Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Well that is some revelation. I'm must get my eyes checked :(

Maybe it depends on the batch off the processing line. Maybe some batches, for whatever reason, respond better or worse than other batches so maybe what you see is better because your screen is from a different batch than what Dennis has received. You would think all things being equal, results shouldn't change.

Edited by pasadena

The 3001.1 you posted about was for the B series LCD. Looks like the SamyGo stuff is for older sets too. Interesting find though :)

(EDIT: And was released in March, before our sets were available.)

Edited by Guest

Maybe it depends on the batch off the processing line. Maybe some batches, for whatever reason, respond better or worse than other batches so maybe what you see is better because your screen is from a different batch than what Dennis has received. You would think all things being equal, results shouldn't change.

Yes that sounds very logical. (May cancel my appointment with the Optometrist :D )

Oh yeah the equiv of our model in the US is the PS 63C8000. However that has hardware in it for Calib Day and Night so not sure I will take the plunge. Then again we may already have this hardware and need fw to activate.

I would advise even myself to not upload any US FW. I was confident with the Danish as I had somewhere with a lot of Tech nouse check out their model and ours and he said it will be fine.

I may upload current fw ....only because it prevents you doing what I am very tempted to do :unsure: and I don't trust my self :ninja:

Edited by CC Rider

I very much doubt it Dave. Especially the way he responded when I used the Danish FW.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...t&p=1571844

Case of do as I say... Not as I do... And loose?

Edit: Actually, when I looked, he wan't responding to you CC, but he does say "If you did kill your TV buy using the wrong firmware I would not expect Samsung to cover the repair under warranty as its deliberate misuse." so...

Edited by Guest

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...t&p=1571844

Case of do as I say... Not as I do... And loose?

Edit: Actually, when I looked, he wan't responding to you CC, but he does say "If you did kill your TV buy using the wrong firmware I would not expect Samsung to cover the repair under warranty as its deliberate misuse." so...

Hmm I think will give him the benefit of the doubt on this one :D

Updated to fw3001.1 this afternoon. They've definately made a slight change to overall brightness. It appears to have been lowered, as you have to use a slightly higher value than before. Possibly a minor alteration to gamma as well. (We need someone with calibration software to do some measurements). As noted, you will lose your current settings & you'll need to do a re-scan. Black level still slightly higher with Cinema Smooth on & 50hz material. I doubt fw will ever change that, but it's not an issue in my books. It's still very good either way.

Andys.

Updated to fw3001.1 this afternoon. They've definately made a slight change to overall brightness. It appears to have been lowered, as you have to use a slightly higher value than before. Possibly a minor alteration to gamma as well. (We need someone with calibration software to do some measurements). As noted, you will lose your current settings & you'll need to do a re-scan. Black level still slightly higher with Cinema Smooth on & 50hz material. I doubt fw will ever change that, but it's not an issue in my books. It's still very good either way.

Andys.

Reference level goodness according to the learned Dennis Thomsen :)

so my good cyberspace friend you noticed a darker picture. I also updated to fw 3001 and I doubt I will precluded from my Danish FW site in the futre despite what that hackers

website warned people against. I know someone who installed 3001 then the 3001.3 Danish FW without issues but I will probably will restrain myself from the temptation to upload the next Dannish fw release given what Owen advised below. I suppose I have been lucky but luck does run out.

Also our fw 3001.1 is 31mb larger than Danish version. That is a lot of mb hence code. Just wondering what it is doing. :unsure:

Edited by CC Rider

People often see what they want to see (placebo effect), without complete recalibration and reliable measurements before and after firmware updates its not really possible to make any meaningful judgements. Judging black level by eye is very unreliable even for the very experienced, one dark shade of gray looks much like another without direct comparison, that's why I don't get too worked up over minor differences in black level between TV's. Unless the difference is stark its not worth worrying about.

Updating firmware without knowing exactingly what will be achieved (proven) and the negative side effects if any is not advisable IMHO.

I do use a SamyGo utility on my 2009 Samsung as it corrects the aspect ratio bug in the media player that otherwise makes the media player unusable for 1440x1080 content from my video camera. The TV is otherwise not broken and does not need fixing, just like my 4 year old Sony which has also never had a firmware update. The issues I do have with my Samsung are not likely to ever be addressed by a firmware update and I don't expect them to ever be.

Many of the SamyGo tools (including the one I use) are not firmware hacks but firmware patches that are applied to a booted system. When the TV is powered down at the power point (cold booted) all alterations are lost and the TV reverts to its as delivered condition.

Firmware updates for my Sammy LCD have done nothing to improve picture quality but have removed the ability to use SamyGo tools and I believe the ability to revert to previous firmware versions, therefore I will not be upgrading without VERY good reason and I suspect that will never happen as is the case with my Sony.

My advise is don't be quick to update the firmware on your TV or any other device, only do so when the benefits or other wise are well understood, and that may take some months.

Edited by Owen

My advise is don't be quick to update the firmware on your TV or any other device, only do so when the benefits or other wise are well understood, and that may take some months.

Good advice :D

Edited by CC Rider

hi all

finally found my game option in menus but mine is greyed out

i installed latest firmware too last night so any ideas would be greatly appreaciated so i can see how my ps3 looks with game settings

cheers barny

Change input from TV to HDMI etc and it should stop being grey.

Haven't installed the firmware yet, but I will use the exact same scene (from The Dark Knight Blu-ray) again to check if there are any changes (just the overall look, plus focusing some some detail in the dark areas of the scene). Shame that all the settings has to be entered in again, I think I still have photos of the settings from before the last update for reference.

Hi all,

I was just wondering is anyone able to update/upgrade firmware via online using the Sammy? Rather than going to the support page and downloading to USB flash drive.

I get things like time out error or latest firmware not available yet.

If this is the same for all will it it ever work? Or what is the point of having it , if we can't utilise the feature.

Cheers

DK.

If this is the same for all will it it ever work? Or what is the point of having it , if we can't utilise the feature.

I also have the wireless dongle attached and have waited a few weeks after a firmware update has been issued and it would

always say i had the latest firmware. I ended up using the USB stick method as i gave up waiting