HD capable DVD Player

indulis,

As I explained in earlier posts, i have confirmation from the manufacturers that a PAL disc will output HD video @ 50Hz.

Michael Thanks For answering those questions however...

Its fine that it outputs a PAL DVD at 1080i@50hz thats great but 1/2 my dvd collection is NTSC so am I to assume that when it detects a NTSC DVD it will revert back to 1080i@60hz???

Cos if thats the case then I couldnt watch any of my NTSC DVD's in 1080i mode on my Panasonic 100A becase it doesnt support 60hz??? Or am I missing something...??

By the way the 576P option is EXTREMELY easy to impliment in the firmware I have 2 versons here of the firmware which took Sigma only 3 days to implimnet for me... So they can do it and it doesnt cost much..Manowa would be getting the firmwre from Sigma anyhow...

There is also a custom setting as well in some of the old firmwares that used to allow MANUAL setting changes on 1080i and 576 ...

Im sure they could easily implement all this stuff for next to nothing... Alas 576P isnt the be end of all but would complete it as the most compatible..

Wayne

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I got a reply- still not 100% clear but I think that this means that if you put in a a 50Hz PAL DVD, you can select to play it as 50Hz PAL or 60Hz NTSC. Neat!!!

------------------Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, October 13, 2003 10:54 PM

To: Manowa Techsupport

Subject: RE: Momitsu DVD V-880 50Hz PAL DVDs- converted to 60Hz at

1080i?

Thanks for your reply, Sorry, I didn't understand your answer.

If I put a 50Hz PAL DVD in the V880 player, will it:

a) only play at 50Hz

:blink: only play at 60Hz

c) user can select to play to 50Hz or 60Hz

Can you please tell me if a, b, or c is correct.

--------------------reply below----------------------------------

Dear Indulis:

If I put a 50Hz PAL DVD in the V880 player, will it:

1) play at 50Hz PAL

2) play at 60Hz NTSC

3) user can select to play to (1) or (2)

Thank you

Manowa Techsupport

hi guys,

I ordered a Lite-On LVD-2001 standalong PS DVD player this morning from a wholesaler for $299ex.

It has the sigma chip and all the features of the other players yet i dont have to get it imported or anything. cant wait to get it tomorrow. has anyone else here got this player?

cheers

Hi Guys. Discussions still running, now direct with the manufacturer instead on through a supplier so hopefully better prices. Will hopefully have all things sorted and details relayed to all interested people by the end of the week.

In response to a few recent posts, I have confirmation, but I will confirm again to make, as well as confirm by my own testing once I have the test unit to play with, that all DVDs can be played back at 50Hz in any video mode, including HD resolutions, by selecting PAL as the video output mode or @ 60Hz by selecting NTSC so this should answer most people's concerns. I will confirm this myself, as I said, as soon as I receive my test unit. I will also confirm whether the players can be upgraded from the manufacturer to support 576i and 576p as they do not as standard.

In regards to the Lite-on player, I have also looked at this unit as its considerably cheaper but I the unit has two main issues that detered me from it. One is it has no DVI output which a lot of people seem to want. Also I have seen quite a few complaints about the quality of the unit and general problems with movies freezing and discs not reading properly etc. Also it states that it will only play copy protected movies in 480p unless run thorugh the DVI/HDCP output, which it doesn't have anyway. But I am interested to hear bullet_tooth's opinion or review of it when it arrives.

Thanks

NevB,

I'm in adelaide and ive purcashed it from one of my wholesalers here as im a reseller.

If you google "LVD-2001" you will find that it is widely available in australia from online retailers. the cheapest ive seen it is about $341.

hope that helped.

bullet_tooth: im from Adelaide as well, is there any chance i can grab one or two off you for $299 each? =)

I have a few questions regarding HD:

- Do the HD signals of 720p/1080i look the same for PAL upconverted material and NTSC upconverted material since they are the same resolution as opposed to PAL(576p) and NTSC(480p)

- If so, does this mean that in the future, there will be a universal video standard of HD instead of the PAL/NTSC systems that exist today?

- Do the HD signals of 720p/1080i look the same for PAL upconverted material and NTSC upconverted material since they are the same resolution as opposed to PAL(576p) and NTSC(480p)

- If so, does this mean that in the future, there will be a universal video standard of HD instead of the PAL/NTSC systems that exist today?

Pal upconverted will look better than NTSC upconverted due to the increased number of vertical lines in PAL. Better original resolution (576) for upconversion.

NTSC will look softer than PAL when both are upconverted to 1080i or 720p.

As far as a universal HD standard is concerned, the world seems to be settling on either 1080i or 720p but we can't escape from legacy frame rates and field rates. That's why we have 50Hz and 60Hz versions of 1080i and 720p.

There is a universal PRODUCTION standard of 1080p@24Hz which is the same frame rate as film - ie 24 frames per second. This is used for features, dramas etc, but not sport as the frame rate is too low. You need 50 or 60 updates per second for better motion rendition of sport.

1080p@24Hz is simply sped up to 25 for 1080i/50, and for 1080i/60 a 3:2 sequence is added to pad out the frames from 24 to 60.

Craig.

This player still has no DVI though. Looks very similar to the Maestro. Its cheap for under $300 but i think you will still need to include shipping on that, plus warranty returns will be back to the US. Not really a great solution.

I finally have some news for all those interested in the Momitsu. We have finally been able to stike a deal with Momitsu to import and resell these players here in Australia from our Melbourne based store. We will also be covering warrenties but there are a few little things we are working out before we close the deal, which should be by early next week (when an order will be put through).

I can tell you though that we should be able to, all things going well, keep the retail sale price at well under $500, hopefully around the $450 mark.

Although the deal its not yet set in concrete, its pretty close, so for all those who are interested in making a pre order at this price, please email me and let me know which city you are in. Obviously if you from Melbourne you will be able to come in and see the player for yourself and pick it up. But if you are from interstate we can organise a delivery for you.

Again, please email me, rather than posting here, your pre order interest so as I can keep a record.

We also may get the Maestro models that are almost identical in functionality with the Momitsu, only they have no DVI out for a cheaper price (possibly around the $400 mark) so if you are also interested in this if you would rather save money than have a DVI output, also email me with preorder requests.

Thanks

Thanks

I for one will be keeping an eye out for any reviews on these products be fore making any decision. I have an 8808 which can do 1080i @ 60hz which means I will then be able to take full advantage of this set. (If only this could be achieved with STB's.)

Michael at one stage you were asking about a shop and how we would feel about it.

Another advantage of having a shop (beyond warranty and such) is that you'll be able to set things up so we can come in and SEE the difference. This would be a big bonus. It would certainly be the deciding factor on whether I made a purchase or not.

So..... what displays do you think you'll have running at the shop if any? And do you have some sort of ball park timeline of when the shop would open? Like mid November, Mid December, early 2004?

I have a couple more qustions about this player.

1. Is there a noticeable difference between 720p/1080i thru DVI and 720p/1080i thru component. If so, how much visible difference is there between the 2 outputs. Additionally how much visible difference is there between this and a 576p signal from an expensive dvd player such as the Phillips 963

2. As all owners of widescreen TV knows, you need to switch between 16:9 and 4:3 using your TV remote when watching material from DVD that is 16:9 and 4:3 respectively. Say for example if you are watching a movie you need to swith to 16:9 and then when you want to view the extras (which are usually 4:3) you need to switch back to 4:3. My question is, does this player automatically scale the correct aspect ratio? ... The DGTEC 2000A does this I've found -- 16:9 material in 16:9 and 4:3 material in 4:3 (no switching)

3. Is there a zoom function on this machine. If so, how many steps of zooming does it have?

I have 2 of Roys Players (NeoNeo) and I can confirm the shipped price is $300.00AU via DHL takes about 5 days to get to Australia..

I have 3 firmwares for this player including the 576P version and the codes for macrovison removal.

What is the overall build quality of these units? What is the picture like at 1080i@60Hz ?

I have a Toshiba SD2600, will I notice a big difference in picture quality on a 32pw8808?

Have you had them long and what quirks have you found?

[What is the overall build quality of these units? What is the picture like at 1080i@60Hz ?

I have a Toshiba SD2600, will I notice a big difference in picture quality on a 32pw8808?

Have you had them long and what quirks have you found?

Good to see Wayne7497, I too second a notion for a Review of these players too...

please comment on such things as build quality, ease of use, features, video output quality, how it handles different files! sound output etc.etc.

Thanks.

Build Quality is EXCELLENT is the same player as the ELTA 8882 sold all over Europe. (EXACTLY the same and that firmware works as well)

1080i@60HZ is excellent .. I can only use it on my DLP as my Pana 86/100a doesnt support 1080i@60 only 50hz..

Handled every file I threw at it..couldnt fault it...

Pretty fully featured..

Sounds is EXCELLENT..

Full featured remote..

Only fault I could find is little slow on startup ..

thats about it...