Sign in to follow this  
michaelf

HD capable DVD Player

I have a PAL/NTSC ps DVD player giving 480p/576p to my LG 152cm RPTV display.

So what I would like to know, is whether there will be a noticeable improvement going for a 720p/1080i DVI player such as the one(s) mentioned here and the new one on the samsung website.

OK Everyone,

I have some more details. Firstly I will just answer some of the recent posts.

Firstly, anyone who is interested in one of these units, that hasn't done so already, please email me instead of posting here so I can keep a record of all the people with interest.

For 'Fantasy' and anyone else who is interested, the support and warranty (1 Year) is covered by the manufacturer in Hong Kong, so unfortunatly if the machine needed to go back for reapir for any reason, it would need to be sent back to Hong Kong. I am still trying to work something out at this stage about sending them back to me in Melbourne and I send them off for warranty repair, as an Australian distributor for them, but this is still in discussions and I won't know how it will work out until we know exactly what the response is. Worst case you will have to send them back to Hong Kong yourself.

'Bari' the new Toshiba TV does a similar upscaling to this player, however I have no reports on how well it does it, where as I have reports and reviews that say this player does it quite well. And if you have a different HDTV then this is better than buying a new TV. The other main benefit of this player is the fact that it has a DVI output that is not HDCP enabled for pure digital connection to a capable device.

'Hoffy' this player does not require DVDs recorded in HD as that is what blue ray would do because of the increased capacity, but its still a while off mainstream yet. In the mean time this DVD player will upscale normal DVD movies to HD resolutions for HD displays.

'Paul' you are correct that 9HD is broadcasting 1080i material at 1080i so no this player will not look as good as that, and it never could so I am not claiming that. But what I have heard from other users is that it is not too far from it. Users have said that its the closest to 9HD or a HTPC resolutions that they have ever seen from a standard DVD player. That should make everyone happy while we all wait for blueray. And you are correct, one of the main benefits as I mentioned, is the DVI output for those you have a compatible display, or even a display with a good VGA interface, as the DVI, with an adapter, will also increase picture quality.

'StarDrifter' Yes there will be a noticeable improvement in picture quality over a prog scan DVD player as it will upscale to 720p or 1080i. Your player only upscales to 420p/576p so obviously there will be a difference. It also depends on your TVs interface and I am not quite familiar with what it is capable of, but everyone else with varying displays has pretty much had the same conclusion, some better than others.

Now for the new info.

It definitley will not do 576p. But it will do 576i when in PAL mode, and it will output 720p and 1080i depending on the video mode set or the disc playing. PAL will output 720p and 1080i at 50Hz and in NTSC will output 720p and 1080i at 60Hz.

So there is the main question answered that was on everyone's lips.

The other thing is price and delivery details. This is still not definite as we are still working out the possibility of me and my partner becoming the sole Australian distributor if we recive enough interests and requests and positive feedback. However the price will be somewhere around $400-$450 inc GST.

For all those that are definitley interested, email me so I can keep you updated. If it all goes through, they will be available by late October/early November.

I would also like to know some feedback from people if possible to help us. Would you prefer to pay a little more to buy from an actual store here in Australia/Melbourne, with 2 day shipping on stocked items to other citys, with a place locally to return it to for warrenty (of course they would still have to be sent back to Hong Kong for repair/replacement) rather than having to send them yourself. Or maybe be a little cheaper and have to deal yourself with Hong Kong and no local face/store? Let me know what you think.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks

Having a retail store in Melbourne would be a plus ...

I'd certainly pay more if it included being able to get a changeover unit during the warranty period [instead of waiting months for the hong kong connection]!

Can I suggest that selling via an auction site (one starting with e springs to mind) might be a good way to do the initial sales... easy administration for selling the units (PayPal etc transfer money direct to bank accounts), and some security for the buyers. Not that we don't trust you! Still, I did lose some money sending my bank details to those guys in Nigeria :-)

You could also use the austion site to track interest, I don't think you are BOUND to sell the stuff immediately, simply put in a multiple unit site, and let people buy from the site.

It seems pretty easy to set yourself up on ebay.com.au (and other sites), and also very easy to use PayPal... transfers money direct from buyers PayPal-linked credit card to your bank account.

Indulis

PS I am also v interested

re upscaling in the TV versus upscaling in the DVD layer - I would have thought that it would be better for the upscaling to take place in the DVD player (so long as it has a good quality scaler). That way, the upscaling is done entirely in the digital domain rather than the DVD player converting to analog, the TV reconverting into digital and then upscaling a degraded picture.

