HD capable DVD Player

Hi Guys,

This is my first post. Ive read this whole thread with alot of interest. Recently I purchased a Sanyo PLV-Z1 16:9 Widescreen projector. It is cabable of doing 480i, 575i, 480p, 575p, 720p, 1035i and 1080i resolutions.

So this DVD player looks very good!! I would be interested in the non DVI model as my sanyo only has component inputs on the back of it...

One question though: If DVD's are only encoded to run at say 575i how does "upscaling" the image to say 1080i make it better???

Isnt it the same if i had say a jpg image that was taken in 640x480 and I blew it up to 1024x768 it would look horriable!! Could someone explain how upping the image from a source that is lower can make an improvement in picture quality?

Thanks guys this forum is awesome :blink:

Brisbane_guy.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 of Roys Players (NeoNeo) and I can confirm the shipped price is $300.00AU via DHL takes about 5 days to get to Australia..

I have 3 firmwares for this player including the 576P version and the codes for macrovison removal.

Hi Wayne 7497

When playing a PAL DVD, and the player is set to upconvert/output the signal to 720p or 1080i, is the output signal selectable at 50Hz or 60Hz, or is it fixed permanently at one or the other?

Also, I'm presuming the 576p output is at 50Hz - can you confirm.

Thanks.

Peter

I've also had confirmation from Greg Snow in the UK (via AVSFORUM), who owns an 880, and he also confirmed that output is ONLY at 60Hz.

For me, this eliminates the V880 from consideration, as it would be doing 50 frame to 60 frame pulldown (pullup? regressive scan?). The consequence *must* be missed or "tweened" or repeated frames, which would degrade picture quality.

I'll be *very* happy to be proved wrong on this, as otherwise the player sounds the bees knees...

Indulis

:blink:

Just got my Momitsu direct from HK today. Will be trying it on various displays, starting with my new Sony 86cm and my Toshiba 57". Will aim to hook it up to the Sony 12HT projector on the weekend, which is where it will live.

Can you write up a review after you've done your testing esp regarding the visible differences over a progressive scan player and comparison with nine's HDTV. I'm also particluarly interested in the results from the Tosh and projector.

By the way how much did you get it for?

Also, where has michaelf gone. Hasn't posted on this thread for some time.

Hi everyone.

Sorry havn't posted for a while. I have been a little busy organising things.

I have some news. We have finalised all issues with the suppliers and we are going ahead with the order. We are now just waiting for them to send us their invoice and details and then we will make payment. After payment is received, we will have the units within 7 days, they say.

I am assuming this should all be wrapped up and order processed etc probably by the 2nd week of November (next week is a bad week here in Melbourne because of the Melbourne cup and a lot of people having time off, including myself). That would mean that we should have the players in our store, tested, with C-tick approvals, ready for sale by the end of November, early December, just in time for a great Christmas present for yourself.

We will also attempt to obtain some DVI-VGA adaptors to also sell with the players for those who require them as an option.

We have ordered 30 units to start off with so we can test them out and see how they go. At this stage we have organised a change over warranty senario where we will swap the unit (if we have one in stock) with a customer if its found to be faulty, and then we will send it back to manufacturer for replacement of our own stock. This normally seems to work well, and we will attempt to maintain our stock levels for this purpose.

The players will be priced at $469RRP but for all DBA forum members we will do a special price of $450. This is the same cost as buying it from Hivizone, but without the international warranty headaches, without having to wait for delivery, and you can see before you buy. As you have seen on this thread, there are cheaper alternatives to this DVD player, but remember they do not have all the same features. No other DVD player has the same capabilities and functionality of this player.

You will also be able to come into our small showroom and see the player on display before you buy. If you are interested and have not yet emailed me registering your interest, please do. We have only ordered 30 to begin with and we have lots of interest, so get in early.

As soon as we receive our shipment, i will notify all those who emailed me with registered interest to inform of our details. I will also post a full review here of the unit.

Thanks

For Ritesh and anyone else who would like to know, I will contact all those who have email me with interest in this player as soon as they are ready for sale, with all the required information. At this stage it looks like the sales will be based out of our store in Nth Melbourne, but as I said all the information will be provided to all who have registered their interest when the players are ready.

Thanks

Can you write up a review after you've done your testing esp regarding the visible differences over a progressive scan player and comparison with nine's HDTV.  I'm also particluarly interested in the results from the Tosh and projector.

By the way how much did you get it for?

Love to do a full on review, but at the moment I don't know where I'm going to get the time. I not sure even how much time I'll have this weekend. I'm going through a very busy work period at the moment which is going to run through the next few weeks.

As it is It would be rather impractical to compare an upscaled DVD image to the NINE HD loop. It's more practical to compare apples with apples. I'm going to focus on the difference between the Momitsu and my high-end DVD, on the Toshiba display and maybe if I get time the Sony KVHR. The big test when I get the proper breakout cable organised will be with the 12HT projector, that's where you're going to see the fine detail.

The cost was HK$300 with shipping.

Hi OzHTFan,

Can you confirm that you paid HK$300 for this unit? According to my calculations this means that you paid about A$55 for the thing!!! If this is correct then can you start a business and sign me up as your first client!

Regards,

Ian.

I can smell a christmas present coming along!

Hey Michael, what sort of displays will you have running in shop for us to view it on? I'm getting in a Z2 and would like to see some form of display working with the momitsu at 720p before buying.

PS: Are you thinking of offering any sort of DVI connector/cable accessories?

Other great features include multizone, playback of almost all video & media formats ( DVD-R, DVD-RW, VCD, SVCD, DVD-Audio, HDCD requires decoder, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3, CD, JPEG, DivX). NTSC-to-PAL and PAL-to-NTSC converters, firmware upgradeable and has all the standard outputs that you would expect such as coax and optical for audio, and the ones you won't use, composite, svideo and 2 channel audio outputs.

Can you confirm DVD-Audio & HDCD? Hifizone does not mention these.

Hi michaelf, could you answer my earlier questions:

1. Is there a noticeable difference between 720p/1080i thru DVI and 720p/1080i thru component. If so, how much visible difference is there between the 2 outputs. Additionally how much visible difference is there between this and a 576p signal from an expensive dvd player such as the Phillips 963

2. As all owners of widescreen TV knows, you need to switch between 16:9 and 4:3 using your TV remote when watching material from DVD that is 16:9 and 4:3 respectively. Say for example if you are watching a movie you need to swith to 16:9 and then when you want to view the extras (which are usually 4:3) you need to switch back to 4:3. My question is, does this player automatically scale the correct aspect ratio? ... The DGTEC 2000A does this I've found -- 16:9 material in 16:9 and 4:3 material in 4:3 (no switching)

3. Is there a zoom function on this machine. If so, how many steps of zooming does it have?

Thanks

Sorry for being thick, but isn't 576p the best option for PAL DVDs?  At any other format the picture must be rescaled.  While rescaling artifacts at 1080i are probably minimal, you're sacrificing progressive for interlaced.  Am I missing something?

Hey Paul,

Are you the bloke who yelled out that the Emperor was wearing no clothes??

Thanks for the note of sanity.

If I was gonna "scale up" 576i or 576p, what would likely have the better electronics, a $300 DVD player or a $10,000 projector, ummmmm.

Hi OzHTFan,

Can you confirm that you paid HK$300 for this unit? According to my calculations this means that you paid about A$55 for the thing!!! If this is correct then can you start a business and sign me up as your first client!

Regards,

Ian.

Just looked at the invoice in the box...must have been $USD after I looked at the website, my mistake.

Did my first test of the machine with a Sony 12HT projector via component input and utilising the 720p and 1080i modes. I didn't have the right cables to try the DVI-VGA-RGBHV config which would have allowed me to try displaying the projectors native 1366x768 mode. Am aiming to try this today after a trip to Jaycar. I watch a few scenes from the Two Towers and about an hour of the movie Confidence. Picture-wise I found 1080i looked sensational and 720p was ok. One thing I did notice was an effect that perterbed me similar to one I've seen on on my HTPC system playing DVDs. At 1080i there seems to be a problem with panning shots, like a shudder caused by dropping frames. the was very evident in the first scene of Two Towers, when the camera flys into the mountain. I didn't verify this effect with 720p , but will try it today.

More feedback:

Ok, today I setup the Momitsu via the DVI output into the my Sony 12HT via the RGBHV input. Before doing so I checked out the latest firmware, turns out despite my player only arriving the other day, it's firmware was still not up to date. The custom 1366x768 res for Pana and Sony projectors wasn't there, so I promptly did the update and voila new modes. The first film DVD I tested it with was Matrix Reloaded, I didn't play with levels really before watching it, because I had a bunch of people wanting a demo of my system. It looked great pretty good to say the least compared to yesterdays 720p and 1080i tests. However, after that I finally got some time to tweak, the brightness,contrast, and RGB enhancement (sharpness). After that I watched Confidence, which contains some very nice test scenes with shadow and also some nice colours through the film. My end findings were that it's the cleanest, smoothest, and most detailed result I've scene through my projector to date. As you can gather I'm pretty darn impressed with the results, especially when looking at the price, I'd have spent significantly more for the results and have done so to achieve less in my other DVD players. One thing I can say as well is, I think the best results with this unit are achieved using the DVI output and custom proj. modes. as per what the review on KeohiHDTV says.

I don't know how long before I can test the other displays with this player, but I think it will be a little while, the projector is at another location from my other 2 displays and I've left it there for the next few days.

Hi everyone. Just thought I would answer the last few questions while I'm here.

Nobby, I am not sure as yet of the types of displays we will be using in our showroom for demo as we are a little limited for space but we will definatly have the facilitys to demo HD formats including 720p via both the component and DVI interfaces. We will probably be using LCD monitors but not 100% sure yet. We also hope to use an LCD with a DVI input for pure DVI digital connection.

We are also looking at getting in the DVI-VGA adaptors and some other accessories to sell with the players also, but we will know more when the players arrive.

GarryH I can confirm that these players unfortunatly do not have the decoders for HDCD or DVD-A. These players are more directed to home theatre than audio.

StarDrifter, to answer your earlier questions, we havn't recieved our shipment yet so we havn't been able to do much testing at this stage, but from what we have seen and from our research and reviews we have found, there is a very noticable difference using DVI for 720p/1080i rather than component, but how much depends on your display device. If your display device can accept a straight DVI input then the quality difference will be enourmance because it will be pure digital to digital but if you use the DVI-VGA adapter, the quality is still noticably better but it will depend on your display for how much better.

I am not 100% sure on the question on the 16:9 to 4:3 scaling or the zoom functions but as soon as they arrive I will do some tests and let you know.

John_Barber, you are correct. If you had a $10,000 display device that could do the upscaling then yes, you would use that instead. But you can still benefit from this player as if you have a $10,000 projector I would assume you made sure it had a DVI-D input. Therefore you can use this player to output the DVD via DVI for digital to digital interface (best quality) at native DVD resolution and then let the projector upscale and display the digital signal.

Also, I would just like to thank OZHTfan. Everyone should look at his review posts here as this is the kind of responses we are finding about this player everywhere. For all interested in buying one, remember drop me an email to register your interest and we will get back to you when they are in stock.

Thanks

OzHTfan

One thing I did notice was an effect that perterbed me similar to one I've seen on on my HTPC system playing DVDs. At 1080i there seems to be a problem with panning shots, like a shudder caused by dropping frames. the was very evident in the first scene of Two Towers, when the camera flys into the mountain.

Can you confirm this is still a problem with this player since updating the firmware?

Thankyou OzHTfan for the honest review of this unit, generally people don't like to talk about warts on products they have paid for untill after the the cost of buying the product has long been forgotten. I think most people try to convince themselves they haven't wasted their money.

Spearmint