HD capable DVD Player

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks.

I note now we have dual layer DVD burners out and about.

Will this player function correctly with burnt dual layer DVD+R media, I know it does signle layer but what about dual?

Dual layer burining is my backup dream for my collection!

To my knowledge the new dual layer DVDR's are meant to be generally as compatible with standard dvd players as the single layer versions are. I'm fairly certain a very capable player like the Momitsu will handle them with ease.

http://www.dvdrw.com/press/duallayer.htm

Thanks, I know thats the theory but trawling on various backup dvd boards and the like users are experiencing compatability problems with the DL media in some DVD players.

If anyone has this player it would be nice to hear of any success and under what type of Dl media etcetc

I think you may be asking a lot as despite the new burners being available, dual layer media is still very thin on the ground. My feeling is that perhaps there are examples of the standard DVD players out there that don't handle the dual layer media well, however the momitsu is built more like a DVD-Rom drive in it's flexibility to handle different formats that normal DVD players don't. Not all that many standard DVDs like both +R/RW and -R/RW for example.

I would have suggested you look at the Momitsu forums on Hivizone.com but it appears they are currently locked. A quick search of videohelp.com indicates the 880 has not been test for DL compat. yet either. I'm going to be buying a DL burner shortly, so if you're not in a hurry I'll be able to tell you eventually...

I'm also considering buying a HD capable DVD player to match

my Sony KVHR36 but am wondering about the fact that no DVD's

(disc) are recorded at 1080 ? Is this correct?

Will there be any real benefit in a HD player (at the moment).?

When will HD discs be available? :blink:

Cheers

Marc

I'm also considering  buying a HD capable DVD player to match

my Sony KVHR36 but am wondering about the fact that no DVD's

(disc) are recorded at 1080 ? Is this correct?

Will there be any real benefit in a HD player (at the moment).?

When will HD discs be available? :blink:

Cheers

Marc

You need to read this entire thread and do some internet research on this player and what it does...

It is not an 'HD' player at all. It is an upscaling DVD player capable of outputting 720p,1080i and custom projector resolutions via it's DVI and Components outputs. If you understand the purpose of watching DVD's via a HTPC, then you will understand what the Momitsu does...

There are links to reviews elsewhere in this thread as well, you may find them useful as well.

• 2 weeks later...

yeh, I was v. keen to get the V880N, till I got a Neuston media player!

And seeing probs with the 880 dvd player and with the continued demise of the DVD. Just play the files from the HDD in your ALdi P4 stuck in another room.

Yes the neuston is a pretty tasty device. But the "continued demise of the DVD"??? you know something we don't know???

how well this dvd player can play on a 1024x1024 resolution plasma ?

1080i doesn't worry me too much as my plasma can accept both 50/60hz, i am only worry about the 720p my display only capable of playing at 60hz, which what the NTSC would output, however what happen if i play a PAL disc, would it convert it to 50hz for the 720p ? .. But as in my case, i'd better upscale to 1080i/60 to get the best PQ on my display....... But just hope somebody could solve my question

And how much i can get it by now ? Where i can buy one at a most competitive price ?

Regard

Ray

And seeing probs with the 880 dvd player and with the continued demise of the DVD.  Just play the files from the HDD in your ALdi P4 stuck in another room.

Yes the neuston is a pretty tasty device. But the "continued demise of the DVD"??? you know something we don't know???

with only the need for files to be on your HDDs, I pass on the disks (if they came on that) as they are unecessary.

With a lot of HD movies files now being available that are unplayable on any dvd player including the Momitsu V880N, just use dvd-r for backup of your favourites.

And seeing probs with the 880 dvd player and with the continued demise of the DVD.  Just play the files from the HDD in your ALdi P4 stuck in another room.

with only the need for files to be on your HDDs, I pass on the disks (if they came on that) as they are unecessary.

With a lot of HD movies files now being available that are unplayable on any dvd player including the Momitsu V880N, just use dvd-r for backup of your favourites.

and what media does your movies come on in the first place before you load onto your HDD?

and what media does your movies come on in the first place before you load onto your HDD?

as I said "on disks if they come on that" otherwise from HDDs or thru the modem. How else can you get HD versions of movies?

• 3 weeks later...

My apologies to anyone sick of hearing this...

but in lue of the release of the 880N, I want to confirm something.

Will this player output 1080i at 50Hz thru Component?

I have re-read the complete thread and this issue seems not to have a conclusive answer.

The closest answers have been - 1080i/50Hz only thru DVI and It should be fixed in the next firmware...

If anybody knows - Please confirm.

Very interested to see so much interest in a DVD player that upscales, I tested a new one last week that outputs 576p, 720p and 1080i and the picture quality was amazing, I tested on a HD 76cm widescreen CRT at 1080i via component connection and the improvement was clearly obvious, it didn't have the digital outputs but will be around half the price which I think will represent pretty good value.

I have re-read the complete thread and this issue seems not to have a conclusive answer.

The closest answers have been - 1080i/50Hz only thru DVI and It should be fixed in the next firmware...

According to Aaron from aztron (who have the v880n), the unit still DOES NOT output 50hz upconversion via component. From what I've seen so far and all the promises, I seriously doubt this will EVER happen... Have a look through this thread.. month after month the same promise and still nothing.

You could however transcode the DVI->VGA output into component and use the custom DVI output of the unit to get an upconverted 50hz component feed. As to what effects this would have on upconverted gains, I have no idea. A transcoder isnt cheap by any means though, so you may be defeating some of the pricing benefit as well as upscaled PQ benefit.

I happen to have a transcoder laying around here, so I may give it a go if I go ahead and purchase one of these units...

I'm still wondering if I need bother being as I have a RP CRT HDTV. I may wait till I upgrade to a flat panel with DVI/HDMI (which is quite a way off yet being as everytime I go to the stores to check them out, I don't see any real great picture that blows my current TV enough out of the water to bother).

The networking sounds great, but I fear the wireless and USB1.1 are bandwidth impared for DVD/VOB playback so you would probably need a direct cat5 connection to your PC/Server. I'm anxious to see real world experience from this unit (I don't think I'm going to be one of the first).

I would be keen to see what the AV input module will be like when/if it gets released.

According to Aaron from aztron (who have the v880n), the unit still DOES NOT output 50hz upconversion via component. From what I've seen so far and all the promises, I seriously doubt this will EVER happen... Have a look through this thread.. month after month the same promise and still nothing.

You could however transcode the DVI->VGA output into component and use the custom DVI output of the unit. A transcoder isnt cheap by any means though, so you may be defeating some of the pricing benefit.

I happen to have a transcoder laying around here, so I may give it a go if I go ahead and purchase one of these units...

I've visited that option myself on both my Sony and Toshiba some time ago. Unfortunately you seem to lose too much video level in the process. The picture ends up very dirgy and dark, playing with the built in level controls does not seem allow you you correct it enough either. I would have liked that method to have worked for when like at the moment my Momitsu is not connected to a projector via DVI.

What HD movie files are you talking about? At the moment the only true HD movie files are the few US release WMV-HD edition DVDs like T2 Extreme Edition and a few IMAX WMV HD editions. There is no player besides a HTPC at the moment that can support stand alone WMV-HD playback, they are still in development.

The only other 'HD' media files I've seen are US rips of TV series from HBO HD and the like encoded into DIVX and XVID files. These work brilliantly with the Momitsu.

I've visited that option myself on both my Sony and Toshiba some time ago. Unfortunately you seem to lose too much video level in the process. The picture ends up very dirgy and dark, playing with the built in level controls does not seem allow you you correct it enough either. I would have liked that method to have worked for when like at the moment my Momitsu is not connected to a projector via DVI.

Thanx for the Heads up OzHTfan... In that case I'll definately wait until a true 50hz component upscale option is available...

You could however transcode the DVI->VGA output into component and use the custom DVI output of the unit. A transcoder isnt cheap by any means though, so you may be defeating some of the pricing benefit.

What HD movie files are you talking about? At the moment the only true HD movie files are the few US release WMV-HD edition DVDs like T2 Extreme Edition and a few IMAX WMV HD editions. There is no player besides a HTPC at the moment that can support stand alone WMV-HD playback, they are still in development.

The only other 'HD' media files I've seen are US rips of TV series from HBO HD and the like encoded into DIVX and XVID files. These work brilliantly with the Momitsu.

yeh, theres a few around OzHTfan. Watched over weekend Gladiator in 1080i on three disks in fact, commercial free.. This is the way. no nonsense from chan 7 when they showed Behind last nite with ads

Have you heard of .ts files or Mpeg2 Transport Streams.

Better then recompressed Xvid or Divx files.

Real 1920x1080i 30Hz high bit rate files are easily available and look great and in more titles then you can count. :blink:

Sure they are Owen, but unlike some of the compression fans out there I don't watch DIVX/XVID files for their quality. They are quite decent when processed through FFDshow, but for me, I only use them for view O.S. series that I can't see here. I only included them in my post since some folks like to talk about the fact that they were encoded off the 1080i digital sat broadcasts and think they are HD when encoded to DIVX/VXID.

yeh, theres a few around OzHTfan. Watched over weekend Gladiator in 1080i on three disks in fact, commercial free.. This is the way. no nonsense from chan 7 when they showed Behind last nite with ads

Ted, care to elaborate, as someone who constantly scans for news on new software and hardware, I'm amazed I have not heard about a Gladiator 1080i disc based version? :blink:

There is nothing wrong with Xvid of DIVX files if there are given enough bit rate, and they can be in any resolution, including HD.

I have an Xvid copy of the Olympics opening ceremony in 1280x720p 30Hz and it looks very good.

I do full PAL resolution real time capture from Poxtel Satellite to FFVFW mpeg4 with mp3 audio and it looks as good as the original. Not that that’s anything to get excited about as Poxtel quality sucks, although it does seem to have improved a little recently.

I prefer FFVFW to Xvid or DIVX for real time capture.

Owen