DGTEC 5000I Questions & Answers

dnie

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone using the 5000i have it intermittently lock up when changing on to 9 HD (in Brissie, at least)? Mine just stops - I still get picture (very good picture, in fact :blink:), but no sound, the info panel gets stuck on the screen and none of the remote or front panel buttons work. Unplugging from power fixes it, but that's at best a pain :P) Changing to anyone else's HD channel doesn't do it, just 9's - and it doesn't seem to matter if they're playing the loop or a real program - same thing happens intermittently.

Well this is very interesting.

Within the last 3 days my Toshiba s23a (similar to 5000i) has developed a problem of losing audio 22 minutes after changing to Ch9 HD here in Perth. The video still displays but without audio. If I change channels - anything - and then back to 9HD it is fine for the next 22 minutes.

Wierd Huh!!

Lindsay

Just plugged in my box for the first time and are a little worried about the amount of heat that the thing produces. Expecially on the Right Hand Side of the box. Its well ventilated.

I can probably leave my had there for about 10 seconds before having to remove it.

Is this normal?

I had a DGTEC 5000i HD/SD box that wouldn't lock channels in properly.

I had 2002 software loaded/ contacted DGTEC in Melbourne 22 December.

That afternoon a courier rang to pick the unit up ( at their expense )- they

did a software update SEPT 2003 version - returned the unit by courier express ( again at their expense) on 6/01/04. ALL digital services are rock solid in pulling the signal in now and look great. I must admit I was VERY impressed by the service. THANKS DGTEC - WELL DONE.

Brad57, I have the DG-5000i connect to a Pioneer 50" plasma and am in Brisbane and all works fine, no lockups at all. Sorry I can't offer anymore help than that.

Widemouth, mine only got very hot when I had another component (plasma media box) on top of it, effectively blocking the top ventilation holes. I now have it all alone and it is fine, even in the hot weather we have had in QLD this week.

KJG

Brad57, I have the DG-5000i connect to a Pioneer 50" plasma and am in Brisbane and all works fine, no lockups at all. Sorry I can't offer anymore help than that.

Widemouth, mine only got very hot when I had another component (plasma media box) on top of it, effectively blocking the top ventilation holes. I now have it all alone and it is fine, even in the hot weather we have had in QLD this week.

KJG

KJG,

Thanks for the reply, I rang the DGTEC support this morning and the person I spoke to wasn't concerned about the heat output even in standby mode. He informs me that even in standby mode it is still receiving the digital signals mainly to display the clock on the front.

I think I still need to install a couple of fans into the cabinet to cool things down.

I wouldn't of though that an electronic device should run that hot. Its hard to judge the actual temperature but I can't leave my hand on the top RHS of the box for any longer than 10 seconds without risking burns!!

Does anyone know of a switched power board or something that can be controlled from a remote? The Set top Box is now another device in the cabinet that uses a s**t load of power when in standby mode. It would be nice to be able to cut the power to these devices somehow without having to get behind the unit and turn them off at the wall.

Thanks in advance.

I took it back this morning and the sales rep said that they all run hot and you could "fry an egg" on the thing. I told him that you could literally "fry an egg" on mine and he ended up replacing it with a new one.

Took it home and guess what... It runs just as hot as the original, even in standy mode sitting by itself on a open shelf.

I took a trip to another retailer and he had two 5000i units that had been running all morning and they were only slightly warm.

Is it possible I have had two units that are faulty???

Does anyone elses get extremely hot??? I believe that this product poses a fire danger to kids and if my baby daugter touched it she would burn herself.

Also on both the units I have had the sound drop out occasionally and the only way to get it back is to change the channel. I'm More worried about the heat at this stage though.

:blink:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still waiting for a copy of the act from the local Energy Safety Directorate which specify the maximum heat output from a consumer device. One of the inspectors did say to me that a domestic device should not run that hot.

I post it here when I receive it and if its above the allowed temperature it could end up with the whole DGTEC product line being recalled!!

The device does seem to be sensitive to the temperature of the room though. If its below about 25-30 degrees then the unit stays cool. Probably why people with good air conditiong never see the problem. According to the manual the unit is rated to run in temperatured of 5 - 40 degrees.

As soon as the room temperature increases, thats when I begin to have problems with heat and the sound dropping out. I would say that the cabinet just above the power supply would be hitting 60 - 70 degrees.

The retailer has said that they are happy to swap it for a different brand. At least there is decent support from the retailer. DGTEC won't even return my calls.

I suppose you could take your "hot" unit into the shop and see if it runs hot there - this would identify whether it's the unit itself, or the environment.

If they have made the offer to replace it with another brand, why not get a Toshiba S23A. This is the Rolls Royce HD-STB and I don't think anyone has reported any problems at all with it.

I have one and it works flawlessly.

John

Hi All,

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before but I recently noticed that the 5000i is capable of outputting 576i on the composite and S-Video connectors while simultaneously outputing 1080i to the component connectors. (My 2000A disables the SD outputs when the HD outputs are selected.) I can now watch a HD channel in HD and record it at the same time!

