Sign in to follow this  
Psuedo Visual

Palsonic 76WSHD

Is $1999 the RRP? If so there is room to move below this?

You can't really go wrong for the price if you want an entry level HD set can you?

What does NTSC/PAL progressive DVD's look like on this set? Any feedback?

I have had no clicking with the nine demo .. Infact I have not had an issue with the set .. I am using the DGTEC box connected by VGA.

The only issue I had was bad video playback on S-Video 1 .. That turned out to be my mistake .. I had plugged both composite and and S-Video from my VCR via the AV receiever .. As soon as I unplugged the composite is was great.

So far I'm happy

I probably should report that since I have been using the Panasonic STB I have had none of the clicking problems that I was having with the Toshiba.

So I guess I am very happy with the set again. :blink:

I probably should report that since I have been using the Panasonic STB I have had none of the clicking problems that I was having with the Toshiba.

With the 5000i, the clicking has stopped, to be replaced by "no signal" message on the screen, with squiggly lines similar to what you get when you supply 576i to the HD inputs. It seems as though the TV doesn't even try anymore. Occurs about as often as before, usually after the set has been off overnight.

Any chance that you could try the component connection from your panasonic STB, see if the problem is with the HD/component inputs on the TV?

I had a play with the Palsonic and confirm that it's Remote Control is 100% identical to that of my Rank Arena 86cm HDTV.

Also the Palsonic On Screen menu options are also identical even to the menu colours to my RA.

Rick Hart in Perth are selling this for A$1999.....wotabargain

With the 5000i, the clicking has stopped, to be replaced by "no signal" message on the screen, with squiggly lines similar to what you get when you supply 576i to the HD inputs. It seems as though the TV doesn't even try anymore. Occurs about as often as before, usually after the set has been off overnight.

Any chance that you could try the component connection from your panasonic STB, see if the problem is with the HD/component inputs on the TV?

Since I bought the Panasonic HDSTB last week I have tried it connecting to both the VGA and component ports. I have had no problems with either.

Sorry you are having problems with the footy. I know lots of people on these forums have had a lots of problems with it hence its nickname.

Would recommend trying the Pana STB. You can always take it back for a refund if things don't work out.

:blink: Hi

I was about to buy the Plasonic last Saturday, went to H.N and did'not have it in stock yet (until next Friday) Whoever they had in stock the

Samsung WS32A10 and the salesman was willing to much the price with the Palsonic.. He was telling me that both sets are good.

Please advise

Well, I am now the proud owner of a new Palsonic... very nice! Had a look at this set displaying 1080i sample broadcasts and was v impressed (once I had fiddled withthe contrast/brightness controls).

I had a look at the Samsung as well and it seemed like a nice set but no digital input (Palsonic has a PC-type D-shell video input, up to 1024x768). As I am planning to get a Momitsu DVD player I wanted digital input, so case closed.

My friend who went with me earlier today said the Palsonic is *exactly* the same as the Rank Arena 86cm he has apart from the screen size. He paid >$5K last year, now I get a (slightly smaller) one for $2K.

Anyway, everything on it looks amazing- I played "Contact" on DVD tonight (composite signal) and it was very clear. The set's progressive scan upsampling works well. I can't wait to see what a 1080ii DVD player will do with this set.

Only problem so far is the *bizarre* input selection. I know it is going to cause me nightmares trying to get a macro to work on my remote control to reliably select the DVD input. 'Cos there is no way to tell it to definitely go to input 3, it depends which input you are on now. Anyway a small annoyance on an otherwise great set (so far!).

Cheers,

Indulis

PS if you are in Perth Rick Hart has stock of them

The comments in this forum have convinced me to go with the Palsonic 76WSHD, thanks

to everyone who posted on the subject.

One question, I've been offered a really good deal on floor stock from a Retravision store. Does any one have any advice one way or another if this is a good idea?

The picture quality looked fine to me, the set has been on the floor for a couple of days.

No obvious marks on the set or signs of burn in. Anything else to look for?

Good choice of this TV tumutbound, I truly believe this is the best 76cm TV for the money at the moment. I even saw the new Panasonic 76cm 200A the other day - which is receiving a lot of hype in the other thread. IMHO the Palsonic blew it away for picture quality(I verified it was running a component feed from a Panasonic STB).

In regards to purchasing floor stock obviously you should be careful: How much of a discount are they offering for the display set? Are you absolutely sure that it has only been a few days that the TV has been displayed? This set has been around for a long time - you probably have read it's original price was something like $3999.

According to the salesman. they have had it on the floor for 'a few days'. It has full warranty so I'm not too concerned about problems in fact I've called them back and told them to put it in a box. for me :blink:

The deal was (IMHO) very good, the 76WSHD with stand plus a Palsonic combination DVD and VHS recorder for $2350. The list price for the DVD/VHS was $350 and the stand lists for $249.

I was so happy with the price, I also got a Panasonic HD STB (QTR2140) for $795. Not sure if this is the best price I could get but it beats running all overtown and haggling, instead I can be at home watching TV!

I was looking at the Strong 5290 for the built in hard disk but figure I can get a DVB-T PC card and build one for less than the asking price of the Strong - and it will be more fun to do it that way.

Well my system was delivered yesterday and is now set up - on the floor, that thing is heavy.

All I can say is fan bloody tastic!

Setting up was pretty straight forward apart from a few misconnected cables - I guess that's what the manuals are for. Signal strength is fine with rabbits ears (Sydney, inner west) so no need to persuade the landlord to let me put up an external antenna.

I'm well pleased with what I got for my money. I only hope there are a few HD programs on the weekend.

I'm sure there is still a bit more fiddling and tuning to do (does anyone still transmit test patterns??)

Just got the the Palsonic and the Panasonic HD STB (QTR2140). Still in the box and yes ,is realy heavy. Got them both for $ 2.550 that was the best

he could do (the salesman).

I will set it up this weekend ,and keep you posted. :blink:

Picked up the Palsonic 76 WSHD last Tuesday night, along with dgtec 2000a.

Had seen the TV in action in three stores showing three different inputs...analogue; digital tv and DVD. All looked good and hardly normal have these in Sydney at $1999; so to do digital home zone and Domayne.

STB is cheapest HD box and also has XGA connection. If it's no good I'll swap it for the Pana...

Night one, set up analogue channels. TV picks up far more than ye olde faithful telly...although some are not brilliant quality.

Also set up STB, but could only get three channels...connected via XGA (which comes with the Palsonic) and HDTV picture is fantastic. Channel Nine demo is magnificient. Later lost all digi channels bar SBS and WIN. Today, after a successful morning of antenna/masthead amp tweaking I'm now enjoying HDTV in all its glory...and the Palsonic was made for HDTV...fantastic

Hooked up pie&beer dvd355 via composite cable on night one and was very impressed. Night two saw dvd reconnected with a THX Monster component cable...I am astounded at the vast improvement in quality this cable gives. I am also blown away by the Palsonic's performance on DVD's.

Also have satellite digital fox connected by composite cable. This looks great too...imo on par with SD broadcast. Way better than analogue. Now need to work out how to hook up fox box by s-video cable.

Only downer is the vcr...quality was always poor on old set, especially in comparison to DVD. Mind you, I haven't watched a video cassette in some time, but others in the household do...

Anyone thinking about WS TV...the Palsonic wins hands down. It's less expensive than many SD WS TV's and is feature packed. Most importantly, picture is fabulous. :blink: I haven't done anything so far with settings (colour, brightness, geometry) as out of the box is quite good. Naturally, I'm looking forward to tweaking these features.

I'm off to play lounge lizard...bike racing from Philip Island; pot loads of rugby with multi-view features followed by soccer around midnight :ph34r:

I need an emoticon of a pig in mud...because I'm as happy as one.

blairy

On another note, when you switch the TV to RF input, do you get 3 lines of static noise down the middle of the screen? Both my set and the display model at Mt. Waverley Retravision have this problem. Wondering if it's a problem with all sets.

I get this, not so much static, as three wavy lines running down the middle of the screen. Only in RF mode and only on the various ABC broadcasts I pick up.

SOLUTION: watch ABC in digital :blink:

Picked up the Palsonic 76 WSHD last Tuesday night, along with dgtec 2000a.

Had seen the TV in action in three stores showing three different inputs...analogue; digital tv and DVD.  All looked good and hardly normal have these in Sydney at $1999; so to do digital home zone and Domayne.

STB is cheapest HD box and also has XGA connection. If it's no good I'll swap it for the Pana...

Night one, set up analogue channels. TV picks up far more than ye olde faithful telly...although some are not brilliant quality.

Also set up STB, but could only get three channels...connected via XGA (which comes with the Palsonic) and HDTV picture is fantastic. Channel Nine demo is magnificient. Later lost all digi channels bar SBS and WIN. Today, after a successful morning of antenna/masthead amp tweaking I'm now enjoying HDTV in all its glory...and the Palsonic was made for HDTV...fantastic

Hooked up pie&beer dvd355 via composite cable on night one and was very impressed. Night two saw dvd reconnected with a THX Monster component cable...I am astounded at the vast improvement in quality this cable gives.  I am also blown away by the Palsonic's performance on DVD's.

Also have satellite digital fox connected by composite cable. This looks great too...imo on par with SD broadcast. Way better than analogue. Now need to work out how to hook up fox box by s-video cable.

Only downer is the vcr...quality was always poor on old set, especially in comparison to DVD. Mind you, I haven't watched a video cassette in some time, but others in the household do...

Anyone thinking about WS TV...the Palsonic wins hands down.  It's less expensive than many SD WS TV's and is feature packed. Most importantly, picture is fabulous. :blink:  I haven't done anything so far with settings (colour, brightness, geometry) as out of the box is quite good.  Naturally, I'm looking forward to tweaking these features.

I'm off to play lounge lizard...bike racing from Philip Island; pot loads of rugby with multi-view features followed by soccer around midnight :ph34r:

I need an emoticon of a pig in mud...because I'm as happy as one.

blairy

Another good review by blairy...me thinks I'm gonna take the plunge and pick one up...For the price you can't really go wrong.

Can someone elaborate on the pic quality when veiwing progessive DVD via component?

And I love the 'pie&beer'...good one!

blooming and bleeding....

Last night I had been playing around with the connections on my new Palsonic...attempting to set up Fox via S-video. Later when I sat down to actually watch tv, noticed some discolouration on the right of the screen.

Switched to input with no signal to obtain blue screen. Bottom right corner had a red bleed type effect and about two thirds of the way up on the right was a distinct blooming effect, in a darker shade of blue. This was apparent too when a signal was present. Skin colours over the red corner had a greenish tint to them.

Switched tv off and also turned off power. Restarted ten minutes later and all back to perfect. Also checked again this morning and still perfect.

Anyone know what I may have done, so I can avoid doing it again (or determine if this is a fault with my tv)?

Also thought I should flag what might be an issue, on this forum.

blairy

Well I've now had my Palsonic and Panasonic 2140 for three days so here's my impressions so far.

PQ is excellent although like blariy, I've had some red bleed on the right hand side of the screen. It's only noticeable on the blue screen but no amount of degaussing seems to remove it The only speakers in the room are in the TV.

It may be because my system was from floor stock and had had a more exciting life than I've been lead to believe. I'll try to talk to Palsonic tomorrow about this.

There does seem to be a green viertical bar on the left hand third of the screen, only visible on a black background under artificial light. I'm hoping this will dissapear when I get the contrast set correctly

The Panasonic has had no problems nor does it appear to overheat as some previous posters had suggested. It's tuned to all available stations both TV and Radio with signal strength never dropping below and indicated 80%

All I need to do now is to drop out some of the channels to make selection a bit easier. I don't really need four identical ABCs nor Tens.

On the whole, colour me happy! [so far the best program has been this afternoons bike racing from Phillip Island.]

I did have a minor problem getting the TV on to the stand (matching Palsonic) but I lured the neightbour in with promises of beer and he helped me to fix that.

I later made the mistake of trying to straighten up the stand by myself - it wasn't completely parallel with the wall. I should have loosened the bracket holding the glass shelves in. The pressure was too much for the bottom shelf and it shattered! Safety glass luckily but still quite a mess. I doubt I'll get a replacement through Palsonic so it's off to the glass shop tomorrow.

Yes I am getting discolouration as well (minor, looks like a slight muddiness of colour)- my "shielded" centre speaker is obviously not quite shielded enough! When I remove it the picture goes back to perfect.

Gripes with the set (minor)-

1) tuner is cr@p, wiggly lines across screen. You bought this set to use a settop box anyway so this is not really a big deal

2) user interface for on-screen menus is bizarre

3) Picture loses sync when screen flashes white (e.g. start of Fifth Element, black asteroid against space background explodes white)

All in all, still happy with a real bargain set!

Indulis

Red corner on blue (no input screen) has gone and not returned. Severe blue blooming disappeared.

After last couple of posts (thanks all for your interest and help) I have now noted some minor discolouration on the LHS of screen...slightly darker shade of blue.

Of course there is a speaker adjacent to this side of the TV...

Powered down for a few minutes (turned off at wall) and moved speaker a further foot or so (that's about 30cm :blink: ) away...

Problem solved. No discolouration, blooming nor bleeding when viewing either a plain blue or black screen...

Thanks again

blairy

Day 4

This TV is a big brand names KILLER.

1. Out of the box HD PQ is excellent. (Set top PANA connected via XGA)

2. RF tuner, needs some work, but then again I have not seen yet any WS digital ready (or whatever they like to call them) TV, to beat in RF PQ my 17 years old 56” JVC TV

You can go to any store with displays and you will see ALL this sets in RF look from bad to worst. After all you get them to see DIGITAL!! (With the set top box)

3. Progressive scan pic quality when viewing progressive DVD (via HDTV component inputs of the Palsonic) is fantastic. (I have the SONY dvp-ns730p DVD player)

So far so good, I am more than happy with it. :blink:

In case anyone is interested, I have seen this unit on sale for $1800 at Retravision on the Central Coast. The sales guy also said he'd do a further deal for cash.

Sorely tempted.

Hi,

I picked up a Palsonic 76WSHD and Panasonic QTR2140 yesterday. I have them connected via the XGA lead. Having problems setting the RED level.

RED and GREEN levels seem to high, I have both set at 0 and the tulips in the 9 HD loop are too RED and the grass looks too green. Skin tones dont look natural on program.

Can anyone with this combination tell me their settings for RED and GREEN.

I rang Panasonic and was told you can't use this output for HDTV and to swap to the component output..........

I'm also getting a noise in the audio when changing channels, it is there in the TV audio and the optical output to my Yamaha receiver, has anyone else got this.

Thanks for any comments.

Ron.

Hi,

Picked up my 76wshd on Friday and am extremely happy with it. Plugged in a panasonic qtr2140 for my first taste of digital TV. Now I have to wait until Feb. to be able to see more than just SBS and ABC.

I have been playing with the contrast/brightness/colour and have not managed to find something that I am completely happy with although what comes through the Austar STB seems to vary greatly from channel to channel.

What settings is everyone else with this set using?