Palsonic 76WSHD

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tasman AV has the set for $1999. I also visited two Retravisions that had the set on display with a ticket price of $1999. I was told the RRP is $2200. One Retravision, which hadn't even ordered the set yet quoted me $4000 over the phone. Maybe there was a mix-up with the distributer's pricing. I hope no-one paid $4000 and is reading this now. :blink:

Campsie Hi-Fi have the RGB bandwidth wrong on this TV. The manual and website state that it is 30MHz, not 50MHz.

I managed to get Retravision to knock a little off the price on my set.

Campsie Hi-Fi have the RGB bandwidth wrong on this TV.  The manual and website state that it is 30MHz, not 50MHz.

Yep just checked the manual on the Palsonic Web Site and it is 30MHz. See:

http://www.palsonic.com.au/customer_servic...model76wshd.pdf

Product info on Palsonic Web Site:

http://www.palsonic.com.au/product_sales/c...v/ctv76wshd.htm

Under $2000 with a 3 year Warranty, You would have to be happy with that.

After doing some more research it appears Campsie may have just copy the data from the Rank unit they "were" selling. The Rank Arena units are slightly higher spec'ed than the Palsonic unit. But for $2000 it's a bargain. I think the DEC is spec'ed the same as the Palsonic as they both come from the same Plant in China.

Anyway you would be upset if you paid the $4000 when it can be had for under $2000.

Anyway here are some details on the Rank Vs the Palsonic.

Rank Arena:

RGB Bandwidth: 48Mhz

Horizontal Frequency 28kHz - 50kHz

Item Display Standard Ratio

1 72 x600i PAL 100 Hz 4:3 & 16:9

2 720x600p PAL progressive 4:3 & 16:9

3 720x500i NTSC 120 Hz 4:3 & 16:9

4 720x500i NTSC progressive 4:3 & 16:9

5 1920x1080i China HDTVinterlaced 16:9

6 1920x1080i American HDTV interlaced 16:9

7 1280x720p American HDTV progressive 16:9

8 640x480p PC VGA 4:3

11 640x480p PC VGA 4:3

12 720x400p PC VGA 4:3

13 800x600p PC SVGA 4:3

14 800x600p PC SVGA 4:3

15 1024x768p PC XVGA 4:3

Palsonic:

RGB Bandwidth: 30Mhz

Horizontal Frequency 28kHz - 48kHz

Item Display Standard Ratio

1 72 x600i 31.25kHz/100Hz PAL 100 Hz 4:3 & 16:9

2 720x600p 31.25kHz/50Hz PAL progressive 4:3 & 16:9

3 720x500i 31.25kHz/120Hz NTSC 120 Hz 4:3 & 16:9

4 720x500i 31.25kHz/60Hz NTSC progressive 4:3 & 16:9

5 1920x1080i 28.125kHz/50Hz China HDTVinterlaced 16:9

6 1920x1080i 33.75kHz/60Hz American HDTV interlaced 16:9

7 1280x720p 45kHz/60Hz American HDTV progressive 16:9

8 640x480p 31.5kHz/60Hz PC VGA 4:3

10 640x480p 37.8kHz/75Hz PC VGA 4:3

11 720x400p 31.5kHz PC VGA 4:3

12 800x600p 37.88kHz/60Hz PC SVGA 4:3

13 800x600p 46.8kHz/75Hz PC SVGA 4:3

14 1024x768p 48.4kHz/60Hz PC XVGA 4:3

Mark

For those of you that are interested .. I purchased it from Domayne in Auburn .. last heard that they had three (3) left. Sure the spec may be a little under the other named brands (Not so much Rank Arena - Nearly bought that 12 months ago) but as you say with a price tag of under $2000 and THREE years waranty .. How could I say no. In my opinion, the picture is brilliant .. I guess if I could sum it up .. I would say the image is sharp, vivid ...But the depth of field is simply amazing .. It has been two nights and so far .. It has knocked my socks off!

I think the DEC is spec'ed the same as the Palsonic as they both come from the same Plant in China.

I checked out the DEC unit's manual, and it was silent about the bandwidth, which is pretty strange since the manuals for all these Xoceco TVs appear to be written by the same source, and then modified by the the re-badger. DEC hadn't even bothered to do this, the manual had no mention of DEC on it. The horizontal sync range was listed as 28-50KHz. This is the same as the Rank. Palsonic's range is 28-48KHz. I was tempted to presume this meant the TV had the same bandwidth as the Rank, but I guess the bandwidth can be limited in a number of places internally.

