Sign in to follow this  
digitaladvisor

The LG 111cm DLP RPTV

Its appalling that any company will offer service like this to their customers, im surprised you havent looked at sending this set far into LG's CSM's darkest orifice, best of luck, i hope you have no more problems!

Steve

Hi there Bubbear,

I know this would cost you money, but one way is to ring Bing Lee Department Store and tell them that you will be sending the TV back by courier and you will either expect a credit note or a full refund.

I know for a fact that stores can give you a credit note because that way they still have a sale. Between Bing Lee and LG thats there problem what they do with the RPTV, not yours.

I feel that they are giving you the run around and pointing to the other guy to fix up your problem.

I wouldn't except another LG LCD RPTV becasue of the stuff around that you have had with them.

I hope you get what you want.

Regards,

Mrtv

Hello all,

I was about to purchase the LG DLp but after all the hassle Bubbear is having I am not sure now whether to go with plasma instead. I live in Cairns and checked out the LG DLP at a store the other day and it looked great.

As I was about to sign over my money a closer inspection showed a little speck on the screen. The sales person and me had a look close up and it was a burnt out pixel.

Most people watching it might not notice but once you know it's there the little dot seems to get bigger and the salesman agreed it would annoy the Sh**T out of you.

He then said he was putting it in a box and sending it back to LG.

Is there anybody out there that are happy with their LG DLP sets.

What to do?? :blink:

Regards

Phillip

Hi Phillip,

Look I think the LG is an OK set - I don't think you can beat the specs for the price - just be prepared for difficulties if you have to deal with LG support. Note there are horror stories with other manufacturers too - I don't believe this is exclusively an LG problem.......

Just make sure the retailer you buy from will offer the support you need. Ask about their returns and failure policy and what time period you have to be able to get the retailer to swap it without prior manufacturer approval. Get an extended warranty.....

With regard to burnt pixels (or malfunctioning mirrors in this case) it can happen with any of these fixed resolution displays - plasma included. Ask for the manufacturers policy on this. LG referred me to Texas Instruments specs which are quite complicated - depends on where it is on the screen, how many adjacent and the degree of stuckness (is that a word?).

In the end you rae the only one who can make the decision. LG have apparently sold heaps of these sets. Maybe I am just incredibly unlucky. The sales manager at Bing Lee seems to think so..........

Bubbear

Surprise call this morning from Bing Lee - they have just delivered the third set.

There are no screen patches on this set so here's hoping this one will see the end of the saga.

By the way, the delivery guy told me he just delivered the FIFTH replacement set for a Philips 86cm widescreen! I hope Philips were more responsive than LG or that guys warranty will be almost finished......

Bubbear

I must say Bubbear, you have been through a hell of a lot just for a TV!!

Bad news for LG though, word of mouth spreads quicker than most think, especially when you post it on a public forum! Your experience has totally put me of LG!! Best of luck with the new set!! :blink:

My personal experience with LG products has been they are cheap, and by that i mean, yes the price is usually cheap but the "build" and sometime "output" is cheap.

I have a LG DVD player that has been a shelf for my Xbox for a year or so now :blink:. I have LG A/C units which work fine, but they are cheap.

I have seen a few LG CRT sets and the Geometry has been some of the worse i've seen (massive bends of lines across screen).

As for DLP concern about stuck mirrors, i can't comment on LG's ability to avoid this but the technology has been in front pros for sometime and certainly seems more reliable than LCD, ie it is very rare to hear of a stuck mirror but pixel outs are more common.

As for colour wheel speed, someone mentioned 9000rpm, if this is at 50hz pal (they change speed for NTSC/PAL/refresh) then i'd say perhaps its a 3x colour wheel as my X1 is a 2x and runs 6000rpm at 50hz. I don't think this is too much of a concern, ppl say it reduces rainbows, however in viewing 9'sHD demo on the Infocus 7200 which is 4 or 6x i saw a few that i had NEVER seen on the infocus x1 at 2x hmm.

D

I must say Bubbear, you have been through a hell of a lot just for a TV!!

Bad news for LG though, word of mouth spreads quicker than most think, especially when you post it on a public forum!  Your experience has totally put me of LG!!  Best of luck with the new set!! :blink:

Same here captainatomic I will never buy an LG product after reading of all the stuff Bubbear has been through.

Have you found the Green dark gray yet? Look at any dark shadow or a black American face & you'll see it's not dark gray or dark brown but green gray or green brown.

I have a service tech who can do a color calibration to fix this but LG refuse to give out any codes to access the LG service menu. Meanwhile many users of this DLP TV are being screwed. LG couldn't give a toss!

I have seen a few LG CRT sets and the Geometry has been some of the worse i've seen (massive bends of lines across screen).

Funny you should say that Spoonfed.. I have an LG CRT 68cm, and recently I've noticed the screen geometry is buggered.. The glass is not uniformly convex and has various vertical runs through the screen which distort the image.

On top of that, I've noticed that I often see lines through some colours.. Especially when watching AFL.. I think it might be red on green causes these diagonal lines... I'll have to pay more attention to how/why/when it happens.

Hmm.. I've had my eye on the LG 60" LCD RPTV for quite some time, but I don't think I'm too keen on LG anymore.. This thread is also showing some pretty poor form from retailers and LG alike.. I think I might go for the Samsung 61" LCD RPTV, or just wait for the Toshiba LCOS displays to arrive and come down in price (or at least push prices down on everything else).

