Sign in to follow this  
Psuedo Visual

Palsonic 76WSHD

I have distinct set of vertical bars that I'm sure correspond to spacing of the inbuilt colour bar generator that is an alternative to the blue screen setting.

These are bars of alternating red, green, blue, right?

I also get these bars when the horizontal size is set within a certain range. The correct horizontal size setting for my TV is outside this range, so it is not a problem on my set.

I discovered this when I had configured my set to use alot of overscan, in an attempt to fix strong distortion at the horizontal extremities. FYI, it didn't fix the distortion, so my set is due to be exchanged over for a new one sometime soon.

Thanks Paul! I played around with horizontal size and found that it was overscanning. The problem has now gone.

FWIW, I hadn't altered picture geometry or size at all, it's how it came from the store.

There's been a number of posts about horizontal bars...

Thanks to all who have suggested possible causes/solutions.

Antenna man is still to return.

However, elsewhere in this forum there have been posts about digital outputs from stb. I'm using the dgtec 2000a and have now switched to HD2 output. Refer Dans Data

Changing to HD2 saw the need for some geometry adjustments. Played around with geometry and think it's now pretty close. PQ on HD2 is the same although colours are a little sharper.

The problem I had been having with hoizontal black bars waving up and down the screen is (on HD2) decidely less noticeable. In fact you only pick it up if looking for it. Knowing it's there is more of an issue than the bars themselves.

Of course, now that I've played around with the geometry, I've noticed that the edges of the picture are not perfectly straight. (This is noticeable in both HD1 and HD2 modes.) Along the top of the picture it curves down in the middle. The sides are like a piece of cloth that has not been cut perfectly. The bottom is close to a straight line, but again not perfect. I've simply enlarged the picture so the faults are not seen. Not sure if that's the right thing to do though.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

blairy

If your using HD2 and XGA, you might want to use the V-MOIRE control to reduce the patterning that you may have. I had to set mine at 209 for HD2, but funnily, it reports the vertical refresh as 50.2Hz..... strange... and there is a bit of an interlace twitch that isn't on HD1.

Thanks for the reports on the earthing problem.. i'll give some bunny ears on the STB a try (i don't have any RF connections to the TV at all, just to the STB).

Of course, now that I've played around with the geometry, I've noticed that the edges of the picture are not perfectly straight. (This is noticeable in both HD1 and HD2 modes.) Along the top of the picture it curves down in the middle. The sides are like a piece of cloth that has not been cut perfectly. The bottom is close to a straight line, but again not perfect. I've simply enlarged the picture so the faults are not seen. Not sure if that's the right thing to do though.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

blairy

My parents just bought one of these sets and it suffers from the problem you have described with the uneven edges (we are using a dh-2000a as well), I wonder if this is a TV set issue or with the dh-2000a?

BTW, has anyone noticed that the picture gets squashed slighty at the left and right edges when the picture is 16:9 fullscreen (both DVD and DTV)? I have found it is most noticeable when text scrolls across horizontally.

BTW, has anyone noticed that the picture gets squashed slighty at the left and right edges when the picture is 16:9 fullscreen (both DVD and DTV)? I have found it is most noticeable when text scrolls across horizontally.

Yes, this is particularly bad on my set. I get compression on the extreme left/right edges, expansion as it moves towards the centre, and then slight compression again at the centre. To make it worse, the text seems to rise ever so slightly towards the centre. When watching the scrolling text on the 7 program guide, you can actually see the text change from moving up to moving down as it passes the centre of the screen. When I watched the Easy Riders DVD, theres are a rotating 360 degree shot that really highlighted this problem. To their credit, Palsonic are organising a replacement set (it has a few other problems as well). Will post all the details once I get the replacement.

I thought i would add my Panasonic QTR2140 and Palsonic 76WSHD experiences.

The Panasonic after several days of running completely loss all channel 9 channels, would lock when doing a rescan but refused to reload them to the channel list, was OK after it was allowed to cool down. Decided to return for a replacement. New one scanned OK but would lock up on channel 9, at one stage 3 times in 10 minutes. I have been using a Strong 5200b for months and have no problems with 9.

Found colour saturation far too high on most material, could not get red levels right, no such thing as natural skin tones.

Found the Palsonic reasonable but had annoying variation in brightness while changing channels (brightness limiter ????), and horizontal bars which became more noticable on certain colours.

Decided after 7 days of fiddling that I was not happy with the result for spending $2800 and returned them both for a refund. My old JVC and the Strong produce a far more natural picture with less pattening.

Ron.

