Sign in to follow this  
digitaladvisor

The LG 111cm DLP RPTV

For that type of investment you dont want any trouble let alone the crap you have gone through. :blink:

Hi Bubbear

The "meat" LG makes on these sets is a killing. By the time they get to the retail floor they are double the price of what they really are.

They are costed to market accordingly. You would think you would get better service then that.

The power supply does sound like the culprit as well. The colour wheel must run at very precise timings to keep the projected prestine.

I hope we here a good ending to this saga. :blink:

Regards

DA

Hi Bubbear

The "meat" LG makes on these sets is a killing. By the time they get to the retail floor they are double the price of what they really are.

They are costed to market accordingly. You would think you would get better service then that.

The power supply does sound like the culprit as well. The colour wheel must run at very precise timings to keep the projected prestine.

I hope we here a good ending to this saga.  :blink:

Regards

DA

I have no idea what the actual markup on these sets are but I am sure as you suggest they are making quite a bit of profit on them. LG service basically sucks.

I called the LG service manager - Kyle Black - today on three occaisions was put through to his voice mail. Left message at noon for him to call me back but as yet he has not done so.

I called Gladesville Electronics (the LG authorised repairer) this afternoon to ask whether the 7 to 10 days LG stated as being the approval time for replacement was normal. They said it was and there wasn't anything they could do about it. In addition they told me after approval it another 3 or 4 days before they get the replacement from the LG warehouse. That means it will be another two weeks at least before I get the replacement. That is 3 1/2 plus weeks from when the set malfunctioned to when I might get a functioning TV.

Not good enough at all. There may be a boxed brand new set up for sale in two weeks time.

Bubbear

I have been following your saga over the past week and I have to say that I am appalled at the way you have been treated.

Since you have had a far less than satisfactory response from LG Aust. I suggest you gather your evidence and make a complaint to LG Korea.

From what I know, the Koreans are much more concerned with customer satisfaction that the guys here are.

Go to LG Korea

They may put some pressure on the guys here.

At the very least we'll all get to know what kind of company LG really is.

Good Luck :blink:

P.S. I purchased this T.V a week ago, which is why this is hitting close to home.

I thank you all for your support in this matter. Rest assured I will be making a written complaint to LG Australia and Korea and to Bing Lee.

I managed to get on to the service manager at LG today and while he was very polite he did not address any of my concerns. He told me the replacement set should be here early next week. I told him I wasn't impressed with the slow response from Gladesville Electronics - his answer was they don't just service LG but other brands and are very busy. I complained about Bing Lee's lack of support and how that affects peoples attitudes to LG - didn't want to know as that was a Sales Matter. On questioning why it takes so long to get a replacement set - we are not a retailer and don't have the same resources as retailers. I don't know why they don't do the swaps through the retail network if they don't have the resources. I don't believe my conversation with him had any effect.

Accordingly here is my point plan for any one else in the same situation.

*In all cases try and get your retailer to deal with the problem before going to LG.

*After the authorised repairer has been, make sure you phone them the next day to make sure they have submitted paperwork to LG. Nothing is logged with LG until they receive this from the repairer.

*it takes 7 to 10 days from when LG get the paperwork before you will get a replacement set. Again make sure the paperwork has gone.

*if you have any problems call the LG service number and don't push any buttons in the menu. Speak to the operator and ask for Kyle Black (service manager). If you get one of the drones they won't put you through and Kyle is the person who authorises the swap.

Hopefully the new set will be trouble free - if not I will be demanding a refund.

Bubbear

Hey all..

I am looking into one of these TV's. Apart from the bad service that has been noted here, how have people found this TV?

Thanks all

Sean

OK, for those that may have been following this saga, I still don't have a working TV. Today I called LG, as requested, to check on the status of the replacement. I was told it was in the system, had been approved and the repairer MIGHT have it by the end of this week...........I said not good enough - who can I talk to about a refund - reply was no one. LG would not consider a refund at all. In any case it would take another three weeks to get that through the system and I would have the replacement by then.....

I really have had enough of the crap service provided by LG so I called the main line and asked to speak to a manager above anyone in the service dept and was put through to a Bill Peters voice mail. I thought here we go again and did not expect a call back.

I then phoned Bing Lee AGAIN and spoke to the brown goods manager who was horrified at the treatment given by LG and Bing Lees' own salesman. He called the National Sales Manager at LG who was also not impressed - I was told I will have the replacement set within two days. I asked about a refund or exchange on the new boxed set that will be delivered but Bing Lee were not too keen on this. I don't really want to do it either as no other set comes close to the features for the price. (I hate big ugly boxes so *normal* RP is out of the question so I would have to consider plasma - a much more expensive option). The manager said they have sold truck loads of these sets and this is the first problem he has heard of - just my luck - although the tech has seen the exact same problem before.......

Then I received a call from Bill Peters. I finally received some customer service. He had already investigated (between me leaving a message and the call back) and marked my case in the system from open to finalised. This means the set should get to the repairer tomorrow.

Good I thought. Then *I* phoned the repairer to tell them the set should come tomorrow - when can I expect deilivery? Maybe wed, thur or friday depending on when it would fit in with their driver........I explained that LG had promised the set within two days and I expected it too. No change - I may not get it til friday.

I have called Bing Lee, yet again, to see if they can put some pressure through LG to the repairer to ensure I get the set on Wed. This has been an absolute nightmare - I have wasted a day for the tech to come, hours on hold on the phone, hours sitting here trying to turn the set on......

Will keep you all informed.

Bubbear.

Bubbear,

After reading the despair you've had with LG and their product,

They ( LG) have lost me as a customer and a consumer of any of their products and would never recommend anything with their label to anyone.

I dare say I may speak for a lot of people (the silent majority) who may read of your experience with them as a customer.

Service and Customer Satisfaction speaks louder than any amount of advertising they may try to induce us with.

They may be forgiven for a faulty product but never for bad Service and indifferance.

In future, I will consider their products as " JUNK. "

Stay in there.

Further update - I just called the repairer and they have received the new set this morning. I asked them for delivery time and they said sometime in the next three days. I explained that I would have to take the day off and would need to know when - the reply was they would call on the morning of delivery.............

I just can't believe the crap being dished up as support. The whole thing is a f***ing joke. I am really at my wits end over this.

After ranting (by me) they MAY be able to deliver on thursday and will be calling this afternoon otherwise it won't be till friday. So much for the new set in two days......

Have called Mr Peters at LG again and left message.

DON'T BUY LG..........

Bubbear.

Further update - I just called the repairer and they have received the new set this morning. I asked them for delivery time and they said sometime in the next three days. I explained that I would have to take the day off and would need to know when - the reply was they would call on the morning of delivery.............

DON'T BUY LG..........

Bubbear.

Given that most people are probably happy with their LG sets, purhaps you could name the repairer and the store you purchased it from.

Then people would have the option of avoiding them, but still buying what must be the best size screen and resolution available for the price.

DON'T BUY LG..........

Bubbear.

Given that most people are probably happy with their LG sets, purhaps you could name the repairer and the store you purchased it from.

Then people would have the option of avoiding them, but still buying what must be the best size screen and resolution available for the price.

You usually have no option with the repairer. LG have authorised repairs for an area and usually only one.

Surprise, surprise no phone call back from the repairer and no phone call from Mr Peters at LG.........

Just called the repairer and they say Friday. Brett who was supposed to call yesterday is not in today. Called Ben at Bing Lee (who was working all this week) - not in today. Can't tell me morning or afternoon for delivery. So for all the claims of having the set in two days from last Monday and several people "seeing what they could do" the replacement will arrive in the time frame that LG originally stated. 3 weeks from when the set first malfunctioned and LG were called.

I give up - you just can't beat large corporations. You part with, what is to me, a substantial amount of money and get APPALING service and support.

Writing abusive complaint letters now.........