I don't think I'll be buying that LG fridge I was planning to get either..

-Auldar

"LG" should have been 'GL' ....... for "GOOD LUCK. "

"LG" should have been 'GL' ....... for "GOOD LUCK. "

Hehehe.......LOL

I like that one

Hi everyone,

I wish I had discovered this forum earlier, BEFORE I purchased the LG DLP set as it may have changed my mind!

Picked up the TV on 31/12/03 and we were all in awe of the fantastic picture and were very happy. 13 days later a nice white dot appears in the right bottom corner of the screen NOT HAPPY! The next day I ring Rick Hart Hi-Fi to let them know and they arrange with the warranty company to send someone out to inspect the set. The tech comes out and says he thinks its a speck of dust not a dead pixel (???????) I'm wondering how dust gets into the DMD when it is supposed to be hermetically sealed after manufacture!

Next day they ring back to tell me that with regards to the "dead pixel" they cannot do anything, I ask for the number of LG. I ring LG in Perth to speak to the state manager but he is over east. I ring the national service department where a guy tells me that the sets can have up to 7 dead pixels before they have to be replaced, I cannot believe what I am hearing and feel sick at spending $6K on a set with a defect after 13 days, am I going to have to stare at a screen with 6 dead pixels one day hoping for a seventh??? I call consumer affairs who advice me to write a complaint to Rick Hart. An hour later the salesman at Rick Hart calls me to find out what happened and I tell him the story, he says he will speak to his manager. Rick Hart service dept contacts LG.

The day after I receive a reply email from Texas Instruments, which summed up in a few words says 'this is almost unheard of'. I call LG and speak to the same person that Rick Hart spoke to and tell her this, she aggrees that it is unheard of and they will replace the set in 5-7 days through the warranty company.

I sympathise with you Bubbear, at least my set is watchable until it is replaced (the dot is relatively small but we cant take our eyes of it!). Now I live in hope that the replacement set will be OK and in a few years time I will still see the brilliant picture that its supposed to have for many years. Before we brought the set I researched the technology and thought it was better and more reliable than plasma and LCD. If something happens to the new set I want a refund and I'll have to get a big, heavy CRT.

Disappointed consumer :blink:

Emma,

May i suggest the Pana TX47P800H Rear projector instead of a CRT 119cm, and amazing PQ If you do have to get a refund, here's hoping everything is sweet with your new set however.

Good Luck

Steve

Emma,

May i suggest the Pana TX47P800H Rear projector instead of a CRT 119cm, and amazing PQ If you do have to get a refund, here's hoping everything is sweet with your new set however.

Good Luck

Steve

I will second that !

Emma,

Good Luck

Steve

Thanx I'll keep that set in mind but hopefully I wont need too!

Surprise call this morning from Bing Lee - they have just delivered the third set.

There are no screen patches on this set so here's hoping this one will see the end of the saga.

Any updates on the third set?

I had a chance to the LG DLP and similarly-sized Samsung LCD side by side at Harvey Norman yesterday, and I still reckon the LG is still a nicer picture...

Gil

Emma,

Good Luck

Steve

Yep! I agree! Lovely set!

The new Sony Rear Pro (the good old fashioned CRT type) has just come out and it looks very sweet (as good as the LG DLP I think) and it has a reflective screen like the LG (if thats your thing).

Do people remember in the old days, a little budget brand called Goldstar? Well they became LG, and their quality did improve a bit, but still not comparable to the big brands (panasonic, sony, samsung etc).

All this saga saddens me.

No more Life's Good for meeeeee.

Hope your problems get solved BugBear.

I bought one of the LG 44" DLP TVs last month. The set lasted 3 days before it refused to start from standby, switching the set off at the power point did nothing. I received a replacement set after a week and now that set has a fault that hasn't been reported in this forum. When the set is switched on first thing in the morning the lamp overheating light comes on and shuts the TV off. The light flashes for 20 seconds, goes off then I can switch the set back on. We watch the TV for about 30 minutes then off to work. When we switch the set back on at night the overheating light comes back on, this time it lasts longer than 20 seconds, I timed it at 15 minutes on Sunday! Then the TV works OK. The set is switched off using the remote as per instruction book. The TV repair man is coming out tommorrow to have a look, but this morning the TV worked perfectly with no problems!!

When I rang the LG help line the person I spoke to commented that the TV has a great picture "when it works". That was a bit worrying.

I wish I'd seen this forum before handing over the money!

Its been 21 days since LG told me they would replace my DLP "in 5-7 days".

When I rang LG 5 days ago to find out when I would get my replacement TV the person I spoke to before was away and the new person told me they wouldnt be replacing the set :blink: (You'd think an electronics company would have a computer somewhere where they can input important information about their customers but its probably an LG notebook that has broken down).

Rick Hart informed the state manager of the situation so hopefully he can get some action. I am glad that Rick Hart are on my side.

Just got a call from Rick hart, I should have my new TV within days, BUT they have offered me the choice of a different TV because of the problems with the DLP sets.

Not sure what to do!

I can't get a CRT or RPTV because we paid $600+ for a new unit that will not hold the weight of a CRT and I'd need to buy another stand to hold the components if I brought a RPTV, so I guess its a plasma... my guess is I wont get a very big plasma for $6000 and I dont really want to spend more bucks.

Should I take my chances on the new DLP????? HELP! :blink: