Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Went to the Good guys, Pooraka on Sunday to find out who to call re the TV issue I had, e.g black vertical lines (visible when close to the tv but not from 3 meters or more)and severe colour gradation when playing DVDs and FTA movies.

Got hold of the samsung agent in Adelaide on Monday but they couldn't send anyone around till Thursday. Supposed to be here at 1.30 but got here at 5.30pm. He looked at the tv and straight away said it wasn't right and would require a new board. He took it away and said it would take 4 to 5 days to get it back to me. At least no questions asked except had to provide proof of purchase, fortunately had it close by. He said it was one of those rare things that can go wrong even with any good quality TV but more likely to happen with cheaper brands. Lucky it wasn't dead pixel issue, would have been harder to get fixed. So for now have had to go back to my old 68cm TV. Right when the olympic games are on. Bugger!!!! 4 to 5 days? I can live without the missus for a while but I can't live without my TV especially now it has been here for 4 months. Am counting the sleeps till it comes back to me. :D

I thought I would just share my settings that I am using on this TV (46" 650) for others to share and compare.

Source FTA (HD)

Picture

Mode Movie

Backlight 6

Contrast 95

Brightness 45

Sharpness 8

Colour 52

Tint 50/50

Detailed Settings

Black Adjust Off

Dynamic Contrast Low

Gamma 0

Colour Space Custom

Red 23/0/0

Green 0/38/0

Blue 0/0/43

Yellow 43/43/0

Cyan 0/46/48

Magenta 26/0/45

White Balance

R Off 26

G Off 25

B Off 25

R Gain 13

G Gain 25

B Gain 15

Flesh Tone 0

Edge Enhancement Off

xvyCC NA

Picture Options

Colour Tone Cool1

Size Just Scan

DNR Off

100hz Low

Followed by.... (Sorry about above blank posts - dont really know what happened, if someone wants to delete them go ahead)

Source 360 (1080p component)

Picture

Mode Movie

Backlight 6

Contrast 90

Brightness 45

Sharpness 40

Colour 50

Tint 50/50

Detailed Settings

Black Adjust Off

Dynamic Contrast Medium

Gamma 0

Colour Space Custom

Red 23/0/0

Green 0/38/0

Blue 0/0/43

Yellow 43/43/0

Cyan 0/46/48

Magenta 26/0/45

White Balance

R Off 26

G Off 25

B Off 25

R Gain 13

G Gain 25

B Gain 15

Flesh Tone 0

Edge Enhancement Off

xvyCC On

Picture Options

Colour Tone Normal

Size 16:9

DNR Off

100hz Low

Anyone out there know if this one is fixable

I have just entered the world of PVRs with the TF7100HDPVRt. Also recently bought a Samsung LA46A650 100Hz LCD TV.

Come sport time I've been pretty impressed with the LCD performance at 100Hz. Now have just hooked up the TF7100 and used the HDMI port out of the PVR to the TV.

When selecting the HDMI port as source it displays the signal is coming in on 50Hz. And, sure enough the image does the talking, showing both live and recorded data as grainy as a 50Hz LCD would.

I'm not sure if there is a fix to this (apart from the obvious antenna loop-through using the TV's digital receiver as main). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers,

Shane.

The signal name would be correct most HDMI signals are shown as 50 or 60hz depending on the source.

I don't have a Toppy, but usually there is an option on HD boxes on what resolution to output the picture, make sure this is set for 1080.

Also check that 100hz motion plus is still enabled on your TV.

Peter.

Ring them up guys. I had the same thing for two weeks, rang up a week into - was told everthing was okay, then I rang up at the two week point and I was told the pysical coponent (The from you send in) was lost/not received. I had to fax it through. Very stressful. Ring up to make sure they have received the form.

Hi.. can anyone please tell me which number to call to follow up the status? I sent mine 5 days ago and I still haven't received an acknowledgement. In the email they sent me, it says that they should recieve the claim form today (based on the date of the receipt). The delivery of my TV (and receit) was delayed that's why I haven't submitted my claim form until last week.

Thanks in advance.

Hi.. can anyone please tell me which number to call to follow up the status? I sent mine 5 days ago and I still haven't received an acknowledgement. In the email they sent me, it says that they should recieve the claim form today (based on the date of the receipt). The delivery of my TV (and receit) was delayed that's why I haven't submitted my claim form until last week.

Thanks in advance.

I got mail from Samsung "Your Claim has been received and validated, however this is subject to your credit card payment being approved, which you will be notified about in the next 72hrs...." 7 days (working days) after i sent mine in express post.

And, this is the number you'd need to call for any problems relating to the promotion... 1300 780 910. G'luck~

Does anyone have a vibe as to when the Blu Ray players might get shipped?

There's still no mention of the new BD-P1500 players on the Samsung australia website that we're meant to be getting..

I assume they wont come with HDMI cables - same as the 1400s. I ordered a cable from ezyhd so its here when the player arrives.

Is anyone having the power-on issue with their 46" A650?

I am up to my third samsung in as many weeks. First had terrible clouding (unwatchable); second would refuse to switch on from standby (firmware update to 1.07 did nothing).