Bubbear

I do hope that you include the link to this thread in your letter, make them see how public their pathetic efforts are.

Cheers

Cyril

I do hope that you include the link to this thread in your letter, make them see how public their pathetic efforts are.

Cheers

Cyril

I am going to print the whole thing out and attach it. Might send to the press too but I doubt they will print any of it....

Bubbear

It is quite unsettling to see expensive advertising on Tv concerning these sets now (QLD). This is all the while we have a person here without a set for three weeks now after malfunctioning!

Regards

DA

Well all, the new TV is supposed to arrive this afternoon between 2 and 4pm. It is now 3.25pm and no call to say I am 20 mins away......

I have done my complaint letters to LGE Australia and to Korea and one to Bing Lee. I doubt that I will get a reply to any of them but we will see. I'll keep you all informed.

Bubbear

The new set arrived at 4.00 pm just as I was about to call and hurl more abuse. Don't you just love waiting a whole day for technicians? Has anyone ever been first on the list? I always seem to be the last one to be seen..........

I wanted to keep the box the new set came in but they said they needed it to return the old set to LG.

I sure hope this one doesn't malfunction.

Bubbear

OK folks are you ready for this? The new set has a dark patch about the width of a fence paling running from the bottom left corner at 60 degrees to the top. Not noticeable on bright screens but very noticeable and annoying on dark scenes, especially night scenes.......I noticed it as soon as I turned the set on. Thought I could live with it and didn't wan't any more hassles but after two days it is really annoying.

Have already sent complaint letters without this new problem being mentioned.

Have called LG and Bing Lee. I am not prepared to spend any more time with this TV. Will see what they say about refund or if they will exchange this week I MIGHT accept that. I certainly won't wait another three weeks.

Bubbear.

Kyle Black - csm from LG - has just returned my call. Made a point of telling me straight off that he had just returned from a management meeting where he had been "hauled over the coals" because of my complaint letter. I basically didn't touch that one as I didn't want to get into an argument............

I outlined the problem I have with the new set and asked where do we go from here. His response was for me to contact Gladesville Electronics (GE) and get a tech out to see if the set can be repaired........

I said no, I wasn't going to spend any more time sitting around waiting for techs to come and asked if it was possible for LG to contact GE and organise a specific time. No this was not possible. Industry standard is to only be given a day not a time for the tech the come. It was then suggested that the set could be replaced without a tech examining the TV but again it would be 2 weeks before that happened. Why this was not offered in the first instance I don't know. I was reminded again that LG are not a retailer and don't have the resources......

Kyle suggested *I* contact the retailer to see if they would agree to do the swap from their stock as this would be quicker solution. I asked if LG would authorise that and he affirmed they would.

I have since contacted Bing Lee and they will be doing the swap next Monday (no stock til Friday).

So guys and gals, even after making what appears to be accepted as a valid complaint, LG are not doing anything out of the ordinary to resolve these problems. Kyle has not taken this case on board and giving it the priority needed. His claim that it would be 2 weeks before a new set could be delivered through GE is laughable. I KNOW that Bill Peters (LG) was able to get a set to GE the next day - marked as picked for the warehouse and delivered the following day.

Kyle did not offer to phone Bing Lee and organise it - I had to do it. It will be interesting to see what sort of written response I get from LG Australia on this issue. I know that there will be a further letter from me regarding the lack of service I am still receiving from their customer service manager.

Bubbear

Bubbear,

We're all waiting for your next installment (post).

You have a following out here.....So...

If all else fails, Channel 9 's ' A CURRENT AFFAIR ' or Channel 7's ' TODAY TONIGHT ' might like a shot at them, seeing LG advocate .... " Life's Good " to us repeatedly in their advertising.

Public embarressment is usually the only way that heads will roll and satisfaction is guaranteed or your money back.

No news to update at this stage. The third set is due to be delivered on Monday. I haven't received an official response re the complaint from anyone as yet but rest assured I will let you all know of any developments.

This is their last chance. Any problems at all with this set will see me getting a refund.

Bubbear