I see Xoceco have redone their Web Site. Which Product does the DEC look like.

This one:

http://www.asia.globalsources.com/gsol/Gen...tion=GetProduct

Or this one:

You could download the manuals for the Australian Model on their old web Site. Can't find them now.

Main Xoceco Web Site here:

http://www.xoceco.com.cn

Anyway they are good value. I guess Palsonic lowered the price of their unit because DEC were selling there's so low. The Palsonic was selling for $4500 same as the Rank. This was about Feb/Mar this year.

Mark

Which Product does the DEC look like.

I can only remember that the DEC units have narrow speaker grills down the sides, probably first picture on this page:

http://www.xoceco.com.cn/englishpage/products/tv/hdtv2.htm

Note that the DEC model numbers are HD3276 and HD3286. I emailed Xoceco and their Australian "sub-company" a few weeks ago about these models but they haven't responded.

This next one looks exactly like the Palsonic, but it's not the same unit. This one has 48MHz bandwidth, and optical audio out. The Palsonic doesn't have this.

To my very limited knowledge, it would normally present itself as a loss in horizontal resolution, in a highly detailed image. The DisplayMate monitor testing software uses a thatched fine-line pattern to measure bandwidth. The lines are alternating white and black, which I presume would "use up" the most bandwidth. I've read somewhere that 20MHz HDTVs still present a very attractive picture at 1080i. Please take this with a grain of salt, I am by no means an expert!

I was keen to ask the same question:

What sort of difference would you see between the 30Mhz and 48Mhz RGB frequencies?

But seriously the resolution, the quality of the image is superb ... I will go look at a Rank Arena and compare now that I own a PALsonic. ... But from my experience looking at many monitors for both myself and for my job .. Which is in the same game ... I must say I'm happy with it

After reading these forums for the last few months and deciding I didn't want to pay $4000 for a Rank/Sony/Pana I settled on paying $1950 for the Palsonic 76wshd yesterday.

I am extremely happy with the PQ of this set. Ch9 HDTV looks great and IMHO is right up there with the more expensive Rank/Sony/Panas which I have seen.

I have plugged my laptop(vga out) into the XGA socket at the back and am also very impressed with the quality of the 1024x768 picture.

A couple of slight issues with my setup remain. The HDTV (Y/Pb/Pr) only accepts 576p or 1080i (not backward compatible with 576i) which would not normally be a problem except I have also bought the new Toshiba STB to go with it.

This STB changes the its output resolution depending on that of the channel being displayed - all SDTV channels are 576i - which means whenever I am changing channels on SD, I must also change the output resolution of the Toshie as the Palsonic doesn't support 576i through the Y/Pb/Pr socket.

I see this is as a minor annoyance as there is a convenient video output button on the remote. Just means I need to hit two buttons to change channels not one. :blink:

Just something people need to be aware of if using the Toshie/Palsonic combo. Maybe there is a fix for this I have overlooked???

Hi,

I just bought one of these Palsonic TVs and its great value and superb picture for its current price.

My only problem is getting the screen's colours, brightness/contrast, and most importantly, geomitry right for viewing HD and SD TV inputs via the HD component inputs from my STB, as well as standard DVD via the component input, my xbox via the HD VGA input, video via the composite input, gamecube via the svideo input and free to air via RF.

Every time I change to diffent sources or sometimes even between different HD or SD channels, the geomitry of the display changes slightly, and I can't seem to get it to a point where it looks good for all channels.

Also the picture on svideo, composite and normal RF looks terrible. It seems that there are a few features in the menu for this TV that can be adjusted or turned off but I am not exactly sure what they all do and still haven't figured out how to configure them for the best picture quality via these analogue display interfaces.

I was hoping that maybe someone who has had this TV and played around with it for a while could give me some guidance of what all the options mean and maybe share their configuration including colour, brightness/contrast and geomitry levels they have set for optimal picture quality all round.

This would be a big help.

Thanks

I have to say I am not as happy as I was yesterday.

My Palsonic is having a few issues at the moment and might be heading back to the retailer very soon.

Problem with watching 1080i(ch. 9 demo) for extended periods. The picture starts to click on and click off and gets worse until is just stays off. I have the Toshiba STB so if I change the resolution to 576P the picture comes back. If I then start changing channels and attempt to view at 1080i it is a no go.

I has happened twice(during the daytime only) so I thought maybe it might be something to do with the power fluctuations???

I am going to ring Palsonic tomorrow and see what info I can get out of them.

Michaelf I don't really use anything except the HD inputs at the moment so can't really give any experience with the composite/svideo.

Just wondering as I have a xbox - where did you get the VGA converter?

morphball,

I am still waiting for the VGA converter. Ordered it from www.x2vga.com. Was around $80US including shipping. I found out about it on this forum. It just plugs directly into the xbox and seems to be exactly as the HD component pack however instead of component it has vga output so it maintaind the 720p or 1080i format into a vga input on the tv such as the palsonic.

Have you thought about the possibility of the problem you are experiancing being the set top box rather than the tv? I would check this first.

anyway, have you managed to get your screen configured right in terms of colour and geomitry etc for input of the HD box via the HD input? Os would you mind sharing it with me?

Thanks

Problem with watching 1080i(ch. 9 demo) for extended periods. The picture starts to click on and click off and gets worse until is just stays off. I have the Toshiba STB so if I change the resolution to 576P the picture comes back. If I then start changing channels and attempt to view at 1080i it is a no go.

Morphball,

I bought a dgtec 5000i last night, and as soon as I set it to 1080i the TV started clicking. I pressed the TV's menu button and it went away. This morning when I turned on the TV, it also started clicking. I spent the next few minutes pressing all sorts of buttons, switching things off and on, etc, before it seemed to go away by itself.

According to other posters here, the dgtec5000i and the toshiba are very similar internally. Hmmm.

I called Palsonic and they had no idea. They have been using a dgtec2000a and haven't come across the problem. They are going to purchase a 5000i to see if they can reproduce the problem.

Oh, and after adjusting the geometry I am now getting large coloured bands down the left side of the screen when in 1080i mode. Other modes are fine. It looks alot like magnetic interference, but degaussing and removing the power overnight hasn't fixed it.

On another note, when you switch the TV to RF input, do you get 3 lines of static noise down the middle of the screen? Both my set and the display model at Mt. Waverley Retravision have this problem. Wondering if it's a problem with all sets.

Paul

Paul,

Sorry to hear you are also having problems.

I've had the clicking come back around about a dozen times so far which is very frustrating as you know. I noticed that is has happened mostly within 15minutes of turning the set on. The picture has come back by itself a few times after a period.

I decided I would try another STB so I could rule out a problem with the video transmission of the Toshiba. I went out and picked up a Panasonic QTR2140.

So far I haven't had the clicking problem with the Pana(fingers crossed) - have it set to output everything at 1080i and is connected via the VGA socket. It has been running all day with no problems on the Palsonic(although the STB did lock up once when I was playing with the remote - which is why I originally bought the toshiba - doh).

When I was disconnecting the Toshiba I also noticed this tri coloured band on the left for the first time - I thought it might have been interference because the Panasonic was sitting on top and was powered on.

I don't have the three lines of static noise through RF - perhaps it is your area?

I'll continue to test the Panasonic STB and report the results but so far so good. Will probably take the Toshiba back in a few days.

Cheers,

morph

michaelf,

Thanks re the vga converter might invest in one of those when my bank account recovers.

Have you thought about the possibility of the problem you are experiancing being the set top box rather than the tv? I would check this first.

Yep previous post explains I took this advice. Seems to be going good so far. :blink:

The HD geometry and colour of the set is fairly good at the moment. The picture through the Pana STB on the VGA port is great. I'd say equal with the Toshiba.

My settings on VGA are the default in addition to:

H-Size 193

H-Phase 065

v-Size 117

V-Phase 151

Pincussion 091

Contrast 220

Bright 200

Cheers,

morph

Far out.. $1999 in the latest Harvey Norman catalog.. very tempted to pick one up at that price considering all the features, and the generally positive feedback!

3 yr warranty too, can't go too far wrong with that.

Considering this same unit was selling for $4500 RRP at the start of this year. That's a price reduction of $2500. You have to love competition!!!! I guess it's because of DEC selling their unit so cheap which comes from the same manufacturing Plant in China as the Palsonic.

Mark