Sign in to follow this  
Psuedo Visual

Palsonic 76WSHD

Hey all,

A quick question, is the 76WSHD actually capable of displaying a resolution of 1920X1080i? or does it just take the 1080i input and convert it to its native res?

I'm thinking of picking one of these up, 'cause I'm sick of watching HD on my 21" Trinitron (via VGA on DH-2000a). But if they don't display the proper 1920x1080i res I'll just keep watching HD through my monitor :blink:

Hello All,

I have been reading this forum with much inteset and finally took the plunge and made a purchase.

For your info I picked up the Palsonic 76WSHD and a Panasonic QTR2140 for $2550 including delivery from my local retravision in Perth. I was told stocks of the TV arriving Friday or Monday. I took the STB home.

So once it arrives I will give some feedback. I am interested in connecting up my progressive scan dvd player and seeing how good it is. Much better than my LG flatron 59cm I hope!

cheers

I have them connected via the XGA lead. Having problems setting the RED level.

RED and GREEN levels seem to high, I have both set at 0 and the tulips in the 9 HD loop are  too RED and the grass looks too green. Skin tones dont look natural on program.

Can anyone with this combination tell me their settings for RED and GREEN.

I rang Panasonic and was told you can't use this output for HDTV and to swap to the component output..........

Hi

RonF

1) on page 35 (Palsonic's manual) For Red-Green adjustment.

2) Both manuals (TV-HDBOX) page 10 TV . page 6-7 BOX,refer to XGA interface connection between TV and HDBOX.

niko

In the manual it refers to "Displaying Pattern" (as opposed to an input signal) of 1920X1080i for HD and it has a XGA input. Wouldn't this indicate that can do the full resolution rather than scale it down?

No CRT TV (and no affordable LCDs or plasmas) can fully resolve 1080i at the moment. It is most unlikely that such a CRT device will become available in the near future because of technical difficulties (mainly the loss in brightness as resolution is screwed down and the need for lower frequencies - making the picture nearly unwatchable as a TV).

I'm not sure what the current crop of CRTs can resolve. Most rely on a good quality tube and supporting hardware, together with various 'proprieratry' software. However, I would say that all current 'HD Ready' CRTs on the market give a superior picture with a 576p or 1080i input compared to any analogue or integrated SD unit you can buy. All current 'HD Ready' units give a similar performance in terms of the quality of the picture with a HD input. Where you are paying for the difference relates to the size of the tube, the number of inputs, quality (eg reliability and longevity of hardware) and number of features (eg automatic save of picture settings for up to 4 different inputs, PIP, set-up, sound/speakers etc).

Having watched both SD and HD demos in the store before buying, there is DEFINITELY an improvement in the HD 1080i... whatever the horzontal resolution is...

I have noticed my set also has the "change size depending on brightness" feature. Not a lot, about 5mm change as far as I can see. Do other 16x9 TVs have the same problem? This is most apparent when viewing 4:3 with side and top/bottom black borders.

Cheers,

Indulis

No CRT TV (and no affordable LCDs or plasmas) can fully resolve 1080i at the moment.  It is most unlikely that such a CRT device will become available in the near future because of technical difficulties (mainly the loss in brightness as resolution is screwed down and the need for lower frequencies - making the picture nearly unwatchable as a TV).

I'm not sure what the current crop of CRTs can resolve.  Most rely on a good quality tube and supporting hardware, together with various 'proprieratry' software.  However, I would say that all current 'HD Ready' CRTs on the market give a superior picture with a 576p or 1080i input compared to any analogue or integrated SD unit you can buy.  All current 'HD Ready' units give a similar performance in terms of the quality of the picture with a HD input.  Where you are paying for the difference relates to the size of the tube, the number of inputs, quality (eg reliability and longevity of hardware) and number of features (eg automatic save of picture settings for up to 4 different inputs, PIP, set-up, sound/speakers etc).

Ummmm, most 19" CRT computer monitors can display 2048x1536p so I'd hardly say there will never be a CRT than can do 1080i in the near future.

I am sure that you can find faults in this TV ... But seriously folks for $2K and the quality of the image that is displayed in HD .. How can you go wrong.

I set up a Sharp Aquos 37" LCD today for a client .. It cost $13K is not HD and IMHO looks like crap! So the Palsonic is the go

Follow up my previous post. Received and set up the Palsonic on Saturday and I am very happy.

Setup the Pana on Friday and was surprised by the increased quality of the picture on my old 4:3 59cm LG flatron. I had great analogue reception before and thought the difference would be minor. I was wrong! The STB is very easy to set up and use. Minor niggle was the fact that all settings were lost when unplugging and swapping to the Palsonic.

Lifting the Palsonic was an effort, but worth the hernia! Picture quality out of the box was very impressive. I connected the TV through the XGA connection (STB set to AA) and my DVD through the component connections. The menus on the TV are a bit eccentric and will take some getting used to. Still haven’t fully explored all settings yet. I haven’t managed to get the progressive scan on the DVD working yet either. Could be my Omni DV3200P DVD player though. Any suggestions? DVDs look amazing anyway. Put on my copy of Gladiator and was impressed.

Watched Mission Impossible in HD last night and was blown away by the picture. Colours seem a little over saturated (but still very watchable) even after adjusting R and G and temperature. My previous LG would also be too bright on the reds also (as well as destroying any blacks). I would be interested in knowing what colour sound etc settings anyone else is using.

Sound wise the Palsonic is average. I got a bit worried when I first connected up the set as it was only producing sound at low volumes and squeak at anything above a whisper. Mucked around with a few settings and sound restored. Still don’t know what I did to fix it. I use the TV more like a monitor anyway since I use my hi-fi for sound when it counts (no surround amp yet so I would have preferred if the ears shaped speakers were a bit smaller).

The STB has had a couple of glitches. It does run warm near where I assume the transformer is located (where the 240V runs in) but no more so than any other similar device I have owned. It has also frozen 3 times and required to be unplugged to get it going again. 2 of the 3 times it froze was on channel 9, screen froze and STB and TV were unresponsive with remote or buttons. The 3rd time I can’t remember what channel I was on (I was channel flicking). Got some relief when a colleague at work also said his dodgy tech froze on 9 last night also and required a restart. Also ABC on Saturday morning was breaking up a lot. Been ok since. The STB time display when switched off didn’t work Sunday night either. Maybe something to do with daylight savings confused the STB? I am hoping that I will have no more troubles with the STB.

The performance of my VCR seems to have dropped since connected to the Palsonic. The LG seemed to do a better job. The picture seems a bit unstable and colour either a little washed out or too saturated. I suggested keeping the LG for VCR duties but was quickly reminded by the wife that our small house doesn’t have the space! The tuner of the LG also seemed a bit better. Reinforces my use of the Palsonic as a monitor.

Apart these minor things very happy with the quality and value for money. Will need to save up for hard drive video recorder now to make the most of the quality!

Cheers :blink:

Has anyone noticed fine horizontal lines, moving up (or down) the screen on 1080i input? They are most noticable when the TV is warming up and when there is a blue background.

I've noticed it on mine and on a demo set in Harvey Normans - it happens on both the DGTEC & Panasonic through XGA and Component at 1080i only. All other resolutions - 576p, 720p and 576i are fine. Apart from this annoyance, the TV is an absolute bargin for the picture quality.

Travis

...and my DVD through the component connections.... I haven’t managed to get the progressive scan on the DVD working yet either.

You probably know this already, but in case you dont: if you set the DVD player to progressive scan, you'll need to move it from the Y/Cb/Cr (DVD) inputs to the Y/Pb/Pr (HDTV) inputs. But also beware that the HDTV inputs won't handle 576i, which is a royal pain in the butt, and sure to confuse new 76WSHD/Rank/DEC owners.

...and my DVD through the component connections....    I haven’t managed to get the progressive scan on the DVD working yet either.

You probably know this already, but in case you dont: if you set the DVD player to progressive scan, you'll need to move it from the Y/Cb/Cr (DVD) inputs to the Y/Pb/Pr (HDTV) inputs. But also beware that the HDTV inputs won't handle 576i, which is a royal pain in the butt, and sure to confuse new 76WSHD/Rank/DEC owners.

Excuse my ignorance but does this mean that you can't have both progressive and PAL interlaced DVD through the same input?

PaulInMelbourne Posted on Oct 28 2003, 02:30 AM

Thanks PaulInMelbourne, I haven't had a chance to read through the manual yet from cover to cover (way too busy). I did have a look at the inputs last night and thought that I might have to change them around. I am going to Jaycar today to buy some of their Hi Qual Component connecters STOCK-CODE: WQ7238 to see if they make any difference to DVD picture.

Has anyone tried connecting the Pana STB in 576p mode? Does this make any difference?

By the way, thanks for this great post, there is some good info in here. Convinced me to put my money down anyway.

Has anyone noticed fine horizontal lines, moving up (or down) the screen on 1080i input? They are most noticable when the TV is warming up and when there is a blue background.

I too have these horizontal bars. They seem to move or down the screen. Using DGTEC 2000a via XGA. I get themon all digital channels/formats.

After purchasing TV had a new antenna installed. These bar started after antenna install and weren't there with old antenna. The antenna man is coming back in teh next couple of days to adjust.

I'll let you know how it pans out, but in the meantime you might want to consider your antenna as the problem.

Yeah i have these bars also, but they usually only appear when the television is warming up. They seems to discipate a little the longer the set has been on though it could just be my eyes adjusting to the set. :blink:

I seem to get the same lines on component and they were even around when I had my Toshiba STB - I now have a Pana STB connected via HDTV.

I have to say that for me these bars are a very minor annoyance but and seem to go away after a while. Videophiles would probably be most irratated by them though.

Interesting that it may be the antenna causing the problem - i'd like to hear about how you go Blairy.

Excuse my ignorance but does this mean that you can't have both progressive and PAL interlaced DVD through the same input?

Thats right, but I guess normally you would never switch your DVD player back to interlaced.

Not being able to do 576i on HDTV inputs is one of the reasons why the Toshiba STB isn't recommended for this TV, since when you change a channel it'll spit out whatever is being broadcast, which can be one of 576i, 576p, 1080i. After you change the channel, you can press another button to upconvert to 576p/1080i, so it's liveable, but inconvenient.

mrmaxwell,

I saw the Panasonic 200A about two weeks ago is DSE at Moore Park Supacenta Sydney. It was connected to the Pana HDSTB via component.

I have to say I was very disappointed by the picture - it was sitting next the new Sony 86cm and the Sony blew it away. I actually thought the picture was marginal on the Pana 150A that was on the other side.

Perhaps I was expecting a lot with all the hype it had received and having just bought a Palsonic 76WSHD few weeks earlier.

Maybe the drones at DSE had set the Pana up wrong, but IMHO the ch.9 demo on the Palsonic looked better than what the Panasonic was offering.

If I had $5K I would buy the Sony 86cm for sure, since I don't I am very happy with the Palsonic for $2K. There is no way I would buy the Pana 200A for $3500 from what I saw.

still waiting for antenna man to revisit and hopefully correct horizontal bars. Having said that, watching tonight on all channels I cannot see bars in spite of specifically looking for them. Still getting sound drop outs and pixelation though.

Couple of comments about this great tv...

Sound out...doesn't include sound input to HD inputs nor (I think) RF input.

When watching HDTV, set tv volume as low as possible and adjust from your stb. When tv volume is set too high you get a buzzing sound from the speakers.

In spite of all that, for a tv, the sound is nothing short of excellent.

still waiting for antenna man to revisit and hopefully correct horizontal bars. Having said that, watching tonight on all channels I cannot see bars in spite of specifically looking for them. Still getting sound drop outs and pixelation though.

Blairy, I don't see how an antenna problem could induce horizontal lines on a decoded digital signal. I don't even have an antenna connected to my Palsonic and I still see the lines. Maybe its being induced inside the TV itself?

I've now had the Palsonic for two weeks. Still happy with it but...

I have distinct set of vertical bars that I'm sure correspond to spacing of the inbuilt colour bar generator that is an alternative to the blue screen setting.

I can almost get rid of them by playing with the contrast but I feel the picture quality is compromised.

Anyone else see these?

I have distinct set of vertical bars that I'm sure correspond to spacing of the inbuilt colour bar generator that is an alternative to the blue screen setting.

These are bars of alternating red, green, blue, right?

I also get these bars when the horizontal size is set within a certain range. The correct horizontal size setting for my TV is outside this range, so it is not a problem on my set.

I discovered this when I had configured my set to use alot of overscan, in an attempt to fix strong distortion at the horizontal extremities. FYI, it didn't fix the distortion, so my set is due to be exchanged over for a new one sometime soon.

I too have these horizontal bars. They seem to move or down the screen. Using DGTEC 2000a via XGA. I get themon all digital channels/formats.

After purchasing TV had a new antenna installed. These bar started after antenna install and weren't there with old antenna. The antenna man is coming back in teh next couple of days to adjust.

I'll let you know how it pans out, but in the meantime you might want to consider your antenna as the problem.

Pretty sure your problem is an earthing problem , unplug the antenna and just try to run from some rabbit ears if you can ,see what happens. An earth loop can develop between any two earthed points and cause black moving bars on the picture , the stronger the noise the darker the lines .