Sign in to follow this  
Force1503559522

SAMSUNG 61”, 56", 50” & 46", HD 3 Panel LCD RPTVs.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so I hope I'm doing this right.

Just received my 50" Samsung on the weekend, and although I haven't had much time to play with it, so far it looks brilliant.

Wanted to say that the information that members are posting here was incredibly helpful when making a purchasing decision. Hope I can contribute something useful to the forums too.

A quick rundown of my experience:

Purchased from JB HiFi in Brisbane. Ordered about 6 weeks ago, and required some pestering (ie. threatening to cancel the order) to get it, but the service was generally ok.

Using it with a dgtec DH-2000a and component connectors, the quality of the image is outstanding in HD, and it makes me realise just how poorly many retailers seem to have their display models set up (I'm sure some of them are just using a composite cable).

Briefly tried using the 15pin RGB out of the dgtec to the 15 pin in on the samsung, but encountered some strange interlacing artefacts toward the bottom of the screen. Haven't investigated this further yet. Running a media server PC through the PC input at 1024 x 768 produces a very crisp image albeit with a narrow grey border around the edges of the screen.

No dodgy pixels (phew! was a bit worried about that)

Thanks again to everyone for the contributions. Cheers.

bags

Hi Bags - welcome to teh Sammy club -lets see if u can be the 1st to work out how to program that remote control :blink:

I just tested out the PC input on my 61” Sammy, by using powerstrip. It accepted the native resolution of 1280 x 720 (Power Strip listed the max resolution accepted by the Sammy as 1674 x 944) but the only drawback was that the picture had a grey border around it. (Like bags said.)

In my opinion the border has been coded into the unit’s driver by Samsung. I reckon that everyone who owns the 61” & 50” Sammys to ring up Samsung and complain about this and the resolution being locked to a max of 1024x720 when using the PC input. (This problem may even be able to be fixed through the service menu.)

Hopefully Samsung agree to update the unit’s drivers to fix this problem. :blink:

Hi all,

I haven't had a chance to play with the remote control yet, but I did notice that the user's manual was somewhat vague about the process of configuring it for other devices.

While I was eagerly waiting for the TV to arrive, I downloaded the user guide from the international samsung site. Looking through it now, I see that it's quite different to the one supplied, and it contains the information for setting up the remote, with the codes for various devices.

It's about a 7MB download and is available at:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/...2A_ENG_1210.pdf

I'll have a play tonight and see if it works ok.

Cheers

bags

Damn. No luck with the remote control I'm afraid.

The version listed in the documentation from the international samsung web site is slightly different, and includes a 'set' button for specifying the device codes for other equipment.

This seems to be a rather glaring omission from the remote supplied with the tv in Australia. Must be one of those specifications that are "subject to change without notice".

Oh well, back to the programmable remote again I guess.

bags

Briefly tried using the 15pin RGB out of the dgtec to the 15 pin in on the samsung, but encountered some strange interlacing artefacts toward the bottom of the screen. Haven't investigated this further yet. Running a media server PC through the PC input at 1024 x 768 produces a very crisp image albeit with a narrow grey border around the edges of the screen.

Hi Bags,

Can you elaborate on the grey border problem at all??

I'm looking at maybe getting the Sammy and will have it hooked up to a htpc via DVI.

cheers

Hi Bags,

Can you elaborate on the grey border problem at all??

I'm looking at maybe getting the Sammy and will have it hooked up to a htpc via DVI.

Hi O-3

I'm still getting the wrinkles ironed out of setting up my lounge pc with the 50 inch samsung, but so far this is where I'm at:

I'm using the standard 15 pin VGA out from the PC to the VGA in on the TV and the image quality is excellent, but bear in mind, that my previous setup was TV out via s-video to a standard 68 cm TV, so anything looks great compared to that!

Haven't tried the DVI in yet, as I'm using a slimline case for the PC, and low profile DVI capable video cards are either scarce / expensive or both, but I reckon a digital to digital signal would be even better. The 'auto config' for setting up the screen size / position using VGA works perfectly. It's not even out by a single pixel.

As mentioned earlier, at 1024 x 768, there is a grey border around the edge of the image that is probably as wide as the screen bezel again. This puzzles me as according to the samsung site, the native resolution of the LCD panels is 1280 x 720. Since there's no convenient multiplier to scale the vertical resolution by, I can't see why they don't just scale to the full screen.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say they were scaling vertically by about 0.9, which would use 691 of the 720 pixels.

Horizontal scaling is even more baffling, as 1024 pixels scales beautifully by 1.25 to give the full 1280 pixels, and yet they're clearly not doing this. I'd guess about 1.2 horizontally to give about 1229 of the 1280 pixels.

