Sign in to follow this  
Force1503559522

SAMSUNG 61”, 56", 50” & 46", HD 3 Panel LCD RPTVs.

The 61' Samsung will be in near the end of this month (to the GoldCoast) which is when my one will be delivered.

That is what i meant to say in my Post above Dilligaf.... Sorry. :blink:

I checked this TV out at hi-fi supermarket highpoint entertainment center in melbourne. It was sat next to the LG 152cm. They both looked very nice in the darkened corner of the room, but the Samsung just had the bigger WOW factor. It's picture looked very crisp and much nicer than the LG. Unfortunately, they were showing Kerrie Anne on the CH9 HDTV at the time :P I did notice the LG seemed to be suffering from some oversan problems. The HDTV 9 logo was slightly cut off on the right of the LG. Of course you never know if you're comparing like with like even in the same shop, but in this case I THINK they probably made an equal effort on both TVs.

From about 3 meters I could no longer notice the flywire effect ( which I find quite off-puting ). I decided to checkout smoothchats report about hot/warm/off-color pixels between the 2 units. Well, I studied both of them pretty hard. The LG had a sum total of 1 pixel that didnt look right in the lower right hand corner. To my surprise I found more than 20 bad pixels (varying from green in color to looking overly "bright") on the Samsung and they were all concentrated toward the center of the picture :blink:

However, I was putting my nose up to the screen to spot them and they just dissapeared when you got back to a distance where you could no longer see the flywire effect anyway. However, it does seem that the samsung is likely to have a far greater dodgy pixel count than the LG from initial reports. A bit of a hit/miss affair when purchasing I guess. If you're going to be intolerant of these things, you better make sure you can keep swapping units until you are satisfied before you purchase one.

Funny thing with the LG, is I went to the Harvey norman next door and its unit didnt seem to have the same degree of overscan in it. Surprising, because the HN TVs tend to look like crap compared to the setups in the hi-fi supermarket.

Thats the biggest problem with checking out TVs. The quality can very so much from store to store and even within the same store and finding a store that knows how to set these units up to their best is not very common (not in my experience anyway).

I own the Panasonic TX47500H and nowadays, this TV looks like shite in every store I go to. I can assure you, mine looks 10 times better than any unit I can see in the store these days (well, compared to 600H ie).

The other thing that I dont really like about the LCD TVs is their mirror like screen. Thats OK, if you have a darkened room all the time, but doesn't suit my room unfortunately, but I sure as hell love looking at these TVs (esp samsung) in a darkened room....hehe, I had to leave the store before I started draggin out my wallet, not that that would do much good mind you...its getting pretty empty :grief:

Didnt see any of these LCD units in the DSE powerhouse next door for some reason. Popped into DSE to pick up the Pana RP82 DVD player to replace my old Tosh SD 2109. Got it for 430 bux...no chroma bugs and superb progressive NTSC (no prog pal, but my TV somewhat does a good job on its progressive scan for PAL interlaced anyway).

I'm glad the tech is moving quickly on all this stuff and that its getting cheaper and cheaper because it gives me another excuse to pop down to the local stores and watch TV

Does anybody know what the weight of the stand for this unit is? I've been trying Samsung etc but to no avail.

Please help!!!

Markie Boy

Yeah thats where the guy I know bought his from - Hi Fi supermarket at High point.

I have not seen this Samsung 61" anywhere else.

The guy is setting it up tonight and will send me a few pics - Ill try and post some links when Ive got them.

The samsung has a tuner in it, is 1 inch bigger - and does have a greater "wow" factor than the LG.

The other thing that I dont really like about the LCD TVs is their mirror like screen. Thats OK, if you have a darkened room all the time, but doesn't suit my room unfortunately, but I sure as hell love looking at these TVs (esp samsung) in a darkened room....hehe, I had to leave the store before I started draggin out my wallet, not that that would do much good mind you...its getting pretty empty :grief: 

Hi Bazza,

I was worried about this before I bought my LG 152cm but if you look at the photo below you will see that we live in a warehouse and have lots of light coming in during the day. I thought that this might be a problem with the reflective screen but I can honestly say that after the first couple of days my wife and I no longer notice the reflections. I can see the reflections if I consciously focus in on it but I rarely even notice them. We have watched lost of movies during the day over the weekends.

My LG 152cm

Not sure if this helps or not with the Samsung but the LG 152cm is fine in a bright area like ours.

Does anybody know what the weight of the stand for this unit is? I've been trying Samsung etc but to no avail.

Please help!!!

Markie Boy

I know its heavier that the TV which is around 46Kg

I should know by monday -when I talk to the guy I know who got his today (withs ome pics)

The Samsung has a anti-reflective screen so that should not be a problem and one of my pet hates with the 60' LG I had was the screen was way to reflective in my lounge room it was just pain in the ass to watch tv at day time.

I am looking to get the SP61L2H or maybe the LG sometime in the next 4 - 6 months. However I live in Adelaide and there isn't much competition here for this kind of display unit and most of the retailers here struggle with the concept of reducing the price under RRP.

So I am starting to think that perhaps my best option is to "import" from Victoria (or aywhere else for that matter but Vic should be cheaper shipping-wise).

So here is my question: does anyone know of a store or stores that would ship it to me in Adelaide?

Or alternatively, which stores are likely to even consider such an option?

I reckon I can save $1000 - 1500 on the purchase price so even if shipping cost $500 (surely not that much) I'd still be way in front.

Or I suppose I could fly over to Melbourne, buy it, hire a small van (one-way hire) and drive it back myself.

Any other ideas?

Ok I got one now

$8,800 inclding a Dgtec 2000a STU

heres is a picture

the image on the screen is from the X-box game DOA Xtreme beach volleyball

very nice dilligaf...looks good.

I'm yet to decide between the sammy and the LG...waiting till a few more get the sammy.

Force...any news on yours?????

cheers

I am looking to get the SP61L2H or maybe the LG sometime in the next 4 - 6 months. However I live in Adelaide and there isn't much competition here for this kind of display unit and most of the retailers here struggle with the concept of reducing the price under RRP.

So I am starting to think that perhaps my best option is to "import" from Victoria (or aywhere else for that matter but Vic should be cheaper shipping-wise).

So here is my question: does anyone know of a store or stores that would ship it to me in Adelaide?

Or alternatively, which stores are likely to even consider such an option?

I reckon I can save $1000 - 1500 on the purchase price so even if shipping cost $500 (surely not that much) I'd still be way in front.

Or I suppose I could fly over to Melbourne, buy it, hire a small van (one-way hire) and drive it back myself.

Any other ideas?

Hi Big Guns!

Nice to see you on these boards too :blink:

Now regarding your questions about getting it in Victoria, my feeling is that the cheaper discount stores might not ship it out interstate.

However, you can always arrange for your own courier to pick it up and deliver it to you. I have no idea about the price though.

Pretty much all stores in Melbourne has these units listed at $9499 now but you can easily haggle it down to low to mid $8000's.

I bought my LG from JB Hifi for $8400 + $459 for the 5 year extended warranty (well worth it for something this expensive)

I think bruce_r bought his from Brashs for $8300. I think someone from Perth or Sydney managed to get it down to $8000 even.

Now, how effective haggling on the phone will be, I don't know. They might not bring the price down so readily if you're not there in person.

Does Adelaide have stores such as JB Hifi and The Good Guys? Maybe you could get them to price-match their Melbourne counterparts.

As per my post above - I have the Samsung 61"

I also know someone else who has one - I am very impressed with it - the ammount of inputs available on it compared to the LG - is what finnalyy sold me (and its bigger)

The remote Control apparently can be used to control other devices, eg DVD, VCR, foxtel etc - but as of yet I have not worked that out

Speaking of remotes:

The LG remote has a built in laser pointer (using the display as a presentation device I guess). Not much use for normal viewing, but a great way to remote control my cat. I just point the beam towards where I want the cat to go. It pounces trying to catch the beam. Very funny.

I got one as well. :blink:

Hey Dilligaf does your one all ways start up on the TV input when you turn it on?

Also I have to say normal TV and Austar looks f**king kick ass on the TV and HDTV (I have seen.) looks amazing on it.

I have to get a Digital camera to take some pics because my one atm is ****ed. (Dog bit into it hahaha.)

Dilligaf also what Model Code is your one. (have a look at the back of the unit.)

My one is Version-1.

I think it always starts on TV yeah

Ill have to check the model number

And yes the image quality is awesome - I have taken some other pics - but just posted that one

Cool. :P

I have calibrated the unit for the best image quality etc.

Here are the settings:-

Contrast: 100

Brightness: 65

Sharpness: 50

Colour: 40

Film Mode: Off

Digital NR: On

DNIe: On

For games you might like to up the colour to about 50. :blink:

hey - thanks for that - Ill try them out myself

connecting my advanced AV pack with Optical sound tomorrow :blink:

It's not clear to me what the scaling engine is in this series of lcd rptv's.

In the DLP series it was faroudja DCDi.

Does anyone know what is being used in the LCD range?

cheers

Hey Dilligaf how do you find Channel 10, 9 and 7 HDTV on the unit?

Because at the moment I can only get ABC and SBS HDTV. (GoldCoast. :blink:)