HD capable DVD Player

Hi Guys,

I have managed to find a supplier for these great DVD players.

Its a Momitsu DVD-V880. I beleive there have been some comments in here about them, and lots of followers on other forums around the world. It is a great unit. Most reviews I have read say they blow away expensive $2000+ players like Marantz, Denon and even Krell, yet they are very affordable.

How and Why are they so special you ask?

Well they can play any standard normal DVD at HD resolutions, 420p, 720p and 1080i. Not to mention custom resolutions for plasmas and projectors that require custom res and timings for best pic quality.

The other great feature is the new DVI-I output. This means that you can either use it with a DVI-VGA adaptor into a HD compatible display with VGA input for superior pic quality over component, or straight digital DVI to a digital DVI capable HD display. This means pure, digital pic quality. And the great thing is, the DVI output is not HDCP enabled meaning you don't need to have a HDCP enabled display to use it. (HDCP is a new form of video piracy protection. Just about all other DVD players released with DVI output are HDCP enabled, meaning that if your display is not HDCP enabled, it won't accept the signal)

And yes it has component outputs fo those displays that do not have DVI or VGA, and yes component can output at HD resolutions (420p, 720p & 1080i) to a HD compatible display. All with no macrovision protection. (Macrovision protection is removed from the player from factory enabling all DVDs to be played at HD resolutions via component video. All other players such as this, are macrovision protected, limiting macrovision enabled DVD movies to 420p via component)

Other great features include multizone, playback of almost all video & media formats ( DVD-R, DVD-RW, VCD, SVCD, DVD-Audio, HDCD requires decoder, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3, CD, JPEG, DivX). NTSC-to-PAL and PAL-to-NTSC converters, firmware upgradeable and has all the standard outputs that you would expect such as coax and optical for audio, and the ones you won't use, composite, svideo and 2 channel audio outputs.

These players, or anything like it are not available in this country, so this is coming from overseas. But the great thing is the power supply is variable meaning that it can be connected, with the correct Aus plug, directly into our power sockets at 240v. The only bad thing is it doesn't come with an Aus power cord, but the power cord is just a standard detachable 2 pin cord and you can pick up an Aus one from just about anywhere (DS, Tandy etc)

As I said, this DVD player or anything like it, that can output standard DVDs at up to 1080i, are not available in this country. Samsung have the 931 coming at the end of the year, but no multizone, no macrovion removed, and most importantly, no HD output via component and HDCP is enabled via the DVI output. Also the DVI output is DVI-D, meaning it can't be converted with an adaptor to a VGA display input.

This is, in tems of features/functionality and price range probably one of the best DVD players on the market in the world. And the sad thing is, it will probably never reach our stores.

Imagine watching your current DVD collection in HD resolutions. I have read reports that in 1080i, it is barely under what channel 9 HD shows produce. Thats amazing. Even at worst, this player will hold us off until blu-ray is mainstram, which won't be for a while yet.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in this player I am ordering a few, and the more I order the better prices I can get. I can't give definite prices right now as it depends on how many I order, but I can tell you it will be around the $450 mark delivered.

Let me know if you're interested so I know the numbers and can get the best price off the supplier.

If you want any further info, or pictures, let me know and I can email it to you.

Also note that the unit is fully tested before it is shipped, and it comes with a 1 year warrenty that is return to base (Hong Kong) but I have not seen these units to have many problems anyway.

Also note that you will need to purchase the power cable as it only comes with a euro cable, but I know that they are readily available and are very cheap. Also the DVI-VGA adaptor is optional and can be found at most computer stores here for around $15 or so.

Those who are interested in buying one, let me know ASAP as these units will be arriving by the end of this month.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

spearmint,

They will be sent to your designated address, so it depends on which state you live in.

Shipping damages will be covered under the shipping insurance, but warrenty problems will be covered by the manufacturer and you will need to send it to them.

I am just doing this as I can get a good price, apparently, if I buy a few, so if we get together we can get one at a good saving.

Are you interested?

I've also had my eye on the Momitsu due to it's DVI support and lack of HDCP on the DVI port..

