So let me get this straight, this TV would be ideal for running Xbox in HDTV modes correct? My Xbox has had it's eeprom flashed to NTSC mode so i have access to 480p, 720p, 1080 modes in NTSC, so this TV based on what I've read on the website supports these modes in NTSC mode as well as PAL? I already own the X2VGA VGA Box which lets me run my Xbox off my Mitusbishi 22" monitor, though not all games have the correct colour saturation, and some are still suffering from darkness issues which other VGA Boxes have suffered from. Anyway, please confirm that this TV supports 480p, 720p and 1080 modes in NTSC and will work with an Xbox which is in NTSC mode, thanks.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it actually even do PAL SD/HD?

http://www.palsonic.com.au/product_sales/c...v/ctv76wshd.htm

The advertisement kinda leads you to believes it does NTSC HD, not much talk of PAL?

Anyyway - seems like it does do your NTSC res for your xbox. BUT has anyone tested the Palsonic with 720p@60hz? This is the only res the ranks cant do, they can do 720@50hz though - means NO 720p from your xbox, at all!!! i would find out the answer to this before you buy, if its important to you, or like me you will be stuck on 480p from xbox, xbox WILL NOT do 1080i very well...(for movies)

Is there ever gonna be a 86cm version?

I am a Rank owner, and my mate in Sydney phoned me asking for a recommendation for a new TV - what is the best STB combo for this TV - does any one have a macro remote working for all tv and STB functions?

He will also want to get proscan DVD player - who is best in Sydney for a cash deal on all of the above, he live near Holsworthy/Liverpool.

Begbie - the PS2 can play some games at 480p. This is a pain in the arse 'cause at the moment I have to boot up the game, change the video setting, then swap the component cables over. I guess I can live with it...

I set the output of my PC to 800*600 at 60hz - no good.

That warping isn't as bad as it was (seems to grow on you?), but it is still annoying enough to warrant a call to Palsonic.

A question (and probably dumb), but when watching a 16:9 DVD (ps2 outputting at 16:9), the image still looks squished down flat so people look fat. I changed the picture to 'Zoom' instead of 16:9 to make it full screen. Is this correct? Does that drop image resolution vertically?

Cheers guys.

-pk-

A question (and probably dumb), but when watching a 16:9 DVD (ps2 outputting at 16:9), the image still looks squished down flat so people look fat. I changed the picture to 'Zoom' instead of 16:9 to make it full screen. Is this correct? Does that drop image resolution vertically?

Set the PS2 DVD Oprions to 16:9 (not the PS2 menu setupscreen) you have to play a DVD first tthen access the setup menu.

do not use zoom - for any reason, it is for people who don't know any better. (An analogue method for fixing aspect ratios with sever loss of image)

Anyway did you know this TV handles 1280 x 768 @ 60hz - (native widescreen monitor rez) quite well via a PC - combined with the visionplus dtv card, it craps on any standalone set top box :blink:.

Hello guys/girls.

I need some help please. I felt that the default setting for the 9300K & 6500K (available via the HD menu) was just a touch too red/dark. So I played around with the R & G setting at @ 050 each. That seem a touch greenish. Then of course I found the reset setting of the above 9300K/6500K choice. So I'm back to square one.

Can any one suggest a good setting for both the R & G part to get a more realistic colour/lighting scheme for this TV.

Thanks.

Hello guys/girls.

I need some help please. I felt that the default setting for the 9300K & 6500K (available via the HD menu) was just a touch too red/dark. So I played around with the R & G setting at @ 050 each. That seem a touch greenish. Then of course I found the reset setting of the above 9300K/6500K choice. So I'm back to square one.

Can any one suggest a good setting for both the R & G part to get a more realistic colour/lighting scheme for this TV.

Thanks.

Start by adjusting the contrast and brigthness. There's a link a few posts up that is quite helpful for this.

Once you have set as needed try 6500k and if you don't like that try 9300k.

If neither of these are any good to you, set both the R & G to zero.

If that still isn't what you want turn each of them up a little at a time until you get the picture just perfect. If possible you should do this with a still image. Of course once you get it just right for (say) the Ch2 HD test card, you'll then realise it's not perfect for the CH HD demo loop... :blink:

I use either r & g at zero or 9300K. I also have a lot of input coming at me from other viewers in the house.....ya gotta :P that

blairy

Anyone have a slight purple area on the lower left hand corner when displaying blue?

It's visible in Windows blue desktop, and whenever blue is displayed (includes white sometimes). Is this a fault I should look at replacing?

