Sign in to follow this  
michaelf

HD capable DVD Player

Michaelf,

How is the new February firmware shaping up?

It appears as if there is some confusion about the 50Hz over DVI working?

Have you had a chance to verify this?

Cheers

philby

philby,

50Hz was already working over DVI through the custom DVI settings page. I can confirm this.

What the new firmware attempts to do is give actual preset options for the standard HD resolutions at 50Hz in the menu such as 576p, 720p and 1080i. It also attempt to include these as options for component video.

I can confirm that it also adds a new screen saver which is not customisable and only comes on after a few minutes of not being in play mode. Therefore it will not come on if the movie is paused.

It has also added "OFF" to the front panel when the unit is in standby mode.

In regards to the 50Hz, I can confirm that for both component and DVI, the new 576p at 50Hz option works correctly, however the 720p and 1080i are both still only at 60Hz. Maybe some mistake the developers made. This should hopefully be resolved soon with a new firmware release, still waiting for info.

We are almost there. I will post again when I have further info.

Thanks

On the AVS Forum, many people in Pal/50Hz countries are posting that even if their source (DVD player, HDSTB, HTPC) is outputing 50Hz, most lcd/dlp projectors if fed via DVD-D, are converting the 50Hz signal internally to 60Hz. This produces what they call "judder" and "micro-stutter". i.e. this re-scaling is producing motion that is not smooth. :blink:

This is NOT the fault of the source (in our case - a Momitsu player). So if you have the latest firmware, and are having the above problems, don't immediately think the Momitsu or the firmware is at fault.

No-one seems to have an answer to this projector problem yet. I'm hoping some smart cookie will come up with a tweak for the pj's, that will allow users to bypass this stupid compulsory frequency change by the projectors.

Just a question maybe some one can answer. I have just bought the momitsu player awsome picture quality compared to my $2000 dollar Onkyo DVD player. But I had no problems playing any disk on the Onkyo, but with this new player I do have issues. I have Final Fantasy which is a region 1 disk and it will not play it as it complains about the region. So I assume the player is set to region 0 and does not respond to the disk correctly when it interrogates the player. Which as far as I understand means that is not fully RCE compliant. Is there a fix for this or is there new firmware coming out that will resolve this issue.

I'll be buying a Momitsu at the end of the month, so I haven't read all the info on the various forums, but there is an enormous amount of information at the AVS forum. Just do a search for Momitsu and Region problem, and see what happens.

Ok I wont one of these DVD players.

What do I have to do , and who do I talk to , to get one.

Slide back up the page til you find any post from "michaelf". He is the Australian importer/retailer. Send him a PM (email). He lives in Melbourne but will ship anywhere in Australia. Michael includes an Australian warantee.

On the AVS Forum, many people in Pal/50Hz countries are posting that even if their source (DVD player, HDSTB, HTPC) is outputing 50Hz, most lcd/dlp projectors if fed via DVD-D, are converting the 50Hz signal internally to 60Hz. This produces what they call "judder" and "micro-stutter". i.e. this re-scaling is producing motion that is not smooth. :blink:

This is NOT the fault of the source (in our case - a Momitsu player). So if you have the latest firmware, and are having the above problems, don't immediately think the Momitsu or the firmware is at fault.

No-one seems to have an answer to this projector problem yet. I'm hoping some smart cookie will come up with a tweak for the pj's, that will allow users to bypass this stupid compulsory frequency change by the projectors.

Sorry Nordo, but that's just not so - or at least not completely the picture. It would be misleading to potential consumers to pretend that the problem is now in hand.

As an owner of a plasma that is quite comfortable with both 50Hz and 60Hz signals, the Momitsu player still stutters with various DVDs, no matter what the region.

The problem is poor quality internal hardware - specifically the loader. People expecting some mythical fix from 50Hz output have another think coming.

That all said, except for jumpiness on the odd DVD, often fixed by taking the disc out of the tray and reinserting it several times, the player is not too bad on the latest firmware.

Given the wonderful picture it can produce, I've also learned to live with the fact that it directly screens the true aspect of the source, but I still find it painful.

Any update on firmware for this unit that corrects the 50Hz output at 720 or 1080?

