Sign in to follow this  
Psuedo Visual

Palsonic 76WSHD

Slayer, not sure about the 2805 but not all avr's output the osd via component outputs.  Some only do this via s-video or composite. As for the xbox (obviously modded) 720p 60hz is a standard input on this set and should work. Have you tried connecting the xbox component outputs direct to the set? If you can't get it to work I'd suggest a service call from palsonic.

blairy

Hi Blairy

Thanks heaps for your reply, yeah the 2805 outputs the OSD via composite, svideo & component. Apparently the problem is that it outputs the OSD @ 480i and the palsonic hd component ports will not display interlaced resolutions, that's what I heard anyways.

As for the 720p yes it works fine via xga (using my x2vga+) but will not work through the component ports (tested connected directly into the ports bypassing amp) apparently this is because the component ports only do 720p @ 50hz whereas the xga ports can do 720p @ 60hz,

I would love you to correct me though as these are the only problems I've had with this brilliant set, but failing that if anyone makes me a decent offer I'll have to consider it :blink:

Hi Blairy

Thanks heaps for your reply, yeah the 2805 outputs the OSD via composite, svideo & component. Apparently the problem is that it outputs the OSD @ 480i and the palsonic hd component ports will not display interlaced resolutions, that's what I heard anyways.

As for the 720p yes it works fine via xga (using my x2vga+) but will not work through the component ports (tested connected directly into the ports bypassing amp) apparently this is because the component ports only do 720p @ 50hz whereas the xga ports can do 720p @ 60hz,

I would love you to correct me though as these are the only problems I've had with this brilliant set, but failing that if anyone makes me a decent offer I'll have to consider it :blink:

Bummer. I'm looking to buy an avr and now know to make sure the osd will work with the palsonic hd component inputs. I recall reading with the 2805 that if anything is connected to s-video that osd defaults to that output. If you've got anything connected via s-video might be worth disconnecting it and see what happens. (Sounds as though you haven't, just thought I'd mention it.)

Now you mention it, the issue with the xbox has been mentioned on this forum previously (or perhaps another one I looked at some time ago). Might the new xbox solve this?

Bummer. I'm looking to buy an avr and now know to make sure the osd will work with the palsonic hd component inputs. I recall reading with the 2805 that if anything is connected to s-video that osd defaults to that output. If you've got anything connected via s-video might be worth disconnecting it and see what happens.  (Sounds as though you haven't, just thought I'd mention it.)

Now you mention it, the issue with the xbox has been mentioned on this forum previously (or perhaps another one I looked at some time ago).  Might the new xbox solve this?

oh yeah I have no problems with osd using composite or svideo but it kind of defeats the purpose of the video upconversion feature of the denon as I have to run another cable and switch sources to view it.

As for the xbox yes if the new one comes out with native HD support it should also be 50hz so the palsonic will handle it. With current modded xbox's we have to run them in NTSC to use HD and unfortunately the palsonic cannot sync the 720p signal (480p and 1080i @ 60hz sync fine)

thanks again for your assistance and if anyone is interested in a mint condition telly give me a yell as it really is perfect other than these couple of things :blink:

Hi Blairy

I was playing around with my setup the other day and checked again this morning.

Using my yamaha dvd c750b on progressive scan thru component inputs, the dvd screen is 720p @ 60 hz. Tried an R1 ntsc disc and it too is 720 p @ 60 hz.

Slayer, my tv is doing this and I suspect yours should too. Could this be something to do with the xbox itself or even the games?

Have you been able to access the tv's osd and check the resolution?

blairy

I was playing around with my setup the other day and checked again this morning.

Using my yamaha dvd c750b on progressive scan thru component inputs, the dvd screen is 720p @ 60 hz.  Tried an R1  ntsc disc and it too is 720 p @ 60 hz.

Slayer, my tv is doing this and I suspect yours should too. Could this be something to do with the xbox itself or even the games?

Have you been able to access the tv's osd and check the resolution?

blairy

Hi Blairy

Wow that's interesting thanks for looking into it. I still havn't had any luck at all (this is tested with dashboard, apps and games everything works fine other than 480i and 720p) and had pretty much given up on it after reading this thread where others had confirmed the problem http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=5719&hl=

I'll be picking up a 6600gt card within the next few days which also has component output so I might be able to test it with that as well but unless I can find a way to make it work with the xbox and amp then it's obviously still not optimal.

Still mighty weird that it actually reports 720p @ 60hz on yours though it would be great to hear if anyone else has managed it.

regards Dave

Slayer, not sure what the answer might be.

This topic may give some clues...

