGB TO COMPONENT CONVERTER BOX

This great little box will convert RGB signals, which are the highest quality signals to come out of a Strong digital set top box, into component signals - which many Asian televisions accept.

The input is via SCART, and the output, as you can see on the picture is component via rca. (the green, blue and red sockets).

There is a 7.5V transformer that comes with the unit, just plug it in and off you go.

Please note this unit will NOT convert component into RGB - only RGB into component.