My original globe was an Osrom P-VIP 120/L3 E23hL. Apparently a lot of the early LG DLP's had a dodgy batch of Osram globes. Mine went after about 1800hrs. Can't tell you the make/model of the replacement ($500) cos it's in the TV..........and working like a charm!!!

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own a RT44SZ21RB which is nearly two years old and have been experiencing the usual problem of the set returning to standby without starting for several months. Can usually get it started after several attempts and it sometimes goes for weeks without problems.

What I want to know is a new lamp the definitive fix to this problem before I shell out the $500-600 for the lamp?

I own a RT44SZ21RB which is nearly two years old and have been experiencing the usual problem of the set returning to standby without starting for several months. Can usually get it started after several attempts and it sometimes goes for weeks without problems.

What I want to know is a new lamp the definitive fix to this problem before I shell out the $500-600 for the lamp?

I just got a quote for a globe from a service center..

AUD$267.87 inc GST

Hi all,

My Lg has now stopped producing sound through the internal speakers........it still passes the audio through the av out sockets to my home theatre so it is not a total disaster but it gives a few clicks and pops when first turned on suggesting impending doom. I have an extended warranty so I guess I will call them tomorrow.

The memory of the problems I had with the first two sets was starting to fade a little - this little jolt has reminded me not to buy LG again. I hope they don't have to take it away. If they do I think I will get something else......

Bubbear

Edit at 7.40 am - the TV has decided to die. Clicks and pops then loses picture and there is a squeaking sound - sounds like the colour wheel. Time to go shopping....

A follow up - the repairer has just called and it has taken a week for the TV to make the squeaks and pops. They don't know at this stage what the problem is but he has also told me the light tunnel is failing and is to be replaced under the extended warranty. There is no stock of the light tunnel (not surprising considering the number that seem to have suffered this problem) and it could be up to 2 weeks before they even get the it.........

BTW I have replaced the LG with a Panasonic Viera Plasma. Not happy about having to part with so much money only 2 years after buying the LG but enough is enough.

Bubbear

Well it’s been a whole month since my last repair, now a motor (it’s not the fans) is getting loud, changing pitch, oscillating etc, you know what I mean. I guess it’s that one that spins the light wheel. So that’s a light tunnel, AC converter, motor and I think I am almost due for a new globe.

So I will have to arrange for that to be repaired. Due to this sets reliability I went and bought a 42” Plasma LG42PX5D. Yeh I know another LG. Got it for $4400 with a 5 year warranty, extended warranties are almost compulsory with LG products.

I am with you Bubbear enough was enough, now I have to find somewhere to store this set after it get fixed.

Well it’s been a whole month since my last repair, now a motor (it’s not the fans) is getting loud, changing pitch, oscillating etc, you know what I mean. I guess it’s that one that spins the light wheel. So that’s a light tunnel, AC converter, motor and I think I am almost due for a new globe.

So I will have to arrange for that to be repaired. Due to this sets reliability I went and bought a 42” Plasma LG42PX5D. Yeh I know another LG. Got it for $4400 with a 5 year warranty, extended warranties are almost compulsory with LG products.

I am with you Bubbear enough was enough, now I have to find somewhere to store this set after it get fixed.

You think you would have learnt after 1 lg and know you gat another you should have got a HD pana viera for that price.

Its actually 3 LG's now.

Does the Pana come with 5 year warranty and an inbuilt HD tuner?

If not dont forget to add them to the price.

Thats with adding all that on you can get them for 3850 if you can haggel well so 300 for extended warenty and 400 for HD STB I know it's a little bit extra but it's a lot better plasma.

I just got a quote for a globe from a service center..

AUD$267.87 inc GST

How old was your tv?

My lamp has just blown and it has only done about 3000 hours.

Not happy with the price of the lamp at $500, where did you get the price of $267.87 from?

I won't be recomending this tv to ANYONE if this crappy lamp life is normal!!!

• 2 weeks later...

LG state the lamp life is 8,000 hours. Not sure if anyone has come close to that.

I am currently at 2,100 hrs.

LG also told me that I would void the warranty if I replaced the lamp myself.

Has anyone got more than 8,000 hrs out of their lamp?

How old was your tv?

My lamp has just blown and it has only done about 3000 hours.

Not happy with the price of the lamp at $500, where did you get the price of $267.87 from?

I won't be recomending this tv to ANYONE if this crappy lamp life is normal!!!

• 2 weeks later...
LG state the lamp life is 8,000 hours. Not sure if anyone has come close to that.

I am currently at 2,100 hrs.

LG also told me that I would void the warranty if I replaced the lamp myself.

Has anyone got more than 8,000 hrs out of their lamp?

I have finaly got my TV fixed, the globe was $280

He checked my lamp counter and it had done 5600 hrs.

