Palsonic 76WSHD

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may already have been answered, but does it upscale 720 to 1080 - or does it natively do this res?

According to the user manual, the 76WSHD does 1080i/720p/576p/576i/480p/480i, so I believe it does 720 natively. I have nothing to test this---the only resolutions I've verified are 1080i, 576p & 480p.

Cheers.

Hi, everyone.

Can anyone help, please?

Can anyone recomend the optimal setting for contrast, brightness etc?

Can you actually access thevarious buttons on the remote when in HDTV mode, ie YPbPr? I cannot seem to be able to access such buttons as the Panorama, P.Scan, Photo etc.

Can onyone help with the OSD menu when in HDTV mode? Eg H-Size, H-Phase, V-Sizeand V-Phase.

Greetz ray888

You cannot access the same buttons when in HDTV mode, the TV acts more like a PC monitor. The menu button gives you most of the controls.

If you have a device that utilizes the VGA or RGB (ypp) connections then that device will be better suited for changing things like aspect ratios and resolutions, be it a PC or set top box.

Just square up the picture via the menu using A 16x9 DVD so there are no gaps and you will be fine. contrast and brightness is usually down to personal taste. - set the contrast all the way up and work from there until you get the best pic.

Cheers

Useful link for setting brightness and contrast on any tv

Brightness and Contrast settings

I actually have this printed out and keep it wiht the tv manual.

The settings available via the remote depend on whether you are in 'normal' mode or 'high definition' mode. The manual is infact broken down into specific sections to reflect this.

Settins such as Panorama, P.Scan, Photo etc. are only available in normal mode.

In HD mode you have H-Size, H-Phase, V-Sizeand V-Phase etc etc.

Changes made in one mode do not reflect in the other (in the main).

In HD mode this is generally a case of trial and error...there is limited guidance in the manual and no you won't get it perfect first go...it will take a bit of effort.

good luck

blairy

PS DVD and HDSTB connection: How to on this TV?

At present I'm connecting the Sony 730P PS DVD via YPbPr. I have searched for HDSTB with VGA output and found none. So how can I connect the HDSTB when I've already used the YPbPr input on this TV?

Cna I use a double adapter? Are there any on the market and who sells them.

Thanks

I second that tnt015.

I am going to build my first HTPC with the bits left over from my planned PC upgrade in the next month. I am also interested in resolutions and refresh rates etc that I should use with my Palsonic TV.

I am thinking of connecting via the xVGA, I might need a xVGA switch box (are they available?) to swap between the QTR2140 and the HTPC signals to the TV. I am finding it hard to adjust when I have to watch the video now, I am looking forward to a HDD recorder. :blink:

Cheers

Andrew

Link to Palsonic web site for this tv.

Palsonic 76WSHD

At the bottom of the page is the link to the instruction manual. This details the display mode settings in HD mode.

Yes it accepts 1024 X 768P with H- frequency of 48.4KHz and V-frequency of 60Hz. In fact it takes about 13 different 'displaying patterns' and can support and store another eight.

Also have a look elsewhere in this forum...there's heaps of info on HTPC and resolutions etc. With the right software you should be able to set the HTPC output to meet the TV's inputs.

good luck

blairy

Hi Guys,

I have some questions regarding the Palsonic that the local sales drone could not answer.

1) If I run either a 480p/576p/720p/1080i signal to the HD inputs does it automatically sync, or does it have to be done manually?

2) Could you run Y-connectors on the HD input to connect both a STB and a DVD player?

3) Can the unit do 576p/720p/1080i @ 50Hz and 480p/720p/1080i @ 60Hz ?

4) I am thinking about using a Momitsu DVD-V880 player with the Palsonic, does this seem to be a good combo?

Thanks

Philby

philby,

I have done alot of research on this TV and I now have one myself, so I beleive I can answer your questions.

1) Yes the TV does automatically sync to the signal its receiving and it converts it to the screens native resolution of 1024x768 (its basically a computer monitor). Sometimes, some resolutions do not sync perfectly so you need to play around with the geomitry settings of the screen.

2) No you would need a switch box to run two devices into the same input and just switch them when you use them. However the TV does actually have 2 HD imputs anyway. A HD component input and a RGBHV 15pin input.

Both will accept a HD input from devices such as a DVD player or a STB. The RGBHV input is the best through, so you may want to use this input for both to get the best picture quality, therefore you would need a VGA switch box which can be obtained from most computer stores.

3) The TV via the component video HD inputs can do 576i/576p/1080i @ 50Hz, and 480i/480p/1080i @60Hz.

Via the RGBHV HD input, it can do 576p/1080i @50Hz and 480p/720p/1080i @ 60Hz. RGBHV doesn't seem to properly handle 576i @ 50Hz or 480i @ 60Hz . It also accepts various computer standard resolutions up to 1024x768@60Hz.

4) As you have probably seen on another thread on this forum, we are the Australian distributor of the Momitsu DVD player you mentioned. Of course I personally have a V880 at home and have it hooked up to the Palsonic via RGBHV using a DVI-VGA adaptor (which we also sell) going through a VGA switch box, along with my Xbox with a HD VGA kit, and a DGTEC 2000a HD STB that has VGA output. It all works great and the picture from the Momitsu is very impressive on this TV.

It is a great TV and great value. I picked mine up for under $1900 so its fantastic value. You won't be disappointed. Same goes for the Momitsu. When you are ready for the momitsu, email me and I will provide you will full details.

Thanks

Hey all,

Firstly, great thread and thankyou. Made my decision based on most info here!

Here are my initial questions and problems I thought I should share. Maybe some of you could help me out?

• When I hook up the PS2 through the HD Components, the screen is out of sync. I guess this is because the port doesn’t accept 480i(?). Still, it looks bloody nice through the normal component.

• Xbox through composite. Well, it is big, but not as clear as it could be. I am going to get it ‘converted’ (;-)) to be able to be an NTSC version, and probably buy a VGA converter (from www.x2vga.com – anyone else have this set up – please comment!). The reason is that the Palsonic doesn’t accept 720p/480p at 60Hz through anything but the VGA connection(?)

• Normal RF varies between acceptable and annoying. This is due to the aerial and reception though. I get the three/two vertical bars down the middle of the screen on crappy reception, good reception they aren’t there. Guess I should get a set-top box…!

• Screen is slightly set up wrong, missing some of the left side. I fix this.

• I cannot get the VGA working with my computer. I change the res on Windows to 800/600 @ 60hz, and I can see the image, but it is badly out of sync (scrolling up and to the left really fast). I am probably doing something really stupid – but what?

• Image warping on widescreen. There is definitely something up here – the image about 10cm in from either side is quite badly warping. You can really notice it on scrolling text and panning images in movies. It is highly annoying for me, as I am quite prone to seeing this stuff. I think this will require me to call Palsonic… If you watch a 16:9 movie in ‘Panorama’ – you will see what I mean (even though this is an exaggerated view). I know some people have had this problem (PaulInMelbourne), and some haven’t at all!

• Settings. I know some people have already asked for a posting of everyones settings – so how about it guys! The link to the setting up a TV on this page was excellent reading - you should all look.

• Image blurring. When you are watching anything, you can kind of see the movement is kinda lagging (if someone turns their head, rather than being a smooth ‘real’ looking movement, there seems to be some kind of dragging of the image – really bad description I know!). It looks like there is some DNR (?) on, even though I have it turned off.

So, can anyone help?

Otherwise, it is a ****in’ TV for the price!! Just some set up problems for me!

-pk-

Thanks for the Info Guys,

So where can I get a good price on one of these (Palsonic 76WSHD)?

I'm in Adelaide and the be$t price here seems to be from HN @ $$2200.

Seems a little $teep when I see ppl getting them for around $1900.

Thanks

Philby

keeno

PS2 outputs in SD and can't be synched using HD inputs.

There's various threads in the forum about modifying the XBOX for use with HD inputs

RF analogue TV is generally acceptable, although obviously depends on your aerial. I have the dgtec 2000a and pq is vastly superior to analogue :blink:

Set the res on your pc to one of the resolutions listed in the tv's manual...that should get you started. (I've never connected PC. Using vga input for stb.)

Image warping is a call to palsonic I'd suggest. Depending where you are they might even arrange to call out to your place.

I don't get the image blurring you mention, in either HD mode or the standard AV inputs. Is this related to the warping you mention above?

So let me get this straight, this TV would be ideal for running Xbox in HDTV modes correct? My Xbox has had it's eeprom flashed to NTSC mode so i have access to 480p, 720p, 1080 modes in NTSC, so this TV based on what I've read on the website supports these modes in NTSC mode as well as PAL? I already own the X2VGA VGA Box which lets me run my Xbox off my Mitusbishi 22" monitor, though not all games have the correct colour saturation, and some are still suffering from darkness issues which other VGA Boxes have suffered from. Anyway, please confirm that this TV supports 480p, 720p and 1080 modes in NTSC and will work with an Xbox which is in NTSC mode, thanks.

Does it actually even do PAL SD/HD?

http://www.palsonic.com.au/product_sales/c...v/ctv76wshd.htm

The advertisement kinda leads you to believes it does NTSC HD, not much talk of PAL?

Anyyway - seems like it does do your NTSC res for your xbox. BUT has anyone tested the Palsonic with 720p@60hz? This is the only res the ranks cant do, they can do 720@50hz though - means NO 720p from your xbox, at all!!! i would find out the answer to this before you buy, if its important to you, or like me you will be stuck on 480p from xbox, xbox WILL NOT do 1080i very well...(for movies)

Is there ever gonna be a 86cm version?

I am a Rank owner, and my mate in Sydney phoned me asking for a recommendation for a new TV - what is the best STB combo for this TV - does any one have a macro remote working for all tv and STB functions?

He will also want to get proscan DVD player - who is best in Sydney for a cash deal on all of the above, he live near Holsworthy/Liverpool.

Begbie - the PS2 can play some games at 480p. This is a pain in the arse 'cause at the moment I have to boot up the game, change the video setting, then swap the component cables over. I guess I can live with it...

I set the output of my PC to 800*600 at 60hz - no good.

That warping isn't as bad as it was (seems to grow on you?), but it is still annoying enough to warrant a call to Palsonic.

A question (and probably dumb), but when watching a 16:9 DVD (ps2 outputting at 16:9), the image still looks squished down flat so people look fat. I changed the picture to 'Zoom' instead of 16:9 to make it full screen. Is this correct? Does that drop image resolution vertically?

Cheers guys.

-pk-

A question (and probably dumb), but when watching a 16:9 DVD (ps2 outputting at 16:9), the image still looks squished down flat so people look fat. I changed the picture to 'Zoom' instead of 16:9 to make it full screen. Is this correct? Does that drop image resolution vertically?

Set the PS2 DVD Oprions to 16:9 (not the PS2 menu setupscreen) you have to play a DVD first tthen access the setup menu.

do not use zoom - for any reason, it is for people who don't know any better. (An analogue method for fixing aspect ratios with sever loss of image)

Anyway did you know this TV handles 1280 x 768 @ 60hz - (native widescreen monitor rez) quite well via a PC - combined with the visionplus dtv card, it craps on any standalone set top box :blink:.

Hello guys/girls.

I need some help please. I felt that the default setting for the 9300K & 6500K (available via the HD menu) was just a touch too red/dark. So I played around with the R & G setting at @ 050 each. That seem a touch greenish. Then of course I found the reset setting of the above 9300K/6500K choice. So I'm back to square one.

Can any one suggest a good setting for both the R & G part to get a more realistic colour/lighting scheme for this TV.

Thanks.

Hello guys/girls.

I need some help please. I felt that the default setting for the 9300K & 6500K (available via the HD menu) was just a touch too red/dark. So I played around with the R & G setting at @ 050 each. That seem a touch greenish. Then of course I found the reset setting of the above 9300K/6500K choice. So I'm back to square one.

Can any one suggest a good setting for both the R & G part to get a more realistic colour/lighting scheme for this TV.

Thanks.

Start by adjusting the contrast and brigthness. There's a link a few posts up that is quite helpful for this.

Once you have set as needed try 6500k and if you don't like that try 9300k.

If neither of these are any good to you, set both the R & G to zero.

If that still isn't what you want turn each of them up a little at a time until you get the picture just perfect. If possible you should do this with a still image. Of course once you get it just right for (say) the Ch2 HD test card, you'll then realise it's not perfect for the CH HD demo loop... :blink:

I use either r & g at zero or 9300K. I also have a lot of input coming at me from other viewers in the house.....ya gotta :P that

blairy

Anyone have a slight purple area on the lower left hand corner when displaying blue?

It's visible in Windows blue desktop, and whenever blue is displayed (includes white sometimes). Is this a fault I should look at replacing?

Do you have speakers or some sort od magnetic source close to the set?

Try the degauss function.

blairy

This is for PaulinMelbourne (if you still read this post).

You say that you can play Xbox games in 480p? Well, that was one main reason I got this thing. I just received an email from Palsonic stating that it doesn't accept 480p @ 60hz (NTSC)!!!! So, whats the deal?

-pk-

keeno,

I can confirm that, at least via the VGA input, this TV will display 480p @60Hz, no matter what they told you, cause I am doing it with my XBOX. 480i however is another matter. It will not correctly display a 480i or 576i signal via the VGA inputs.