Of course, if we were talking about DVI to DVI then it wouldn't matter but the Toshiba we're getting in Australia doesn't have a DVI input.

I've read the reviews and for a few hundred decided to order one direct from Hivizone HK. My main interest is using this player with my Sony VPW-12 projector via DVI using a VGA converter. This way I can watch DVDs in the projectors native 1366x768 res. which the player also features. I will be trying it out on my Toshiba in 1080i, but that not a real motivation for me seeing as I have the HTPC already. BTW before anyone says, HTPC is too inconvient to set up where I have the projector.

This Player appears to be based on the SIGMA Designs EM8500 Chipset..

Sigma EM8500

I have a DVD Player Based on this Chipset...

Couple of POINTS to be wary of...

Unless your using the DVI output all copy protected DVD's will Dfault to 480P which isnt that flash... (Can be bypassed if they allow macrovision to be turned off)

576P is important and does look good... And is supported by the chipset.. They just need to modify the Firmware...

1080i @ 60HZ will not work on ALL HDTV's I know on My Panasonic 86CM 100 HDTV it doesnt work at all... even on NTSC cos the Pana doesnt support the format.. 50hz will work... Again if macrovision disabled or you make your own DVD's...

$400-$450 seems a little expensive and mind you mine does not have the DVI but cost around 300 bux...

And is it user Firmware updateable ???

Unless your using the DVI output all copy protected DVD's will Dfault to 480P which isnt that flash... (Can be bypassed if they allow macrovision to be turned off)

576P is important and does look good... And is supported by the chipset.. They just need to modify the Firmware...

It states that the component outputs do allow scaled output above 480p in the review conducted by the Keohi HDTV website. The player has a menu that allows Macrovision to be turned off as well.

I won't be too worried about the 576p when using a projector with a native 1366 x 768p resolution (that this player outputs) such as in my own situation. As long as you have display that can handle the 720p or 1080i output I can see why you'd be worried about watching 576p, the review makes a good point of that.

'Hoffy' this player does not require DVDs recorded in HD as that is what blue ray would do because of the increased capacity, but its still a while off mainstream yet. In the mean time this DVD player will upscale normal DVD movies to HD resolutions for HD displays.

Aaahh thanks for your clarification. I new the topic wording was actaully missleadng. :blink: (to good to be true lol).

Altho we can master DVD's with HD Video atm. The only prob is nothing will play them accept the device that is master of everything... the computer.

Count me out thanks.

Die DVD's... die!! :ph34r:

Thanks for the feedback guys. Again, if you are interested in purchasing this player, email me and I will notify you of the costs and details etc. At the moment I am still in discussions with the supplier about becoming a distributor for Australia and setting up the sales from a store here in Melbourne. At this stage it is looking promising, but I will let you know the details as soon as its finalised. From the feedback I received, most people would prefer to buy this way, even if it cost a little more.

OzHTfan, let us know how you find your Momitsu once you receive it. I will be interested in hearing your feedback.

Wayne7497, as OzHTfan pointed out, this player is the only player going around at the moment of its kind. It will allow 480p/720p/1080i output via the component connections as well as DVI as macrovision can be disabled, unlike other players of its type.

Although the player won't do 576p, as stated earlier, I don't see too much point of it as it will do 720p and 1080i which of course is better that 576p. And to correct you, as posted earlier, it will do 720p and 1080i at 50Hz when in PAL mode for all those displays that won't accept a 60Hz signal.

The player is user firmware upgradeable. The firmware, along with the instructions on how to load it, are available from the manufacturers site. The only thing required is a PC, a cd burner and a blank CD, with the required software and firmware of course.

You say $450 seems expensive. Your player as mentioned does not have DVI out. The only player I have seen in stores in Australia that had DVI out was a top end Marantz at JB, who are normally pretty cheap, and it was selling at $2000+. Now I am not comparing this player to a Marantz, although some reviews say that it had a much better pic quality because of the HD upscaling than the Marantz by far, but it is the only player that would come close in terms of features. Samsung will have their version of the DVI HD upscale player out by the end of the year, but has very limited functionality compared to the momitsu as mentioned in previous posts, and will retail at around $700+ so I think the Momitsu will be great value, even up to $500 from a store.

Hoffy, we can only wait in hope, but at least this player might make the wait seem a little shorter.

Ted, I asked the supplier the exact same question about the T2HD version. You are correct, this player will not play it, but I also found out, correct me if I am wrong anyone, but no conventional DVD player will play this version. The movie has been encoded with a compression layer to fit the HD content onto one standard DVD using a new compression layer created by Aristan and Microsoft and can only be decrypted/decompressed by Windows Media Player 9 with the HD component, on a very beafy PC. Therefore not even the Bravo can play it in its true HD form.

