Sign in to follow this  
michaelf

HD capable DVD Player

If you think good gear cost you as much as your last four cars you must have owned 4 Yugos or the like... I own currently own a Meridian G68 and have had 2 previous models of Meridian processor.

I am sorry that I only earn $30k a year and have to hunt the WWW to save a dollar. I am sorry that I drive and can only afford a $3000 Holden while you can afford to buy a $15,000 Meridian G68 which is only a pre-amp.

That's why paying rip off prices for Hi-Fi is a priority to me, while obviously you can better absorb such high mark-ups with your better income and tax abilities. I am ever so sorry that Meridian is not in my system and I will crawl back under my rock and bask in the sunlight of your superior ability.

Humbly sorry for saving trying to money.

Like I mentioned previously, I didn't pay anything like $15,000 (which is more than RRP, BTW) for my Meridian, try closer to $8000. Hey that's still expensive, but like I said I didn't start buying Meridian 13 years ago when I was just beginning with HT. I was also only 20 at time and lucky that I could do short term finance with my mates at the local hifi store, so I could own a Yamaha RX surround amp plus some Infinity speakers and pay them off. Sure my means became better over the years, but that doesn't mean I'm not as much or more of a bargain hunter than the next guy. If anything I've slowly traded up, bought 2nd hand gear, as well as invested more into it along the way. I can only afford to have the current Meridian processor, even at a good price thanks to the fact that I can sell my old Meridian processor for very good money. Meaning therefore the entire upgrade only owes me about the cost of a mid-range Denon,Yamaha, or Marantz amp, which thankfully is an amount I can afford to pay after 3 or 4 years. Even if I had vast sums of money burning a hole in my pocket it wouldn't mean I'd go out and buy a $200k MBL Refence hifi system or the like just for the sake of it. On the same token if some reason I was compelled to buy such a system there is no way known to man I wouldn't be screwing the retailer to wall on the price. If you think all the people out there who are doing reasonably well financially turn a blind eye to the price of items they purchase, then I'm afraid you a labouring under a false assumption. You would not believe the extent that people I know, who are well off ($250k+ salaries), ruthlessly go to drive a bargain on practically every item they purchase. These are people who know the value of the dollar and have worked hard to get where they are. Sure there are people out there with more money than sense, but you would be painting with far too broad a brush to assume that anyone with a buck doesn't care and just pays full retail.

Just lastly, I don't claim 'superior abilities' because I own Meridian equipment. I am purely a passionate Home Audio/Video enthuisiast who's dedicated a lot of time,money and effort to the hobby over the years. I am and will always be greatful that through my means I can own and enjoy good equipment. peace out :blink:

Like I mentioned previously, I didn't pay anything like $15,000 (which is more than RRP, BTW) for my Meridian, try closer to $8000.

Damn 8K anint to bad for the Meridian thats what the Integra RDC-7 cost down from $10.5k

I didn't pay anything like $15,000 (which is more than RRP, BTW) for my Meridian, try closer to $8000. Hey that's still expensive

Not that I have an interest but I guessed the RRP was in that sort of region. After all whats $1k or two when your still talking more than I could really afford to pay for a car.

My biggest gripe in this thread is your higher than "common man attitude" towards me wanting to save myself around A$500 on an item that costs me US$320 (Motsimu V880N) just because because the Oz pricing is out of step with OS pricing. I think your two faced attitude towards saving money by not paying the ludicrous retail prices is very obviously bigoted towards the big end ticket items, which common folk obviously can't afford. Its just that you think the relative saving is not an issue because its not saving thousands like your Meridian. Hell you probably get a tax write off on it which makes it more potent.