Do you have speakers or some sort od magnetic source close to the set?

Try the degauss function.

blairy

This is for PaulinMelbourne (if you still read this post).

You say that you can play Xbox games in 480p? Well, that was one main reason I got this thing. I just received an email from Palsonic stating that it doesn't accept 480p @ 60hz (NTSC)!!!! So, whats the deal?

-pk-

keeno,

I can confirm that, at least via the VGA input, this TV will display 480p @60Hz, no matter what they told you, cause I am doing it with my XBOX. 480i however is another matter. It will not correctly display a 480i or 576i signal via the VGA inputs.

Thanks michaelf, that is a relief to know. I think the reason they said this was because I didn't specify in my email to them that I would be using the VGA inputs. My bad!

I though I might ask, if you are doing this at the moment - how have you plugged the Xbox in through VGA? Did you get a VGA convertor or by any chance do you have a x2vga? (www.x2vga.com)

-pk-

keeno,

Yep I have the x2VGA. It works great, except for the very few games that are only 480i. For these I need to plug in the standard xbox pack via composite or svideo, but there are not very many that can not handle at least 480p.

Philby, you wrote

Thanks for the Info Guys,

So where can I get a good price on one of these (Palsonic 76WSHD)?

I'm in Adelaide and the be$t price here seems to be from HN @ $$2200.

Seems a little $teep when I see ppl getting them for around $1900.

Thanks

Philby

Just bought one from HN Marion $1900.00

Regards rickn

Anyone have a slight purple area on the lower left hand corner when displaying blue?

It's visible in Windows blue desktop, and whenever blue is displayed (includes white sometimes). Is this a fault I should look at replacing?

Do you have speakers or some sort od magnetic source close to the set?

Try the degauss function.

blairy

Nope, nearest is 1 metre away. Same distance on the right hand side and there's no problem over there.

Now you mention it, I do hear a popping noise occassionally when I turn the TV on either with the remote or on the TV (after I have shut it now on the set itself).

I tried doing it just now but no popping nose today. Am I suppose to be worried? My Loewe "blew up" after just over 5 years of use. Is this a serious problem? The power supply?

Anyone?

Thanks.

This is for PaulinMelbourne (if you still read this post).

You say that you can play Xbox games in 480p? Well, that was one main reason I got this thing. I just received an email from Palsonic stating that it doesn't accept 480p @ 60hz (NTSC)!!!! So, whats the deal?

-pk-

Yes, 480p @ 60Hz worked fine over HD component. 720p didn't work (only 4 or so games support it), and I couldn't even find a 1080i game locally to test.

I've heard that 720p @ both 60 and 50Hz works over the VGA input, but I haven't confirmed this.

Palsonic viewers, as your TV is the "same" as the Rank Arena, read this: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=3462

A part quote:

I have the DTI1500HD connected via HD-VGA to my 86cm RankArena and the 720p works beautifully as does all the other modes. ( I remember the Pana 2140 won't display 720p on the RankArena etc).

Audio includes:

SP/DIF coaxial

SP/DIF optical

Analogue Stereo

The menu allows Digital Audio to output DD5.1 first, and if no signal is present then MPEG2. I have Digital Coax connected to my Harman Hardon AVR8500 amp with a significant improvement in sound over my previous Thomson SD-STB (that my son now has it connected as Scart-RGB to our Sony Profeel Black Cube).

The remote control has two sets of controls. The upper 2/3 controls the DTI1500 and the lower 1/3 has native TV controls that match the RankArena ( funny that =;-) )

Edited by gclark8
What do you mean?

That thread doesn't mention the palsonic at all, only a HD STB?

Heist, one of my friends has the Palsonic 76cm, and I can assure you it is the same design and parts and is made in the same factory, Xoceco as my RankArena.

All the modes, sockets, menus and even the users guide are identical.

Oh, I'm not really questioning whether it's identical or not, just not sure how that thread related to the Palsonic. Seems more about the STB.

I haven't followed the thread of this append. Can you please summarise the 14 pages of this thread into one or two paragraphs and I will have a look whether my Thomson DTI1500HD and 86cm RankArena has the same concern.

Sorry about this about this question.

I've tried using the scart out of the TEAC 400 STB to the S-Video/Composite audio input of this TV in the past. Didn't work. Now I'm hooking my 2nd DVD player to the TV via either the Video 1 or 2 using plain composite video and audio. The question is: can I hook it up using a good quality S-Video/Composite cable, say from Harmony Gold (Dick Smith) and achieve a better PQ?

Thanks.

