Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

On that similar note, has anyone found any advantages of upgrading firmware on the A550 sets? I saw there was an update from early November and mine is dated from June. Is there somewhere i can see what they've changed through these updates?

Ha! That is actually quite funny. Get a life? After reading the thread it seems that i am not the only person you have criticised or abused. Now who doesn't have a life....spending your time insulting people on a TV forum. Is that what makes you feel better?....did mummy hurt you when you were small....did daddy make you squeal like a pig. Come on you can tell us. We are all friends here.

Helped my mother purchase a 40" 6 series today ($1640 from HN, next best quote was JB at $2080) and I'm very impressed with all aspects of it.

If only I had enough money to purchase one for me!

Hi could U please email me a copy of the recieps as the price is great!

drooling@fastmail.fm

I have a new one of these TV's (46" 650) and find the full guide unusable - preview window is just to slow. I have seen it discussed here but there seems to be no resolution. Does this annoy anyone else? Can we approach Samsung as a group to have the previewed removed, either permanently or optionally?

hey guys I'm a newbie here so sorry if I'm repeating anything - I just got a Samsung LA40A550 - and the default colour setting aren't the best - I heard there is a guide or even a dvd I can burn to setup the perfect colours and settings for my TV - can someone please point me in the right direction

Thank you

Does anyone have a PS3 connected via the HDMI with Dolby Digital working. I recently purchase a Series 6 LDC TV and connecting the PS3 via HDMI I get no Dolby Digital Sound.

HI Xeon881

I have the Samsung series 6 Plasma PS50A650 and it clearly says in the manual that it will not pass dolby digital from HDMI source back out the TV optic to an AMP receiver

So I have my PS3 sound pluged directly into the amp receiver via optical since my amp is pre-HDMI

this was disapointing as i'm sure they could fix this with a fw update. (fyi this thread is about picture 1080p not sound)

Ok now on to my post on the 1080P from PS3 OMFG it's unreal

Hired Batman Dark Knight on BD last night it was so crisp I could not get my jaw off the floor.

and WipEout HD (PSN Game ) 1080P and 60 fsp drool

Hello Everyone,

New member here and just want to say what an awesome site!

I am running a Samsung LA46M81 along with the Samsung DVD 1080P7, have had this setup for well over a year and am very happy with it. I haven't really played around too much with changing all the settings, it pretty much runs the factory default ones. I know with LCD and PLASMA, the pic quality is a very personal taste and everyone has it set to their own liking.

Some people like the real film smooth pic, while others like the sharp strong pic. I tend to fall somewhere in between these two. I was wondering if anyone can recommend some settings to try out? I am keen to see what this baby can do.

Also with the DVD player, you can adjust some of the settings in there as well which may affect the overall pic quality.

If anybody knows of any settings to use there that would be great too.

cheers guys

Evening All,

Well we bought 3 samsungs in the last 4 months. Had a 52" delivered in mid July and the other 2, a 32" and a 46".

The 52" has been in it's box until early November when we moved into our new home. Unpacked everything, connected it up and the damn thing didn't turn on. So it's been well over 3 months and The Good Guys just fobbed me off and didn't do anything about.

Told us to ring samsung so we did, tech came out about 3 weeks ago. Had a look at the main board and told us it needed to be replaced and they had to order from Singapore. 2.5 weeks later the part finally arrived after about a dozen phone calls to the sub contractor.

Part was swapped out and it worked all and good for about 5 - 8 hours and then failed again.

Rang up samsung directly this time and demanded that our unit is replaced and after to and fro for about 4 hours the same sub contractors picked up the unit late last week to investigate further. Also logged an online claim with consumer affairs Vic about the DOA unit. This should make sure either Samsung or The Good Guys sort this out.

I'm giving them till the end of this week to respond.

Helped my mother purchase a 40" 6 series today ($1640 from HN, next best quote was JB at $2080) and I'm very impressed with all aspects of it.

If only I had enough money to purchase one for me!

Wow! Which HN was this, and did they try to upsell you with anything to make up on the margin - eg. overpriced cables/warranty/delivery? Wouldn't mind a copy of that recipt everyone is asking for: jameschua24 at gmail dot com.

Wow! Which HN was this, and did they try to upsell you with anything to make up on the margin - eg. overpriced cables/warranty/delivery? Wouldn't mind a copy of that recipt everyone is asking for: jameschua24 at gmail dot com.

please also send to

heron (dot) a (at) hotmail (dot) (com).

HI Xeon881

I have the Samsung series 6 Plasma PS50A650 and it clearly says in the manual that it will not pass dolby digital from HDMI source back out the TV optic to an AMP receiver

So I have my PS3 sound pluged directly into the amp receiver via optical since my amp is pre-HDMI

this was disapointing as i'm sure they could fix this with a fw update. (fyi this thread is about picture 1080p not sound)

Ok now on to my post on the 1080P from PS3 OMFG it's unreal

Hired Batman Dark Knight on BD last night it was so crisp I could not get my jaw off the floor.

and WipEout HD (PSN Game ) 1080P and 60 fsp drool

Thanks Assimilator,

I too am disappointed, as my previous LG LCD TV decoded and passed the 5.1 sound out via the TV optical Out, I do hope they fix this. So at the moment I also have my PS3 connected to an AMP via Optical.

Cheers

Cheers

Guest brad_warren

hi, i recently purchased the Samsung Series 6 40 inch (LA40A650A1F) which came with firmware 1004, dated 20/5/2008.

i just upgraded to 1012.1 or whatever the latest one is at the moment, and noticed a few difference, speed differences in menu, guide browsing, and the name change to "Movie Plus" etc.

but i also noticed that when i'm using the xbox 360, or ps3 (both through HDMI) i get a very light flickering all over the screen, on both.. mostly on dark blues, but not blacks.

this never happened with firmware 1004 and just wondering if anyone else has noticed this? and what can i do about it? i don't really wanna downgrade firmware, if anyhting i'd try going to 1011, but i can't find the firmware files anywhere.

hi, i recently purchased the Samsung Series 6 40 inch (LA40A650A1F) which came with firmware 1004, dated 20/5/2008.

i just upgraded to 1012.1 or whatever the latest one is at the moment, and noticed a few difference, speed differences in menu, guide browsing, and the name change to "Movie Plus" etc.

but i also noticed that when i'm using the xbox 360, or ps3 (both through HDMI) i get a very light flickering all over the screen, on both.. mostly on dark blues, but not blacks.

this never happened with firmware 1004 and just wondering if anyone else has noticed this? and what can i do about it? i don't really wanna downgrade firmware, if anyhting i'd try going to 1011, but i can't find the firmware files anywhere.

Not sure about the series 6,but the earlier models have an option to revert back to the previous software.

Go into your software upgrade/ over the air upgrade/software information and there is an option to switch software.

Good luck.

HDrocks: B)

Is it worth going for the 32" 550 series over the 32" 450? I'm thinking of getting the 450 tomorrow at Dick Smith (I was in there Sunday and the guy said that they would price match JB's price of $898). On one hand, I'd really rather not go over $1000 (which I would have to do to go 1080p) but on the other I do sit kind of close (1.5m) and am unsure what Blu-Ray will be like on 720p although I'm not too fussy. I think I'm probably over-analysing it because anything will look good compare to my tiny crt and I'm not really looking to get Blu-Ray for a couple of years, so for the next year or two it's basically just going to be 360, upscaled dvds and some tv. Some advice would be much appreciated.

Is it worth going for the 32" 550 series over the 32" 450? I'm thinking of getting the 450 tomorrow at Dick Smith (I was in there Sunday and the guy said that they would price match JB's price of $898). On one hand, I'd really rather not go over $1000 (which I would have to do to go 1080p) but on the other I do sit kind of close (1.5m) and am unsure what Blu-Ray will be like on 720p although I'm not too fussy. I think I'm probably over-analysing it because anything will look good compare to my tiny crt and I'm not really looking to get Blu-Ray for a couple of years, so for the next year or two it's basically just going to be 360, upscaled dvds and some tv. Some advice would be much appreciated.

If you get the 720p model will you be happy with it in a year, or will you be going "i should've spent the extra $200 (or whatever) to get the 1080p, it was only $200"? ^_^ after all, you'll have it for a number of years (hopefully)! Anyway, that's what I'd do - I bought a 46" and took it back a couple of days later and paid the extra and got the 52", which is what I wanted in the first place!

Hello All

Was after an LA40A550 but couldn't get a boxed one - only floor stock

BUT the Retravision guy said hang on until the post Xmas sale and the LA40A610 will be $1,300 odd.

Series 6 but no 100 Hz

Should I get the 610 instead of the 550 and why ?

Thanks guys