The LG 111cm DLP RPTV

Hmmm this seems strange.

The problem i doubt is not with the DLP technology itself, as front pros have been using this for years without issues.

It seems LG's implementation of the DLP technology is perhaps lacking (or on the cheap). I wonder if their DLP front pros are also troublesome?

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emma,

If L.G cannot supply you with a serviceable product, that which you paid for, then demand your money back.

Don't let them palm you off with 'something else' that you don't want,they know there is something wrong with the product.

If you can't get any satisfaction, take them to Consumer Affairs, they are there to protect your interests.

Know your rights, this has happened before to others on these forums.

Emma,

Have you ever considered a projector ? The Sanyo PLV - Z2 is a Wide Screen (16 : 9 ) projector, about $4000 but can be obtained for less.

Read these forums, and just ask people's impressions, but not only of the Z2.

I think you will amazed at the picture quality that these produce.

Best Wishes.

How much weight will your new cabinet hold? and how high is it? are you sure you cant put something like the floor standing Pana In somehow?

EDIT: Also, if your looking at Projectors (which may very well be a great option) for the price the Pana AE500 is a great buy!

Hmm, i wish i didnt keep coming back to Pana, it sounds like i Import them even when i dont sell them!!

Steve

Chickenman - I can't have a projector because the only suitable place for a TV in this room is in front of a window and I don't really want to block it out. btw its tinted and doesn't get direct sun before people tell me not to put a TV in front of a window :blink:

Rising Phoenix - this is the stand I have Everett Worthington I'm not sure how much weight it can support but doubt it can hold ~80-90Kg! There is no way I can fit a RPTV in/around it unfortunately :P

After searching the web all day I have decided to give the replacement set a go. I think the DLP picture is fantastic and it would cost a small fortune to get a plasma the same size. If something goes wrong with this second set I will definately be getting a plasma (most likely a Panasonic)!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Emma- I recently [actually just a few days ago] exchanged one of these sets for a customer. It was because of a power supply problem. As discussed by the poor sole in the first three pages.

We've sold quite a few of these sets at rick hart and to my knowledge we've had problems with a grand total of 2. One being the one I exchanged, one being a set at another store which I didn't have any details on previously. I gather, through your information, that this is your set.

I view this set daily.

It is VERY impressive and vs lcd rear pro or standard rear pro...NOTHING is close. That being said, it is not perfect and for a vvvery picky person there are flaws.

If you don't mind spending a few dollars more go for the new panasonic plasma or maybe even the fujitsu panel. Although, you are looking at around 2 thousand dollars more :blink:

Perhaps, if you don't want to have spend MORE money..take a chance with the DLP and get the 5 year warranty for peace of mind. Taking into accounts the poor service and bad luck with the first one... you would ASSUME that nothing else will go wrong.

Good luck

New set arrived late yesterday with no problems. Fingers crossed :P

I do have one query not about the TV but about FF the VCR.

When I FF a tape after a few seconds the picture cuts out and the screen flashes "No Signal" and then goes black. When I stop FF sometimes the picture won't come back (stays black) but I still have sound so I have to stop the tape and start again. This has happened with both DLP's and doesn't happen when I RW. I wasn't sure if this is a common occurence or if its the TV or the video?? It doesn't really bother me that much because I don't watch tapes very often but I'm curious to know why its happening.

Em

Emma,

As an experiment, before you 'fast forward' on the VCR unplug the video lead from the VCR to the TV, then FF for a short time, stop, then replug the video lead into the TV.

The TV picture should be normal, now play the tape, the picture from the tape should be normal. Now this may seem a bit silly but we are setting a reference for systematic testing.

Next FF the tape,stop, if the screen is blank or not a normal picture then the VCR may be sending a spurious signal (to do with synchronisation ) out along the video lead when in FF mode.

Now play the tape , if the picture is not normal or blanked then the DLP TV is locked up somehow.

Unplug the video lead for a moment or two then replug it. Any change ?

The DLP TV may reset itself in this time ?

This spurious signal (if that is the case) may be of a nature to throw the set into confusion.

It is the inconsistency of the its occurrence that makes diagnosis difficult.

I can only guess at this point, "as all fault finding requires systematic testing and a minimising of assumptions ".( what a mouthful, I read it in a book.)

Next is to try the VCR with another TV ,a CRT , and see if there is a similar problem.

This problem may be indicative of this LG DLP set's quality control.

I am not a fan of LG gear.

Thanks for that Chicken Man it still happened, BUT I have found the cause of the problem: crappy cable!!!!!! I brought a monster video cable to try and improve picture quality a bit and whilst checking a vid out discovered the problem was fixed! Silly me :blink:

Thanks anyway!

Well, I too have been trying to speak with Kyle Black from LG about a washing machine which has not been touched for 3 weeks. Is still under warranty and after countless emails and phone calls to his office, he has not replied to ONE.

LG can go and get ****ed as far as I am concerned. And that is from someone who used to only buy LG products. Was also about to purchase this very TV that we are talking about, before my recent troubles with Kyle Black.

NSW Dept of Fair Trading has been informed.

Absolutely disgraceful service which is not only confined to TV's.

BTW, how have the 2 of you been going with your troubled sets?