Where is the best place to check out the Palsonic? I'm in Sydney.

Saw one in HN Moore Park but they had it switched of and not connected :blink:

I'm thinking if I can pick this set up with a Pana HD STB for $2500 I would seriously consider...

mrmaxwell,

I purchased my set from Homezone Moore Park. I was told by a Palsonic rep that they mostly sell their sets to HN and Retravision stores, you might want to give them a call.

how's this for a bargain -

i've been lookin around at tv's in general and gettin interested in ws over the last month and planned to buy one in a couple more months time

i was at cashies a few days ago and they had a 76cm Orion 100hz, http://www.orion-tv.net.au/cgi-bin/orion/000198.html this one here tho their site has been down the last day or so.

they thought it was a run of the mill 68cm and had $540 on the price tag. needless to say it is mine now. oh yeah the rrp is $2399 and it is in around about new condition

Just thought I'd mention that my Palsonic can't handle the NTSC 720p output by my Xbox. Only about 5% of games support it, so not too dissapointing. :blink:

Great thread guys - but. :) I'm still undecided. Is the 76WSHD a reliable set? Are all you guys happy now - no more lines, blooming, colour patches etc.?

I'm not fussed about sound quality - the speaker in the set will rarely get used if at all.

This is what I have that will get connected at some stage if not all the time to this set -

- Omni DV3200p progressive dvd player

- Xbox

- laptop

- Stereo VCR with tuner (this tuner would get more use than the tuner in the tv)

- Digital Camcorder

- STB box is yet to come (maybe around March next year I'll get one of these - probably panasonic 1080i unit.

Primarily I want to watch DVD's. My wife and kids however will watch mainly regular free to air until I get a STB.

I expect to be able to use all of the above things very well, I expect most from the DVD playback.

My concern is with the name PALSONIC (is there much in a name nowa days?) - I don't want to be taking this set back and/or get it repaired anytime soon obviously. All the people here that have had seemingly minor issues seem fairly happy (after working out what their problems were) - is this still the case - still happy? :)

I was also told that the 76WSFD uses a Toshiba tube - is this correct? I know their extra 4:3 92cm tv uses a Toshiba tube but I'm not sure about the 76WSHD.

I also noticed that most STB's are either 576i or 576p/1080i - the manual for the 76WSHD only mentions 480p and 1080i (amoungst others) but no mention of 576i or 576p - should this be a concern? I guess it isn't as most of you seem to be connecting to STB's ok. I'm probably a little confused :)

cheers

Ji-Owon

Hello Ji-Owon,

I have my Omni 3200P setup with the Palsonic in progressive mode 576P and I am happy with the quality. I also have the Pana STB connected with the xVGA (1080i) connection.

Overall I am still happy with both, no major issues yet (had it for 2 weeks). Image is very sharp. The colours can appear a bit too saturated but it depends on the indivuidual images. Reds can look like they phase a bit (I think that is how you would describe it-like when certain colour frequencies interact and appear to vibrate) for example the t shirts on the house calls to the rescue squad on the seven HD loop are too bright but on other occasions reds are ok.

Same with skin tones. Sometimes slightly too red or too blue (depending on settings). I thought that maybe the source footage may have some bearing on this effect. Apart from minor red issues, picture is very nice (I think for the price a great buy, I don't think anything else would come close for the $1750 I paid).

No real colour issues yet with DVDs, but I haven't watched a great deal in the 2 weeks I have had it though.

I would muck around with the moire for line issues. The TV does have so many settings you will find yourself constantly tweaking.. :blink:

Has anyone changed the Matrix settings (under the VF menu - normal, cold, warm)? I assume that they alter the white balance of the set? Maybe this can help skin tones?

Another strange problem that I don’t know is from the TV, my vcr seems to show tearing in the centre lines of the picture when viewing a recorded tape. Could it be that this TV is more sensitive to the sync from the vcr? I connected my Datavideo TBC-1000 between the video and the TV and it fixed the problem though.

Another strange problem that I don’t know is from the TV, my vcr seems to show tearing in the centre lines of the picture when viewing a recorded tape. Could it be that this TV is more sensitive to the sync from the vcr? I connected my Datavideo TBC-1000 between the video and the TV and it fixed the problem though.

Interesting- I used my VCR for the first time for months (using TiVo HD recorder normally), and I was getting the tearing you are talking about. Thought it was the VCR! I'll try plugging it into another set & see what happens...

Indulis

Hi Chuditch,

Have you tried enabling the VCR function in the menu? I don't have my Palsonic anymore, but I fairly sure it had that option.

