Palsonic 76WSHD

niko said

The only issue I have is the horizontal bars that you can see on certain colors . Blairy how did you fix that ??

I'm using the dgtec 2000a via xga connection. Set the stb to hd2 (instead of hd1) and probelm resolved. This outputs resolution at 1152i and solved the problem. Try this web link for more detail.

http://www.dansdata.com/hdtv.htm

good luck

blairy

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

niko said

The only issue I have is the horizontal bars that you can see on certain colors . Blairy how did you fix that ??

I'm using the dgtec 2000a via xga connection. Set the stb to hd2 (instead of hd1) and probelm resolved. This outputs resolution at 1152i and solved the problem. Try this web link for more detail.

good luck

blairy

dogsrus

How do I know what resolution my HD component signal is on the TV?? i.e. 576p , 576i etc???

This is way out of my league and to get the answer you should probably email Palsonic...nevertheless, I am thinking, that if you press the menu button, along the bottom edge of the osd are a few numbers.

Mine shows

Fh: 31.3 KHz Fv: 50.0 Hz

Referring to the chart on p.38 of the manual, these numbers correlate to Item No 2 being 720 X 600 P, also referred to as PAL Progressive. (As my STB doesn't output 720p, I'm guessing the TV must upscale or something.)

No idea how to change this or add display modes (although manual indicates it can be done).

Not sure that helps...not sure it's correct either :blink:

Anybody else got any clues

blairy

.blairy

Thanks for the help blairy the horizodals lines gone!!

I have the Panasonic box(qtr2140) ,the setings are a bit different.

dgtec HD1 = Pana AA 1080i (1125)

dgtec HD2 = Pana AB 576p - 1152i (1080i)

dgtec TV = Pana BA 576i

------------- + Pana BB 1080i (1250)

On BB also you lose the lines but you lose also ch 7 HD - SBS HD (colours are all over the place on those two ch only).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never had any tearing in the middle of the screen horizontally problem

with my VCR (Panasonic FJ-630) .PQ is good.

RF (tuner) good - but you need a good antenna . (Not as good as my 17 years old 56” JVC)

DVDp -HD tv FANTASTIC!!! :blink:

niko

when you set your STBs to HD2/AB what signal does your TV claim it is receiving?? progressive or interlaced??, only there have been a couple of reports from people who tested these STBs that these units do NOT output 1152i (depspite the manual specs) but output 576p from both component and RGB when HD2/AB is selected. Can you clarify this?

Hello All,

I have tried all outputs from the qtr2140 to the Palsonic. I couldn’t get the BB mode to work at all. All I got was a mess of colour and images, I could hardly tell what was on screen. So I went back to AB with the xVGA connection. The picture is good except for the very strong reds in certain pictures (again seems to depend on the source footage).

In AB mode xVGA I also get;

Fh: 31.3 KHz Fv: 50.0 Hz

The tearing problem still there. I have emailed off Palsonic last Thursday but have heard nothing back from them yet. Fingers crossed that their customer service department will reply back. I will call on my next day off. The tuner has also giving me nothing but fuzz in RF mode as well. I will have to check to see if the lead is the problem.

Another strange problem with the qtr2140 (mode AB), channel 7 HD channel has disappeared (70)? I have reinstalled all channels on the STB and it found all except 70. I haven’t had time to search the other forums to see if there is a known problem.

Another question, when reading the warranty it says that home call out on the Palsonic is only available in Sydney metro area. Is this right?

Cheers, keep up the good work, some really good info in this forum.

Chuditch - the "in home" serice is available in all areas provided you have a 61cm to 92cm TV - so not just Sydney. There are some conditions for that however which I'm not sure about. I have 7 years "in home" warranty so I'd be interested to know how that goes if you use it :)

I found that info here - http://www.palsonic.com.au/customer_service/custserv.htm

brgrds

Ji-Owon

This is changed through the setup menu of my Omni3200P. Normally you set this for 16:9 and the dvd player adjusts automatically.

An observation:

When I view 4:3 DVDs (576p) the image is not centred (quite a bit off). I can adjust it either through the Tv or the DVD player, strange though.

That's what I tried doing, I changed from 16:9 WS to 4:3 normal/LB or normal/PS, but no change in the output aspect ratio. I'm using the component HD inputs, and from the V & H freqs appear to be outputting progressive. Also in the DVD menus the video out is set for component-P, so I guess this means progressive too. Is my TV faulty or my DVD player not suitable. I could try changing to a normal video input and see if the DVD menu changes the aspect ratio. I don't have another progressive scan DVD player to try. I have the same problem on the HD VGA port, but again its the same DVD player. Anyone in Brisbane found a DSE Harmony DVD player???

Chuditch - yeah I noticed that also - fair bit off to the left (same dvd player). I've since used the THX TV calibration utility found on my Star Wars and Monter Inc dvd's to find that even 16:9 screens were off to the left. I've adjusted this in the TV (as the omni does not remember those settings after power off). I centred the 16:9 chart that is displayed with the THX utility and the 4:3 screens also looked centred now.

Handy little tool that but I'll be borrowing my mates Digital Video Essentials dvd as soon as he's back from the UK. It's the NTSC version but that should not be a problem for the Palsonic or the Omni.

on the omni/palsonic thing - have you been able to get progressive scan going while the omni is connected to the palsonic's YCbCr inputs? It just won't work for me. If I connect it to the YPbPr ports it works fine. No big deal just curious as the Omni treats YPbPr/YCbCr the same - well same ports and menu selection. My assumption is that progressive scan is just not possible on the Palsonic's DVD IN ports but is possible with the HDTV IN ports.

on the omni/palsonic thing - have you been able to get progressive scan going while the omni is connected to the palsonic's YCbCr inputs? It just won't work for me. If I connect it to the YPbPr ports it works fine.

I think thats situation normal regardless of brand.

If your set does not have a YPbPr input then it will not connect with a ps dvd player.

Hey All,

I started this thread and it is amazing to see how many of you have looked at or bought the Palsonic .. I'm still very happy with the unit but the only problem that I have is the Remote Control ... Lately and intermitently I am unable to turn the unit on/off or choose an input, even though the LED flashes to show signal nothing happens .. I found if I get off my arse (Like they did in the old days so my parents tell me) and push the on/off main button .. Turn the TV off and then back on again it all works fine ... Has anyone else experienced these problems?

I'm not experiencing any remote problems, but I cannot get the HD inputs to function correctly for the aspect ratio. I tried changing the TV type in my DVD player to normal/PS or LB from 16:9, and nothing changes. Am I missing something obvious. I noticed changing this on any of my WS TV's and DVD players did nothing, only the aspect button on the TV remote seems to do anything. How are you all viewing 4:3 through the HD inputs, either VGA or component?? This is very frustrating as I have gone back to the normal DVD inputs (component and change the aspect via button on TV remote), so see no benefit in having a HD set. Is the TV faulty or am I just a little slow??

No I did not have any problem with the remote yet.

I would contact Palsonic for that, as sounds a bit tricky.

(It maybe sounds stupid but) swap the batteries with a new set just in case.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I have connected the main antenna first to my VCR then out, and in to the STB

then out ,and in to TV .So to be able to record analogue signal wile I am watching HD TV at the same time ,or recording a program when everything else is OFF. I have not noticed any drop in PQ in that way.

My questions: Is this the common way to set it up? Or I am missing something?

----------------------------------------------------------------

It is annoying (minor) that the YPbPr inputs do not accept as well 576i. You are always only in progressive wide screen.

If I want to see something older (like Faulty Towers) 4:3 ,I get the image stretched to 16:9 so you have a drop in resolution, and Manuel looks even shorter!! Trying to change that on my DVD player, nothing happens. Still wide screen, even if the DVD(sony 730P) menu says letter box 4:3...... Other DVD players can change the aspect !!

So I change the inputs to YCpCr .for the 4:3 ones.

Not a big problem since most DVD material is wide screen.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I have seen many HD TVs lately and I must say that the Sony and the Palsonic have the BEST PQ . I was a bit disappointed with the new Panasonic

Fine Pitch TX-76PW200A ,PQ is like the 150a. To me the Palsonic looks a lot

Better. (Have not seen the Samsung WS76A10 on HD or DVD yet)

niko

Hi Ji-Owon,

Billy Two Hats is right, for progressive you need to connect the DVD player to the YPbPr input on the Palsonic. I made the same mistake and RonInMelbourne put me right a few posts back.

------------------------------------

I am a bit disappointed with Palsonic’s customer service; I contacted them last Thursday by email about the tearing in the picture when the source is the vcr. Still no word back. Will have to try and phone, but with daylight savings (Palsonic customer is over east) and work, I am finding it hard to ring them.

-----------------------------------

Another question, if the picture is great viewing DVDs (YPbPr) but the reds a bit too strong from STB, is the problem with the STB (1152i - xVGA) not the TV? The reds seem a bit strong on some TV programs (source dependant) but HDTV great (reds not as dominant). Should I be training and tuning with Panasonic before contacting Palsonic?

-----------------------------------

Geometry wise, I get a bit a barrel distortion (source STB) that I tried to adjust out but gave up. Most noticable in 4:3 pics but would be in the over scan area if TV was 4:3.

My Digital Video Essentials dvd ($5 from the US) also shows a lesser amount of distortion in the corners on 16:9 and 4:3 test patterns. Not enough to bother me though.

Why don't one of the tv stations display something useful on their unused channels like a test pattern to set up your TV?

Looks like Niko has answered my question about the HD inputs, they are always 16:9 WS for at least the DVD input.

Those of you with a HD STB, this would not be the case with the STB??? You change aspect ratio thru the STB?? I would like to know that I can view all programs as intended in the correct aspect ratio before I think about plonking down money for a HD STB. Can anyone comment on this specifically, using either the component or VGA input?