HD capable DVD Player

Hi Guys,

Sorry for being a bit too subtle. What I was hinting at was getting a single cable made up that went direct from the player straight into the Sony. The fewer adapters the lesser the cost and the lesser the possibility of signal degradation.

(I have a collection of BNC to RCA converters on hand just in case. :blink: )

Regards,

Ian.

To do this properly, you would really need someone to make an

"Analogue-DVI to Component RGBHV RCA cable".

thereby bypassing the analogue DVI dongle

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian,

I bought a D15 to RCA cable for my HTPC from Audiophile in Melbourne, cost me $200 but it was 3.5m long and used broadcast quality Belkin cable. It is a massive thing with very high quality RCA connectors and works very well with my PC into the HD2 port of the Sony.

This was a custom built and tested cable.

Hi DVDHack,

I bought a D15 to RCA cable for my HTPC from Audiophile in Melbourne, cost me $200 but it was 3.5m long and used broadcast quality Belkin cable.  It is a massive thing with very high quality RCA connectors and works very well with my PC into the HD2 port of the Sony.

I was hoping that Michael may be able to organise these cables, in bulk, so that we could save some money. By the way, I wanted to go from DVI to RCA and not DB15 to RCA, that way we also lose the DVI to DB15 converter.

Regards,

Ian.

Hi DVDHack,
I bought a D15 to RCA cable for my HTPC from Audiophile in Melbourne, cost me $200 but it was 3.5m long and used broadcast quality Belkin cable.  It is a massive thing with very high quality RCA connectors and works very well with my PC into the HD2 port of the Sony.

I was hoping that Michael may be able to organise these cables, in bulk, so that we could save some money. By the way, I wanted to go from DVI to RCA and not DB15 to RCA, that way we also lose the DVI to DB15 converter.

Regards,

Ian.

I hope you understand the subtle difference between analogue and digital DVI. Both share the same physical interface, but the pin outs are different.

Merely specifying DVI creates a 50% chance of getting the wrong cable.

So we have a rumor about the next generation Momitsu:-

Only know the V880N will be out in about 4 months according to rumours.

The best thing about this player is the inclusion of analogue inputs to allow A/D conversion and scaling, although if it is just a composite input it will be pretty useless.

Interesting :blink:

Hi all,

Just a quick update to let everyone know what's happening.

The players are on their way. We should hopefully have them by the end of the week or early next week.

I will forward all details to all those who have registered their interest as soon as they arrive.

If you are interested in these players and have not yet registered your interest, please email me so I can add you to our list.

Also a note on the 50Hz issue, the manufacturer is in the process of developing a new firmware to allow 50Hz playback for PAL DVDs. Hopefully they will have this completed for us soon. I will post any info as I receive it.

Thanks

OK Guys. They are finally here and ready to go, as from tomorrow.

I have emailed all those who registered their interest in the player with all the details. If you are interested in getting one of these and did not receive my email, please email me again and I will reply with all the required details.

They look pretty good. I will not post my review as yet as I am a little busy at the moment, but as soon as I get some time I hope to post a full review for you all, or if anyone buys one I am sure we will all be happy to hear your opinion.

Please note: We only have a very small quantity left at this stage (15-20) so if you want to get one before Christmas, get in early.

Also, for those who are interested, as I forgot to mention in my email, we will be initially carrying the DVI-DVI cables, VGA-VGA cables and DVI-VGA adaptors. We shoudl have stock of these by next week at the latest.

We can get various other types of cables if there is a large enough requirement from customers.

Thanks

after reading this thread i feel pretty amazed about how easily people can be mislead. Why would you honestly want a dvd player output a signal higher then what a dvd disc actually has. So, by the way your talking, u are suggesting that i can get better then 576 horizontal line interlaced picture, from a source that has a max. of 540 horizontal lines. Cause in my thinking, u cant polish a turd.......... sorry for the terminolgy but straight to the point....lol. It may upscale to a higher output, but does this actually improve the quality?????? It's like a mp3, once u compress it, u cant improve it by uncompressing it!

some one please prove me wrong but????

QUALITY,

seeing is believing.

On the scaler I use makes a good dvd look almost HD. Pirates of Carribean, S.W.A.T. - fantastic!

Superbits & Bad Boys 2 (mastered in HD), just too much.

Pay TV on some chans looks DVD quality, more so (& on more channels) with the new satellite.

The scaler in the Momitsu 88N due out soon is accessible thru various inputs.

QUALITY,

seeing is believing.

On the scaler I use makes a good dvd look almost HD. Pirates of Carribean, S.W.A.T. - fantastic!

Pay TV on some chans looks DVD quality, more so (& on more channels) with the new satellite.

Ted, what scaler do you use ... and how much did it cost?

after reading this thread i feel pretty amazed about how easily people can be mislead. Why would you honestly want a dvd player output a signal higher then what a dvd disc actually has. So, by the way your talking, u are suggesting that i can get better then 576 horizontal line interlaced picture, from a source that has a max. of 540 horizontal lines. Cause in my thinking, u cant polish a turd.......... sorry for the terminolgy but straight to the point....lol. It may upscale to a higher output, but does this actually improve the quality?????? It's like a mp3, once u compress it, u cant improve it by uncompressing it!

You probably need to have a serious read about the v880 at

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdispla...p?s=&forumid=18

QUALITY,

seeing is believing.

On the scaler I use makes a good dvd look almost HD.  Pirates of Carribean, S.W.A.T. - fantastic!

Ted, what scaler do you use ... and how much did it cost?

http://www.cypress.com.tw/product.php?PId=...%20Scalers&SR=0

CSC-1100A / Video Scaler with Y-Pb-Pr output

Wesco will get it in. Fella I traded for it from got it from there.

The much cheaper Vivid TV box that has DVI output as well as PC Sub doesn't compare though performed well on lo qual source..

Read the review on KeohiHDTV.com to get a better idea of the benefits of scaling. Also speak to any of the people who use HTPCs for their home theater to play DVDs. There is a difference when you scale DVD resolution up to higher one, you not *add* any detail that wasn't there before but rather make it appear smoother overall. There is a point of dimishing return of course, I wouldn't really expect someone with a 68cm display or less to be able to make out much difference. But when you're using a 57" rear projection set or projecting a 120" image from a projector like I have, it's more than a subtle effect.

read more specifically about the Momitsu and it's scaling here:

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/videodevice...background.html

and the HTPC forum on AVSForum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdispla...p?s=&forumid=26

The much cheaper Vivid TV box that has DVI output as well as PC Sub doesn't compare though performed well on lo qual source..

How much did you get it for?

Anywhere I can get it from? ... what's Wesco?

Hi all,

Just a quick update to let everyone know what's happening.

The players are on their way. We should hopefully have them by the end of the week or early next week.

I will forward all details to all those who have registered their interest as soon as they arrive.

If you are interested in these players and have not yet registered your interest, please email me so I can add you to our list.

Also a note on the 50Hz issue, the manufacturer is in the process of developing a new firmware to allow 50Hz playback for PAL DVDs. Hopefully they will have this completed for us soon. I will post any info as I receive it.

Thanks

Hi michaelf,

Any more news on the 50Hz issue?

How much did you get it for?

Anywhere I can get it from? ... what's Wesco?

I done a trade for it so can't give you a precise figure.

Wesco is local distributor SHould have been discussed here on forum. try wesco.com.au.

maybe worth going for new model Momitsu 880N that has scaler builtin.

Hi,everyone,

I picked up a Momitsu from Michaels.On the 50hz subject.The bios doesnt work so they arnt using it.

The guy at the shop said top me it wouldnt make a difference with my projector only TVs.Anyone know if this is true.

On too first impressions.

The image looks a little sharper compared too my Sony 730p.But the colours are awfully dull.I havnt calibrated it or anything but i must say

the sony produces the better image out of the box.

I run the Momitsu at 1080i and 720p.Native resolution of my projector is

720p.My projector states 1080i from the momitsu as HD60.On my Toshiba

HDbox it states it as HD50.Im guessing this is for 50 and 60 hz respectively.

Also in DVI mode i have no colour adjustment from the projector menues.

Regards

Mark

Might wait till they get the 50Hz/60Hz issue resolved before I take a look at one of these. My pj can do 480i/p @ 50/60Hz, 576i/p @ 50/60Hz, 720i/p @ 50/60Hz and 1080i @ 50/60Hz - so the Hz is the problem.

But what I'm not happy about is when playing PAL disks they will be converted to NTSC - Bugger, would much rather have the native transport as I now have with my Harmony G1599.

I also picked up a Momitsu V880 late yesterday afternoon from Com-Tek (Michael's store). I was also using it to replace a Sony DVP NS730P. My display is a Sony PFM-B1 (42" 1024 x 1024). I'm connecting it via DVI socket, DVI/VGA Adaptor, VGA socket.

My first impressions are that it has a lot of potential but also a lot of issues.

(1) Despite the claims of the sales staff, the Bios is about 2 flashes behind the 8 ball. HOWEVER, having done a search around the various internet HT forums, opinion is divided as to the merits of upgrading the firmware. Some highly recommend it, some indicate that it results in greater instability. There are also some horror stories as to the flashing process - ie. don't use the DVI cable for that. I would love some advice from other users as to what firmware they are using so as to possibly fix some issues below.

(2) Manual - The Manual is terrible, but the player is reasonably easy to set up. I did have a few moments of panic before I realised that you have to set it up with component first and THEN switch it to DVI in the menu. You can't just plug in DVI from the get go.

(3) Video- My Sony 730P sometimes suffered from juddering on some disks with progressive (and the top half of the screen covered with a thin film of white interference on black background), so I often had to switch the progressive off. There is no such problem with this player. The image is crystal clear. If you have a HD set top box - the best analogy is the SD picture upgraded to 1080i - ie. a very sharp picture indeed. In fact, truth be told, (and depending on the source) it's pretty much equivalent to Nine's HD movies - film like. Colour is marginally less vivid than the Sony 730P, but that could be due to the settings and also be rectified by future firmware, which I believe saturates the colour far more.

(4) Video - The Momitsu appears to play media in the original ratio - ie. 'Simpsons' episodes will be in a 4:3 ratio on my widescreen plasma, with massive black bars on the sides. Anyone have any idea of how to fix this and get it to automatically stretch the picture, like every other DVD player ...?

(5) Audio - There is a problem on some disks with Lip Synching. Maybe happened on 1 out of 10? Generally happened with the handful of disks in my collection that were bought in shop stalls overseas. Although it has happened on some Region 4 Originals, like 'The Warriors' - which pretty much is chopped up.

(6) Video/Audio - As above, there is a problem with 'choppiness' on some disks.

(7) Compatability - The Momitsu plays an impressive range of media (including some Japanese CD ROMs that I could not previously play on any DVD player or computer), but has some eccentricities - eg: RCE Coded Region 1 disks like 'Panic Room' refuse to play on Region 0 and the player must be set to Region 1 in the set up menu. A select few others appear to refuse to play at all.

Summary.

Pleased with the picture in general terms, however the player does have some quirks. I desperately want to know what firmware is best. Should I install the November one or the December one? Or leave it as is?