Ron.

Hi RonF,

I have tried switching on (and off) the VCR function in the RF menu but this doesn't stop the frame tearing. The TBC definitely does fix it. On my ancient VCR (1981 era) the tearing is a lot worse.

I have a new Panasonic VCR connected to my computer (I use it to capture videos and convert to DVD). I will try it on the Palsonic and see if it makes any difference. (Maybe I need to buy a HDD recorder!)

Also in the RF menu, does anyone have any recommend settings? I guess that DNR is digital noise reduction, what are the other settings?

Cheers

quote from ji-owon

I'm still undecided. Is the 76WSHD a reliable set? Are all you guys happy now - no more lines, blooming, colour patches etc.?

ji-owon, not sure if i was the 1st, but i certainly raised the horizontal bar issue. I've all but resolved this by changing settings on stb and tweaking settings on tv. If they're still there you have to go squinty eyed to find them. In normal viewing i no longer see them. I also raised the blooming and bleeding issue. This was my fault by placing the tv too close to unshielded speakers (one on top of the other...small has 12" inch woofer and the large a 15").

DTV via XGA is near perfection, analogue FTA is good too, DVD via component is fantastic; Fox satellite via composite is marvellous, PS1 looks better than ever and the downside...my vcr has needed an upgrade for years and this is now even more obvious.

Happy with the set and would recommend to anyone. Not only is quality up there with the best of them, but you get great value for money too.

And of course, I'd like your (and others) help too...where in Sydney can one buy Omni DVD players?

Thanks

blairy

This was my fault by placing the tv too close to unshielded speakers (one on top of the other...small has 12" inch woofer and the large a 15").

I have unshielded speakers.

How close is too close?

thanks for the replies - busy little forum this - good stuff.

Well I did it - purchased the Palsonic 76WSHD yesterday for $1999 - well actually I also needed a new stand/cabinet and I decided on getting the extra 4years in home warranty (so thats 7 years all up). Apparently the extra 4 years was worth $499 (I doubt that) and the cabinet had a sticker price of $399. Got the lot for $2470.00 on no deposit 12months intertest free - fairly happy with that.

The TV so far is great! I have not found any faults I haven't been able to correct with in menu functions.

I'm extrememly tired (up far too late last night playing with the TV :)

I'll right up more on the TV tomorrow.

As for the Omni - well I'm in Perth and I purchased it for $270'ish nearly a year ago now from Strathfield - mostly very very happy with it. A friend of mine picked one up from Strathfield on special 2 weeks ago for just $100, needless to say he's pleased with that purchase!

bfn

cheers for the replies

Ji-Owon

Hi

I have got the Palsonic now 3 weeks and I must say I am very happy with

this set . If you give me my money back , I will go and get another one the same day!!

The only issue I have is the horizontal bars that you can see on certain colors . Blairy how did you fix that ??

PQ is one of the best I have seen (DTV - DVDp)

niko

Hello, an update in regards to the video performance and the horizontal tearing in the centre of the picture.

I have now tried 3 VCRs, a brand new Panasonic stereo HV60, 5 year old stereo Teac MV777 and a 20 year old ??? The picture shows tearing on ALL machines (the new Panasonic is the worst). I have also tried every video input with no luck either. I can fix the problem by passing the signal through my external Time Based Corrector, but I don't want to do this everytime!

Any ideas? Has anyone else noticed this effect?

BTW the Omnis were a good deal at $99, I bought 2 as xmas presents, I paid $280 for mine a while ago and was happy at that price.

I have the tearing in the middle of the screen horizontally. My VCR is a 3-4 year old JVC multisystem hifi 6 head one. I was going to try a CP 2 video stabiliser to see if that fixes the problem. I will probably convert all my VHS tapes to DVDR though, and this will sidestep the problem.

I'm a little confused with the inputs etc, I'm used to RCA composite or SVHS video/audio. I have a Omni DV 3300AF progressive scan DVD player hooked up by component cables, but only seem to get WS on the HD component inputs, there seems to be no way of changing aspect ratio. The same when using the VGA out of the DVD player. I tried through the DVD player settings but seemed to make no difference. I assume as I can see video on the HD component inputs then the DVD player is outputting progressive?? The Palsonic handbook talks about various HD resolutions supported (at the back of the manual) but I cannot figure out how to view or change these.

How do I know what resolution my HD component signal is on the TV?? i.e. 576p , 576i etc??? :blink:

I have unshielded speakers.

How close is too close?

Mine are about 40cm away now. Closer than 30 cm seems to cause problems.

blairy