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=9936&hl=

Based on aquick trawl through some search results and also my fading memory, either you need to change the settings on the xbox dashboard to output ntsc or (and this may be a bit tricky) install something like enigmah which I understand provides even more options re video output than the standard dashboard.

good luck

blairy

And a couple of other topics from this forum...

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=949&hl=..

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=1002&hl=

And you may also find what you need (or confirm it can't be done) at the forums at http://www.xboxworld.com.au/

blairy

Gday Blairy

Thanks again for all of your time and assistance it's appreciated. I actually mod xbox's on the side so have quite a bit of exposure to them :P basically what the threads are explaining is that a stock pal xbox cannot output any high def and is locked to 480i once an xbox is modded you simply switch it to an ntsc eeprom (using the enigmah program) and then with the appropriate cabling (x2vga+ {what I currently use into the xga port}, or component cables [what I'm having trouble with because of the palsonics component hd inputs)

Once the system is in ntsc mode with the appropriate cabling you are able to use 480p, 720p and 1080i which I can do perfectly through xga.

The problem I am encountering comes down to the fact that the palsonics component ports will do

480i won't work through the hd ports

480p @50hz or 60hz

720p @50hz only

1080i @50hz or 60hz

As the xbox will only work in hi-def in ntsc mode it obviously puts out 60hz only so from my research and usage the palsonic will not sync at 720p @ 60hz required by the ntsc xbox (when using component ports, xga port syncs fine).

By you managing to get your dvd player to report 720p @ 60hz has thrown a complete spanner in the works though and is the 1st I have ever heard of being able to! If you can work out how to get 480i through the hd component ports I will be forever in debt to you :blink:

Gday guys , just new to this forum learning alot ...

Got a few questions

I have had a 76wshd for just under 3 years , up to now been working a treat , recently purchased a surround sound system Yamaha RX-V557B with component conversion

here is what im running

Digitec 2000a connected to the amp via YPbPr port on the back into the YPbPr port on the amp

Dvd progressice scan recorder running via YPbPr scart plug into YPbPr on amp

Via the amp im running into the tv via YPbPr , problem is im getting hazey lines and the text is non legible with no signal going up and down the screen. i have selected the right channel (YPbPr ) on the tv but with no success , is it wise to try and connect it via the component output or recommend something else

cheers guys

...back from dead

h/n have a discount warehouse open this week and have one of these units for $799 is it worth it with the current samsung/pana's dropping to around the $1100 mark?

cheers

Been running the Palsonic since October 2003 (76wshd). Some time ago I lodged posts about rolling bars in HD mode which were never recitified and is now something I've learnt to live with.

In recent days/weeks I'm noticing lines across the screen. These look like grooves, sometimes just one, sometimes two. Usually appear to be flashing. most obvious against white or light backgrounds. I'm seeing these in both XGA (dgtec 2000a) and YPbPr (yamahac750b DVD).

Anybody else seeing this issue. Sent email to palsonic this morning and will await response.

blairy

Do you still have the "rolling bars" problem? I have had the same in HD mode.

Gday guys , just new to this forum learning alot ...

Got a few questions

I have had a 76wshd for just under 3 years , up to now been working a treat , recently purchased a surround sound system Yamaha RX-V557B with component conversion

here is what im running

Digitec 2000a connected to the amp via YPbPr port on the back into the YPbPr port on the amp

Dvd progressice scan recorder running via YPbPr scart plug into YPbPr on amp

Via the amp im running into the tv via YPbPr , problem is im getting hazey lines and the text is non legible with no signal going up and down the screen. i have selected the right channel (YPbPr ) on the tv but with no success , is it wise to try and connect it via the component output or recommend something else

cheers guys

I've got the same problem. I have a Panasonic DVD-S25 progressive scan dvd player with YPbPr component cable outputs. When I run component cables from these outputs to the YPbPr inputs on my 76WSHD, I get the same hazy lines and "No Signal" scroll up and down the screen. When I put the same cables into the YCbCr inputs on the 76WSHD, the image is fine.

Another problem I've noticed (particularly when playing games on my 76WSHD) is the "brightness shift" that I heard one or two other people mention on these forums. Whenever there's a bright flash on the screen, the brightness/contrast takes a "step down" so to speak, and it will stay this way until the next bright flash or for 5 - 10 minutes. Any ideas how to solve either of these problems?

Edited by renzokuken

I've got the same problem. I have a Panasonic DVD-S25 progressive scan dvd player with YPbPr component cable outputs. When I run component cables from these outputs to the YPbPr inputs on my 76WSHD, I get the same hazy lines and "No Signal" scroll up and down the screen. When I put the same cables into the YCbCr inputs on the 76WSHD, the image is fine.

Another problem I've noticed (particularly when playing games on my 76WSHD) is the "brightness shift" that I heard one or two other people mention on these forums. Whenever there's a bright flash on the screen, the brightness/contrast takes a "step down" so to speak, and it will stay this way until the next bright flash or for 5 - 10 minutes. Any ideas how to solve either of these problems?

I used to have the Palsonic TV and found it to be a reliable unit. The Pioneer progressive scan DVD player I had hooked up via YPbPr Component had no problems at all.

You may want to try setting your DVD player to output an interlaced and not a progressive signal. You can find this setting in the DVD player menu setup. As the Palsonic TV is a progressive monitor it will automatically process the native DVD signal which is interlaced. It may be reprocessing an already de-interlaced signal which causes the lines you see.

I never experienced the 'brightness flash' problem that you mention. Initally the TV set was hooked up to a Teac stb via component and then my HTPC via VGA.

My wife cannot watch digital TV on an LCD or Plasma as it gives her a headache.

Does anyone know of these units still being sold at any retailer? It sounds like a perfect solution for my bedroom hooked up to a htpc...

Thanks

Sean

Does anyone know of these units still being sold at any retailer? It sounds like a perfect solution for my bedroom hooked up to a htpc...

Thanks

Sean

Haven't seen any for some months. No longer listed on Palsonic website. I did see them a few months ago in both Domayne and HN at Penrith NSW. Email Palsonic and ask them to point you to a retailer. You might also find these second hand on (say) ebay. Not sure how big your bedroom is, but this is a large unit...quite deep.

CARE: Look out for the 76WSHD - it's the model I have. A later model - 76WSHD A - is apparently not so good.

Haven't seen any for some months. No longer listed on Palsonic website. I did see them a few months ago in both Domayne and HN at Penrith NSW. Email Palsonic and ask them to point you to a retailer. You might also find these second hand on (say) ebay. Not sure how big your bedroom is, but this is a large unit...quite deep.

CARE: Look out for the 76WSHD - it's the model I have. A later model - 76WSHD A - is apparently not so good.

Not sure what model exactly but HN clearance centre at Auburn have a HD Palsonic 76cm for approx $800, bit grubby looking.

Well here's an update for all of you .. I was the first person to post a message about this TV... In September 06 my 3 year warranty ran out ..... and this week as you would guess the TV went pop! Had the Tech out today and have been advised that the power supply has died ... He has litterally taken the whole guts of the TV away leaving me the body and the tube .. It'll be a few days before it's back together and I've got a bill!

So has anyone else experienced greif with this TV??

My PS went a few months ago - but it was fixed within the week and is still firing beautifully - so is the Panasonic QT2140 STB I bought with it !!! Still reckon the picture on this TV is superior to many big name LCD/Plasmas going around now.

Well here's an update for all of you .. I was the first person to post a message about this TV... In September 06 my 3 year warranty ran out ..... and this week as you would guess the TV went pop! Had the Tech out today and have been advised that the power supply has died ... He has litterally taken the whole guts of the TV away leaving me the body and the tube .. It'll be a few days before it's back together and I've got a bill!

So has anyone else experienced greif with this TV??

Hello all Palsonic 76WSHD lovers,

This is my first post, so hope I get it right!

I bought this TV in late 2003, and it has been great. Have recently bought a Sony SVR-HD700 Hard Disk Recorder, so I can experience digital TV. Mostly in all works fine. But everytime I turn the TV on, about five minutes after doing so, I lose digital signal for about 10 minutes. Then the signal returns, and stays perfectly, until next time I turn the TV on. I have tried turning everything on & off, but it still takes 10 minutes for the signal to return, no matter what I do. Does anybody else have a similar problem, or have any suggestions how to fix this.

Anologue reception is perfect on all channels all of the time. Digital TV problem when first turning on the TV is the same no matter what channel is on. I am in Newtown in Sydney, up high. Could probably see Kings Cross from the attic, which is where the TV is. Doesn't seem to be an aerial or reception problem, as once the signal comes back, it is perfect. Currently manage the problem by trying to remember to turn the TV on 15 minutes before I really want to, but if you forget, and the last episode of the West Wing is about to start........quickly switch back to analogue asap!

Thanks for any help or advice any one can give me.

Thanks for any help or advice any one can give me.
Is it the TV or the PVR that's the issue? If analogue is aok, then presumably its the PVR. Try plugging the PVR into a 'portable' somewhere and seeing if the problem persists. If so, its broke and send it back for repair/replacement.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Is it the TV or the PVR that's the issue? If analogue is aok, then presumably its the PVR. Try plugging the PVR into a 'portable' somewhere and seeing if the problem persists. If so, its broke and send it back for repair/replacement.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the advice. After reading your reply I went searching through this forum and found quite a bit about this particular Sony model -128 pages! Seems I am not the only one to experience this problem. I also discovered that other people experience the "Can't playback", freezing etc., so I will take your advice and pay my local Sony service centre a visit. Bought the PVR a few months ago, so hopefully they can fix these glitches. From what I have read on the forum, they should be quite experienced by now!

Thanks again,

Sarah

A blast from the past !

My Palsonic just turned 5 years old and I still think it has one of the best HD pictures around....there are only a few HD LCD/plasmas I have seen that are better. Only one problem with the PS but apart from that not a problem and as it is a CRT I'll have it a few years yet.

Picked up the Palsonic 76 WSHD last Tuesday night, along with dgtec 2000a.

Had seen the TV in action in three stores showing three different inputs...analogue; digital tv and DVD. All looked good and hardly normal have these in Sydney at $1999; so to do digital home zone and Domayne.

STB is cheapest HD box and also has XGA connection. If it's no good I'll swap it for the Pana...

Night one, set up analogue channels. TV picks up far more than ye olde faithful telly...although some are not brilliant quality.

Also set up STB, but could only get three channels...connected via XGA (which comes with the Palsonic) and HDTV picture is fantastic. Channel Nine demo is magnificient. Later lost all digi channels bar SBS and WIN. Today, after a successful morning of antenna/masthead amp tweaking I'm now enjoying HDTV in all its glory...and the Palsonic was made for HDTV...fantastic

Hooked up pie&beer dvd355 via composite cable on night one and was very impressed. Night two saw dvd reconnected with a THX Monster component cable...I am astounded at the vast improvement in quality this cable gives. I am also blown away by the Palsonic's performance on DVD's.

Also have satellite digital fox connected by composite cable. This looks great too...imo on par with SD broadcast. Way better than analogue. Now need to work out how to hook up fox box by s-video cable.

Only downer is the vcr...quality was always poor on old set, especially in comparison to DVD. Mind you, I haven't watched a video cassette in some time, but others in the household do...

Anyone thinking about WS TV...the Palsonic wins hands down. It's less expensive than many SD WS TV's and is feature packed. Most importantly, picture is fabulous. :D I haven't done anything so far with settings (colour, brightness, geometry) as out of the box is quite good. Naturally, I'm looking forward to tweaking these features.

I'm off to play lounge lizard...bike racing from Philip Island; pot loads of rugby with multi-view features followed by soccer around midnight :ph34r:

I need an emoticon of a pig in mud...because I'm as happy as one.

blairy

A blast from the past !

My Palsonic just turned 5 years old and I still think it has one of the best HD pictures around....there are only a few HD LCD/plasmas I have seen that are better. Only one problem with the PS but apart from that not a problem and as it is a CRT I'll have it a few years yet.

Bloody hell...mine was five years old on 18/10.

Fantastic TV and Palsonic service is nothing short of excellent.

Over the past twelve months or so both living rooms have been upgarded to flat panels...the palsonic was in the second room for a while but was just too big.

It wound up in my eldest daughter's bedroom. Couple of weeks ago strolled in to ask her something...she was watching the same hidef broadcast as was on in main living room...glanced at palsonic and was taken aback at how good it looked. This is still one great tv.

The palsonic is now doing servicew in my son's new house, he took it about three weeks ago. At the moment he has aerial/reception issues which need some some work. Mind you the PS dvd player still looked great last weekend.

Five years and still looking good...what a great buy.

Wonder how'll we be doing in another five years.

Bloody hell...mine was five years old on 18/10.

Fantastic TV and Palsonic service is nothing short of excellent.

Over the past twelve months or so both living rooms have been upgarded to flat panels...the palsonic was in the second room for a while but was just too big.

It wound up in my eldest daughter's bedroom. Couple of weeks ago strolled in to ask her something...she was watching the same hidef broadcast as was on in main living room...glanced at palsonic and was taken aback at how good it looked. This is still one great tv.

The palsonic is now doing servicew in my son's new house, he took it about three weeks ago. At the moment he has aerial/reception issues which need some some work. Mind you the PS dvd player still looked great last weekend.

Five years and still looking good...what a great buy.

Wonder how'll we be doing in another five years.

I was always happy with mine, until 2 years ago the tube went. Palsonic's service was rubbish, they took almost six months to obtain a refurbished replacement, which has just popped also. I now have a 96kg paper weight which is out of warranty. For a $2000 TV to last 3 years and pop, then the replacement to last only 2... well this speaks alot of the quality involved here. I need to obtain a replacement tube cheap if possible as I was still happy with PQ. Can anyone assist here as Palsonic has simply stopped replying to me... funny that. I will NEVER buy a thing from them again, and would advise anyone reading this to do the same.

JSmith

:ninja: