Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Dogsrus that is a CRT based RPTV which does not support High Def these are all LCD based RPTV which support High Def etc we are all talking about the LCD based RPTVs in this thread not the CRT ones. :blink:

But I found info on the 54" version of that CRT RPTV:

http://www.samsung.com/au/products/tv/tant...v/sp_54t5hp.asp

Also Thanks Force for updating the thread etc. :P

Hi all,

Just wondering with all you guys who are proud owners of the Samsung LCD or the LG LCD (me) .... what kind sound system do you have.

I'm shopping for a HT surround sound system to go with my LG, and am curious to know whether you guys use a surround system or just use the TV speakers.

For those of you who have a HT surround system, I'd like to know whether you use it for all your viewing sources ... or do you only use for DVD and use the TV speakers for broadcast, sattelite, vcr etc.

Also, what particular setup do you have (amp/speaker brands) ... and do you use the amp to do all the video switching as well.

Merry Xmas to all!!!

Hey Startdrifter,

I just spent the last month seeking what to buy.

I finalised it all with Boston Acoustic Speakers 2 floor standing and 2 bookshelf, centre and 12 inch sub.

The Amp is the Yamaha RX-V1400. great amp! I run the dvd through this too.

I always use the HT gear for DVDs and when occasionally watching TV i just use the TV speakers. (more so becuase i havent bought a STB yet)

Hello everyone,

*PHEW* Glad to know you guys existed.

I think I took the wrong approuch to buying the TV.

I bought first, researched later!

I placed an order for the 50" unit last week (after seeing it in store) and then started doing a bit of searching for it on the net.

I asked the guy at the store how new/old the unit was, and he said it was fairly new, but when I looked for it on the Australian Samsung website it wasn't even there! I then did a search on Google using the model number, and I only got around 5 hits, which set me off in a complete panic.  Then I went into the international Samsung website and found that all current HD rearpro TV's were already DLP!!!

My first thoughts were "this TV is already obsolete" and "WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!", but now that I've found you guys my heart is beating that little bit slower!

Well it will be arriving in around 2 weeks, so I will most probably be asking a lot of questions here in the near future... I hope I will have as much satisfaction with it as you guys here.

Some info :

- Bought it from Retravision - Sydney

- Price : $6600 cash (expensive?? the RRP was $7999 in store. Please advise)

- Will be buying the DGTEC DH-2000A STB (any advice?)

- Will be buying a DVD player (any advice?)

- Will be connecting to XBOX

- Will be connecting to PC

One last thing, what do you guys know about the differences between LCD and DLP for rearpros? Which one do you think is better? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks guys,

blend43 

Hi All,

FYI I did the big ring around today, and the best price I got in Sydney for the 50" Sammy was $6500 delivered from both Good Guys in Auburn and J&B Hi-Fi in Parramatta.

I ended up goinng for the 46" Sammy in the end, $5450 delivered from J&B HiFi in Parramatta. I phone ordered it at 4pm, went in there to give them my credit card details at 4.30pm and the box was at my house at 5.15pm. Not bad for New Years Eve eh ? :blink:

The reason I went for the 46" is that 4" of extra diagonal screen space wasn't worth $1050 to me, that money covered the cost of a new Pioneer progressive scan DVD player ($219 on special, and it does PAL progressive) all the cables I needed, the 5 year extended warranty and a couple of hundred left to go towards a STB one day. The 46", 50" and 61" are basically the same box so I haven't lost any technical features as far as I can tell from the spec sheets. If anyone knows any different, please fill me in.

Haven't had a chance to hook her up yet, NYE and all but tomorrow morning is going to be Christmas all over again :P It does seem like I am the only person here that has a 46" Sammy though, feel a bit left out there.....anyone else with me ?

Cheers,

Paul.

BTW long time lurker here at this great forum, nice to have something to add for a change. Thanks to everyone who posts info here, it's appreciated

Hi pmacleod

Congratulations on you purchase, I am sure you will have a lot of good times with.

Pioneer progressive scan DVD player ($219 on special, and it does PAL progressive)

What model is this? I was not aware that Pioneer supported Pal Progressive, but I must be wrong.

Anyway you have some good viewing time :blink:

Spearmint

Hi pmacleod

Congratulations on you purchase, I am sure you will have a lot of good times with.

Pioneer progressive scan DVD player ($219 on special, and it does PAL progressive)

What model is this? I was not aware that Pioneer supported Pal Progressive, but I must be wrong.

Anyway you have some good viewing time :blink:

Spearmint

Hi Spearmint,

The DVD player is a Pioneer DV-466. I believed the salesman when he said it's progressive scan on PAL and NTSC, and on further inspection of the manual it seems he wasn't exactly lying but wasn't telling the whole truth either. Or maybe he didn't know. Anyway, from the manual

"When TV system is set to AUTO or NTSC only: When set to Progressive, PAL and NTSC discs are both output as progressive NTSC video.

When TV system is set to PAL only: Progressive cannot be selected."

The Sammy does NTSC so it's not that much of a problem, but I do feel a bit cheated. I haven't unpacked it yet and may take it back for a refund on something that does PAL progressive properly. Any recommendations guys ?

Cheers,

Paul.

What you'll get when set to output PS is: For native NTSC it will be output @ 480p, For native PAL it will be down converted and output as 480p - you lose resolution as PAL is 576

Take it back and tell them that you want a TRUE PS player, one that outputs NTSC @ 480i & 480p as well as PAL @ 576i & 576p

What you'll get when set to output PS is: For native NTSC it will be output @ 480p, For native PAL it will be down converted and output as 480p - you lose resolution as PAL is 576

Take it back and tell them that you want a TRUE PS player, one that outputs NTSC @ 480i & 480p as well as PAL @ 576i & 576p

That's what I thought. I'm still fiddling around setting everything up at the moment so for the time being I'll hook up the old DVD player (which at least has component out) and get a refund on the new one.

Did a quick scan around and the Yamaha DVD-S540 seems to be the only one at that $300 price point that does true PAL progressive. Sony don't make one but their spec sheets are so vague they may well have some models that do it. Samsung don't do one. LG have the DK-7942P which supposedly does it. If I spend more money it's available, I don't want to because the DVD player will be getting replaced with a HTPC in the next 6-12 months anyway.

Anyway, this is getting well off topic and probably shouldn't be here. If anyone has any further suggestions I'd appreciate an email though :blink:

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul,

Sony do make a true PAL progressive scan player. Its the DVP-NS730P, sub $300 price tag. Been out for about 4 months or so now. Many people on here own one.

It natively outputs 576p and 480p and does an excellent job on my 60" LG LCD RPTV.

Matt

Paul,

Sony do make a true PAL progressive scan player. Its the DVP-NS730P, sub $300 price tag. Been out for about 4 months or so now. Many people on here own one.

It natively outputs 576p and 480p and does an excellent job on my 60" LG LCD RPTV.

Matt

Thanks for the info Matt, I'll go shopping tomorrow :blink:

Cheers,

Paul.

Sony do make a true PAL progressive scan player.

And that's why it cost $300 Sony refuses to OEM de-interlacing chips and do their own e.g. DRC which is no where near as good as Silicon Image or DCDi. Pioneer may be doing the very same thing while Denon uses the Silicon S504 chipset! like the ad said "Oils ain't oil" its worth the extra dollars IF you have a large screen :blink:

cheers laurie

Paul,

Matt

Yep they sure do I'm using the high end Sony DVPNS930V (it cost me $908 and the Price includes 5 yrs total warranty.) and outputs 576p and 480p and the picture quality is Stunning on my Sammy. :blink:

I tested out a lot of DVD players and I choose the one which suited my 61" Sammy best and it was the Sony.

Here are the specs for my DVD player which I posted back in page 5 but since then Sony have changed them on their site also they removed the V from the end of the model No.…(They must have downgraded the Model because now it does not say that it supports PAL & NTSC Progressive scan and RBG SCART input.)

Features

* PAL & NTSC Progressive Scan Support

* Precision Drive 2

* Twin Laser Pick up

* Dynamic Tilt Compensation

* DVD-Video/CD/Video CD

* Multi-channel SACD

* CD-R/RW (CD-DA, VCD)

* MP3 (CD-R/RW)

* DVD+R/RW

* DVD-R/RW (Video Mode)

* DVD-RW (VR Mode)

* 108/12 bit V.DAC

Terminals - Outputs

* RBG SCART: x 2

* Component Video Output: x 1

* Digital Optical Output: x 1

* Video: x 1

* Analogue Audio 5.1 Channel Output: x 1

* Coaxial Digital Output: x 1

* S-Video Output: x 1

Audio

* 192kHz/24bit Audio DAC:

* 96kHz/24bit Digital Output:

* DCS for 5.1 Channel:

* DD & DTS Digital Output:

* Super Audio CD 5.1 Channel Output:

* VC Filter:

Construction

* Aluminium Front Panel:

* Flat Face Front panel:

* Union Jack FL Display:

Being LCD, has anyone had any problems with dead or lazy pixels on the these Samsung models?

I was in Domayne Taren Point and the display unit (50") seemed to have a dead pixel and another unit at JB (also 50") in Bankstown seems to have a few lazy (slightly discoloured) pixels. I saw the 60" at Retravision Auburn and it looked perfect, but I didn't have too much time to carefully check each area of the sreen. Also, it had no price marked.

According to Samsung they will only replace a unit under warrantly if there are 3 or more dead pixcels in the middle area of the screen. Doesn't really seem good enough for an item costing so much money. Keen to hear other people opinions though.

Cheers,

morkli.

I have 5-10 lazy pixels on my 46" Sammy that stay green, not sure if I'm going to do a warranty claim or not yet. The lazy ones aren't bright, so they are only really noticeable when you get right up close to the screen when it's showing a static black background. For the amount of effort involved in going through the warranty hoops I might just live with it, but I'm still a little disappointed this is happening on a TV that cost me $5.5k.

I'm sure I read something here or on another forum about these TV's liking a week or so of working hard to give their best picture, so I might give it a bit of time and re-evaluate.

Other than this issue I'm very happy with the TV. I got around to hooking up the amp and the B&W's last night.....X-Men 2 was excellent :blink:

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi all,

Just wondering with all you guys who are proud owners of the Samsung LCD or the LG LCD (me) .... what kind sound system do you have.

I'm shopping for a HT surround sound system to go with my LG, and am curious to know whether you guys use a surround system or just use the TV speakers.

For those of you who have a HT surround system, I'd like to know whether you use it for all your viewing sources ... or do you only use for DVD and use the TV speakers for broadcast, sattelite, vcr etc.

Also, what particular setup do you have (amp/speaker brands) ... and do you use the amp to do all the video switching as well.

Merry Xmas to all!!!

While the speakers in the Sammy's are pretty good for a TV, they aren't a patch on a decent HT setup :blink:

Personally, I have a Pioneer DSX-811 amp. It's 6.1, good quality, reasonably priced, comes with an excellent remote that can control a lot of different devices with the factory codes and is also programmable, and does video switching provided you are using the same inputs i.e. all composite/S-Video or all component. I hooked up the TV off the component out, so I can use the DVD player through the amp as it's going in via component but the PS2 with S-Video had to be hooked up to the TV directly. The HD STB will go in via component, so I can live with one video source (PS2) going into a different TV input. I'm not bothering with a VCR at all, VHS quality sucks on a normal TV and would look awful on the Sammy.

On the speaker front I have all B&W. DM308's for the front, DM302's for the rear surrounds, ASW500 actuve sub and CC3 front centre speaker. These are all a few years old now and cost a bit when new, but you can keep speakers for a lot longer than the rest of the gear so don't skimp. The CC3 is a bit small for the rest of the set and dialog can be lost, so it's going to be demoted to centre rear and I'll get a bigger one for the front centre. I'll probably go B&W again, been happy with their gear so far.

I use the full HT setup for any input source. I have all the gear and it cost a bit of money, so why not use it all the time ? :P

Cheers,

Paul.

pmacleod,

Knight Who Says Ni's 61" Sammy had a dead pixel and Samsung agreed to replace his unit.

Give them a call and have a talk to them about the problem. :blink:

Re: dead pixel, Samsung said they would replace the unit and the dealer has ordered the replacement unit for me - Pretty happy with that side of things

Cheers

Do these Samsung units show the number of hours of usage anywhere in the on screen display? I had a look through the menus in a store, but couldn't see it. Perhaps it's in the service menu?

My 50" Samsung will arrive "before 12 tomorrow." YAY :blink:

Sony do make a true PAL progressive scan player.

And that's why it cost $300 Sony refuses to OEM de-interlacing chips and do their own e.g. DRC which is no where near as good as Silicon Image or DCDi. Pioneer may be doing the very same thing while Denon uses the Silicon S504 chipset! like the ad said "Oils ain't oil" its worth the extra dollars IF you have a large screen :P

cheers laurie

I went to buy the Yamaha DVD-S540 today and somehow came home with a Toshiba SD530E instead.

http://www.leconcepts.com/dvd/toshdvd.htm#sd530e

Progressive PAL is handled properly by this model, and I tell you what it looks mighty sweet too :blink: $399 from Sydney Hi Fi in Parramatta. RRP is $499 so the price was OK I guess. More than I wanted to spend but I got sucked in because

1. It does DVD-Audio as well as the usual suite of formats including WMA, and

2. It had a catchy sounding super feature (Hyper Anti-Alias Filter) that is suppsed to do 540 horizontal lines instead of 500. More marketing than reality I'm sure, but it sounded like a good thing to have.

Anyway, if you are looking in this price bracket it's worth checking out. I better shut up now though, before I get moderated for thread-hijacking :P

Cheers,

Paul.