With regard to operating temperature, my 5000i runs warm to the touch.

Regards,

Ian.

• 3 weeks later...

Interested to hear if anybody is having similar problems with a DGTEC 5000i

The STB came as a bonus with a Sony KVHR36M31. Ran beautifully for about 30 mins before locking up (couldn't change channels) then lost picture and sound altogether and wouldn't turn off. Rang DGTEC who suggested unplug and wait 30 mins. Did this and worked OK for a short time then repeated problem. Went through same routine a couple of more times, same result. Rang DGTEC again, asked for STB info which was a June 2003 date. Needed firmware update and arranged for a courier to pick up.

Box arrived back with the new firmware installed:

H/W Version: BCM 70Z0RCO 1.3

S/W Version: AUDGOO43M3 DT1r1t1f2F

Release time: Sept 4 2003 09:17:27

However, back to its old tricks again, running for a period then locking up etc., but then ran from about from early evening to about 11 pm without any problems, when it was tuned off with the remote standby button. Next morning noted that the clock was displaying 0204 and wouldn't turn on. Repeated the unplug procedure and then ran for about 2 hours before locking up once again.

Checked temperature during all these stages - slightly above normal body heat but not as hot as some have indicated.

Before ringing DGTEC again, would like to hear from other owners who have been down this path and what their experiences were, and was the problem solved?

Thanks in advance for your time and input.

Kabe :blink:

I had the SBS lockup problem that was only invoked when you tried to scan the SBS channel changes (Sydney). Other than that I have had faultless performance for over a year now except for one lockup requiring power down for a few seconds just the other day. It has again performed faultlessly since.

Oh.... I did have a problem where I was getting a verticle red line on all channels. I sent it back for a firmware upgrade and the problem is now fixed,,, but I doubt it was firmware.... It performed faultlessly for months with the same firmware with no line.

I am not going to string words of merit for DGTEC, but it does seem that they do have some very good instances of their products, as well as some very bad of the same product. The inconsistency is terrible. I am just glad that I seem to have gotten a good unit, and I am not experiencing any of the problems other have had here.

-- Adrian

Kabe, I have the 5000i connected up to a Pioneer 50" plasma and it all works fine, well except for one of the buttons on the remote sticking every now and then.

Mine also runs quite warm, but not as hot as some have mentioned. I initially had it stacked with other components, which of course prevented an adequate air flow but that is now rectified.

KJG

I've had my DGTEC box for just over a month now and so far have been relatively happy.

The only issue I have had with it is that a red line has appeared twice since I've had it, ie about once every 2 weeks, similar to adrianvos and I simply had to power down the unit from the power point to rectify this. May send it back if it starts occuring more regulalry.

chuckie.

I have the same problem with the box locking up sometimes, but so far it has been a while since it last did that. Hopefully the problem is fixed, but I doubt it.

I also have this problem where sometimes when I watch something through component (I use s-video for normal channels and component through the receiver for HD channels), I see one or two vertical lines coming down the screen. It isn't noticable until certain colours are displayed in that spot. I don't know whether it has to do with the component cables I am using or whether its the box itself that has a problem. Most of the time you won't notice anything, but every now and then you might see it. What can I do to fix this problem?

I have the same problem with the box locking up sometimes, but so far it has been a while since it last did that. Hopefully the problem is fixed, but I doubt it.

I also have this problem where sometimes when I watch something through component (I use s-video for normal channels and component through the receiver for HD channels), I see one or two vertical lines coming down the screen. It isn't noticable until certain colours are displayed in that spot. I don't know whether it has to do with the component cables I am using or whether its the box itself that has a problem. Most of the time you won't notice anything, but every now and then you might see it. What can I do to fix this problem?

I was having these lines, too, on my 5000i.

I unplugged the STB from the wall for a few minutes and plugged it back in. Had to set up my channels again, but haven't seen the lines since.

But now I seem to be getting slightly different colours - eg the OSD has a slightly lighter shade of blue and other colours look "less natural".

Any ideas?

Mark T

• 2 weeks later...

I am about to purchase the DGTEC 5000i and after reading some of the comments in this thread, I am starting to worry whether this is a good idea or not.

Anyway, someone in this thread mentioned the Toshiba as the Rolls Royce of STB's. I was thinking of buying this unit as well but decided to go for the DGTEC because of the digital amber display which I think is a little off putting considering everything else I have, or about to have, is green. I know it sound superficial, but hey, I can be like that some times.

• 1 month later...

Things seemed to have settled down with the DGTEC DG 5000i problems (not so many posts of late), however, I have a question that somebody with a good knowledge of this STB that might be able to answer for me. SUBTITLES? Do they exist on the DG5000i? Only reference to subtitles appears under Full Teletext/Subtitles on the side of the carton and page 18 in the User's Guide under Teletext/Closed Caption. Can get the teletext up and running on Channel 7 but need some pointers with subtitles.

Many thanks,

Kabe