The LG 111cm DLP RPTV

Amy

I tend to agree, the prices of these lamps seem very disproportional to the TV. It's the old razor and blade model. Where the razor is cheap and the blade is very expensive. I have seen this price model used (quite sucessfully) with computer printers. Where the printer is cheap (to suck you in) then the ink/toner is very expensive.

I must say I am very happy with the picture quality (brightness, resolution etc) on my LG DLP 111 (RT-44SZ21RB) TV. I am very concerned with the reports on the poor service from LG. And the expensive and relatively short life (8K hrs) of the associated lamps for this TV.

:blink: Please do not buy any rear pro set until you check out the lcd projection Sony Grand Wega 42"". I was just about to purchase a KVHR36M31 CRT SET, when I came across it.

It was playing A BUGS LIFE(SUPRISE NOT!), and the colours , contrast & brightness were 3d. Yes, like you I was sceptical, and went home & got my own dvd's, I Robot,& Harry P & Chamber of secrets, both a good mix of blacks, skin tones & cgi.

Again I was blown away by the Grand Wega( By now a crowd had gathered around, and most people where oooh and aaah. It really was that good.

It was so close to the KVHR36 ( I havent seen it play HDTV), THAT i SERIOUSLY CONSIDERED THE EXTRA $1000.00, FOR a top PQ, & gain an impressive 6"" in the process. That was until I did my research about the whole bulb deal. 6 to 8000 hrs isnt that long in a household with 3 kids, the unit would clock up 2500  to 3000 hrs per year! $570 per bulb , come on, at a 20,000 hr life I would have bought it, but damn it is a fine machine.

Regards Amy

I have seen a few LG CRT sets and the Geometry has been some of the worse i've seen (massive bends of lines across screen).

Funny you should say that Spoonfed.. I have an LG CRT 68cm, and recently I've noticed the screen geometry is buggered.. The glass is not uniformly convex and has various vertical runs through the screen which distort the image.

On top of that, I've noticed that I often see lines through some colours.. Especially when watching AFL.. I think it might be red on green causes these diagonal lines... I'll have to pay more attention to how/why/when it happens.

Hmm.. I've had my eye on the LG 60" LCD RPTV for quite some time, but I don't think I'm too keen on LG anymore.. This thread is also showing some pretty poor form from retailers and LG alike.. I think I might go for the Samsung 61" LCD RPTV, or just wait for the Toshiba LCOS displays to arrive and come down in price (or at least push prices down on everything else).

I don't think I'll be buying that LG fridge I was planning to get either..

-Auldar

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to normal. No other issues ... except that in about 1 in 100 turn ons, the TV will not accept the off command from the remote (either the TVs remote or the LG 4100 STB remote). Though every time I turn it on I expect something bad/strange to happen. But so far the chanting has kept the evil spirits away (though I never considered Wild Turkey to be really evil).

Has the TV settled down, wots the latest??
Update on the picture problem. Unit has now been returned after exactly 1 week at the repairer. Everything seems OK. They said some "connectors needed to be re-aligned". So now I hope it holds together. Glad to get it back.

After a lot of hassle with LG DLP TV, the retailer where we originally bought the set has stepped in and offered a store credit for the price of the TV. Great news for us. We are now free to divest ourselves of the worst piece of electronic (and most expensive) equipment we have ever purchased and will replace it after some investigation with not only a reliable model but with a company who backs their product with efficient and timely service. Four times we asked an LG manager to contact us. Guess what, we're still waiting. The retailer will now battle it out with LG. Lesson learnt from this? Stay well clear of LG products.

• 4 weeks later...

The LG nightmare continues...

TV is now just over a year old and after we thought we might be in the clear it has developed a black strip down the left side, completely black at the top fading as it goes down the screen. Contacting warranty company tomorrow, they're gonna love hearing from me AGAIN!!!

I just don't believe this... :blink:

TV is now just over a year old and after we thought we might be in the clear it has developed a black strip down the left side, completely black at the top fading as it goes down the screen. Contacting warranty company tomorrow, they're gonna love hearing from me AGAIN!!!

Sorry to hear this Emma,

I was just reading through this thread and DBA forums in general (been idle a few months since I got my 36" Toshiba CRT) - I noticed Samsung DLP's are quite cheap now and thought to myself "I'd only loose 1k if I sold it and put another 2k$ in for a 50" DLP" ......

Then I saw this thread,....... ouch - I'm sure not all these problems happen to all DLP's but globes in excess of 500$ is PAINFUL - screw that!

Good luck.

Yeh it's the light tunnel, I wouldn't be supprised if it is replaced with the same defective product and in 12months you will be doing it again.

This is the first and last DLP I will get, Plasma's have dropped a lot in price and there is no $700 globe to replace. With this TV you feel you always need a spare on hand.

• 1 month later...

"' LG ........Life's Good .' or should it be '.........Good Luck.' ?"

Feb 05 ... TV developed first fault ... everything went green (reminded me of the good ol' days of green-screens). Repair company "aligned some connectors".

May 05 ... everything is green again. Repair company has collected it, again.

Anyone got any thoughts to what could be causing this to the DLP set ?

May be I should be thanking my lucky goldstar.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about your TV has it been repaired yet? Not sure what "aligned some connectors" means. My guess is the colour wheel is stuck on the primary colour green.

As I previously mentioned: My TV is 11 months old and has developed a fault.

Had the LG DLP RT-44SZ21RB (111 cm) carted off to the repair shop on Monday 23 May 05. It developed a bright white spot about the size of a match head at the top centre of the screen. Very annoying.

My guess is one of the 1.3 million microscopic mirrors on the DLP chip is stuck on.

1 pixel = 1 mirror. The fun begins - not.

Update: The service centre said today they have to order a new DLP Chip and Light Tunnel and will take about 2 weeks for parts to arrive. New chip I can understand but why does it need a new Light Tunnel??

"' LG ........Life's Good .' or should it be '.........Good Luck.' ?"

Feb 05 ... TV developed first fault ... everything went green (reminded me of the good ol' days of green-screens). Repair company "aligned some connectors".

May 05 ... everything is green again. Repair company has collected it, again.

Anyone got any thoughts to what could be causing this to the DLP set ?

May be I should be thanking my lucky goldstar.

Hi all, just thought I'd share my recent experience with my LG DLP RT-44SZ21RB in case it helps others.

About 2 months ago I started getting that problem many others here have had: Power light flashing on orange and then going back into standby.

When it first started happening, I could get it going after a few attempts, but it progressively got worse....I would have to turn it off out of standby for an hour for it to work...then 12 hours....and then no matter what I did, It wouldn't start.

The globe had only done 3000 hours! So I started trying to source a new globe and opened up the unit and removed it so I could get some details off the globe. Saw that it was an Osram and wrote down the details...I was thinking if I could get it straight from the manufacture it may be cheaper.

Aaaanyway, I tightened the connections to the globe (not that they were loose) and put it back just for the meantime until I got a new globe in...

...and lo and behold, it started up straight away!! Since then (2 weeks) it has started up everytime without fail?!

Not sure what I altered by removing it and putting it back as everything seemed okay on inspection. All I can think of is that the lamp had worked its way out a little with the fan vibrations...but it's screwed in, so even that seems a long shot.

For those getting similar low hours out of their globe with the same symptoms, worth giving this a go before forking out the $600+, just in case it fixes it. Not sure how much more life I'll get out of it, but will report back if it re-occurrs.

On a side note, I see this model can take two brands of globe - Osram and Philips. Mine has the Osram, but wondering those that have got their 6000+ hours out of it, what brand globe they have in theirs? Was the dodgy batch Osram or Philips?

• 4 weeks later...

Well the set came back all nice & repaired. This time it got a new DLP board. And so far so good, except I don't think the picture is a nice as previous.

It's about to run out of warranty so fingers crossed. It's a shame as it was a really nice set.

I think when the lamp goes I'll covert the set into a fish tank or lay it on its back and grow herbs in it.

LG ... if you are reading this ... this was my last LG product I'll be touching.

After 3 weeks theTV has returned from the repair shop. They replaced the DLP Chip and Light Tunnel. Repair seems to be OK and white spot has disappeared.

Sorry to hear about your TV has it been repaired yet? Not sure what "aligned some connectors" means. My guess is the colour wheel is stuck on the primary colour green.

As I previously mentioned: My TV is 11 months old and has developed a fault.

Had the LG DLP RT-44SZ21RB (111 cm) carted off to the repair shop on Monday 23 May 05. It developed a bright white spot about the size of a match head at the top centre of the screen. Very annoying.

My guess is one of the 1.3 million microscopic mirrors on the DLP chip is stuck on.

1 pixel = 1 mirror. The fun begins - not.

Update: The service centre said today they have to order a new DLP Chip and Light Tunnel and will take about 2 weeks for parts to arrive. New chip I can understand but why does it need a new Light Tunnel??

