The LG 111cm DLP RPTV

Sorry to resurrect this thread but my piece of junk LG RT44 DLP TV is driving me insane again.

It keeps shutting down after watching it for a while. Sometimes it can goes for days without a problem and suddenly the screen goes black but the sound is still working and then a few seconds later it shuts down. Other times on start-up it will make a squealing sound that goes through different pitches and then it will either settle down and the picture will come on, or it will just go back into standby. I can't afford a new TV and this piece of junk cost me $5000 about 5 years ago so I figure I want to get as much life out of it as possible. It has been playing up for about a year now, but now it's getting worse, heaps worse! The lamp has 4900 hours on it. Help???

Steph

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine has just died after only 4 1/2 years.

It has gone through 3 globes in that time.

3 months ago mine did the same as you are experiencing.

I took it to a repairer and they replaced the ballast board at a cost of $700.

It worked for about 2 weeks then it started turning itself off again.

After the third attempt at repairing this (replacing new ballast board each time) they have finally given up.

They are trying to get me some money back from LG but I am not holding my breath.

I WILL NOT BE RECOMMENDING OR BUYING ANY LG PRODUCTS AGAIN. $5000 for a TV that only lasted under 5 years

Good Luck

Edited by Grunta

So yours makes the squealing sound too?

I've only ever had the one globe as I don't watch that much TV I guess (1000 hours/year, that's like 20hr/week) That is a lot of TV!

I would never touch another LG product as they are obviously criminals selling this type of poor quality stuff. I would never touch anything out of Korea again. I also have a LG PVR that has been trouble as well. LG should be banned from selling goods in Australia.

I'm not sure whether to try and get it fixed or call LG and give them a piece of my mind. For $700 I could buy another TV on eBay. There's no way I am going to throw good money after bad.

Steph's old LG DLP TV... coming to a footpath near you and in need of a new home.

I see these on eBay regularly with these words in the description "Not working, but just needs a new globe" LOL

Steph

Actually, after extensive reading of other owner's woes, I have come to the opinion that LG has run out of replacement boards that the colour-wheel is located on. It seems that is what the squealing sound is as they have an air bearing that I suspect either wears or gets blocked up with dust. So without any of these boards it seems they claim it is the lamp or ballast as that is the only spares they have left. This is just a suspicion, but I have read where they got to the stage that they were just providing replacement sets of another model to solve the problem. I'm going to call them tomorrow and sound them out. There should have been a mass recall on these sets. The people at LG are obviously low-life theives that have no honour when it comes to ripping off Australians. I hate Korean products, they're like the new 'China' of manufacturing junk. One of my friends is over here from China, and he told me that it's common knowledge in China that LG products are unreliable and poorly manufactured.

• 1 month later...
How did your call to LG go.

Were they of any help to you?

They should change the title of this thread to ( New RPTV looks as good as Plasma when it works)

Nah, I haven't yet, all talk and no action is my motto :lol:

But seriously, I have a hatred for all product made in Korea that will never go away. I see a Hyundai when I'm driving down the road and I want to run it off the road. LG is the worst manufacturer out there, and they are like blood-sucking parasites on the West. Obviously they have no pride at all, and worse than that, they are sleazy criminals peddling they faulty garbage to Australians. I will never buy an LG product again, and for that matter, anything manufactured in Korea.

I have been looking at a Sharp 52 inch LCD which are getting cheaper by the day.

Incidentally, my LG RPTV is working again. I put the contrast setting to 100% and the brightness and colour up high (not too high), which seems to have stopped it breaking down. I have no idea if this is what has made a difference, but it hasn't turned off in over a week. Interestingly, the last time it got really bad was when I backed off the contrast to 80%. Who knows??? It will probably stuff up again shortly. It does have the best picture I have ever seen, still better than anything I have seen to date. It's going to be hard not being able to enjoy that once I get rid of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi Guys,

Has anyone purchased a lamp recently, just lost mine late friday afternoon (typical #!@#), it was easy enough to remove, but i'm really wondering if it's worth it anymore. Any ideas of recent prices???

Cheers.

Hi Pug,

Ordered lamp online from bigwarehouse.com.au for $265.00. Type in rt-44sz21rb (LG model number). Then you'll see 'Lamp Assy'. That included postage and insurance. Lamp received today and installed by my husband. He needed to change the plugs over from the old lamp to the new lamp. Thats a matter of unscrewing & rescrewing. TV works a charm.

Chrissy1

Edited by Chrissy1

Hi Pug,

Ordered lamp online from bigwarehouse.com.au for $265.00. Type in rt-44sz21rb (LG model number). Then you'll see 'Lamp Assy'. That included postage and insurance. Lamp received today and installed by my husband. He needed to change the plugs over from the old lamp to the new lamp. Thats a matter of unscrewing & rescrewing. TV works a charm.

Chrissy1

I would prefer to die than to buy anything from those robbers, I find the service and the prices a lot cheaper at W.E.S in Sydney and when there is a problem you can ring them not like the bigwarehouse that hide when they stuff up and you cant ring them and NEVER REPLY TO YOUR EMAILS!!!.

• 9 months later...
Hi Pug,

Chrissy1

I too ordered a new lamp from bigwarehouse.com.au. It arrived without any fuss. I installed the new lamp and TV is up and running again. Just remember not to touch the glass of the lamp, as your fingers will leave a trace of oil and cause a hot spot when lamp heats up. Lamp will then crack. After replacement go to main menu and reset the lamp hours back to zero. I only got 2,900 hours! To get to main menu hold the menu button on remote and the menu button on the TV at same time. Hold remote near TV when you do this and it may take a few attempts. Once in main menu, work your way down the menu to get to the stuff about the lamp. Then reset counter. Doing it yourself is much cheaper than calling a tech.

Hannah930