Sign in to follow this  
Force1503559522

SAMSUNG 61”, 56", 50” & 46", HD 3 Panel LCD RPTVs.

I have a DGTEC DH-2000A.

I have not experienced any real problems with it but seeing as lot of people have a lot of problems with the DGTEC boxes you’re probably better off with the Toshiba or Panasonic HDSTB. :blink:

Yeah - I and a friend also have the DGtec DH-2000A and have no problems - but apparently others do

What have most owners done in regards to the set top box?

Did you buy a SD or HD STB? And what did you pay for it and does it do a good job?

Hi GLO

I too have the DH-2000a. I bought one with the samsung, partly because the retailer (JB HiFi in Brisbane) offered me a good price on it ($620) and also because it had the VGA output (which I've ended up not using).

From day one, I got faint diagonal interference patterns across anything from the dg-tec box, plus it would randomly pop up the service list and the station info boxes (that's really annoying when you're watching a movie!).

Fortunately, I had read all the forums on the dg-tec box and noted the many conplaints about problems, support, and return policy, so I made a point when I bought it to let the salesperson know that I knew about its many issues, and that if I had any problems, he'd be hearing from me.

So when I phoned up to report the problems, I was pleased that they just offered me a replacement. Even more pleasing, was when I got it home, plugged it in and the problems went away. phew.

I can't say I'm especially happy with the box. Everything about it just feels 'clunky' but the image quality is nice, and if you dump all the crap channels that get added during setup, you can navigate the channels a bit easier. Anything made by a company called Hyunwoo McPlus Co. can't inspire confidence (would you like fries with that? would you like to upsize to the 5000i for $500 more?).

So my advice is, if you buy one of these boxes, make sure you buy it from someone you can go back to... make sure the salesperson knows that you know what you're talking about... and definitely make sure that you can get it instantly replaced if you have any problems.

bags

GLO how much are you going to be paying for the 61"?

Additionally, I would recommended that you get an extended warranty as with a purchase like this it’s always a good idea to get one as a reassurance that you can get it repair if anything happens. :blink:

Hello everyone,

*PHEW* Glad to know you guys existed.

I think I took the wrong approuch to buying the TV.

I bought first, researched later!

I placed an order for the 50" unit last week (after seeing it in store) and then started doing a bit of searching for it on the net.

I asked the guy at the store how new/old the unit was, and he said it was fairly new, but when I looked for it on the Australian Samsung website it wasn't even there! I then did a search on Google using the model number, and I only got around 5 hits, which set me off in a complete panic. Then I went into the international Samsung website and found that all current HD rearpro TV's were already DLP!!! :blink:

My first thoughts were "this TV is already obsolete" and "WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!", but now that I've found you guys my heart is beating that little bit slower!

Well it will be arriving in around 2 weeks, so I will most probably be asking a lot of questions here in the near future... I hope I will have as much satisfaction with it as you guys here.

Some info :

- Bought it from Retravision - Sydney

- Price : $6600 cash (expensive?? the RRP was $7999 in store. Please advise)

- Will be buying the DGTEC DH-2000A STB (any advice?)

- Will be buying a DVD player (any advice?)

- Will be connecting to XBOX

- Will be connecting to PC

One last thing, what do you guys know about the differences between LCD and DLP for rearpros? Which one do you think is better? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks guys,

blend43 :P

Hello everyone,

*PHEW* Glad to know you guys existed.

hullo blend43

I've just bought the 50" samsung too... had it for a few weeks, and the guys in this thread have been extremely helpful in sorting out a few minor teething problems.

I got mine from JB HiFi in Brisbane, and paid $6200 cash, but bought a few grand worth of other stuff at the time too. I also paid an extra 5% for the 5 year warranty.

I bought a dh-2000a box with the samsung, and have already had it replaced, but I'm reasonably satisfied with it now.

I looked at the LG DLP option too, but everywhere I saw it, the picture could be described as 'average' at best, whereas the samsung LCD just looked great... Having said that, I honestly don't think most stores have the faintest idea how to set up a tv to show it off at its best. Half the time they have the aspect ratio set wrong, or they're showing analog tv on a hi-def set, or... my favourite... they're playing a live David Bowie peformance that's been shot on film in the 1970's... run through a few x-ray machines... transferred to NTSC video... lost the master... hired from the video store on VHS... converted to PAL, recaptured to MPEG-2 at 3 Mbps before finally authoring to DVD. <rant mode off>.

Check out the LG DLP threads and you'll notice many people having some pretty troubling experiences with it, but some who swear by it too.

Also check out some previous posts in this thread about hooking up the PC to the samsung. I'm just waiting for my DVI card to arrive before submitting a report detailing the differences 'tween the vga and dvi inputs.

cheers and welcome

bags

Yeah I checked out the LG DLP unit as well and was not impressed at all I even saw the dreaded Rainbow effect some people are affected by. I am shocked at how badly LG are treating Bubbear whose LG DLP unit is faulty.

I have spoken to the Samsung customer service in the past (in regards to a faulty washing machine) and they were excellent I only had to wait around 2 days before a brand NEW washing machine was delivered to my door step and the faulty one taken away. :blink:

GLO how much are you going to be paying for the 61"?

Additionally, I would recommended that you get an extended warranty as with a purchase like this it’s always a good idea to get one as a reassurance that you can get it repair if anything happens. :blink:

Hi Hari!

At the moment, I am suposed to be receiving a 42' HD plasma ( most likely the Phillips 1024x1024 but possibly the Panasonic HD model)

I hope to swap this over for the Samsung 61" LCD plus a HD STB (if they carry the Toshiba or Panasonic) and if theres still some credit left over maybe a Panasonic DVD HDD Recorder?

It may sound odd, but i will explain more once if it all works out.

And i hope i wont forget the extra 5 yr warranty! (i thought the warranty would be like the plasmas, where fault ie dead pixels usually occur on arrival and once your past the run in period, its all smoth sailing?)

What did you guys pay for your 61" Samsung?

Well its not that the Samsung is faulty or any thing it’s just that when you’re spending this type of money on High end product it’s always a good idea to have peace of mind. :blink:

I always make sure I get extended warranty with most of the stuff I buy. (call me crazy if you will lol.) :P

if you could change the DGTEC would you get the toshi or the pana STB?

I would go for the Toshiba HDSTB; even though I'm sure the Panasonic HDSTB also has nice picture quality etc the problem of over heating some people have experienced with the Panasonic would put me off from buying one. :blink:

Isnt the stand included with the purchase of the 61Inch Samsung? Its not sold separately im told? Can anyone confirme this?

I always make sure I get extended warranty with most of the stuff I buy. (call me crazy if you will lol.) :blink:

Who are these warranties with and what do they cover?

I looked at one some 4 or 5 months ago in Retravision and after reading all the exclusions I could not think of any circumstances left when a claim could be made.

I buy most of my stuff from Domayne on the Gold Coast great store. (and the extended warranties are with them.)

Here are the exclusions of the Domayne extended warranty which apply to my 61” Samsung.

A. Any part or circumstance not convered by the original manufacturer’s warranty.

B. Damage caused by Negligence or misuse or failure to service the equipment according to manufacturer’s recommendations.

C. All non-electronic, none-mechanical or consumable parts.

E. Consequential loss or damage of any type.

F. This warranty is not transferable.

Wow!

Samsung really are advanced, I didn't know they had LCD Rear projection washing machines :blink:

If there was such a thing, it sounds about as useful as LG's web enabled fridge :P

Wow!

Samsung really are advanced, I didn't know they had LCD Rear projection washing machines :blink:

If there was such a thing, it sounds about as useful as LG's web enabled fridge :P

Its linked via Wifi! so you can watch your rinse cycle! :P

Has any one calibrated their Samsung using the Avia calibration DVD? (or any other calibration DVD.) :blink:

No - but when u do - post the settings and Ill change mine to that :P)

Color Temperature Cool1/Cool2/Normal/ Warm1/Warm2

What do these setting do exactly?

And if you set it manually, does that over-ride the factory settings?

And i read somewhere that the DVI input is an option? Isnt it standard?

Thanks Hari!

Do you happen to know anything about the Topfield PVRs?

Re: Avia Calibration.

The THX Video calibration section of the 2 starwars DVDs (Well hidden, in the Language Section) does a pretty good job of helping you to adjust your white clip and black crush levels.

These adjustments are best done at the source (if your DVD player has these adjustments), that is, you want to adjust the output device to the optimum dynamic range before you make any adjustments to the display.

On my display, I have pretty much left the settings at the factory default and make the adjustments at the source (in my case, my PC Video Overlay controls). You'll find that the PC VGA or DVI output will have significantly wider dynamic range than most DVD player's analog output.

I used a friends Avia disk once, and then found that I could get pretty much the same final result just by using the THX stuff.