It doesn't matter what price any goods sell for as you are totally mad to give away extra money for jam when it much cheaper right in front of you (www). People can save thousands and that money is beter off paying morgages or for retirement than it is in local retailers hands. Shop the world and maybe the local greed moungers might get taught a a lesson about decent profit vs rip off. The relationship of the Momitsu selling in all OS countries is substantially cheaper and the buying price here in Oz is out of step, just like so many other imported products. I know Momitsu is only a small fry and the big offenders are a group of big boys who control the main Oz mark-ups. But the Oz consumer seems to get sucker punched each time he buys this gear. One good look at the best buys OS on the www and its enough to make you not want to go local shopping again. People like Mr Harvey, Mr Encel, and Mr Wallis love Oz retail as its like writing your own bottom line.

My biggest gripe in this thread is your higher than "common man attitude" towards me wanting to save myself around A$500 on an item that costs me US$320 (Motsimu V880N) just because because the Oz pricing is out of step with OS pricing. I think your two faced attitude towards saving money by not paying the ludicrous retail prices is very obviously bigoted towards the big end ticket items, which common folk obviously can't afford. Its just that you think the relative saving is not an issue because its not saving thousands like your Meridian. Hell you probably get a tax write off on it which makes it more potent.

It doesn't matter what price any goods sell for as you are totally mad to give away extra money for jam when it much cheaper right in front of you (www). People can save thousands and that money is beter off paying morgages or for retirement than it is in local retailers hands. Shop the world and maybe the local greed moungers might get taught a a lesson about decent profit vs rip off. The relationship of the Momitsu selling in all OS countries is substantially cheaper and the buying price here in Oz is out of step, just like so many other imported products. I know Momitsu is only a small fry and the big offenders are a group of big boys who control the main Oz mark-ups. But the Oz consumer seems to get sucker punched each time he buys this gear. One good look at the best buys OS on the www and its enough to make you not want to go local shopping again. People like Mr Harvey, Mr Encel, and Mr Wallis love Oz retail as its like writing your own bottom line.

Hey, remember hifi007, I was never against saving a buck on the momitsu or any 'item' it where you can save a few hundred bucks (I imported mine..). For crying out loud, do you know how much computer equipment I've bought from O.S. for example because the local pricing is B.S.(Video cards, Motherboards,CPUS,etc)? I bought my ATI Radeon 9800XT for like $A400 when they came out, they had the nerve to charge $850+ for them here. For pete's sake what I'm saying is there are plenty of examples of common brands that are sold in high enough volumes that our pricing here in OZ isn't all that bad, at least not enough to justify the landed cost of buying over the net. Can I also add that buying a lot of items A/V products, the 880 excluded, that need to be PAL and 220/240v for example can be a pretty big pain over the net. That's why most of my A/V gear is sourced locally. Call me spendthrift but I consider time spent ordering, dealing with online retailers and shipping time to be part of the cost if I'm going to be importing something in myself. So if there's going to something like $50 in a $300+ item, I tend to weigh it up in terms of cost saving vs. convience, that is if the item's immediately available in a store down the road. I can tell you there's been more than one occasion in recent years where I've also outsmarted myself and bought something at what I thought was a super low US price only to find some bugger selling that product here for the same or a 'poofteenth' more than what I paid for it.

Any mountain climbers out there who would like to try and climb the chip on Hifi007's shoulder? I have never seen one so big!!!!!!

Ian

Hi All

I have given up on the Samsung DVD-HD937

While in Melbourne last Friday last I picked up a Momistu V880

The best thing I ever did - the 880 works great on the SP50L2 - LCD

No abnormal line across the screen

No scrambled screen when 1080 mode selected

The picture quality of the Momistu on 1080i is amazing

No hook up problems just plugged in via DVI and away you GO

Works great on all resolutions - No HDCP issue

Have not had a chance to play with all the featutes of

this machine as yet - but more than Happy with the PQ

Will advise when I finally hear something from Samsung in regard to the

unwatchable HD937 which now has pride of place in my garage

Cheers

TV

I want to use the V880 to connect via component to a CRT RPTV, as it can only do 60Hz 1080i from the component out, I am thinking of using the DVI-I out with a DVI-I(?) to VGA cable through a Crescendo Transcoder. Will this work, and what DVI cable should I get, a DVI-I, DVI-A??? As the DVI-I has all pins cbaled, does the V880 output anologue video through the DVI port???

:blink:

I think its about time to put my 2 cents in. This argument between hifi007 and OZHTFan doesn't seem to be getting far.

Now firstly I agree with hifi007 on one point, we should be looking to get the best price on anything we buy, not just HT equipment. But at the same time you need to justify the savings with the benefits you loose from getting an online bargin.

The fact is to order a V880 online with shipping etc at the current exchange rate and all other associated costs, its actually closer to $400AUD. And at this stage the V880N (when its actually available) will be nowhere near $1000 as per hifi007 statement. More like $150 more then the current V880 cost, which is about on par with the pricing differnece from OS. Therefore you would save approximatly $100 or thereabouts. If you only need to return this player for warranty once (postage cost both ways) you will have already lost your savings. So first thing, at least you have a piece of mind of being able to return it to someone locally for warranty, or even out of warranty repairs for little or no cost (depending on your location).

You also mentioned that retailers do not deserve a profit because they don't know the product and don't keep stock. I agree that many retailers do not know about all their equipment, but generally these are the retailers that work on very low margins anyway. We all kow it is unrealistic to ask a retailer to not make a profit just because he doesn't know how a product works. Thats the price the customer pays for getting a bargin. If you want knowledgable people to sit their and talk to you about a product or your setup, you must be prepared to pay, as nobody gives you anything for nothing, and I am sure you wouldn't either. So the fact is, the smaller niche reseller, which is where I think OZHTFan is trying to put us, do know our stuff so you are getting good value for money, and I know that we know more than most of the guys that are selling this product online overseas as they are really just moving the boxes. This also brings me to my next benefit that is lost by buying online and saving a few bucks. Customer service and support. You can ask anyone who has dealt with us, and I am sure they will all say the same, we proide exccelent support for our customers. From potential problems with the player, to setup problems or even queries about setup and even for small things where people have not read the manual correctly. We glady help our customers by both mail and phone, sometimes even out of hours. Now try and get that support out of any online Hong Kong retailer. For starters you may even eat up your savings just with the international call costs, then try and understand what they are saying and get someone that actually knows what they are talking about in English. We have had so many people contact us asking if we would support their OS purchased Momitsu and were disappointed with not buying it locally. Therefore you really need to think about the whole senario, not just the obvious inital price saving. A similar example is mobile phone carriers. Telstra is probably the most expensive, but you get what you pay for. For a business that relies on the mobile service and travels around a lot, it would cost more money to your business due to intagable losses, than the savings you may receive going with another inferiour service provider. If you rely on the serice, Telstra and their higher price would always be the smart choice.

I also think hifi007 is being a bit harsh on the higher reputation equipment. Yes they have a much higher price than what most can pay for, but there is a reason for that. Its not just for rich people to show off a name. If you can honestly tell me that you cannot tell a significant difference between a common $2000 system that most would afford, compared to even a reputable $10K system that is out of some's reach, then you can not call yourself a HT enthusiast. I, and many others, would love to own such equipment and I hope to one day (I am lucky to even afford a 2K system at the moment) but I am happy for OZHTFan that he is able to have such equipment. You cant take it out on him that you are not lucky enough to be able to afford such equipment, that's just your bad luck. I do agree with you that some of this equipment is a bit to high but you have to remember the population we have. We are a fish in the sea. And when people like you get together a encourage off shore buying it only make the situation worse. So like I said before, think of the big picture.

I would just like to finish off by saying that your thoughts of a retailer making heaps of overpaid money and driving in mercs and ferraris is not always, and very rarely the case. I cannot afford many of those luxurys (but would like to), and I am only early 20s. I am not trying to make lots of money with this venture on the contray to what you may think. What we are trying to do is bring in some good HT products at reasonable prices and give the Australian HT enthusiasts (at any level) the opportunity to have access to such products that many wouldn't have access to either ever or for a long time due to our slow technology market.

Like I have stressed above, look at the big picture.

Well said Michaelf, I think you really summed up the situation.

I think its about time to put my 2 cents in. This argument between hifi007 and OZHTFan doesn't seem to be getting far.

Now firstly I agree with hifi007 on one point, we should be looking to get the best price on anything we buy, not just HT equipment. But at the same time you need to justify the savings with the benefits you loose from getting an online bargin.

The fact is to order a V880 online with shipping etc at the current exchange rate and all other associated costs, its actually closer to $400AUD. And at this stage the V880N (when its actually available) will be nowhere near $1000 as per hifi007 statement. More like $150 more then the current V880 cost, which is about on par with the pricing differnece from OS. Therefore you would save approximatly $100 or thereabouts. If you only need to return this player for warranty once (postage cost both ways) you will have already lost your savings. So first thing, at least you have a piece of mind of being able to return it to someone locally for warranty, or even out of warranty repairs for little or no cost (depending on your location).

To be honest for myself i would not order electronics fro overseas as if something goes wrong it has to be sent back overthere.

My current main system cost me just over $33,000 (Audio) and for the sake of saving 3.5 to 4k i dont have to worry about shipping items over seas should something go wrong.

My personal take is that we should be supporting local retailers as long as they do not get greedy with mark ups, which up until now has not been the case.

Most (Yes Most) importers and retailers have very very high mark ups which drive more and more people overseas which in turn increases local mark ups even more.

What we all have to remember it is large cycle that we are running.

Importer brings DVD (example only) in to country. Importer adds Hugh mark up to cover importing , holding stock and promoting product.

Retailer takes on product . Add large mark up for doing not much

Customer looks at product and price locally then checks against overseas prices

Customer feels he is paying to much and imports from over seas

Importer takes a lot longer to turn over stock as does the retailer.

Importer orders new stock at maybe 70% of the initial level this will be increasing the cost of the unit.

New Stock arrives and in some case increases in price to cover the higher buy price.

This is where the cycle starts.

I am not saying the importers or retailers are all wrong but in most cases they are greedy which hurts us all.

It's too easy to look at gross margins and get the impression that the public are being ripped off.

I've had a small business (for 2 years) which had 40% margins (the industry average in that market) and I went broke. And it wasn't due to lack of technical skills. An Indian company offered our services at half our rates.

A friend of mine also had a business where the margins looked good initially but he has ended up loosing his house (his wife as well) and with debt collectors still hounding him 2 years later.

It's a big decision to go into business especially when the financial institutions are asking for your house as collateral. Requires a very deep breath!

And the home electronics business is very competitive - with so many business willing to shave their margins.

And the prices are so visible with little to distinguish between the various sellers.

Would you pay more to buy a product from a knowledgable retailer? Or would you go down the road to the BS artist where you know you can get it cheaper?

I buy DVD's from the internet (and my beloved MX-500 came from Bluedo), but I wouldn't buy say a sub-woofer or even a DVD player on the internet.

It's a personal choice. And we're fortunate to have that choice.

I've been holding off on buying a V880 after reading about the V880N model to come. What I really want to know is will the V880N upscale video input provided to its optional input module or merely output it as DVI.

Looking at the Momitsu internet pages for the V880N I see the input module listed for release July and its supported inputs, I downloaded the V880N manual but there is nothing in it about this option.

Basically I am not bothered about the network features at all but if I could improve the quality of my PS2 consoles output then I'd like that.

well i just read about 10 pages of this thread skiped a few but this dvd player sounds alright and is a mad price.

I have a 1024 x 1024 alias plasma so I sopse 1080is dvd's would look mad on it! right???

I would also love a show of hands of WHO IS HAPPY WITH IT OVERALL.

seems like a few are undecided?

ps I sent u an email michaelf

hey michaelf will u be getting the newer version?? as I would love seeing xbox at higher resolutions if that model will indeed support this

I've been holding off on buying a V880 after reading about the V880N model to come. What I really want to know is will the V880N upscale video input provided to its optional input module or merely output it as DVI.

Looking at the Momitsu internet pages for the V880N I see the input module listed for release July and its supported inputs, I downloaded the V880N manual but there is nothing in it about this option.

Basically I am not bothered about the network features at all but if I could improve the quality of my PS2 consoles output then I'd like that.

I have been told it will upscale all inputs

Well michaelf if you stock the V880N then I will buy it from you, end of story!

I wonder how much better xbox and fox dig will look in 1080i???

I also wonder wether the picture would seem delayed in comparrison to the sound concidering my xbox is connected directly through optical out and it will be visually connected indirectly?? if ya get me

Hell yeah and for annyone interested I got an email back from Momitsu today saying "V880N can support both non-HDCP DVI and HDCP DVI devices"

Which I was happy about as if it was HDCP devices only, I would of had to use component insted of DVI and well...why settle for second best? :blink:

Hey all

I think the people waiting for the Sammy DVD player on redeption will be supprise over the next couple of days.

I received the card in the mail saying have a parcel to pick up from the post office ( I aint expecting anything else) :blink:

Can anyone confirm that the v880n will be able to accept componant input & upscale to 1080i & then output thru component.

If so , i definately want one!

Any more news on when it is available.?

Oh yeah, someone else wondered whether the audio would be out of synch with the converted video, Any Info on that?

Really looking forward to this if it does everything it says it does.

Ta

Brett

Can anyone confirm that the v880n will be able to accept componant input & upscale to 1080i & then output thru component.

If so , i definately want one!

Any more news on when it is available.?

Oh yeah, someone else wondered whether the audio would be out of synch with the converted video, Any Info on that?

Really looking forward to this if it does everything it says it does.

Ta

Brett

yeah I have been doing some reading and it should upscale component while outputting in component, However this will be with an add on.

An input module that comes seperatly will do all this. .. The cost and release of this device has not been confirmed, there was talk that it would come out about a month afer the dvd player but after the delay of it's release who knos it may come out in conjuction with the player...

It is also reprted that some online retailers have said they will offer the input moduel free, with the player hopefully us aussies get that deal also.

And yeah that was me who mentiond the lypsinking issue, it's an interesting one, it woud be hard to beleive that the audio would be pefectly insynk uness the picture is upscaled on the fly at a very rapid rate.

News just in, the v880n will be released on the 28th of june and will make it into aus at the earliest july 5th, for the rest of the update read the news just in thread in this forum :blink:

Hi All,

I am thinking of purchasing v880 or v880n. Do you know whether the widely discussed problems of v880 have been fixed.

Loader problem: do new v880s that can be purchased in Melbourne have updated loaders. So, there is no need to update the loader.

PAL/50 Hz problem: Can you achieve PAL/50Hz with v880, if custom 1:1 pixel mapping is selected for HS10.

Some people say v880 lacks detail and you would get a washed out picture? Is this correct?

Are there any other problems/issues with v880 when connected to HS10 via DVI?

Will these problems appear in v880N as well?

Do you know where to purchase a good quality DVI cable (about 5m) and an optical audio cable (about 10m) in Melbourne?

Thanks and Regards.

1. So overall are most people happy with this unit?

2. What is the build quality like?

3. What are the althernatives to this unit?

4. I know that the Samsung HD937 is available but how does it compare?

Hi

I have a V880. Build quality is fair. But the picture is great.

There is an enormous amount of information on the Momitsu on the AVS Forum. Also there are a lot of tweaks you can do which you can find on the AVS Forum. They are easy and fun to do. The benefit of some of the tweaks is dubious, but they certainly don't hurt. What IS a benefit is that the manufacturers have made available upgrades to the firmware. Much of these upgrades have come about after responding to feed back from users world-wide.

I was interested in the HD937 as well, but I've heard some rather negative feed back since it's release.