Picked up the Palsonic 76 WSHD last Tuesday night, along with dgtec 2000a.

Had seen the TV in action in three stores showing three different inputs...analogue; digital tv and DVD.  All looked good and hardly normal have these in Sydney at $1999; so to do digital home zone and Domayne.

STB is cheapest HD box and also has XGA connection. If it's no good I'll swap it for the Pana...

Night one, set up analogue channels. TV picks up far more than ye olde faithful telly...although some are not brilliant quality.

Also set up STB, but could only get three channels...connected via XGA (which comes with the Palsonic) and HDTV picture is fantastic. Channel Nine demo is magnificient. Later lost all digi channels bar SBS and WIN. Today, after a successful morning of antenna/masthead amp tweaking I'm now enjoying HDTV in all its glory...and the Palsonic was made for HDTV...fantastic

Hooked up pie&beer dvd355 via composite cable on night one and was very impressed. Night two saw dvd reconnected with a THX Monster component cable...I am astounded at the vast improvement in quality this cable gives.  I am also blown away by the Palsonic's performance on DVD's.

Also have satellite digital fox connected by composite cable. This looks great too...imo on par with SD broadcast. Way better than analogue. Now need to work out how to hook up fox box by s-video cable.

Only downer is the vcr...quality was always poor on old set, especially in comparison to DVD. Mind you, I haven't watched a video cassette in some time, but others in the household do...

Anyone thinking about WS TV...the Palsonic wins hands down.  It's less expensive than many SD WS TV's and is feature packed. Most importantly, picture is fabulous. :blink:  I haven't done anything so far with settings (colour, brightness, geometry) as out of the box is quite good.  Naturally, I'm looking forward to tweaking these features.

I'm off to play lounge lizard...bike racing from Philip Island; pot loads of rugby with multi-view features followed by soccer around midnight :ph34r:

I need an emoticon of a pig in mud...because I'm as happy as one.

blairy

Another good review by blairy...me thinks I'm gonna take the plunge and pick one up...For the price you can't really go wrong.

Can someone elaborate on the pic quality when veiwing progessive DVD via component?

And I love the 'pie&beer'...good one!

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

blooming and bleeding....

Last night I had been playing around with the connections on my new Palsonic...attempting to set up Fox via S-video. Later when I sat down to actually watch tv, noticed some discolouration on the right of the screen.

Switched to input with no signal to obtain blue screen. Bottom right corner had a red bleed type effect and about two thirds of the way up on the right was a distinct blooming effect, in a darker shade of blue. This was apparent too when a signal was present. Skin colours over the red corner had a greenish tint to them.

Switched tv off and also turned off power. Restarted ten minutes later and all back to perfect. Also checked again this morning and still perfect.

Anyone know what I may have done, so I can avoid doing it again (or determine if this is a fault with my tv)?

Also thought I should flag what might be an issue, on this forum.

blairy

Well I've now had my Palsonic and Panasonic 2140 for three days so here's my impressions so far.

PQ is excellent although like blariy, I've had some red bleed on the right hand side of the screen. It's only noticeable on the blue screen but no amount of degaussing seems to remove it The only speakers in the room are in the TV.

It may be because my system was from floor stock and had had a more exciting life than I've been lead to believe. I'll try to talk to Palsonic tomorrow about this.

There does seem to be a green viertical bar on the left hand third of the screen, only visible on a black background under artificial light. I'm hoping this will dissapear when I get the contrast set correctly

The Panasonic has had no problems nor does it appear to overheat as some previous posters had suggested. It's tuned to all available stations both TV and Radio with signal strength never dropping below and indicated 80%

All I need to do now is to drop out some of the channels to make selection a bit easier. I don't really need four identical ABCs nor Tens.

On the whole, colour me happy! [so far the best program has been this afternoons bike racing from Phillip Island.]

I did have a minor problem getting the TV on to the stand (matching Palsonic) but I lured the neightbour in with promises of beer and he helped me to fix that.

I later made the mistake of trying to straighten up the stand by myself - it wasn't completely parallel with the wall. I should have loosened the bracket holding the glass shelves in. The pressure was too much for the bottom shelf and it shattered! Safety glass luckily but still quite a mess. I doubt I'll get a replacement through Palsonic so it's off to the glass shop tomorrow.

Yes I am getting discolouration as well (minor, looks like a slight muddiness of colour)- my "shielded" centre speaker is obviously not quite shielded enough! When I remove it the picture goes back to perfect.

Gripes with the set (minor)-

1) tuner is cr@p, wiggly lines across screen. You bought this set to use a settop box anyway so this is not really a big deal

2) user interface for on-screen menus is bizarre

3) Picture loses sync when screen flashes white (e.g. start of Fifth Element, black asteroid against space background explodes white)

All in all, still happy with a real bargain set!

Indulis

Red corner on blue (no input screen) has gone and not returned. Severe blue blooming disappeared.

After last couple of posts (thanks all for your interest and help) I have now noted some minor discolouration on the LHS of screen...slightly darker shade of blue.

Of course there is a speaker adjacent to this side of the TV...

Powered down for a few minutes (turned off at wall) and moved speaker a further foot or so (that's about 30cm :blink: ) away...

Problem solved. No discolouration, blooming nor bleeding when viewing either a plain blue or black screen...

Thanks again

blairy

Day 4

This TV is a big brand names KILLER.

1. Out of the box HD PQ is excellent. (Set top PANA connected via XGA)

2. RF tuner, needs some work, but then again I have not seen yet any WS digital ready (or whatever they like to call them) TV, to beat in RF PQ my 17 years old 56” JVC TV

You can go to any store with displays and you will see ALL this sets in RF look from bad to worst. After all you get them to see DIGITAL!! (With the set top box)

3. Progressive scan pic quality when viewing progressive DVD (via HDTV component inputs of the Palsonic) is fantastic. (I have the SONY dvp-ns730p DVD player)

So far so good, I am more than happy with it. :blink:

In case anyone is interested, I have seen this unit on sale for $1800 at Retravision on the Central Coast. The sales guy also said he'd do a further deal for cash.

Sorely tempted.

Hi,

I picked up a Palsonic 76WSHD and Panasonic QTR2140 yesterday. I have them connected via the XGA lead. Having problems setting the RED level.

RED and GREEN levels seem to high, I have both set at 0 and the tulips in the 9 HD loop are too RED and the grass looks too green. Skin tones dont look natural on program.

Can anyone with this combination tell me their settings for RED and GREEN.

I rang Panasonic and was told you can't use this output for HDTV and to swap to the component output..........

I'm also getting a noise in the audio when changing channels, it is there in the TV audio and the optical output to my Yamaha receiver, has anyone else got this.

Thanks for any comments.

Ron.

Hi,

Picked up my 76wshd on Friday and am extremely happy with it. Plugged in a panasonic qtr2140 for my first taste of digital TV. Now I have to wait until Feb. to be able to see more than just SBS and ABC.

I have been playing with the contrast/brightness/colour and have not managed to find something that I am completely happy with although what comes through the Austar STB seems to vary greatly from channel to channel.

What settings is everyone else with this set using?

Hey all,

A quick question, is the 76WSHD actually capable of displaying a resolution of 1920X1080i? or does it just take the 1080i input and convert it to its native res?

I'm thinking of picking one of these up, 'cause I'm sick of watching HD on my 21" Trinitron (via VGA on DH-2000a). But if they don't display the proper 1920x1080i res I'll just keep watching HD through my monitor :blink:

Hello All,

I have been reading this forum with much inteset and finally took the plunge and made a purchase.

For your info I picked up the Palsonic 76WSHD and a Panasonic QTR2140 for $2550 including delivery from my local retravision in Perth. I was told stocks of the TV arriving Friday or Monday. I took the STB home.

So once it arrives I will give some feedback. I am interested in connecting up my progressive scan dvd player and seeing how good it is. Much better than my LG flatron 59cm I hope!

cheers

I have them connected via the XGA lead. Having problems setting the RED level.

RED and GREEN levels seem to high, I have both set at 0 and the tulips in the 9 HD loop are  too RED and the grass looks too green. Skin tones dont look natural on program.

Can anyone with this combination tell me their settings for RED and GREEN.

I rang Panasonic and was told you can't use this output for HDTV and to swap to the component output..........

Hi

RonF

1) on page 35 (Palsonic's manual) For Red-Green adjustment.

2) Both manuals (TV-HDBOX) page 10 TV . page 6-7 BOX,refer to XGA interface connection between TV and HDBOX.

niko

No CRT TV (and no affordable LCDs or plasmas) can fully resolve 1080i at the moment. It is most unlikely that such a CRT device will become available in the near future because of technical difficulties (mainly the loss in brightness as resolution is screwed down and the need for lower frequencies - making the picture nearly unwatchable as a TV).

I'm not sure what the current crop of CRTs can resolve. Most rely on a good quality tube and supporting hardware, together with various 'proprieratry' software. However, I would say that all current 'HD Ready' CRTs on the market give a superior picture with a 576p or 1080i input compared to any analogue or integrated SD unit you can buy. All current 'HD Ready' units give a similar performance in terms of the quality of the picture with a HD input. Where you are paying for the difference relates to the size of the tube, the number of inputs, quality (eg reliability and longevity of hardware) and number of features (eg automatic save of picture settings for up to 4 different inputs, PIP, set-up, sound/speakers etc).

Having watched both SD and HD demos in the store before buying, there is DEFINITELY an improvement in the HD 1080i... whatever the horzontal resolution is...

I have noticed my set also has the "change size depending on brightness" feature. Not a lot, about 5mm change as far as I can see. Do other 16x9 TVs have the same problem? This is most apparent when viewing 4:3 with side and top/bottom black borders.

Cheers,

Indulis

No CRT TV (and no affordable LCDs or plasmas) can fully resolve 1080i at the moment.  It is most unlikely that such a CRT device will become available in the near future because of technical difficulties (mainly the loss in brightness as resolution is screwed down and the need for lower frequencies - making the picture nearly unwatchable as a TV).

I'm not sure what the current crop of CRTs can resolve.  Most rely on a good quality tube and supporting hardware, together with various 'proprieratry' software.  However, I would say that all current 'HD Ready' CRTs on the market give a superior picture with a 576p or 1080i input compared to any analogue or integrated SD unit you can buy.  All current 'HD Ready' units give a similar performance in terms of the quality of the picture with a HD input.  Where you are paying for the difference relates to the size of the tube, the number of inputs, quality (eg reliability and longevity of hardware) and number of features (eg automatic save of picture settings for up to 4 different inputs, PIP, set-up, sound/speakers etc).

Ummmm, most 19" CRT computer monitors can display 2048x1536p so I'd hardly say there will never be a CRT than can do 1080i in the near future.

I am sure that you can find faults in this TV ... But seriously folks for $2K and the quality of the image that is displayed in HD .. How can you go wrong.

I set up a Sharp Aquos 37" LCD today for a client .. It cost $13K is not HD and IMHO looks like crap! So the Palsonic is the go

Follow up my previous post. Received and set up the Palsonic on Saturday and I am very happy.

Setup the Pana on Friday and was surprised by the increased quality of the picture on my old 4:3 59cm LG flatron. I had great analogue reception before and thought the difference would be minor. I was wrong! The STB is very easy to set up and use. Minor niggle was the fact that all settings were lost when unplugging and swapping to the Palsonic.

Lifting the Palsonic was an effort, but worth the hernia! Picture quality out of the box was very impressive. I connected the TV through the XGA connection (STB set to AA) and my DVD through the component connections. The menus on the TV are a bit eccentric and will take some getting used to. Still haven’t fully explored all settings yet. I haven’t managed to get the progressive scan on the DVD working yet either. Could be my Omni DV3200P DVD player though. Any suggestions? DVDs look amazing anyway. Put on my copy of Gladiator and was impressed.

Watched Mission Impossible in HD last night and was blown away by the picture. Colours seem a little over saturated (but still very watchable) even after adjusting R and G and temperature. My previous LG would also be too bright on the reds also (as well as destroying any blacks). I would be interested in knowing what colour sound etc settings anyone else is using.

Sound wise the Palsonic is average. I got a bit worried when I first connected up the set as it was only producing sound at low volumes and squeak at anything above a whisper. Mucked around with a few settings and sound restored. Still don’t know what I did to fix it. I use the TV more like a monitor anyway since I use my hi-fi for sound when it counts (no surround amp yet so I would have preferred if the ears shaped speakers were a bit smaller).

The STB has had a couple of glitches. It does run warm near where I assume the transformer is located (where the 240V runs in) but no more so than any other similar device I have owned. It has also frozen 3 times and required to be unplugged to get it going again. 2 of the 3 times it froze was on channel 9, screen froze and STB and TV were unresponsive with remote or buttons. The 3rd time I can’t remember what channel I was on (I was channel flicking). Got some relief when a colleague at work also said his dodgy tech froze on 9 last night also and required a restart. Also ABC on Saturday morning was breaking up a lot. Been ok since. The STB time display when switched off didn’t work Sunday night either. Maybe something to do with daylight savings confused the STB? I am hoping that I will have no more troubles with the STB.

The performance of my VCR seems to have dropped since connected to the Palsonic. The LG seemed to do a better job. The picture seems a bit unstable and colour either a little washed out or too saturated. I suggested keeping the LG for VCR duties but was quickly reminded by the wife that our small house doesn’t have the space! The tuner of the LG also seemed a bit better. Reinforces my use of the Palsonic as a monitor.

Apart these minor things very happy with the quality and value for money. Will need to save up for hard drive video recorder now to make the most of the quality!

Cheers :blink:

Has anyone noticed fine horizontal lines, moving up (or down) the screen on 1080i input? They are most noticable when the TV is warming up and when there is a blue background.

I've noticed it on mine and on a demo set in Harvey Normans - it happens on both the DGTEC & Panasonic through XGA and Component at 1080i only. All other resolutions - 576p, 720p and 576i are fine. Apart from this annoyance, the TV is an absolute bargin for the picture quality.

Travis

...and my DVD through the component connections.... I haven’t managed to get the progressive scan on the DVD working yet either.

You probably know this already, but in case you dont: if you set the DVD player to progressive scan, you'll need to move it from the Y/Cb/Cr (DVD) inputs to the Y/Pb/Pr (HDTV) inputs. But also beware that the HDTV inputs won't handle 576i, which is a royal pain in the butt, and sure to confuse new 76WSHD/Rank/DEC owners.

...and my DVD through the component connections....    I haven’t managed to get the progressive scan on the DVD working yet either.

You probably know this already, but in case you dont: if you set the DVD player to progressive scan, you'll need to move it from the Y/Cb/Cr (DVD) inputs to the Y/Pb/Pr (HDTV) inputs. But also beware that the HDTV inputs won't handle 576i, which is a royal pain in the butt, and sure to confuse new 76WSHD/Rank/DEC owners.

Excuse my ignorance but does this mean that you can't have both progressive and PAL interlaced DVD through the same input?

PaulInMelbourne Posted on Oct 28 2003, 02:30 AM

Thanks PaulInMelbourne, I haven't had a chance to read through the manual yet from cover to cover (way too busy). I did have a look at the inputs last night and thought that I might have to change them around. I am going to Jaycar today to buy some of their Hi Qual Component connecters STOCK-CODE: WQ7238 to see if they make any difference to DVD picture.

Has anyone tried connecting the Pana STB in 576p mode? Does this make any difference?

By the way, thanks for this great post, there is some good info in here. Convinced me to put my money down anyway.

Has anyone noticed fine horizontal lines, moving up (or down) the screen on 1080i input? They are most noticable when the TV is warming up and when there is a blue background.

I too have these horizontal bars. They seem to move or down the screen. Using DGTEC 2000a via XGA. I get themon all digital channels/formats.

After purchasing TV had a new antenna installed. These bar started after antenna install and weren't there with old antenna. The antenna man is coming back in teh next couple of days to adjust.

I'll let you know how it pans out, but in the meantime you might want to consider your antenna as the problem.

Yeah i have these bars also, but they usually only appear when the television is warming up. They seems to discipate a little the longer the set has been on though it could just be my eyes adjusting to the set. :blink:

I seem to get the same lines on component and they were even around when I had my Toshiba STB - I now have a Pana STB connected via HDTV.

I have to say that for me these bars are a very minor annoyance but and seem to go away after a while. Videophiles would probably be most irratated by them though.

Interesting that it may be the antenna causing the problem - i'd like to hear about how you go Blairy.

Excuse my ignorance but does this mean that you can't have both progressive and PAL interlaced DVD through the same input?

Thats right, but I guess normally you would never switch your DVD player back to interlaced.

Not being able to do 576i on HDTV inputs is one of the reasons why the Toshiba STB isn't recommended for this TV, since when you change a channel it'll spit out whatever is being broadcast, which can be one of 576i, 576p, 1080i. After you change the channel, you can press another button to upconvert to 576p/1080i, so it's liveable, but inconvenient.

mrmaxwell,

I saw the Panasonic 200A about two weeks ago is DSE at Moore Park Supacenta Sydney. It was connected to the Pana HDSTB via component.

I have to say I was very disappointed by the picture - it was sitting next the new Sony 86cm and the Sony blew it away. I actually thought the picture was marginal on the Pana 150A that was on the other side.

Perhaps I was expecting a lot with all the hype it had received and having just bought a Palsonic 76WSHD few weeks earlier.

Maybe the drones at DSE had set the Pana up wrong, but IMHO the ch.9 demo on the Palsonic looked better than what the Panasonic was offering.

If I had $5K I would buy the Sony 86cm for sure, since I don't I am very happy with the Palsonic for $2K. There is no way I would buy the Pana 200A for $3500 from what I saw.

still waiting for antenna man to revisit and hopefully correct horizontal bars. Having said that, watching tonight on all channels I cannot see bars in spite of specifically looking for them. Still getting sound drop outs and pixelation though.

Couple of comments about this great tv...

Sound out...doesn't include sound input to HD inputs nor (I think) RF input.

When watching HDTV, set tv volume as low as possible and adjust from your stb. When tv volume is set too high you get a buzzing sound from the speakers.

In spite of all that, for a tv, the sound is nothing short of excellent.

still waiting for antenna man to revisit and hopefully correct horizontal bars. Having said that, watching tonight on all channels I cannot see bars in spite of specifically looking for them. Still getting sound drop outs and pixelation though.

Blairy, I don't see how an antenna problem could induce horizontal lines on a decoded digital signal. I don't even have an antenna connected to my Palsonic and I still see the lines. Maybe its being induced inside the TV itself?

I've now had the Palsonic for two weeks. Still happy with it but...

I have distinct set of vertical bars that I'm sure correspond to spacing of the inbuilt colour bar generator that is an alternative to the blue screen setting.

I can almost get rid of them by playing with the contrast but I feel the picture quality is compromised.

Anyone else see these?

I have distinct set of vertical bars that I'm sure correspond to spacing of the inbuilt colour bar generator that is an alternative to the blue screen setting.

These are bars of alternating red, green, blue, right?

I also get these bars when the horizontal size is set within a certain range. The correct horizontal size setting for my TV is outside this range, so it is not a problem on my set.

I discovered this when I had configured my set to use alot of overscan, in an attempt to fix strong distortion at the horizontal extremities. FYI, it didn't fix the distortion, so my set is due to be exchanged over for a new one sometime soon.

I too have these horizontal bars. They seem to move or down the screen. Using DGTEC 2000a via XGA. I get themon all digital channels/formats.