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I brought a 100cm PRT rear porjection tv aroud 12 months ago. One day I turned the set on and it started buzzing and it had no picture. I called LG and they said that they would send a LG repair man out to see me. The repairist looked at it and with in 3 seconds he 'thought' he knew what the problem was so he ordered a part for it. I waited 2 weeks for it then he came around to fit it but then this didnt fix the problem at all. He then ordered another part, I waited for 3 weeks (without a tv) so then decided to call dixions, the company that was my repair agent, i called the number and got telstra saying that this company's phone has been cut off and is now out of bisness. I then called LG and complained and they said ok whell we will send out a repair agent from Sydney but you will have to pay the callout fee so I put down the phone on them. After a few months i called LG again to try and resolve the problem, they told me there is a new repair agent in newcastle so they sent him around. He was very helpfull but still he ordered parts and all atempts at fixing this tv failed so he put in a request for a new tv. LG agred to this and said they would replace it with a 132cm DLP in 7-9 working days. it is now day 19. i have been ringing them and each of them is telling me different stories. One says " Oh yes the tv is coming in a few days" then another tells me "the tv hasnt been ordered so i will order it for you" then another tells me" you should be recieving this tv you should only be getting a 111cm PRT rear projection" so i argued with her and got my way. then after many weeks of waiting i FINALY got the replacment. I am very very happy with it but i am NOT happy with LG's customer service. :blink:

• 1 month later...

hmm

OK... now I'm feeling really really sick..

I purchased my RT-44SZ21RB about 18 months ago.. it first did the flashing orange light no powerup thing about 3 months into it.. i powered it down unplugged everything and turned it back on and voila.. everything has been great up until about 3 weeks ago.

It start the now synonymous flashing orange light trick. I opend the service panel and pulle the bulb out put it back in and bam.. everything worked straight off. since then it has done this to me 2 more times and and theo ly way to get it working is to pull the bulb out and put it back in.. now after reading this thread, I'm getting really really worried. Has there been any confirmed fixes of this issue?? Any suggestion on what I should do???

btw.. I think the warranty on these things are only 12 months..

TIA..

TV has suddenly developed another fault. A dark strip running from top to bottom on the left side of the screen appeared yesterday. And today it has grown to about 50mm wide.

TV now in repair shop- again.

After 3 weeks theTV has returned from the repair shop. They replaced the DLP Chip and Light Tunnel. Repair seems to be OK and white spot has disappeared.

• 3 weeks later...

My set is now 25months Old, gets a fair bit of a work out, around 6-7000 hours a year.

It has now packed up again for the second time, last was in January now September.

I turn it on, hear fan, 3 squeaks and it turns off.

Hope its not the globe as it looks OK.

Maybe I should just buy a Plasma! this whole $700 a globe just pisses me off.

• 2 weeks later...

My 15 month old DLP TV has returned. The Light Tunnel has been replaced, again.

So far it has had a new DLP chip and two Light Tunnels.

What is up with manufacturers today, where has quality control gone?

I also agree with you CAMS the $700+ to change a light bulb is a rip off.

TV has suddenly developed another fault. A dark strip running from top to bottom on the left side of the screen appeared yesterday. And today it has grown to about 50mm wide.

TV now in repair shop- again.

I also agree with you CAMS the $700+ to change a light bulb is a rip off.

I found my receipt it was $572 for the globe, got my TV fixed on site, small chip replaced AC convertor or something like that. All working now untill next time.

You had two light tunnels replaced, LOL, I guess LG cant be bother permantly fixing the problem.

Well here we go again - Over the last week or so a brand new problem has developed.

Firstly let me say how much I hate this damn TV.

There is now a weird flickering of brightness, kinda like the lamp is on its way out or soomething. Very obvious when a plain white screen is shown - like the channel ten promos.

Not happening all the time but more frequently over the last week.

I am just going to ride it out for now. Maybe I'll get lucky and the thing will just die completely so I can replace it with something that isn't a complete peice of junk.

Just curious if anyone else has this problem? Amongst all the others.

Hi all,

My Lg has now stopped producing sound through the internal speakers........it still passes the audio through the av out sockets to my home theatre so it is not a total disaster but it gives a few clicks and pops when first turned on suggesting impending doom. I have an extended warranty so I guess I will call them tomorrow.

The memory of the problems I had with the first two sets was starting to fade a little - this little jolt has reminded me not to buy LG again. I hope they don't have to take it away. If they do I think I will get something else......

Bubbear

Edit at 7.40 am - the TV has decided to die. Clicks and pops then loses picture and there is a squeaking sound - sounds like the colour wheel. Time to go shopping....

Does anyone know what the the part number is for the OSRAM bulb in the RT44SZ21RB?

Or even the OSRAM catalogue part number??

My original globe was an Osrom P-VIP 120/L3 E23hL. Apparently a lot of the early LG DLP's had a dodgy batch of Osram globes. Mine went after about 1800hrs. Can't tell you the make/model of the replacement ($500) cos it's in the TV..........and working like a charm!!!