(By the way, before anyone ask, I've exchanged the TEAC for a DGTEC 2000A)

Alrighty guys, here is what is happening (for those who care... :blink: )

I sent an email yesterday to Palsonic as the bending of the image at the sides is bad.

About 8cm in from either side, the image appears to bend back towards the rear of the screen, making everything distorted. The best example is having big text from a PC scrolling across the screen - you can see it warp pretty badly.

I will let you all know the results of this.

-pk-

Palsonic viewers, as your TV is the "same" as the Rank Arena, read this: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=3462

What do you mean?

That thread doesn't mention the palsonic at all, only a HD STB?

I think George is just giving all Palsonic owners a heads up to the fact that there is a new HD STB on the market that seems to be a very good match for this tv.

Oh, I'm not really questioning whether it's identical or not, just not sure how that thread related to the Palsonic. Seems more about the STB.

I haven't followed the thread of this append. Can you please summarise the 14 pages of this thread into one or two paragraphs and I will have a look whether my Thomson DTI1500HD and 86cm RankArena has the same concern.

Dugby, issue is horizontal rolling bars when the tv is in hd mode. Many of us have experienced it with differing stb and it does appear to be the tv. I'm not aware the rank exhibits this problem.

Try this link for more detail on the issue

Horizontal Rolling Bars

I'm convinced it's the TV for a number of reasons.

I've run my stb thru a pc monitor...no rolling bars

Palsonic techo has hooked up his stb (also dgtec) and...rolling bars

Last weekend i bought the yammy 540 ps dvd. Hooked up thru component...rolling bars :blink:

Dugby, issue is horizontal rolling bars when the tv is in hd mode. Many of us have experienced it with differing stb and it does appear to be the tv. I'm not aware the rank exhibits this problem.

Try this link for more detail on the issue

Horizontal Rolling Bars

I'm convinced it's the TV for a number of reasons.

I've run my stb thru a pc monitor...no rolling bars

Palsonic techo has hooked up his stb (also dgtec) and...rolling bars

Last weekend i bought the yammy 540 ps dvd. Hooked up thru component...rolling bars :blink:

Thanks Blairy....... no I am not seeing the Horizontal scrolling bars moving neither up nor down the RankArena screen connected by both VGA and HD-YPbPr component video with the HD Thomson DTI1500HD STB.

I have been running full HD 1080i mode, 1152i mode and the Reserved Mode (non-scan converting mode) for all channels 2/20/3/30/31/33/7/70/9/9010/12.

In all cases the PQ is superb with no artifacts or bending of the screen at the edges.

What 'resolution' does the STB output?

I get these rolling bars using a HTPC if I use a much lower resolution, such as 800x600.

Normally I am at 1280x720 and no bars at all.

Heist I ahve the dgtec 2000a set up via xga and a yamaha sd540 PS DVD player via HD component inputs. The resolutions I'm getting are:

STB

HD1: Fh:28kHz and Fv 50Hz which according to the manual is 1920 X 1080i

HD2: Fh: 31.5kHz and Fv 50.4 Hz which manual says is 720 X 600p

DVD

Start Screen: Fh:31.5kHz and Fv 59.9Hz which according to the manual is 720 X 500p. This resolution also applies to (the only) R1 disc I own. Guess this is NTSC.

R4 DVD's: Fh: 31.5kHz and Fv 50.4 Hz which manual says is 720 X 600p. I have (at least one) R4 DVD which previoulsy showed different resolution details. No shows the same as above.

blairy

Finally got my Panasonic HDSTB. Pretty happy with it despite there only being upconverted HDTV in Newcastle at the moment. One query - what is the difference between AA,AB and BB switches One says 1080i (1152), one says 1152i and the other is 1080i(1250). I thought 1080i was it, what are the other numbers and what is the best input for the Palsonic ?

I run my DVD thru thr component in HDTV and my DTB off the XGA... I can tell you the DVD player outputs all DVD's PAL and NTSC at 1080i and the picture is superb... Wish My Pana 86cm 100 could do the same alas as it doent support 1080i@60hz the Pana wont work...

One thing I can confirm is I have 4 HD DVD players at my house all based on SIgma 8500 chipset... and 720P DOES NOT work with any of them on the Palsonic... Although it says 720P is supported in the manual.. Trust me it doesnt work... So if your lookinbg for 720P (probably same as me as HD DVD player) the Plasonic IS not the way to go..

If anyone wants to host some pics of the 1080i out put let me know and I email to you for everyones eyes... Its pretty god damn impressive... I have to say..

Wayne :blink: