Palsonic 76WSHD

if I could get the two for $2400-$2500 on finance (don't they still make interest off me?) I would take it.

$2400-$2500 with a STB (i'd recommend the Pana) would be a very good deal. That's a saving of a couple of hundred off an already very good RRP.

If you can swing a deal like that interest free then do it.

A credit card with a 6 month introductory low interest rate might also be worth a look at - don't forget 99% of interest free deals are through GE Finance which can have some nasty interest rates if you don't pay off in time.

Good Luck, and post your thoughts if you end up getting one.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know that it really needs to be paid off within the 12 month period, I would hope to pay at least 85%->90% of the price off within that timeframe, if not the whole lot.

I still need to work out exactly which STB to couple with this TV, I'd prefer to pay the extra few $$'s and avoid any problems. I would really hope to pay no more than $2500 for the TV w/2000A, or maybe $2600 with one of the more reputable STB's.

I'll do some chasing around this weekend, see how I go.

Also, what are these companies like with providing finance?

I know they want people to be able to pay (well derr!), but I currently have a personal loan and some Credit Card debt, I know my finances, and I know I can pay this off, but if I get rejected for finance, I would be unhappy after G'ing myself up for a new W/S TV...especially after having to deal with TV through a PC card on a 19" monitor for the last 2 months!

Cheers,

Pat.

The two issues I have with set are:

1. A banding rolling up and down the screen

Tech believes banding is an issue with the digital broadcast. Banding is not evident on normal RF input fta analogue, nor is it apparent on AV in via composite for Foxtel satellite. I didn't test it while he was here but it's also not evident from DVD's (component SD input) or Xbox (AV via composite). During prior visit he hooked up his own STB (also a dgtec 2000a) and banding was also evident. He's going to s/w his manager and try to arrange to come out with a second set to confirm his view that banding is an issue with the digital broadcast and not the TV itself.

Seems that some resolutions exhibit these problems.

I use my PC for HD broadcasts with a resolution of 1280 x 768 and 1024 x 768 on this TV without the banding. Mind you, these are at 60hz.

My Old DVD Player via VGA did produce banding from time to time but the image was inferior than that from the PC.

What is 1080i via pc vga output? 540 x 384?

2. A noticeable bow or downward curve along the top of the screen image. This is especially obvious in HD mode when adjusting screen, but also (and to a lesser extent) in normal mode when watching a letterboxed image.

After previous visit he was supposed to discuss with his technical area and revert. He had discussed and someone was meant to call back...Anyway, this is an issue he referred to as yoke and it cannot be fixed, not even back in the factory where set is made. All these sets have varying degrees of yoke, some more noticeable than others. He acknowledged that this will be an issue when watching letterboxed DVD's or foxtel.

Can't you adjust the bow via the TV menu adjustments?

Just curious what DVD players people would recommend to go with this TV?

I'm thinking at least PAL and NTSC progressive scan, such as the Sony DVPNS730 perhaps?

Any other suggestions?

I highly recommend the Harman Kardon DVD30. It does PAL & NTSC progressive scan and has no problems reading all manner of DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, CD-R & CD-RW discs that I threw at it (various manufacturers, and incl. VCDs and SVCDs). It also does DVD-Audio which is a bonus but it wasn't one of my prerequisites. I've yet to find a DVD-A title that I like. The available DVD-A range isn't extensive ... well, not in Melb anyway.

I bought mine from E&S Sound and Vision at High St, Ashburton VIC. You can find a list of retailers at:

http://www.e-hifi.com.au/main.asp?page=products/harman.asp

BTW, patdman, I paid by credit $2,400 for the 76WSHD, 2000A and a cabinet stand for the TV from Retravision Mt Waverley VIC. Didn't ask about finance though.

Blairy, when playing PAL dvds in PS, the 76WSHD reports a resolution of 720x600P (31.2kHz/50Hz). I still haven't tried the HD2 setting on the 2000A---too lazy to unplug all the wires and take the unit out of the cabinet. However, I noticed that the banding is most obvious when initially switching to the 2000A (via XGA). It lessens over some minutes and most times disappears altogether.

Cheers.

The two issues I have with set are:

Seems that some resolutions exhibit these problems.

I use my PC for HD broadcasts with a resolution of 1280 x 768 and 1024 x 768 on this TV without the banding. Mind you, these are at 60hz.

My Old DVD Player via VGA did produce banding from time to time but the image was inferior than that from the PC.

What is 1080i via pc vga output? 540 x 384?

Can't you adjust the bow via the TV menu adjustments?

AzzX, to achieve 1080i on the Palsonic, the resolution you need is 1920 X 1080. This can be done at frequencies of either 28.125Khz/50Hz or 33.75KHz/60Hz.

The screen adjustments only work on the sides of the image, not the top and bottom. Mind you I went batty trying this :P but then so did the service tech on his first visit :blink:

Just curious what DVD players people would recommend to go with this TV?

I'm thinking at least PAL and NTSC progressive scan, such as the Sony DVPNS730 perhaps?

Any other suggestions?

I highly recommend the Harman Kardon DVD30. It does PAL & NTSC progressive scan and has no problems reading all manner of DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, CD-R & CD-RW discs that I threw at it (various manufacturers, and incl. VCDs and SVCDs). It also does DVD-Audio which is a bonus but it wasn't one of my prerequisites. I've yet to find a DVD-A title that I like. The available DVD-A range isn't extensive ... well, not in Melb anyway.

I bought mine from E&S Sound and Vision at High St, Ashburton VIC. You can find a list of retailers at:

http://www.e-hifi.com.au/main.asp?page=products/harman.asp

BTW, patdman, I paid by credit $2,400 for the 76WSHD, 2000A and a cabinet stand for the TV from Retravision Mt Waverley VIC. Didn't ask about finance though.

Blairy, when playing PAL dvds in PS, the 76WSHD reports a resolution of 720x600P (31.2kHz/50Hz). I still haven't tried the HD2 setting on the 2000A---too lazy to unplug all the wires and take the unit out of the cabinet. However, I noticed that the banding is most obvious when initially switching to the 2000A (via XGA). It lessens over some minutes and most times disappears altogether.

Cheers.

Apchoo, does that mean that you're watching DVD's at a resolution of 720P? They must look incredible. Have you been able to verify that the player actually outputs at this resolution or is the TV upscaling?

The banding issue is most frustrating because of the fact that it comes and goes. If it disappeared completely, great, but one minute it's there and then gone. I am able to reach the output switch on my stb quite easily and have been experimenting with HD1 and HD2.

On SUnday, on HD1 no banding. After nearly an hour or so of watching, the banding was so bad I switched back to HD2...no banding. Later mild banding was back. Generally better on HD2 and I'll probably stick with that for the time being.

Looking to get hold of a PS DVD player and see if that exhibits the same problem. If so, then problem is clearly with the set...

blairy

Apchoo, does that mean that you're watching DVD's at a resolution of 720P? They must look incredible. Have you been able to verify that the player actually outputs at this resolution or is the TV upscaling?

Well, dvds in PS from the HK DVD30 to the 76WSHD does look incredible :blink: but I don't think that they're displayed at 720P. Doesn't 720x600P mean 600 lines in progressive scan? The max. no. of lines with PAL is 625 lines but you never get the full lot, so I reckon my dvds in PS are displayed in 576 lines PS (pretty much like getting only 480 lines from NTSC's 525 lines) and the 76WSHD's setting when viewing 576P is 600P.

But I may be wrong and if so, someone please correct me.

Cheers.

My DH-2000A is connected to the 76WSHD via the XGA port and the TV displays all DTV channels in the "China HDTV interlace" standard in 1920x1080i resolution (28.125kHz/50Hz in 16:9). According to the 76WSHD user manual, there is another standard with 1920x1080i resolution---"American HDTV standard interlace"---which uses 33.75kHz/60Hz in 16:9.

Pardon my ignorance please, but is it possible to force the 76WSHD to display DTV via XGA in 1920x1080i in 33.75kHz/60Hz? I'm assuming that the vertical frequency has nothing to do with the electrical frequency in Oz (50Hz) and changing it from 50Hz to 60Hz should result in a better and more stable image. If such is the case, then the change in setting should be done at the 2000A, right? Pretty much like changing the refresh rate on your video card?

Any ideas?

Thanks for the info, blairy.

Hmmm :blink: ... I think I'll hold back tinkering with the innards of the 2000A until I hear from Travis (originator of the 60Hz setting commands). I've sent him an email for more info ... I'll post his reply later.

Cheers.

I've had this set for just over a month now and its great but i've just one problem.

I'm using a Hyundai HS635 progessive dvd player thru the HD component input which looks sweet but with 4:3 dvds the image is stretched to fit the whole screen. I've tried all 3 display settings on the dvd player (4:3, 4:3 letter box and widescreen) and the image still stays stretched across the entire screen. Non-Anamorphic widescreen dvds seem to suffer the same problem.

I'm not sure what to do next, i don't have another PS DVD player to try with the set.

Any info or advice would be much appreciated.

I've had this set for just over a month now and its great but i've just one problem.

I'm using a Hyundai HS635 progessive dvd player thru the HD component input which looks sweet but with 4:3 dvds the image is stretched to fit the whole screen. I've tried all 3 display settings on the dvd player (4:3, 4:3 letter box and widescreen) and the image still stays stretched across the entire screen. Non-Anamorphic widescreen dvds seem to suffer the same problem.

I'm not sure what to do next, i don't have another PS DVD player to try with the set.

Any info or advice would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on purchasing a great set.

With the palsonic in hd mode you cannot adjust the aspect ratio.

You'll need to do this on your dvd player.

blairy

Okay, guys, I'm a bit confused by all these DVD and STB input.

I've downloaded the manual. The TV has YCbCr input for DVD and YPbPr for HDTV STB. From reading this extended thread, I'm led to believe to use progressive scanning for DVD, I'd have to use the HDTV input. So how can I then connect a HDTV STB? Can I use the VGA input for the STB and YPbPr for thr Prog. scan DVD?

By the way, can anyone advise on these progressive scan DVD player: Yamaha DVD-S540, Sony 730P, Omni 3200P and Digitor S1606. The first 2 are going for a rrp of $299 while the last 2 are going for ~$120. Either the Digitor or the Omni has a VGA output. Are they both PAL and NTSC progressive scan?

Appreciate the advice.

Thanks.

The TV has YCbCr input for DVD and YPbPr for HDTV STB. From reading this extended thread, I'm led to believe to use progressive scanning for DVD, I'd have to use the HDTV input. So how can I then connect a HDTV STB? Can I use the VGA input for the STB and YPbPr for thr Prog. scan DVD?

Correct, you need to use the YPbPr connection for progressive scan. And also correct you can use the VGA connector for your STB.

By the way, can anyone advise on these progressive scan DVD player: Yamaha DVD-S540, Sony 730P, Omni 3200P and Digitor S1606. The first 2 are going for a rrp of $299 while the last 2 are going for ~$120. Either the Digitor or the Omni has a VGA output. Are they both PAL and NTSC progressive scan?

I have the Sony 730P, bought it a few days ago from the Sony shop in Chatswood, where it was/is on special for $249. It is PAL and NTSC progressive and is excellent quality, I am very impressed so far.

One complaint/question I have is the HDTV mode doesn't seem to support and of the aspect ratio changing controls of the regular mode. In other words, when connected through the HDTV inputs I can't switch it to 4:3 aspect ratio (with black bars on the sides), zoom, panorama, etc. This means the 4:3 format DVDs I have (R1 Buffy boxsets :blink: are flattened. Does anyone know if this can be fixed? Proposed workaround is to use the S-Video connection for these types of disks...

(edit: just noticed this is the same problem burningmullet has...)

The TV has YCbCr input for DVD and YPbPr for HDTV STB. From reading this extended thread, I'm led to believe to use progressive scanning for DVD, I'd have to use the HDTV input. So how can I then connect a HDTV STB? Can I use the VGA input for the STB and YPbPr for thr Prog. scan DVD?

Ray888, I don't know the technical details of YCbCr vs YPbPr but the situation with the 76WSHD from my experience is as follows.

The 76WSHD has two HD inputs, XGA and YPbPr. It also has a set of YCbCr inputs labelled "DVD". I connect the 2000A STB via XGA and my HK DVD30 dvd player via YPbPr. The DVD30 has PAL & NTSC prog scan and the 76WSHD will only display a PAL/NTSC PS signal via YPbPr. According to some technical literature I've read on the net, some TV's component video inputs are YCbCr & YPbPr compliant and would switch acccordingly depending on the type of input signal. Not the 76WSHD. To watch my dvds in PS, I must connect the DVD30 to YPbPr which leaves the XGA for the STB which is fine with me.

The annoying thing is the 76WSHD only has one set of audio input for both HD inputs. I use these audio inputs for the STB as TV spkrs are fine for 99% of DTV. However, when I'm watching a dvd, 99% of the time I'd listen thru my 5.1 surround system. I hope my comments answered some of your questions. I felt extremely lucky in buying the 76WSHD for the wealth of inputs and signal types that it has/can receive as I wasn't completely aware then of what I needed. My mate who bought the Samsung WS32A10 76cm widescreen TV now faces the dilemma of i) the TV not having an XGA input for the 2000A he is planning to buy, and ii) the TV not supporting PAL PS as it does not do 576p (only 1080i/576i/480p/480i) and he's also planning to buy a PS dvd player. So do as much research as you can before you part with your $$$.

As for the PS players in your list, I have no firsthand experience with them. The only one I came across briefly is the Sony 730 in which another mate was looking at getting. He decided against it because it could not read all of the DVD-R/+R/-RW/+RW discs he brought to test with---that, however, may not be important to you. He ended up buying a non-PS JVC player. I haven't had a disc (any region, original or copied) that the DVD30 would not read (yet). If copied dvds aren't a concern, there's also the HK DVD25 which is identical to the DVD30 except it doesn't do DVD-Audio. I would have bought it if it hadn't failed to read one of my TDK DVD-RW discs---and at $200 cheaper too!

Good luck!

One complaint/question I have is the HDTV mode doesn't seem to support and of the aspect ratio changing controls of the regular mode. In other words, when connected through the HDTV inputs I can't switch it to 4:3 aspect ratio (with black bars on the sides), zoom, panorama, etc. This means the 4:3 format DVDs I have (R1 Buffy boxsets :blink: are flattened. Does anyone know if this can be fixed? Proposed workaround is to use the S-Video connection for these types of disks...

Correct. I have the same problem with the HK DVD30 on 76WSHD via YPbPr. There are a number of posts that suggest changing the aspect ratio on the dvd player rather than the TV, but doing that has no effect with my DVD30. So I resort to S-Video for dvds like The Wiggles or Hi-5 but I don't think my 15 month old daughter is that fussed :P. Also dvds like "Eagles - Hell Freezes Over" music dvds are also in 4:3, and I have to be content with a flattened looking Don Henley.

Correct. I have the same problem with the HK DVD30 on 76WSHD via YPbPr. There are a number of posts that suggest changing the aspect ratio on the dvd player rather than the TV, but doing that has no effect with my DVD30. So I resort to S-Video for dvds like The Wiggles or Hi-5 but I don't think my 15 month old daughter is that fussed :P. Also dvds like "Eagles - Hell Freezes Over" music dvds are also in 4:3, and I have to be content with a flattened looking Don Henley.

yup changing aspect ratio on the dvd doesnt help me either so im using svideo hookup for 4:3 dvds now, problem is i have to swap between the two outputs in the dvd player setup as it wont output to both connections at the same time. Its a small hassle but i can live with it.

Thanks for the help guys

HD inputs are either XGA or YPbPr with one set of stereo audio inputs.

You can connect HD stb or a PS DVD to either of these.

All HD STB and (as far as I know) PS DVD players have YPbPr outputs.

However only some have XGA outputs. AFAIK, dgtec2000a and Panny HDstb are the only ones with XGA outputs. Some Omni and Digitor players have XGA outputs. It really is a case of mix and match.

As for the difficulties with DVD aspect ratio, I would imagine most Palsonic purchasers would already have a (non ps) dvd player. Keep it for those dvd's that won't play as you require via the HD inputs. Alternatively, if you have a games console use it for this need. And a third option, buy a cheapie DVD player from ALDI (Tevion $59 and it does PS too, although I haven't seen it in action a decent tv).

blairy

I get around the issue by having the composite output go through an AV input. If the kids or wife want to just watch a DVD without the fancy effects they watch it through there. I watch 4:3 DVDs through there with the surround sound still on. In alot of cases you don't really want the top quality for 4:3.

I was recommending the Unimax 808 PS DVD player which is both PAL and NTSC progressive, costs $118 and has a VGA output. All was going well for a week till it died on Christmas Day !! :blink:

I am awaiting a replacement from Strathfield - no stock after the sales....

I finally purchased this TV. So far I'm very impressed with the PQ with DVD connected via YCbCr. Now more incentive to put up a new aerial for analogue BC.

The only problem so far is that when viewing in 16:9, the set seems to lose some picture on either side, more on the left. I tried adjusting the set with "The Ultimate DVD" and it confirmed that some of the picture is missing on the left. Unfortunately, I couldn't get into the OSD menu as shown in chapter 14, page 34 of the manual. so I cannot get to H-Phase or H-Size or indeed any of the option shown on that page. Is this menu option only available for HDTV mode? Please advise.

There was a rotation up on the top RHS which I was able to correct using the rotation menu.

I'm holding out for a HD STB till there are more content broadcasted and more models. Should I get a SD STB for the time being?

By the way, maybe someone should start a thread about which SD/HD STB they bought and/or recommend. Including failure. What do you think?

Thanks.

I finally purchased this TV. So far I'm very impressed with the PQ with DVD connected via YCbCr. Now more incentive to put up a new aerial for analogue BC.

The only problem so far is that when viewing in 16:9, the set seems to lose some picture on either side, more on the left. I tried adjusting the set with "The Ultimate DVD" and it confirmed that some of the picture is missing on the left. Unfortunately, I couldn't get into the OSD menu as shown in chapter 14, page 34 of the manual. so I cannot get to H-Phase or H-Size or indeed any of the option shown on that page. Is this menu option only available for HDTV mode? Please advise.

There was a rotation up on the top RHS which I was able to correct using the rotation menu.

I'm holding out for a HD STB till there are more content broadcasted and more models. Should I get a SD STB for the time being?

By the way, maybe someone should start a thread about which SD/HD STB they bought and/or recommend. Including failure. What do you think?

Thanks.

If you're getting a new aerial make sure it's good for digital reception too...no point getting a new one now and again later on.

H-Phase and H-Size are only available in HD mode. Have you got the dvd player set up correctly (EG set to ouput WS)?

With this set I've got an HD STB. Personally I wouldn't bother with an SD box. (Of course, if you have a use for hte SD box on another set after you later upgrade to HD that might be worthwhile).

There are currently two threads for STB...one HD and the other SD.

blairy