These are just guesses. I'll get some more precise details when I get a bit more time to play (have to go to work through the day damnit).

The next oddity is that the manual (which is written in the usual barely comprehensible jingerish) says that setting the PC to 1024 x 768 is best for higer somethingorother, but 800 x 600 is better for full screen. Well, I very briefly tried setting the PC to 800 x 600, and it still had the grey border. I will try this setting again properly and give you a report after I've tried rebooting / powerstrip and all the other usual stuff.

For your information, here's a few 'cons' for you to contrast with the many 'pros' that might help you to make a purchasing decision:

The TV always powers up with its internal TV tuner as the default source, so you have to press a few buttons on the slightly clumsy remote to switch the source to PC / hi-def box or whatever.

The powerup time is quite a few seconds, during which, the TV doesn't seem to respond to remote signals (which is a pain as I was planning on using a macro to turn it on and switch modes using my programmable IR remote. bugger.)

Anyway, that's all for now. I'll keep you informed of progress. If anyone has any suggestions for getting around these issues, it'd be great to get some feedback.

bags

Thanks Bags.

I'll wait a bit and see how you go buddy.

O-3

Hi all,

Just a quick follow up to O-3's request for more info on the grey border when using VGA input from a PC:

The border exists when using both 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768, and seems to be the same size in both modes.

I've just quickly dumped some images up if you want to take a look. They're at:

http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~wieden/samsung.htm

I also checked out what Powerstrip thought the Samsung was capable of. It reports a resolution of 1674 x 944, which doesn't seem to gel with the Samsung web site.

Has anyone else got the Samsung hooked up to a dgtec DH2000A using the VGA connector? I get a strange interlacing effect over a few lines across the screen in the lower half. No problem with a component connection though.

bags

As mentioned earlier, at 1024 x 768, there is a grey border around the edge of the image that is probably as wide as the screen bezel again. This puzzles me as according to the samsung site, the native resolution of the LCD panels is 1280 x 720. Since there's no convenient multiplier to scale the vertical resolution by, I can't see why they don't just scale to the full screen.

Are you able to run your PC at 1280x720 resolution and feed that into the Samsung?

Has anyone else got the Samsung hooked up to a dgtec DH2000A using the VGA connector? I get a strange interlacing effect over a few lines across the screen in the lower half. No problem with a component connection though.

bags

I just tested out VGA on my DH2000A and the picture was perfect on my 61” Sammy.

Bags maybe your VGA cable is the cause of the problem?

Zif I ran my PC at 1280x720 resolution and feed that into my 61" Sammy and it worked with no problem. :blink:

I used powerstrip.

Hi Hari,

So you had no probs at all with that grey Border when running 1280x720??

Bags,

Thanks for the posting the pics mate. :P

cheers

I was at HiFi Supermarket in Maribyrnong yesterday, and saw that the Samsung is now priced at $8700 - including HD STB and stand. The LG was still at $9600

So if anyone is after one, I reckon you can haggle to <$8000 .... a real bargain!!!

Zif I ran my PC at 1280x720 resolution and feed that into my 61" Sammy and it worked with no problem.

I used powerstrip.

Hi Hari,

So you had no probs at all with that grey Border when running 1280x720??

Bags,

Thanks for the posting the pics mate.

cheers

The grey Border still shows up at 1280x720 but the strange thing is when you plug the DH2000A into the VGA port (which out puts RBG.) and run it at 1080i it does not have a boarder and im guessing that if you can get the PC to output RBG that the grey border would be gone? :blink:

The grey boarder does not really bother me since I don’t run my computer through my Sammy I only do it to post the test results here. :P

Bags maybe your VGA cable is the cause of the problem?

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've tried two VGA cables. Both are just from VGA monitors. Does anyone know if there is any particular VGA cable required? It's a new dgtec DH2000A, and judging from the masses of posts from people having problems with them, it might be dodgy. Grrr.

bags

Are you able to run your PC at 1280x720 resolution and feed that into the Samsung?

I'm afraid not. I'm running a slimline case. Motherboard with onboard video, so driver doesn't seem to permit the non-standard resolutions. I'll hunt around for a new driver and see if it gives any more resolutions.

bags

I'm afraid not. I'm running a slimline case. Motherboard with onboard video, so driver doesn't seem to permit the non-standard resolutions. I'll hunt around for a new driver and see if it gives any more resolutions.

bags

Have you tried powerstrip?

I used powerstrip and i was able to output 1280x720.

what are the bulb life and replacemtne cost for the Samsung 61 and LG 60?