Best Progressive DVD Player for Sony KVHR36M31

I was at the HN store (Auburn) last Sunday and may have seen this Samsumg DVD Player connected to Panny AE500 Projector using DVI. I did not realise it was capable of upconerting to 720P/1080I. Picture quality was good. Again it was playing one of Samsung promotional DVD.

I did not pay too much attention as these promotional DVDs have high bit rates to make picture look good. I might go back and follow it up. The sales guy mentioned a price tag less than $700, I think. I was not paying too much attention to the DVD player though as I was mainly interested in the Panny AE500 which was very impressive.

New Pioneer 50 inch Plasma looks a beauty with best contrast compared to all other Plasmas on display.

Things have changed a lot (for the better) in the last 3 years. I am still happy with my Panny05a and DGTEC 2000a combo.

I will have to work on a upgrade path now.

Bala

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just noticed this on the Samsung site!

http://www.samsung.com/au/products/dvdplay...=Specifications

It has DVI, is capable of 720P and 1080i.  Could be interesting.

Lindsay

can it do 720p and 1080i using component or does it need DVI which the KVHR doesn't have.

The Samsung (which retails for $599), only does upconverted 720p and 1080i through DVI. You need to look at the imported Momitsu V880 (which you can purchase OS for about $400 or from Melbourne for about $450 plus postage) to get upconverted signals through component. I'm not sure about the more expensive alternatives (the two Marantz and Denon models), which are $2000 plus. Previous posters say the Momitsu gives a good picture, but the hardware is fairly cheap and nasty.

Is the Sony DVPNS730 multiregion out of the box?

Yeap sure is. I have not tried any RCE discs yet (dont own any) but its beenw orking well on all my discs I have tried so far (even the problem discs that screwed up on my loewe player !).

I was about to purchase a Sony DVPNS730 dvd player and was told it was it is out of stock and discontinued.

I was out at the new Domayne at Alexandria (Sydney) today - today was the Grand Opening - and they had about 30 of these players stacked up for sale. From memory, they were ticketed at $230, so they could have been had for $200. BTW, this store is well worth a visit. It's absolutely incredible - not just the audiovisual area, but also the kitchen and bathroom display areas. I've never seen anything quite like it.

John

Apologies, it was in Megamart (also in Alexandria, Sydney) that I saw the Sony DVPNS730 dvd player for that price. (I visited Megamart straight after Domayne, as they are jsut around the corner). The price was discounted due to Megamart's 10% sale this weekend.

John

• 2 weeks later...
I am surprised no one has noticed the Yamaha S540 in this thread so far (when I was looking for a PS player, it was recommended on a lot of forums). The player does both PAL and NTSC progressive, has excellent build quality and sound. Probably the only con is that it can make some whirring sound (on some DVDs/VCDs); but I only notice it if am right next to it.

cheers,

Ritesh

Like you Ritesh I too am surprised. I have the 540 running through a Palsonic 76WSHD TV. Cost was about $270.

OSD is telling me I'm watching 720P and PQ is nothing less than jaw droppingly good.

Specs on the sony 730 specify 576P (I think).

Opted for the yammy over the sony as I'm a disgruntled sony customer from way back...nasty experience with a first generation cd player...only redeeming factor in that exercise was the retailer...sony were very disappointing and I've steered clear of them ever since.

I have confirmation from Sony that the DVPNS730 has been discontinued. The replacement model is the DVPNS775.

.....which has lesser specs than the 730P.

The new one uses an even cheaper de-interlacing chip and has a 10-bit/54Mhz Video DAC as opposed to a 12-bit/108 Mhz Video DAC on the 730P. It even feels light and tinny as well.

The RRP of the new one is only $229, so that in itself tells you something.

The 730P is on clearance at most places at the moment and you can pick it up for $200-$230. If you were thinking of getting one in the near future, I would recommend trying to find one of these before they all disappear. For the price, you can't go wrong.

Hi Chilla,

Do you know any stores in particular which have them? I'm in Sydney, like you (Innner West). I'm kicking myself I didn't buy one for $130 when I had the chance last week at Bing Lee.

John

Try Bing Lee DFO, Homebush. They are selling them for $200

Hi Chilla,

Do you know any stores in particular which have them? I'm in Sydney, like you (Innner West). I'm kicking myself I didn't buy one for $130 when I had the chance last week at Bing Lee.

John

You saw a 730P for $130?? And didn't buy it?!?!

I have seen them in the following stores in the last week or so:

Sony Central, Chatswood - $249 ($230 cash)

Good Guys, Castle Hill - $240 ($220) - 3 left

Powerhouse, Chatswood - $279 (dunno) - 2 left

Bing Lee - Castle Hill - Can't remember price

Go snap 'em up :blink: