Coming soon: an openly baffling GTG in Melbourne

Coming soon: June 27 &/or July 4 based on the DIY open baffle systems of myself and gainphile.

Event now full (unless we have cancellations) - watch this space and express your interest here in case anyone can't make it.

As this is a combined event, gainphile may have some slightly different arrangements on some details regarding the part of the day at his place, so I'll leave it to him to chime in.

When: On a saturday arvo approx 12 - 6pm, date to be confirmed, around the end of June, or early July

Where: Two venues & two different systems, both in the Frankston area

How many: Gainphile can do about 5, I can do about 8 or perhaps a few more depending on how much squashing in people can live with! While I have a dedicated room, it's only 3.9 x 4.7m but I can do 2 rows of 4 - 5.

Depending on the level of interest and the feedback I get, we could do this as two separate events. I thought as some may have some travel, it would be good to combine, and also interesting for people to hear two different DIY OB systems in the one day. But I'll leave this one open to suggestion.

Food: We'll start with lunch at my place - BYO plate of food to share. I'll phone to confirm who is coming, and make sure we have a good mix of food, and also cooking up something myself.

Gainphile, would you do some food at your place, or just keep it all together for lunch?

Alcohol: Anyone is welcome to bring their preferred poison of choice, and I may also bring something, although please make an allowance for driving to venue #2!

Music: Please do bring your reference tracks, and anything else you'd like to hear. While I do have a few reference tracks of my own, I'd prefer to spend most of the day listening to music you guys bring.

Would anyone else like to bring any equipment?

Considering the DIY systems on demo, anyone who'd like to bring equipment as part of the day is welcome. Especially DIY! Not that anything is specifically needed.

The systems

System 1: (Mine)

My system is based on vifa drivers - a main open baffle panel MTM on top of sealed stereo subwoofers - two 12" Rythmik servo kits. DIY preamp based on ESP design. Behringer Ultracurve DEQ2496 eq is used full range and the main amp of the system is the overkill pro monster Europower with 650w. Far too much power but I don't use it all.

I'll demonstrate the EQ unit, which is an interesting demo.

The amp is hardly what anyone would call audiophile, but to my ears the result is still very good. If anyone would like to bring a power amp for the purposes of comparison, please feel free. I'd be curious to hear the difference.

It's a work in progress system in prototype form (ugly chipboard boxes), but to my ears they sound better than my previous very solid box speakers.

System 2: (gainphile)

I'm not sure exactly what gainphile will demo, but his system is also open baffle, but unlike mine it's ALL open baffle. And much prettier than mine at the moment.

It's shown here:

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=13108

I won't say any more as I haven't heard it or seen it yet and don't know what he will demo on the day. But needless to say, I'm quite keen to hear it.

RSVP: Please indicate here if you'd like to come, if there are dates that do and don't work around the end of the month, and your thoughts on 1 vs 2 events.

Coming:

1. Paul Spencer

2. gainphile

3. Luckydog

4. joz

5. keith_W

6. davel

7. rippingdragon

8. ando

9. happy pants

10. 56oval

Waiting list (in case anyone can't come)

1. junkmail

2. junkmail's brother

Could everyone who is coming please PM or email me with their email and phone so I can contact you.

Edited by Paul Spencer

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say possible dates are Sat 27th (my preferred) or Sat July 4th.

List updated ...

joz, as I recall you had all kinds of interesting music at the deqx demo, some of the tracks ones I haven't heard similar on my system.

Guys, what do you think about 1 vs 2 events here?

Edited by Paul Spencer

I'd say possible dates are Sat 27th (my preferred) or Sat July 4th.

List updated ...

joz, as I recall you had all kinds of interesting music at the deqx demo, some of the tracks ones I haven't heard similar on my system.

Guys, what do you think about 1 vs 2 events here?

O oh! my interesting music,that could be baaad!

But glad to bring along any if you want..:P

So you're in franga Paul.

Not far from my work place.

I've heard a few pseudo open baffle implementations and have since been curious to hear more as I really liked the presentation of these systems.

I'm definitely interested and will send you a PM now with my contact details.

Would be great to catch up again if you do go :P

Hi Paul, thanks for putting this up. We'll confirm the dates shortly too.

Let's make it 1 event to save all the trips. From your place we'll drive down to mine (only 2 suburbs away) and the general idea is to play songs brought by participants. Mine is ok too I even have some 24/96 recordings. Play on OB then perhaps Pluto clone. Normally people are more impressed with the pluto :D. If anyone wants to bring equipment that would be great too.

My house (unit) is pretty small. The current number of 7 should be ok but a bit cramped.

I'm dead interested in listening to your DCX2496. Getting sick of having to drive to Jaycar for those precious R and C :P

Andi

Edited by gainphile

The amp is hardly what anyone would call audiophile, but to my ears the result is still very good. If anyone would like to bring a power amp for the purposes of comparison, please feel free. I'd be curious to hear the difference.

Hi Paul

I have a number of power amps I could bring if you like. If you are boosting with your EQ then the valve amps may struggle, depending on your speakers. I have a Tempest and a Trinity made by Earle and a couple of solid state amps, a Rowland 112 (my main amp) and a Behringer EP4000 with fan mod. Both of those should be fine with your eq'ing, especially the EP4000, which does sound surprisingly good for the money it cost me.

List updated.

Andi,

I'm certainly interested in hearing the famous Plutos as well! Were you referring to my DCX? I actually have DEQ which is for EQ only, however, it did occur to me it would be fun if someone had a DCX they don't mind bringing. Along with another amp or two we could come up with an active variant on the day. This could mean a tube amp on the tweeter, solid state on the midbasses (about 12db boost at 80 Hz due to 300 Hz dipole roll off). Of course, with 3 speakers at 2 venues and with food to be eaten and all the talking ............. could be a stretch to do things justice.

We're reaching a point of stretching limits for numbers. How do you guys feel about one event vs two? With one, we're packing a fair amount into one day, and possibly having to reduce numbers a bit, but saving people some driving. Some may have to miss out on the second part of the day due to space. With two we can accomodate a few more for the first day at least, and be a bit less time restricted.

Let me know your thoughts guys!

Lucky,

Thought you mis-typed the name of your Behringer, but on looking it up, it appears it's a later version of what I have (EP2500). From what I can tell, a more powerful version. I haven't done any fan mods yet so I'd be curious to see how effective it was, although probably not worth lugging the beast over just for me to hear (or not hear) the fan.

Your amps sound impressive - I'd certainly be interested to hear them if you'd like to bring them. I admit I'm curious in particular to hear a tube amp on my system, even though we'd have to be gentle due to the eq used. I've only heard tube amps on systems that were so different to mine, I really couldn't form an opinion on the sound.

I'm in the Frankston area.

I'm proposing two possible dates - June 27 &/or July 4

If anyone can make it to one but not the other, please let me know.

Still looking for feedback on one vs two events. All those in favour of all in one day put one hand up! And all those in favour of two, two hands.

Lucky,

Thought you mis-typed the name of your Behringer, but on looking it up, it appears it's a later version of what I have (EP2500). From what I can tell, a more powerful version. I haven't done any fan mods yet so I'd be curious to see how effective it was, although probably not worth lugging the beast over just for me to hear (or not hear) the fan.

Your amps sound impressive - I'd certainly be interested to hear them if you'd like to bring them. I admit I'm curious in particular to hear a tube amp on my system, even though we'd have to be gentle due to the eq used. I've only heard tube amps on systems that were so different to mine, I really couldn't form an opinion on the sound.

Hi Paul

The tube amps will struggle with that amount of boost.

The fan mod on the ep4000 was simple to do and very effective. I bought it and the tube amps for a diy speaker project that went nowhere.

Given that time tends to slide by mighty fast at GTG's, maybe we could do the amp swappy thing another day! Given we are local and all. Happy to go with whatever you prefer.

I vote for the single day option, but happy to go with the flow.

Just made it, 56! If anyone else wants to come, it's still worth expressing your interest in case someone has to cancel, or can't make it when the date is set.

Hello Paul Spencer

i would love to coma and also my brother would like to come as well

Update:

Pencil in Sat 27th at 12pm for the event. Hands up anyone who can't make it on that date.

To keep it simple and so everyone can see hear all 3 speakers, we're now running the whole event at my place.

Andi has graciously agreed to bring both of his creations, so I’m very happy to say everyone will get to hear 3 different speakers, all with a very interesting room interaction, in the one room! So you’ll get to hear full range open baffle, open baffle with monopole bass, and an omni.

Still need contact details for joz and junkmail (just in case).