Sony's new Rear Pros!

Hi everyone,

Browsing the Sony Australia Website, I noticed that Sony have released new Rear Pros. There are two new models: KPFW46M31 and KPFW51M31. They have a RRP of $4499 and $5499 respectively. They all support 576p/720p/1080i, feature a memory stick slot and have DRC1250 processing.

Has anyone seen the new models in action yet? They sound pretty good for the price.

Rahul

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see Sony bringing out a few HD RPTV's. Give the Toshiba units a run for their money.

116CM WIDESCREEN REAR PROJECTION WEGA TV KPFW46M31 $4,499.00

http://www.sony.com.au/product_detail_cont...odCod=KPFW46M31

130CM WIDESCREEN REAR PROJECTION WEGA TV KPFW51M31 $5,499.00

http://www.sony.com.au/product_detail_cont...odCod=KPFW51M31

Both these Sony accept 1080i, 720p & 576p

So at the moment we have HD RPTV from Toshiba, Panasonic & Sony

Mark

Did some investigating myself on the 46" avalability...

wont be until nearing Xmas (late december)

Got some info on Inputs it has two HD inputs...

1 is Component YPrPb/YCrCb

the other is Selectable Component YPrPb(CrCb) or RGB HV !

RGBHV would be very useful to people hooking it to a HTPC

Other standard inputs as usual composite, S-vid, Audio (1 output) and center channel

wow, 720p is a bonus too...

• 2 months later...

I couldnt find the Panasonic, so put an order in for the samsung, but for the 109cm, because the 119cm one was too large for where we were sitting, went to another store and saw the panny set up, put an order in straight away, it was such a better picture - so much better that it was actually easier on the eyes then the 109cm samsung.

The panny also has a non refelctive screen, which makes a huge difference.

I noticed on alot of the RPTVs that are avaliable everything sort of gets a glow around it - especially in fast action, and that the LCD RPTVs have a jerky picture (may have been their setup - normally is pretty dodgy). The Panasonic did not suffer from either of these.

I got my Panny for $3400 - should arrive next friday :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

No one has mentioned the new 47"and 57" Hitachi HD rear projectors.

http://www.hitachi.com.au/hitachi/content/...ndex.asp?ID=123

They promise to be the best rear projectors available in Oz if the US models are anything to go by.

I was going to purchase a 57" Toshiba but will hold of till I see the 57" Hitachi next week.

The LCD rear projectors available in Oz are no competiton for a calibrated CRT rear projector IMHO.

Regards,

Owen

Hmm, have not seen the Hitachi rear pros yet, have to find out where has one and go look at it! I currently have the Panny (47") on order, but that won't come until mid feburary, so this might be a good alternative :blink:

Anyone know if it has a non reflective screen like the panasonic or the toshiba? Because that is a really important thing for my room (very bright and lots of glare)

m00j,

Where did you see the Hitachi and which model. C47WD5000 or C57WD5000 ?

I am not aware of any on display in Sydney at this time.

Are you sure it was a new model.

The HD 16:9 models do not have reflective screens as fare as I know.

I want a 57" so my options are limited.

I have seen the Toshiba and the Sony. Toshiba wins be a mile.

I have yet to see the Hitachi.

CRT rear projectors need to be adjusted before you judge them. Most of them look like crap in retailers. The factory settings are way off.

Regards,

Owen

I believe it was the C47WD5000 althought it seemed to be a bit smaller (possibly 45" instead of 47") - but the frame was the same as in the picture on their website.

I saw it at Clive Anthony's at carseldine here in Brisbane, I called them and asked if they had the new hitachi on display, they said they had just got one. When there is a bright picutre on the screen you can't see the reflections, but if your watching a dark movie I think it would be very noticeable.

On another note, they had the panny right next to the LG DLP rear pro, and the quality of both pictures seemed neck and neck (the colours were a bit more vibrant on the panny, but probably just different settings) - proving that the good old CRT style rear projection can keep up with new and fancier technology.

I am shocked that the Pani looked better then the Hitachi.

Were both the sets useing a quality HD decoder connected by component cables and showing try HD material? (like the HD loop on 9)

The decoder and cables make a BIG differance.

Regards,

Owen

Both were hooked up to footballs, both displaying the 9 HD loop (using component cables, don't know what qaulity though)

The signal going to the Hitachi was a bit weaker (pixelisation occasionally) but overall I would say the panny had a smoother picture, the hitachi had sharp, jagged edges.

But it really comes down to personal preference, some will prefer one over the other, for anyone looking at getting one, just go look at them for yourself!

Yeah the toshibas are nice sets, I looked at getting one, but the price was quite a bit more (they wanted $4400 for it, and I got the panny for $3400 -from them!)

They say the shipment of pannys will arrive here in early-mid feb, I can't wait :blink:

I want a 57" so my options are limited.

I have seen the Toshiba and the Sony. Toshiba wins be a mile.

Well for 57" I expect the Toshiba would be better, since the new sonys are the smaller ones (46" and 51") - the 57" sony is an older model (I can't stand it - the screen flickers when you face side on and it is in your peripheral vision)

The Sony 57"was not an old model but a new HD model.

The Toshiba 57" HD is the best thing I have seen to date.

I intend to get the service manual and do all the calibration myself.

I have owned a Toshiba rear projector for four years and know my way around a service menu. Once my Toshiba was calibrated it only required a minor touch up once a year.

I have seen almost no good rear projectors in retailers. They are almost all so poorly adjusted that it is a wonder they sell any.

A good quality and correctly calibrated CRT rear projector is still among the best large screen displays available.

Digital displays still have some catching up to do.

Regards,

Owen

Owen, I live in the country and it's virtually impossible to get decent service on something as esoteric as a 57" rearpro. The technicians have had no experience with such beasts and tend to make it up as they go.

How do you get access to a service manual? Castel wouldn't supply me details of how to do the service convergence even though I said if it went wrong I was prepared to pay to have it corrected. I would definitely have a go if I could get the info.

What price are they asking for the 57" HD now? Surely it should have come down with the high dollar etc. When I bought my SD model (about 5-6 months ago) the HD was just over $7000.