The LG 111cm DLP RPTV

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well folks Bubbear here.

The bulb has just blown in my set. LG warranty expired 7 October.......

Have an extended warranty but don't know if it will be covered. Have called the contact number but got answering machine. Why do these things happen on a friday? God I wish I'd never bought the thing.

:blink:

Bubbear

Well folks Bubbear here.

The bulb has just blown in my set. LG warranty expired 7 October.......

There is only 8766 hours in a year, I recall some LG sites saying 8000 hours and other saying 10,000 life. If you run that set 8 hours a day then you should have gotten 3 years min.

I would be demanding a new globe or pro/rata min. If you can lets us know what a new globe costs and how you went.

Oh and my set started working again after taking 30min to turn on.

Have just called Gladesville Electronics - the cost of replacing the globe is $635 plus $150 for the service call. I asked about replacing the globe myself and resetting of the hour counter. The service menu is accessible with the standard remote but they would not give me the codes. The counter is reset by the act of removing and reinserting the globe housing - no manual adjustment to the service menu is required. Don't know if that is true but I guess I will find out....

Bubbear

Hi All

Good news, the technician came out and replaced the lamp (under warranty) and everything is working fine (touch wood!!!) it has been a couple of weeks now so I thought it was safe to put a post up! Bubbear you were right about the batch of faulty lamps causing this problem. I am so relieved.

I watched him replace it and I think anyone who is careful and has a screw driver could do it and paying someone $150 to do it would be rediculous! I couldn't see the buttons he pressed to get into the menu to reset the counter.

Thanks for your advice, good luck

Emma

Have just called Gladesville Electronics - the cost of replacing the globe is $635 plus $150 for the service call. I asked about replacing the globe myself and resetting of the hour counter. The service menu is accessible with the standard remote but they would not give me the codes. The counter is reset by the act of removing and reinserting the globe housing - no manual adjustment to the service menu is required. Don't know if that is true but I guess I will find out....

Bubbear

Regarding onto how to access the service menu, i beleive you can bring it up it by pressing on the menu button on the front of the tv and and on the remote at the same time for 5 seconds. Works for my LG tv.

DLP RPTV LG 111cm - RT-44SZ21RB. I have had this set with a HD Toshibal set top box for about 3 months and it is great. Fan makes a bit of noise, but you soon get used to it. My only concern is the lamp, which has a rated life of 8,000 hrs.

I sent an email to LG the other day, to see how much it would cost to replace the lamp. This is their reply: "Dear Hannah, Thankyou for your email, and for being a valued LG customer. Unfortunately it is not possible for you to replace the lamp on this model television. There is no general access into the television, meaning opening the television will void the warranty by doing so. As to the cost of the

lamp, this does vary from store to store, but the average cost of

replacement seems to be around $700-$900. Kind Regards, LG Electronics

Australia."

Has anyone else had a steep quote like this?

Bubbear

Regarding onto how to access the service menu, i beleive you can bring it up it by pressing on the menu button on the front of the tv and and on the remote at the same time for 5 seconds. Works for my LG tv.

Thankyou so much for that. The counter had not been reset. :blink: It showed 4620 so I guess 8000 hours is pretty optimistic! I reset the counter and exited the menu. The globe itself is fairly easy to replace and cost me $635.

Bubbear

Ok here is one for the bright sparks! In the lamp reset menu there is provision for 9 lamps and the hours for each one but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to tell the set it is on it's second lamp. The reset button just reset the usage for the lamp labelled 0. From another menu I can change the hour count for this lamp back to what it was but how do I get it to count the new hours on lamp lablled 1 (the 2nd lamp in this set)?

I remember someone on these forums purchased the service manual for this set a while back. Are you still reading here? If so is what I am asking in that manual?

Many thanks,

Bubbear.

Bubbear

Is that correct $636 for a light bullb?

Also I would be interested in the Service Manual.

Bubbear

• 2 weeks later...

Well mine just died today. 15 months old.

I am guessing that it is a blow blub? $800 to fix!

Well it the tech comes out I may as well hassel him to check out why it can take many attempts to turn on.

Oh hang on a sec, sounds like a faulty bulb! LOL

Stuck between a rock and a hard place now, the set just died, if I get a replacement bulb myself and it doesn't fix the problem then I have wasted a bucket of money, until the bulb needs replaving anyway.

Ok answering my own questions here, the globe was a peice of cake to remove and was blown, saved myself a callout. Will replace it myself just as soon as I can get one.

I posted in this thread ages ago (don't even know why) and still get notified.

Im interested in what it "seems" is the actual bulb life of these units?

(is 8000hrs claimed, but not acheivable?)

Was interesting, while i ago when i did look into them as an option every sales staff clown told me the bulbs last for 10,000hrs or some BS and cost less the $300 to replace. Typical sales BS :blink:

Went the front PJ route and couldn't be happier, 4000hrs is fine, it seems at simlar, well less bulb cost and much less initial cost. (+ 220cm 16:9 :P )

OK, just replaced the first bulb myself.

Bulb life: 15 month, 6699 hours.

Replacement cost: $572

Cost of Bulb/Hour: 8.6cents (doesn't sound so bad when I put it this way)

Lets hope the next one makes it past 8000 hours. and the replacement is half the cost.

As stated earlier hold both menu buttons in for 5 sec to bring up service menu, I would play around in there too much. You can reset the counter, I couldn't work out how to make the counter go to globe 2.

Lets hope the next one makes it past 8000 hours. and the replacement is half the cost.

As stated earlier hold both menu buttons in for 5 sec to bring up service menu, I would play around in there too much. You can reset the counter, I couldn't work out how to make the counter go to globe 2.

You got 2000 hours more than I did! I would have been happy to get 6699 :blink: .

Ditto on the lamp counters........

Bubbear

Well surprise surprise, I have been trying to turn on the TV for about 1/2 an hour with no success. Could it be that the new lamp that the tech put in was not brand new and this is why this is happening again or is it just this piece of s*#* TV?

I am sooooooo sick of this.....

Well surprise surprise, I have been trying to turn on the TV for about 1/2 an hour with no success. Could it be that the new lamp that the tech put in was not brand new and this is why this is happening again or is it just this piece of s*#* TV?

I am sooooooo sick of this.....

I am so sorry to hear this Emma. LG warrant the lamp for 3 months only - the repairer should provide you with some warranty on their work too. I am sure you will never ever touch LG again - I certainly won't :blink:

Hopefully you can get it fixed without charge.........although you have spent enough in wasted time. I fully understand your anger - been there myself....

Chin up,

Bubbear

Finally, after 4 1/2 hours, the TV has finally decided to turn on! Had almost given up but decided to try again and got such a shock when a picture came up, for a while we had the little 34 cm sitting in front of it!

Will be making calls on Monday...

Please describe the process to change the bulb. Do you just unscrew the two screws holding the cover, remove cover and the bulb drops out? Where did you purchase the bulb?

Also not sure if counter has to go to position of globe 2. If it does, what happens when you get to bulb 10, as only 9 positions in counter?

Trust your new bulb will go the distance.

I have the 62" DLP and for the life of me can't see the lamp usage time in the menu option like i used to have on the LCD Rear Pro. I also tried that other menu by holding the menu button down on remote and TV and couldn't see it there either.

Does anyone know where I can find the lamp time on the 62" version?

OK here's the latest!

Tech has replaced the ballast, which drives the lamp, TV still wouldn't turn on so the next step is to replace the optical engine, which should be early next week. In theory there should be no more probs after this... :blink: