Best Prices KVHR36M31 and panasonic 76 200a

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since personally I find this a very interesting topic (being in the market for a KVHR36M31) I thought I would post my disappointing results thus far. After trying to probe people for more info on seemingly amazing prices being posted on other threads about this TV, and not getting anywhere, I decided to start going the big push at my usual places of purchase.

Thus far I have found - TV alone, can't get anyone to come under $5K, even JB Nunawading which another member has posted a fantastic price from. Best price on the set alone I have is $5,100, but still trying. If you talk about the TV plus the 2000A "free inclusion" I can get one for $5,300 from Brashs at Preston. This price did include free cabling.

Considering prices I had got on the KVEH36M31 before I pulled the pin due to all the scrolling bar issues, these prices do seem high.

Threads like this I think are great as you never know when the shoe will be on the other foot and other people will be able to get better prices on stuff than you can.

I have been watching the Sony too although not talking to shop assistants about it.

Best ticketed price I have found is $5799 from JB Preston.

This is interesting - the unit has only been in the shop for two weeks. So thats 3.something percent reduction in price in a few weeks.

If you remove 3% per fortnight and there's around 5 fortnights it 'should' be nice and low come christmas and beyond.

Well, in the 6 weeks I've had my Panasonic STB the price has come down from $989 to $899. That's 10% in six weeks.

I complained to the salesman at Grace Brothers who offered to take $100 off the Sony TV in addition to the 10% sale they have atthe moment.

Too late for me though. I already blew this month's allowance on a sub-woofer.......

I just ordered the Sony last weekend  from Retravision Brighton, on Nepean Hwy just up from JB HiFi ... I reckon they have the best pricing in Melbourne at the moment on certain brands [sony, Samsung]

Visit on a Sunday and ask for Richard - you wont be disappointed

well a price would be handy...

ok ...

$4650 including the DG5000i STB :blink:

I kid you not ... they seem to be trying to establish the store against the local competition which includes JB, GoodGuys and Panasales.

Cheers,

Nev

Nev, I'll say two things. First, that price is fantastic, well done. I hope they wanted repeat business based on that because I'm heading down there this Sunday. Did they have it in stock?

Second is not only is the price amazing, but considering the store as well. I have never been able to get a decent price out of any of those stores in Brighton.

Do you know whether Richard works any other day apart from Sunday?

Thanks heaps.

I have always found the Goodguys in Brighton( Nepean Hwy/Centre Rd) ready and willing to do really good deals.

I would suggest at least giving them a try. They did have a Sony on the floor last time I was there.

Hi Doug and Everyone,

They now also have a Panasonic TX-76PW200A on the floor as well. (Looked at it yesterday. Unfortunately it is hooked up to a SD STB via composite. :blink: ) They said they would be reorganising the area when the 86 cm 200A Panasonic comes in - about the end of the month.

By the way, they were selling the 86 cm 100A Panasonic very cheap to get them moving. About $3,500 and 4 in stock if my memory serves me correctly. (Call them, 9592 5200, to check the price and availabilty as I was there yesterday morning and I was busy concentrating on the new Sony and Panasonic sets.)

Regards,

Ian.

Ian was it the 76cm 200A ?

There seems to be a bit of confusion by some other forum members, who have obviously seen the new 150A and mistaken it for the 200A.

They both have the dark grey front cabinet surrounds.

The 150A only does 576p and that has bought negative reaction from a few members when comparing it with the Sony.

My reports are that the 76cm 200A is every bit as good as the Sony, so I can't wait to see the 86cm 200A.

Guys, if this is any help, the best price so far (without serious bargaining) I have in Sydney is $5,300.00 for the KVHR36M31 on its own and it is from Hardley Normal in Homebase. Also pcau have advertised a web price of $5,572.72, I'm sure they will go down with the nice aroma of crisp notes in front of them. check out http://pcau.com/l3/SNY7180.php

Hope this helps and please do post the best available price in the most expensive city in Australia :blink:

Ian was it the 76cm 200A ?

There seems to be a bit of confusion by some other forum members, who have obviously seen the new 150A  and mistaken it for the 200A.

They both have the dark grey front cabinet surrounds.

The 150A only does 576p and that has bought negative reaction from a few members when comparing it with the Sony.

My reports are that the 76cm 200A is every bit as good as the Sony, so I can't wait to see the 86cm 200A.

Hi Doug,

I can confirm that it was the 200A and not the 150A.

I can't confirm how good the 200A is compared to the Sony as the Sony was being fed by a DGTEC 2000A and the 200A was being fed by a SD Panasonic box. I didn't look at how the Sony was being fed but the 200A was connected via standard composite into AV-5. :blink:

The manual was for both the 76cm and 86cm versions of the set. I did not notice any function or feature differences between the two, apart from the screen size etc. The Panasonic 200A appears the use the same, or similar, remote as its predecessors. It has a similar, but updated, user interface. It is stereo with a subwoofer and virtual Dolby surround, NO Dolby Digital, NO extra or external speakers. No RGBHV input at the rear, I don't remember seeing the DB15 on the front either. it does 576i, 576p and 1080i, NO 720p. It has twin analogue tuners and two component inputs, I think they were both progressive capable. It has Teletext and a range of PiP functions. I think the manual said that it could do PiP in all modes but progressive, that would be new as the old models could not do that in 1080i mode. (I could not confirm this feature yet!) It has the high resolution Quintrix SR picture tube. That is about all I can remember.

I want to see the 86cm version up against the Sony before I decide which to purchase. The Sony does appear to have more "bang for the buck".

Regards,

Ian.

JB Melbourne have sold 10 in the past 2 weeks.

I mentioned that I was waiting for the price to come down - he reckons it won't? He reckons people are buying it for around the $6k mark without even viewing it - no demo models in store.

Anyway I digress: They have sold 10 units, and as far as everyone seems to be talking if they continue to sell that quickly there's a real possiblity of the supply in Aus of these units running out.

Does anyone think this a fair assumption to make?

I'm still looking around for some price sets in Adelaide. HN had it $500 less than Sony Central suprisingly, but I haven't gone around yet flashing the bag of cash in front of sales people not meeting their quotas yet...

Thanks for the info Ian, I still haven't seen the Pana 76cm 200A on the floor in any northern suburbs stores yet, but if people are saying it (and hence the 86cm model too) definitely doesn't have 720p support & the Sony has RGBHV input then the deal is virtually sealed.

Most stores still have it listed with the STB at $6500, and most still seem rather unfriendly if you get them to budge on it, even with cash.

Come on you Sydney guys - surely you can do better!!

Keep in mind that I am working in Auckland so I have only been able to negotiate over the phones. These prices could be pushed further if I attended in person.

Yes, I was surprised anyone bothered to talk about pricing over the phone but those in the know will tell you that the retail market is quiet so it is definitely a buyers market.

Here is where I am so far:

1. Bing Lee - will go to $5100 plus Criterion AH811 stand for $300 (see criterion.co.nz). Sales guy said "if you want bonuses, you'll have to pay - there is nothing for nothing..." Does come with Sony Rugby Union pack. No, I don't mean the "rugby ball"

2. Dick Smith - they have a sale on right now on this set - $5799.

3. Good Guys - they said the $5100 is an excellent price and gives them very little room to move - they said they would match this price and make it worth my while if I bought from them. Note that they have 30 day price guarantee.

Hope my fellow Sydneysiders find this useful.

I'm trying to pick one up before the opening match of the World Cup so looks like I'll be paying around $5100 for the set.

Bring it on!

Paul

call me a tight ass but am nervous about dropping that much cash on a TV with no DVi input etc. Would rather stick with my trusty 68cm Sony and SD set top box and get a BenQ 8700 DLp projector when the price drops a bit...

but at the same time looks awesome will be interesting to see if the price does drop or not or wait 12 months and see if can find a 2nd hand unit.

I dropped by Retravision on the way home tonight.

Seems that demand for the KVHR36M31 has outstripped supply - Sony's initial shipment has been sold out [except for instore stock of course] and new orders have to wait for the next shipment.

hmmmmm