Nowhere near the 8000 as stated on the LG web site.

OH well at least my TV is up and going again and at least the globe wasn't $600 :blink:

Would appreciate details about the globe - brand and number, and where you got it.

I cant remember the part number of the globe ( I will let you know later when I find the boxit came in ) but it is an Osram globe

Here are the details of where I got it from

TVM ELECTRONIC SERVICES

U3/60-66 Richmond rd , KESWICK, SA, 5035

TEL. 08 8371 1036, FAX. 08 8371 1091

ttvmelec@bigpond.net.au

I hope this helps.

TV almost 2 years old now, has been in the repair shop for the past 2 1/2 weeks because the set decided that it would just turn itself off every now and then and would take ages before we could get it back on again. Once, it came on and the power light stayed orange and the set wouldn't respond to the remote at all, sometimes it would come on with no power light at all???

They weren't sure what was wrong so they had to take it away, after a week they said it was the tuner board and were waiting for warranty company response to repair. After almost 2 weeks I got in touch with Rick Hart's service dept and spoke to the wonderful woman who helped us almost 2 years ago and she contacted LG. LG requested reports from service people and have decided to replace the TV with the new 52" DLP. Would prefer a plasma but don't like my chances of getting a decent one as a replacement.

I wonder if I'm about to experience all the same problems with the new set...

I would love to go and dump this set on the steps of the LG building.

• 2 weeks later...

My set was returned for a noisy motor/fan/something.

It took a month! and when I got it back I check the docket and they replaced the ballast! WTF, oh well maybe that was faulty as well.

As I now bought a replacement for this dud I didn't test it for a few days, you guessed it , still a noisy motor/fan/something. Ok back for the forth time now.

• 2 weeks later...

How's the new TV?

TV almost 2 years old now, has been in the repair shop for the past 2 1/2 weeks because the set decided that it would just turn itself off every now and then and would take ages before we could get it back on again. Once, it came on and the power light stayed orange and the set wouldn't respond to the remote at all, sometimes it would come on with no power light at all???

They weren't sure what was wrong so they had to take it away, after a week they said it was the tuner board and were waiting for warranty company response to repair. After almost 2 weeks I got in touch with Rick Hart's service dept and spoke to the wonderful woman who helped us almost 2 years ago and she contacted LG. LG requested reports from service people and have decided to replace the TV with the new 52" DLP. Would prefer a plasma but don't like my chances of getting a decent one as a replacement.

I wonder if I'm about to experience all the same problems with the new set...

I would love to go and dump this set on the steps of the LG building.

Hi all, Well after having drama's with my LG 111cm DLP i thought i would check the web to see if there was any repair information on them.

Well i was in for a shock, how may LG DLP owners have problems- all by the look's of things.

I' ve had my set for nearly two years now, late last year it went to a repairer as it developed a dark line down the left hand side of the screen. The repair man told me i needed to replace the globe with a cost of $700, i decided not to do this and got the tv back with no cost ( under warranty ) The dark line had gone but the picture was dull.

Around the middle of this year the screen has delvloped a large dark line, about 15cm wide going from the top left hand corner to the bottom right hand corner.

The picture is still viewable ( only just ) Is this a globe issue???

Can i fix this problem myself??? ie buy a globe and replace it. Or is it another component??

I would love some direction here, as after shelling out $5500 of my hard earned cash, i dont really want to spend more money on this TV.

Any help would be greatly recieved. Thanks.

-Dave

If its under warranty, give LG hell.

If it isnt, do the same.

Have i got a leg to stand on??? I mean the warranty ended 12 months ago, about the same time the set developed drama's. How many, if any 111cm DLP owners have been successful with LG helping or replacing parts for free??

-dave

The fact that its already been fixed once should be enough of a reason.

My 60" was out of warranty aswell, but they came to the party.

Give it a shot, havent got much to lose.

Just emphasise the, "Its already been fixed once' line.

it went to a repairer as it developed a dark line down the left hand side of the screen. The repair man told me i needed to replace the globe with a cost of $700, i decided not to do this and got the tv back with no cost ( under warranty ) The dark line had gone but the picture was dull.

Sound like a collapsed light tunnel, common fault, a new globe is a waste of money.

Be carefull of some repairers, every time there is a problem the first thing they say is new globe.

Note: in the last 7 weeks my set has had two vistits to the repair shop, it has been there 6 weeks in total and I still haven't got it back.

Oh and always buy an extended warranty with new technology.

Sound like a collapsed light tunnel, common fault, a new globe is a waste of money.

Be carefull of some repairers, every time there is a problem the first thing they say is new globe.

Note: in the last 7 weeks my set has had two vistits to the repair shop, it has been there 6 weeks in total and I still haven't got it back.

Oh and always buy an extended warranty with new technology.

If it is the light tunnel, is it easy to fix?- can i try and fix the problem myself or is a replacement light tunnel the go? has anyone fixed their light tunnel themselves??

-Dave.

Just keep on them, they're the only ones that can fix it for nothing.

Spoke to LG again, they just gave me the phone numbers for their service centre's.

Anyone know how much it's cost to fix the light tunnel on these units??

-Dave.

• 3 weeks later...
Spoke to LG again, they just gave me the phone numbers for their service centre's.

Anyone know how much it's cost to fix the light tunnel on these units??

-Dave.

Hi Dave, just saw this thread. I had the same problem as you - dark line down one side of the TV - last year. It was under warranty, I got 5 years when I bought it, so it didn't cost me anything to fix. Grand Electronics in Sydney were the repairers. They replaced the optical engine, and according to the guy there, there are only 3 components to these TVs - optical engine, screen and power supply. So I'm guessing light tunnel = optical engine. Anyway, I asked at the time how much it would have cost me if I'd been out of warranty and the answer was around $800 plus labour of 5-6 hours.

HTH

-blues95

• 2 months later...

Hi All....Surely with these known problems. plus the bulb in most cases failing to meet the manufacturers specification that the consumer have some rights.....lemon laws comes to mind....Class action maybe.... After reading a few forums regarding this TV...LG DLP 111cm..has obvious faults that the Manufacturer should acknowledge and make right. If it were a car with a systemic problem it would be recalled!!...

regards

Paul

Ps...my LG is in the repair shop.........Fault?????....yep you guessed it....Won't turn on...artifacts on the screen....it's just crazy that the comsumer has to tolerate this.

My one has not been as 'optimal' in performance either with less that ideal treatment from LG either. Oh well, just means I stop buying their products and evryone I know that looks at LG TVs I just explain (without bias) what happened to me. Shame as at they time they seemed like value for money.

... Feel like a chode after buying my LG 53" HD DLP RP 2 weeks ago. So far so good but I'll wait and see. I paid $1800. I figure if I get a few years out of it I be happy. By then all Plasma/LCD would be cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

My set is about 2 years old now. During this time it had developed a white dot at top of screen (micro mirror stuck on). LG replaced DLP chip & Light Tunnel. Then later developed a dark strip down one side. LG then again replaced Light Tunnel. I have a 5 year warranty so all replaced at no additional cost.

Hi Dave, just saw this thread. I had the same problem as you - dark line down one side of the TV - last year. It was under warranty, I got 5 years when I bought it, so it didn't cost me anything to fix. Grand Electronics in Sydney were the repairers. They replaced the optical engine, and according to the guy there, there are only 3 components to these TVs - optical engine, screen and power supply. So I'm guessing light tunnel = optical engine. Anyway, I asked at the time how much it would have cost me if I'd been out of warranty and the answer was around $800 plus labour of 5-6 hours.

HTH

-blues95

My DLP is 2 1/2 years old, have been experiencing starting problems on and off for about 10 months. Humidity seems to have some bearing on this problem as it has been mostly ok during humid summer months and now, with cooler drier weather, non-starting is chronic.

Talked to several LG repairers about cost of fixing. Most don't seem to know how to repair these units, but the two who seemed in the know advised optical engine replacement - $3000+

With no extended warranty, no way will I be spending $3000+ on this piece of crap. Will replace with Pana HD 42 plasma for that price - and the LG can go to the dump.

LG = Largely Garbage :blink:

• 3 weeks later...
For those getting similar low hours out of their globe with the same symptoms, worth giving this a go before forking out the $600+, just in case it fixes it. Not sure how much more life I'll get out of it, but will report back if it re-occurrs...
Reporting back....

It lasted about 4 more months before finally going kaput. I've had to replace the lamp & light tunnel ($600 for lamp $200 for light tunnel). It's till in the shop after 3 months as I haven't been able to afford to pick it up yet :blink:

Next breakdown after this, the sledgehammer will come out ... and a plasma will take its place (non-LG!!!!).

In about July my unit will be two years old.

3 break downs so far (all under warranty). But I didn't buy the extended warranty (what a fool I was thinking that if it works in the first yr it should go on 'forever' like the Sony 68cm it replaced).

Now the fan is starting to make a noise that it didn't use to. When the volume is up you can't really hear it ... but I knwo it's there which bothers me. LG ... Lucky Goldstar

Now the fan is starting to make a noise that it didn't use to. When the volume is up you can't really hear it ... but I knwo it's there which bothers me. LG ... Lucky Goldstar

Yeh I had to get the fan replaced as well, it isn't the two that can be seen from the back, it took the tech 2 goes to fix it over 6 weeks.