-Auldar

It was supposed to be due out in April (2 days to go :blink: )

Michael is selling the new shipment at the moment with the March firmware.

Hi,

Just thought I would let people know that if you live in Sydney, we (Com-Tek Australia) will be at CeBIT in sydney this week and will have the Momitsu on demo. So if you would like to see it in action and have not had the opportunity because you are from Sydney, come and see our stand.

I'm after a dvd player that has rgb scart out does the momitsu have this?

Cheers

I know the European Momitsu V880's have Scart RGB, not sure if this is on those brought into Australia.

Otherwise you'll need to look for a 2000-2001 vintage player.

I researched this a few years ago and found :

1) Harman Kardon DVD10

2) NAD T562 (I think ?)

I bought the HK DVD10 and used the SCART-RGB for my Sony Profeel Monitor. It has great quality picture quality considering Analogue SCART-RGB is 20+ years old technology.

"I'm after a dvd player that has rgb scart out does the momitsu have this?"

"Otherwise you'll need to look for a 2000-2001 vintage player."

I have an "old" Pioneer DV717 which has scart out.

I see them sometimes second-hand at Len Wallis - but they usually want about $700 to $850 for them.

After reading all this thread and some other forums. SO far ive gotten a hell of a lot of conflicting information about how good/bad this player is. I know alot of the issues are with the pal display.

So ive got some simple questions. I do realy like the sound of this player and what it promises it can do. I want to use this player solely for my home theatre. It will be sending the signal to a sony vplhs10 projector via dvi-d. This will be the only outputs used on the player for video.

Now for the questions.

1) If i buy a momitsu player and get it firmware upgraded to whatever the "latest" version is. What issues still are unresolved from the many complaints here?

2) Is pal correctly displayed at 50hz from this device through dvi-d. Is this confirmed %100. Im not worried about my projector changing it to 60hz. Im just asking about the player itself.

3) Stutter problems that have been reported. Id like to hear from people who have used this player over dvi-d on pal only. Is it still a factor?

4) Overall can everybody give a percentage raing of their happiness with this projector taking only their own experience into account.

Thanks people. Hope I get some helpful advice and I will keep reviewing and reading more and more on this player.

I'm after a dvd player that has rgb scart out does the momitsu have this?

Cheers

buy direct and you should get one.

Re DVD players and scart, check out Kmart for the MAGNAVOX MDVD 200

It has RGB via scart as well as s-out and Component(colour difference). Also inbuilt ac3 decoder.

The player has a good pic and have not found any nasty glitches as yet. It is based on a ZORAN chipset. The only thing l dont like is the remote, tacky feel and it wont learn into my Kameleon.

Bought it at easter for $98, normal price is $129. 2 year change over warrenty, and being Kmant if you dont like it take it back.

You don't really need a scart out, as analogue RGB is available on the Momitsu's DVI port.

That is how all us folks with CRT projectors run them.

You don't really need a scart out, as analogue RGB is available on the Momitsu's DVI port.

That is how all us folks with CRT projectors run them.

Sorry but Analogue RGB found in SCART is different to RGBHV in the DVI port of the Momitsu V880, which is also different to component RGB.(both YPbPr and YCbCr)

Michaelf,

Interesting to see Momitsu is following up with the V880N due out some time in June04. Check out their website V880N website.

It looks worth waiting for...wireless network, USB, memory slots..Any idea of cost and availability in Oz. Have u seen one yet and what are your thoughts.

Cheers

Trimma

We are yet to see the V880N and we are unsure yet as to when we will have them or what price will be. We are expecting that they will not be available till the end of June, and we may be lucky to get a sample at the begining of June.

I will post details as I receive them and I will post a full review of the player as soon as we get one.

Thanks

Is the v880N going to completly replace the v880 or will both be for sale still?

We will most likely be carrying both for a little while at least

Hey all,

I am wanting to get one of these to hook up my panny ae500. I just called Com-tec in Melbourne for a local pickup and was quoted $599 AUD due to the dollar going down blahblahblah! I was under the impression that these players were aroung $450 AUD and seeing that the HK price is still $229US + $71US to ship this still works out at $433 AUS on todays market price

Can anyone please help???

Thanks in advance

sajaga