New set arrived late yesterday with no problems. Fingers crossed :P

I do have one query not about the TV but about FF the VCR.

When I FF a tape after a few seconds the picture cuts out and the screen flashes "No Signal" and then goes black. When I stop FF sometimes the picture won't come back (stays black) but I still have sound so I have to stop the tape and start again. This has happened with both DLP's and doesn't happen when I RW. I wasn't sure if this is a common occurence or if its the TV or the video?? It doesn't really bother me that much because I don't watch tapes very often but I'm curious to know why its happening.

Em

Hi Emma,

If you have any more dramas with the LG DLP rear pro, check out the Samsung LCD rear pro's. A little more expensive than the LG's, but not by much and the unit size and weight is about the same as the equivalent LG model. Make sure you get a demo of your actual unit first though, I had dead pixels on the first 2 that were delivered but Samsung/J&B got it right in the end (and in a lot less time than LG by the sounds of it....we are talking days here and not weeks)

Cheers,

Paul.

• 4 months later...

I've just discovered this forum and as it turns out we just bought one of these TVs at a Brashs closing down sale for $3600 (which I hear is a good deal). My cousin has one and so far has had no complaints, but mine will be in storage til the end of the year coz it's for our new house which we're not in yet (still living with parents, getting married in Jan).

I'll definitely come back and give you my feedback, if I'd discovered this forum before we bought it I might have thought twice!

:blink:

I have a question though which I haven't been able to find the answer to (probably a totally obvious question that I have no idea about) do these new technology tvs support both PAL and NTSC now? Coz I have some dvds that are NTSC and I would assume that modern technology (for the price you pay!) would incorporate both now?

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

LG DLP 111cm RPTV - 9 months old now

TV developed problem of not turning on a few months ago (amber light flashes for 30 sec or so and then goes back to standby). The frequency of this problem is now increasing (sometimes 5-6 tries to get TV on) and I don't think I can ignore it any longer.

Time to call tech support and cross fingers and toes and pray to all the Gods and hope that this doesn't turn into a drama! :blink:

Does anyone know if there are now parts for these TV's in Aust'? (I am assuming it is the power supply)

Thanks,

Em

Emma,

Sorry to hear that your set has developed the same problem my first set had. I have read elsewhere that there was a bunch of faulty lamps that caused this problem so it may be just a case of getting the lamp replaced. Don't let it go - call LG and get it fixed. I know that they are unresponsive but you paid a lot for the TV and they need to accept their responsibilties. I know that I will be on the phone the second something goes wrong with my third set.............

cheers,

Bubbear.

After reading all these posts its clear that there is a factory fault with the DLP TV.

For the ones that have the option of getting a new TV -

Have you looked at the LG LCD TV (RT44-SZ80LB). Its the same basic idea but LCD instead of DLP. The sales rep at Bing Lee told me that the DLP had a few problems but the LCD seems to be fine so far. Its also a bit cheaper. I paid $3200 for it with a DVD recorder & stand. Like DLP there is a certain amount of dead LCD pixels allowable. This is not just an LG issue but a universal acceptance as the technology that goes into making LCDs means some pixels will never work.

Ive had this TV for a few months now and am quite impressed considering the price.

If this TV doesnt appeal be aware that there is the new model of DLP coming out very soon. Its DLP with main additions being a non glossy screen and DVI/RGB inputs.

Thoses of you who have been turned off LG, so be it. Im still a fan.

Admittedly Im also a fan of big brands like Sony but Im not a fan of their prices.

Good luck.

I've never seen a dead pixel on an LCD RPTV but if they appear as big as they do on a DLP it would be totally unwatchable. A dead pixel/mirror on a DLP is not small and is clearly visible on the screen as a white or black square from 12 feet away! Of course you can never take your eyes off it

When I had my problem with the LG DLP I emailed Samsung in the US and they replied:

"Dear Customer

Stuck pixels are not a concern on the DLP because if you do encounter a problem we will service it under warranty. There is not pixel standard on the DLP. We will cover this problem if it happens on a DLP. You should not expect it to happen at all on a DLP. There is more of a chance of it happening on an LCD or plasma I would say rather than DLP's."

I'm not sure if this is still the case and will be when the Samsung DLP's are released in Aust'.

Apparently the dead pixels on an LCD rear pro thats HD compliant are tiny. You have to look so close to the TV to see the occasional tiny black dots. (read it on another forum somewhere)

Ive had a close look at my LG LCD and can see the occasional light/white coloured pixel. I can only just see it when I look really, really closely. There is no way I can see it from the 3 or so metres that I normally watch the TV.

Also, Emma, if your going to get a new TV and don't want the original LG DLP TV then ring up LG and ask when the new DLP TVs are coming. (also ask if they have fixed the old probs)

TV developed problem of not turning on a few months ago (amber light flashes for 30 sec or so and then goes back to standby). The frequency of this problem is now increasing (sometimes 5-6 tries to get TV on) and I don't think I can ignore it any longer.

I have had mine at least 12 months now.

A few times it wouldn't turn on as you decribed but usually started on the second attempt. Worst was when the power went out for a few secs, the TV keeped going back into standby after about the 6th attempt I left it for a few minutes. Then it started OK.

That was a few weeks ago.

Anybody know what a replacement lamp for this set costs and where to buy it?