Maybe when people get the drive and start playing with it we might be able to get it to actaully display 720 or 1080 video. Still a chance i guess. :blink: But yeah i agree it is good to see things like this happening.

Cheers

lynden,

As confirmed a few times in other posts, the Momitsu CAN display 720p and 1080i using both the DVI and Component outputs.

hi there,

neuston maestro DVX-1201 is a new dvd player that can do 1920x1080i and play divx .There is a place in Melbourne selling them for about $400.

www.neuston.com

Suite 9/322 Stephensons Rd

Mount Waverley VIC 3149

Tel: (03) 9513 9236

Michael,

Where did you find out that " it will do 720p and 1080i at 50Hz"... I'd like to know that the player is not going to try to turn a 50Hz PAL DVD into 60Hz.

Thanks v much! ;-)

Indulis

hi there,

neuston maestro DVX-1201 is a new dvd player that can do 1920x1080i and play divx .There is a place in Melbourne selling them for about $400.

www.neuston.com

Suite 9/322 Stephensons Rd

Mount Waverley VIC 3149

Tel: (03) 9513 9236

hmmm, I was interested in this player....

until I read on the the web page that output on YPbPr is restricted to 480i/p, 576i for any copy protected DVDs. Makes the 1080i/720p rather useless.

another plus for this player is that the latest firmware included custom settings to suit the panasonic ae300 on dvi :blink::P

Hi Everyone.

Firstly to answer indulis' question, I have a response from the manufacturer confirming that in Pal mode, the video will be outputted at 50Hz, not 60Hz but once I receive our test unit I will definitley confirm this before I confirm any purchases to make sure.

As Lynden pointed out, there is a company here in Melbourne already selling a similar model by the name of Maestro.

The downside of this unit over the Momitsu is, as Bazza pointed out, it will not allow playback of copy protected DVDs in HD resolutions via component video outputs. The other major downside is it has no DVI outputs.

We are also looking at this model to import from the manufacturer (same manufacturer) as it is identical chipsets to the momitsu. However the model we are looking at, like the Momitsu, has the copy protection removed so all DVDs will play at the HD resolutions via component. But still no DVI, so at the moment I would just like to know how important the DVI is. It does seem that it is very important to a few people but the model without DVI is reasonably cheaper so I would like some feedback to see whether people would prefer to pay that bit extra ($50-$100) for the DVI output.

Please let me know.

Also in regards to jeffp's comment, yes this player's latest firmware has the custom resolution settings to suit projectors such as the ae300 but not on DVI as only the Momitsu has DVI, which also has the firware for custom resolution settings.

Thanks

I would only be interested in the momitsu. My previous comment about panasonic custom settings was intended for the momitsu.

Oh, sorry jeffp. Misunderstood. I though you were talking about the Maestro.

But yes the Momitsu would be perfect for you. I'll Keep you updated.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, October 13, 2003 10:16 AM

To: tech@manowa.com.tw

Subject: Momitsu DVD V-880 50Hz PAL DVDs- converted to 60Hz at 1080i?

Hello,

Can you tell me if a PAL 50Hz DVD will make the output from the DVD

player 50Hz or 60Hz at 1080i resolution?

Thanks!

Indulis

=================================================

Dear Indulis:

After testing, we make sure that your requirement is possible.

Yes, v880 can do all you want.

Thank you

Manowa Techsupport

...actually I am not sure what that reply meant! I read it thinking it said PAL@50Hz out but on rereading it is not clear.

I've asked for clarification

Indulis

indulis,

As I explained in earlier posts, i have confirmation from the manufacturers that a PAL disc will output HD video @ 50Hz.

I'm keen to see the Momitsu on my Sony projector and hopefully on the next gen Sony Qualia HD projector by the end of the year. I don't know that the Momitsu's going to be much chop on a smaller screen like my Toshiba 56", next to my Meridian 596 (just traded up to the 598 edition) which I got back yesterday. It's a major league DVD player of course (no I didn't pay anything like retail, I pay trade price), but boy it's hard to go past the picture quality and the multi-channel upsampling of 5.1 soundtracks. Aside from it being silly to compare the 2 players on the grounds of cost difference, I think the Momitsu will give me a real insight into the what the capabilities of new Meridians G-series DVD players which will be able to output DVD video via the protected HDMI interface up to 1080i will be.

I must say I do also like the multi-format capabilities of the Momitsu particularly DIVX playback.