My only real concern with the player is the lack of PAL 576 output.. Given it converts PAL to NTSC, is it going to convert a PAL 576 line DVD to NTSC 480? Not sure if my current TV would cope with that (I haven't got myself an HDTV just yet, but have had my eye on this player for when I do get one).

I also considered the Bravo D1, but apparently the Composite output is lousy and the only time the output looks great is when using DVI.

-Auldar

michaelf

I was real keen until I read auldar's reply

My only real concern with the player is the lack of PAL 576 output.. Given it converts PAL to NTSC, is it going to convert a PAL 576 line DVD to NTSC 480?

Will need to do some more investigation on this, and how this will affect the image.

Spearmint

This product sounds interesting so I have done some googling.

There is a review of the Momitsu V880 here , but I don't know how unbiased it is.

The unit generally seems to get good reports.

Some of the overseas forums talk about the Momistu V880, and there have been a few bugs, but nothing too serious. One forum mentions that the custom DVI mapping isn't enabled so they can't get the unit to show 1.1 pixel mapping on high res capable displays like the Sony HS10 projector.

The V880 doesn't output 576p, but if you have a display device capable of accepting 1080i I don't think this is an issue.

You can order them directly from the Hivizone (HK) site although the site says they are awaiting new stock this month. It is listed at US$229 +$71 shipping for 1 unit, which works out at about $450 aussie.

Overall, it seems worth considering.

"Heads Up" comrades - looks like there is a "Euro" version of this interesting DVD player which also has a SCART output option as well! :blink:

I wonder which one will be sent to Oz ??? (Now that would be a 'bonus' for me and a few other old timers who have set-ups including both RCA YUV component & RGB "Euro SCART")

Ex: < http://www.manowa.com.tw/dvdplayer880.html >

Output Terminals

* DVI x1 (with HDCP, Digital Only)

* S-video x1

* Composite Video x1

* Component (Y/Pb/Pr) video outputs x1

* SCART output x1 (Option for Europe market)

* Built-in Headphone x1 output with volume control.

* Coaxial output x1 and Optical digital output x1

* Stereo audio output x2

Facinating,

Jet :ph34r:

Hi Guys,

I am waiting for a response about the 576p issue. I beleive it should still do 576i as it can output a PAL signal but I am confirming that. I am also confirming the scan rate at which is outputs the 720p or 1080i signal, whether it upscans to 60Hz or whether it can output at 50Hz.

As smoothchat stated, the fact of it not doing 576p is probably irrelevant as people who are going to get this DVD are going to want it for its 720p and 1080i outputs, otherwise you can get any other progressive scan DVD player with DVI output. The main feature here being the HD output.

From what I have read and seen, the internal scaler is apparently very good, especially using the DVI output. And to answer peter's question, it still can upscale the image outputted via the DVI interface, or you can leave it DVD native. The options are all in the menus.

There is the Bravo D1 going around which is similar to this player, however there are two major differences. Firstly the Bravo is region locked to region 1, and as far as I am aware there is not upgrade yet. Secondly it has macrovision enabled, so for macrovision enabled DVD movies, playback via component video will be limited to 480p.

In answer to confoozed comment about the custom mapping of the DVI output, I have spoken to the supplier and they say that the latest firmware has the custom mapping included and works, as I also saw these complaints in overseas forums.

The review that confoozed has provided is a great way to get an understanding of our the player really is, and from what I beleive it is unbiased and fairly true as I have also seen some other unbiased reviews from real users on other forums that also praise the unit and provide a similar overall conclusion.

I have had quite a bit of interest so far on these so hopefully I can organise a good price, better than Hivizone's listed price.

If you are interested, please email me so I can easily keep a record.

I will post the new info in regards to the questions still to be answered as soon as I receive it.

Thanks

Jet,

The manowa unit you mentioned here is basically a clone of the momitsu, and is for Europe. It will not be this one, so it will not have SCART. I think the other difference is, as you can see from the specs you provided, the Manowa player has HDCP enabled on the DVI interface whereas the Momitsu doesn't. See my early post for what this means.