My third samsung has exactly the same power issue as well. Namely, if the tv is on standby, when you go to switch it on, the red light turns off - tv fails to power up. It is not a input issue, heat issue etc etc...

The buttons on the tv fail to work, the remote does nothing (despite the red light flashing on the tv with each press of the remote).

The only way we've found to get the tv to work is to reset at the powerpoint itself....not impressed at having to do this every day with a brand new 2 day old $3000 tv...

After the first 2 dud tv's, I asked g-guys to give the replacement from their latest batch of samsung tv's, hoping it may have just been a bad batch (with the first 2 tv's). Unfortunately the latest is just as bad and I am fuming....

I will contact samsung in the morning - just wanted to know if I am the only unlucky one out there...

Not sure its worth updating this one from 1.05 to 1.07 as it did nothing on tv #2..... :angry:

The signal name would be correct most HDMI signals are shown as 50 or 60hz depending on the source.

I don't have a Toppy, but usually there is an option on HD boxes on what resolution to output the picture, make sure this is set for 1080.

Also check that 100hz motion plus is still enabled on your TV.

Peter.

Thanks Peter for your advise. All above suggestions are/were already in check- to no improvement. I have sent an email away to the Toppy site for some answers.

Cheers,

Shane.

Is anyone having the power-on issue with their 46" A650?

I have had one instance of having to pull the plug on my 46" Samsung 650. No idea why. The TV would not respond to the remote. Pulling the plug and reinserting started the TV and I have not had a problem since. good thing as the family really like watching olympics on it.

Cheers,

K.H.

I had the same problem yesterday. Switched to a different source and it said no signal. It then decided to not do anything @ all with a blank screen.

Tried to turn the tv off and it didnt work. I had to switch off @ the wall for 20 secs to get it working again.

Guest Fastrc

Impakt

Good luck with your claim, please keep us informed.

Luckily I took out a 5 year extended warranty when purchased my 61" rear pro as I may need to claim on it soon because I have small white dots appearing on the screen.

Tony

Gavstar.. could it be something to do with your power feed?

Perhaps it isn't the tv but your own power source. If you're getting variable dips in power input which might be below the necessary input requirements for the TV, maybe this is a source of your trouble?

I would perhaps try the TV on another circuit in your house, or if you're game, haul it to the house of somebody you know and test it there. It's extremely unlikely that all these tv's have exactly the same fault. Maybe the samsungs are more sensitive to this than other tv's?

just a hypothesis.. not sure if it might be true or not - but probably worth a shot to atleast satisfy all your possible causes.

Perhaps it isn't the tv but your own power source. If you're getting variable dips in power input which might be below the necessary input requirements for the TV, maybe this is a source of your trouble?

I would perhaps try the TV on another circuit in your house, or if you're game, haul it to the house of somebody you know and test it there. It's extremely unlikely that all these tv's have exactly the same fault. Maybe the samsungs are more sensitive to this than other tv's?

just a hypothesis.. not sure if it might be true or not - but probably worth a shot to atleast satisfy all your possible causes.

I'm actually pretty concerned about the power cable for my TV. I know they are high current when the TV is on, and the way I had ti was a bad idea, but I had the TV sitting in front of an old disused gas heater, and the power cable was running just in front of the grate. I found that there was quite a lot of current running through the heater grate (enough to give me a decent shock) which suggests to me two things... a) the insulation on the cable isn't very good quality, B) the earth wire either isn't connected or isn't doing a very good job. I have since removed the grate from the heater, but it still concerns me a little that the power cable may not be 100%. The TV works fine though.

Thanks in advance.

i cant send pm. did you end up sorting out your claim??

has anyone been able to contact samsung promo line lately...Ive been trying today and twice ive been on hold for about 30mins and then get hung up on. Quite frustrating as the site says that my claim must be received by this thursday 14th...I sent it all off express post on the 7th and nothing has been updated. I wont be happy if they stuff this up....

It really depends on the area you are in and how busy those installers are, as well as if you already have Foxtel installed (but possibly not being used).

From what I have heard it can take from a couple of weeks to a couple of months from booking.

Peter.

Guest jinkaow

My blu ray player claim status updated to :

Your claim status is: The gift item of this valid claim has already been queued for dispatch.

Hopefully it will be out soon.

I'll give it a shot, but being in a fairly new house, we've never had any issues with any other appliance (power wise)...

I noticed on the US samsung website, they've just released a firmware update that deals with the intermittent power up issue...so it is pretty likely that they've recognised something inside the software is stuffed.

No such advice found on the aussie samsung website - just the 1.07 firmware and no description of what it fixes.

Samsung have sent me a reply stating refund is the probable option I should take...I just want to be able to enjoy my new tv and not have to switch it off and on at the powerpoint each day...

I've just got the 46a650 about 2 weeks ago and couldn't be happier. Stylish design, great blacks, great colours, easy to use, many options to improve picture, blu ray and ps3 games look awesome, no problems with motion at all and it's not a 68cm crt like my last piece of crap was.

On the downside it's speakers are very average but that's about all I can find so far.