Sign in to follow this  
digitaladvisor

The LG 111cm DLP RPTV

Anyone here purchased the widescreen DLP RPTV LG 111cm.

It is a true HD ready display after extensive testing in store with a progressive DVD player and HD STB.

Picture was simply stunning. Contrast levels as good as it gets.

It appears to have only HD Component in. I had hoped for more connectors on the back.

I got a price of $5,300 on this model.

Regards

DA

had a look at one a while back - looked great

even though I think it only has a native resolution of 576 lines

(I could be wrong...)

Nevertheless - Picture Quality was A1

I got one :P We love it. Nothing beats it at this price level for it's size.

Someone tell me otherwise. :blink:

Looked at one in hn a few months back, they wanted $6k. Looked great, did'nt notice any of the possible dlp problems discussed in earlier threads.

Would be interesting to see how it compares with the new 119cm pana TX-47P800H discussed under the current "127cm pana model" thread.

The LG DLP is a "stand-top" set. Sort of like a normal TV, but much shallower in depth. This means it will fit into places where a normal TV or "big ugly box" rear projection TV won't.

The Panasonic you referred to looks like a bog standard "big ugly RP box" arrangement.

Pity- in the USA I saw a Panasonic RP DLP set and was amazed at the quality. If they don't want to make them available here, that's their decision... I know that I'd be going for the LG out of the 2 of them (pity the LG has no digital input though!).

Cheers,

Indulis

Had mine for approx 3 months now, really happy so far.

MY DLP

Do you see any rainbow effects whilst viewing your LG DLP RPTV? What is the lamp life of the set?

So does DLP suffer from stuck on/off pixels like lcd!

cheers laurie

I have one - got it four weeks ago. It has two HD ready component inputs plus 3 AV inputs (2 being S-video with 1 of these on the front). The DMD chip is 1024 by 576 so it will will natively display 576p and downconvert higher HD formats. Picture from Sony progressive DVD is stunning. Don't have HD STB box yet as I think prices are outrageous :blink:

Mine has developed a problem in the past week where it will not turn on from standby - and this is the only way the set turns on. Status light flashes orange for 30 secs then shuts down. It has an auto protect system where it is supposed to shut down if enviromental conditions are not OK - I am guessing this is malfunctioning. First time thought it was a glitch. Second time on Friday afternoon. Again yesterday and now this morning.

I will have to call LG tomorrow.............can't seem to buy anything these days that doesn't break down..........

I'm very close to buying the LG DLP, I've been waiting long enough, considered every type, plasma, CRT, etc. This unit seems to have everything and no problems with burn-in, bulb life, brightness life, etc.

I would like to have read some reviews, only found one from U.K. (which may not have been the same we get here).

Samsung DLP (not available here) gets good reviews in the USA.

So I want to buy the LG and a Toshiba HD STB - does anyone know where to purchase both together in Brisbane? $5300 (TV only) was quoted over phone from BiRite, who indicated that they could do better in person.

I have one - got it four weeks ago. It has two HD ready component inputs plus 3 AV inputs (2 being S-video with 1 of these on the front). The DMD chip is 1024 by 576 so it will will natively display 576p and downconvert higher HD formats. Picture from Sony progressive DVD is stunning. Don't have HD STB box yet as I think prices are outrageous :blink:

Mine has developed a problem in the past week where it will not turn on from standby - and this is the only way the set turns on. Status light flashes orange for 30 secs then shuts down. It has an auto protect system where it is supposed to shut down if enviromental conditions are not OK - I am guessing this is malfunctioning. First time thought it was a glitch. Second time on Friday afternoon. Again yesterday and now this morning.

I will have to call LG tomorrow.............can't seem to buy anything these days that doesn't break down..........

Well keep us posted if it has been fixed.

Mine has done it once a few days ago, got sound but no picture, turned it off then on again and OK.

I have to say as I have had an LG CTR TV that was fixed twice in three years (a month apart) I am not too confident on there quality.

OK - the news is not good. The tech came yesterday and without even opening the case knew what the problem was. He has seen the same thing several times. It would either be the globe or the "ballast" in the DC power supply. He examined the globe which was clear and not milky and all connections OK so he is saying it is the power supply. I got the impression that this maybe a common fault with these sets though what percentage are affected I don't know.

The good and bad of this is there are NO PARTS (bad) here or in Korea for this TV. Accordingly the set will have to be replaced (good). Bing Lee are telling me that because the fault is not within the first 7 days the replacement should come from LG - my breif call to LG yesterday indicated the replacement would come from Bing Lee.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be a drama. For what these TVs are, they are charging like wounded bulls. Admittedly I paid that amount but some level of service for such a high ticket item would be expected........

I am expecting a phone call from LG today - they had to wait for the tech's report to arrive last night via email. If the replacement does the same I will be demanding a refund...........

Had an LG Flatron 68cm before this for four years with not one ounce of trouble.......

:blink:

Bubbear

i realise knowone seems to have reported rainbor artifacts, but still i'd be interested to know, does anyone know what speed the colour wheel runs at? ie. 2 speed, 4 speed etc??

Hi all,

I noticed that the lack of DVI port on the LG is listed as one of its short falls. Apart from not being able to attach it to a PC directly what sort of quaility difference would a DVI input make compared to componant input.

Thanks

Stephen

OK - further update. I have NOT received the call from LG as promised. The set will not turn on at all. Have tried for 2 hours now. Waiting 4 mins between tries (as suggested by LG tech) disconnecting power completely for 10 minutes. Nothing - nada - set just goes back into standby.

Am going to try to get my money back tomorrow and return the set. I believe there is a design or build flaw in these TVs. While the technology is great, LG manufacturing leaves a lot to be desired......

:blink::P

Bubbear

OK - further update. I have NOT received the call from LG as promised. The set will not turn on at all. Have tried for 2 hours now. Waiting 4 mins between tries (as suggested by LG tech) disconnecting power completely for 10 minutes. Nothing - nada - set just goes back into standby.

Am going to try to get my money back tomorrow and return the set. I believe there is a design or build flaw in these TVs. While the technology is great, LG manufacturing leaves a lot to be desired......

:blink::P

Bubbear

Hi, are they picking up this big mother?, they dont expect it in the orginal packaging?

If there really is a design flaw then there should be a recall. Mine is still working OK in just over 3 months, Just once it wouldn't turn on but did have sound.

i realise knowone seems to have reported rainbor artifacts, but still i'd be interested to know, does anyone know what speed the colour wheel runs at? ie. 2 speed, 4 speed etc??

If you go to

http://au.lgservice.com/

and click Product Support - model specifications - TV - you will find lots of technical information on this set. Model number is RT-44SZ21RB and document is MB02JB. I beleive the colour wheel is 9000 RPM if I read that document correctly. Don't know if that is 2 or 4 times etc.

Bubbear

Stephen,

DVI means that the signal is digital all the way from the pits on the disk through to the DLP panel. As there is no analog stage (like component , or even VGA 15 pin connection), the image quality is absolutely as good as the digital original on the disk with no loss of clarity, ghosting, ringing or graininess that can sometimes be introduced through the cabling.

Of course, DVI is not essential, but it takes you that one step closer to perfection. The downside is that being digital, the control freaks have introduced copy protection in the standalone devices which can limit the quality if the display device doesn't support the data encryption.

Fortunately, I don't this effects the PC connection (only standalone players). A PC offers vastly improved PQ as well as more choice and options when used for DVD and "High Definition" recording and playback.

Of course, DVI is not essential, but it takes you that one step closer to perfection.

And most dvd players will allow upscaled 720p/1080i outputs on this connector

cheers laurie

How does the DLP compare to the same sized LCD rptv?

How does the DLP compare to the same sized LCD rptv?

I suggest you look for yourself, I thought the image quality was a little better. However I am a bit worried that nobody else other that LG has yet release DLP's in Australia yet.

For those that are interested here is a follow up on this saga.

I have just phoned LG again and they have promised to call me back today....

I phoned Bing Lee who are basically washing their hands on the whole matter. It is not their concern - it is an LG warranty matter. On broaching the subject of a refund for this set I was basically told that wasn't going to happen. I suggested Fair Trading might agree that the set was faulty when sold and was politely advised that if I wanted to go to fair trading that was my choice. End of story.

Out of curiosity I phoned Gladesville Electronics - the authorised repairer - and they haven't sent the paper work to LG even though they promised it would go Thursday night. It supposedly is going today. Until LG get that nothing can be done.

Friday night took 2 hours before the set would turn on...........

In addition the set has now developed (when you can get it to turn on) "flaring" of the white/grey shades. Light colours are displaying as white blobs with hard edge lines like an overly compressed jpg picture.

My advice is to avoid this TV like the plague. When and if something goes wrong don't expect any service from LG. Make sure you buy from a reputable seller who will back you up if needs be.

Bubbear :blink:

Make sure you buy from a reputable seller who will back you up if needs be.

Reputable seller!, is there such a thing, I have Harvey Normans 4 year extended warranty.

God I am worried if I have to try to use that!

Further update. Maria (LG) called yesterday afternoon and left message stating she had submitted a replacement request and this would take 7 to 10 days to process....

I called her this morning and queried why it takes so long and all she could say was it has to be signed off by the General Manager. Have called Bing Lee again and the salesman is contacting the sales rep to see if he can hurry it up.

This is totally unacceptable service from a major electronics company. DON"T buy LG products because if they break down they won't give a stuff.

BTW the set is now displays stray off colour pixels - white areas are fringed in pink pixels. Cloud shots have trails of pink pixels through them.