Thanks

The manowa unit you mentioned here is basically a clone of the momitsu, and is for Europe. It will not be this one, so it will not have SCART. I think the other difference is, as you can see from the specs you provided, the Manowa player has HDCP enabled on the DVI interface whereas the Momitsu doesn't. See my early post for what this means.

"Bum, Fart & Knickers!" so sorry - you're damn right, my mistake. :blink:

The no HDCP DVI output would be my main selling/buying point, but having a SCART output would just be extra cream on the cake, not a 'show stopper'!

Most humble apologies,

Jet :ph34r:

Hi MichaelF,

The unit sounds very interesting. Do you think you will be able to get a sample in to verify all the features for us? Particularly the 576i/p and 50 Hz operation.

I also did a Google search on the unit and found references to different firmware updates being available. The interesting thing was that not all hardware versions can take all the software updates. Do you have any feeling as to what units you are likely to get?

I am financially behind the eight ball at the moment, trying to get together the money for a new Sony KVHR TV set, so I can't make a solid commitment to you at this time. Please keep this topic updated, if the deal becomes too good I may divert some money for a unit.

Regards,

Ian.

Paul,

Compare channel 7HD to channel 9HD. There is a difference as I am sure many will agree. Not to mention the fac that if you like you can use 720p.

Yes it is rescaling, but the scaler is actually quite good, at least until we have real HD DVDs.

Channel 10 rescale their HD channel, although its with professional scalers, but that is much better then thier standard def stuff at some points.

Also very interesed (if the price is enticing)

Specifically interested in upscaling to 1080i @ 60Hz HD Output - which by the sound of (i mean read of...) this is not a problem as the HD outputs specified (i.e 480p, 720p and 1080i usually refer to NTSC 60Hz diplays)

But I would also assume the there be an option in the players menu to specify either hooking up to a PAL or NTSC display, hopefully.

Also, question to you all - would there be an improvement over PAL 576p to NTSC 1080i ? Comments....(because I have a PAL progressive DVD already !)

Anyway sounds all good...

Will be intested in outcome here...

Thanks.

Also very interesed (if the price is enticing)

Specifically interested in upscaling to 1080i @ 60Hz HD Output - which by the sound of (i mean read of...) this is not a problem as the HD outputs specified (i.e 480p, 720p and 1080i usually refer to NTSC 60Hz diplays)

Hmmm - 1080i at 60Hz. Count me in too for now - However, I would be a bit concerned on local support for repairs, etc.

Wouldn't the new Toshiba TVs do the same thing? They upscale anything received eg 576i/576p to 720p (1080i). I don't know how well it upscales yet.

So if you were in the market for a new TV the new Toshibas will basically turn an ordinary DVD player to a progressive DVD player capable of showing HD.

I might wait to see what the new TVs are like first.

See http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=1031

Hmm this is all very interesting. But how does a DVD Player play HD video when you cant master HD to DVD's ? (at least... not without any type of official processes that i've heard of yet. Unless that DVD Lab way works or something..). Can someone tell me how this is expected to actaulyl GET the HD video in the first place? :blink:

im interested pending this type of info... plus 576i/p output verified and 50 and 60 hz operation of 720/1080 if possible to. :P

Compare channel 7HD to channel 9HD. There is a difference as I am sure many will agree. Not to mention the fac that if you like you can use 720p.

Yes it is rescaling, but the scaler is actually quite good, at least until we have real HD DVDs.

Channel 10 rescale their HD channel, although its with professional scalers, but that is much better then thier standard def stuff at some points.

576i material isn't broadcast on 9HD, so it isn't indicative of what you'll get with a 720p/1080i DVD player.

When comparing 10SD to 10HD, are you comparing 576i material?

The only time I could imagine up-scaling giving you a better picture is if you have a very large, very crisp display, where pixelation at SD is visible. In that case, rescaling would soften/unsharpen the image for you. But it's a moot point because consumer displays aren't that good yet.

If I'm wrong, please educate me! In my opinion, the main attraction of this player is the DVI output.

If anyone buys this player and wants to sell their existing 576p player, please let me know! I'm after a player that can do 2-2 and 3-2 pulldown.