After purchasing TV had a new antenna installed. These bar started after antenna install and weren't there with old antenna. The antenna man is coming back in teh next couple of days to adjust.

I'll let you know how it pans out, but in the meantime you might want to consider your antenna as the problem.

Pretty sure your problem is an earthing problem , unplug the antenna and just try to run from some rabbit ears if you can ,see what happens. An earth loop can develop between any two earthed points and cause black moving bars on the picture , the stronger the noise the darker the lines .

These are bars of alternating red, green, blue, right?

I also get these bars when the horizontal size is set within a certain range. The correct horizontal size setting for my TV is outside this range, so it is not a problem on my set.

I discovered this when I had configured my set to use alot of overscan, in an attempt to fix strong distortion at the horizontal extremities. FYI, it didn't fix the distortion, so my set is due to be exchanged over for a new one sometime soon.

Thanks Paul! I played around with horizontal size and found that it was overscanning. The problem has now gone.

FWIW, I hadn't altered picture geometry or size at all, it's how it came from the store.

There's been a number of posts about horizontal bars...

Thanks to all who have suggested possible causes/solutions.

Antenna man is still to return.

However, elsewhere in this forum there have been posts about digital outputs from stb. I'm using the dgtec 2000a and have now switched to HD2 output. Refer Dans Data

Changing to HD2 saw the need for some geometry adjustments. Played around with geometry and think it's now pretty close. PQ on HD2 is the same although colours are a little sharper.

The problem I had been having with hoizontal black bars waving up and down the screen is (on HD2) decidely less noticeable. In fact you only pick it up if looking for it. Knowing it's there is more of an issue than the bars themselves.

Of course, now that I've played around with the geometry, I've noticed that the edges of the picture are not perfectly straight. (This is noticeable in both HD1 and HD2 modes.) Along the top of the picture it curves down in the middle. The sides are like a piece of cloth that has not been cut perfectly. The bottom is close to a straight line, but again not perfect. I've simply enlarged the picture so the faults are not seen. Not sure if that's the right thing to do though.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

blairy

If your using HD2 and XGA, you might want to use the V-MOIRE control to reduce the patterning that you may have. I had to set mine at 209 for HD2, but funnily, it reports the vertical refresh as 50.2Hz..... strange... and there is a bit of an interlace twitch that isn't on HD1.

Thanks for the reports on the earthing problem.. i'll give some bunny ears on the STB a try (i don't have any RF connections to the TV at all, just to the STB).

Of course, now that I've played around with the geometry, I've noticed that the edges of the picture are not perfectly straight. (This is noticeable in both HD1 and HD2 modes.) Along the top of the picture it curves down in the middle. The sides are like a piece of cloth that has not been cut perfectly. The bottom is close to a straight line, but again not perfect. I've simply enlarged the picture so the faults are not seen. Not sure if that's the right thing to do though.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

blairy

My parents just bought one of these sets and it suffers from the problem you have described with the uneven edges (we are using a dh-2000a as well), I wonder if this is a TV set issue or with the dh-2000a?

BTW, has anyone noticed that the picture gets squashed slighty at the left and right edges when the picture is 16:9 fullscreen (both DVD and DTV)? I have found it is most noticeable when text scrolls across horizontally.

BTW, has anyone noticed that the picture gets squashed slighty at the left and right edges when the picture is 16:9 fullscreen (both DVD and DTV)? I have found it is most noticeable when text scrolls across horizontally.

Yes, this is particularly bad on my set. I get compression on the extreme left/right edges, expansion as it moves towards the centre, and then slight compression again at the centre. To make it worse, the text seems to rise ever so slightly towards the centre. When watching the scrolling text on the 7 program guide, you can actually see the text change from moving up to moving down as it passes the centre of the screen. When I watched the Easy Riders DVD, theres are a rotating 360 degree shot that really highlighted this problem. To their credit, Palsonic are organising a replacement set (it has a few other problems as well). Will post all the details once I get the replacement.